Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been calling this game Retard 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm getting it on Wii u. Retard 4 u

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't think we've seen any pain elementals in the trailers? Hope they look significantly different as well.
Well I'm pretty sure there are none, soooo

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

echronorian posted:

You don't have to stealth it at all

I guess I was wrong. I just remember getting clowned for breaking stealth in that part where you first escape because I was on the highest difficulty and am pretty bad.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Haha, Retard 4? What a strange moniker

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zzulu posted:

Haha, Retard 4? What a strange moniker

We were going to call it Thief 4 but

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Pre-Load is live - 43.8 GB download. Get to it scrubs.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Buca di Bepis posted:

I just did a full play through a couple weeks ago. You will aggro enemies from an extreme distance and they will shoot and easily hit you from the very edge of visibility. The snipers were actually easier to handle because they had a laser sight and a windup so you could catch them before they fired. I didn't mess with the difficulty settings. I don't know what it played like in 2013.

I figured maybe you played it nearer to release than I did since I read they were overtuned or something on release. Moving across stuff like the really long streets on New Eden (the second real mission) without being detected and disengaging is where cloaks comes in handy, though I find the guy down the street when you come out of the starting room is far enough to aggro. Same with their attacks, every once in a while they'll get lucky with their cone of fire and clip me but mostly they miss past a certain distance. Rolling with a squad of clones helps since they'll eat bullets for you and split up the enemy aim. The snipers don't actually have a windup as far as I can tell, the laser is just an extra attack that aim punches you and sends turrets flying, which I found really funny since I was expecting them to be literal HL2 snipers. I dunno man maybe enemy competence varies with the phases of the moon or something I honestly wouldn't be surprised with that game.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
I really hope snapmap turns into this Mario maker-ish thing with people constructing these elaborate maps. I can't wait to see fan recreations of basically any old doom map. Far cry 4 had some fun custom maps so it's a cool and good thing here too. Like forge mode hopefully.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Moochewmoo posted:

I really hope snapmap turns into this Mario maker-ish thing with people constructing these elaborate maps. I can't wait to see fan recreations of basically any old doom map. Far cry 4 had some fun custom maps so it's a cool and good thing here too. Like forge mode hopefully.

I've not used Forge mode, but from what I've read Snapmap is far more powerful and featured than Forge.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I hope SnapMap allows for rooms on top of rooms, or maps with more than one floor available, which I don't think I've seen an example of yet.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
It will be fail and bad if you can't recreate Aerowalk in it

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

AirRaid posted:

Pre-Load is live - 43.8 GB download. Get to it scrubs.
Megatextures!!!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

if you want to pay money sight unseen when they won't give out review codes go ahead and be one of the sacrifices for the review pit then

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Pomp posted:

if you want to pay money sight unseen when they won't give out review codes go ahead and be one of the sacrifices for the review pit then

k

Game's gonna be a fun romp, like Serious Sam, if nothing else

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

GreatGreen posted:

I hope SnapMap allows for rooms on top of rooms, or maps with more than one floor available, which I don't think I've seen an example of yet.

The blueprints do use elevation (in any preview video, look to the left of blueprint mode), and there are rooms that have/are stairs, so yes you very well should be able to.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Pomp posted:

Lol

Spudd posted:

k

Game's gonna be a fun romp, like Serious Sam, if nothing else

:hfive:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm preloading Retard 4

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

man nurse posted:

I'm preloading Retard 4

Battlefield's out already?

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
At the very least I'm glad they kept it demons from hell even if it's not as grim dark evil spooky satan skull face pentagram omg level progression is descending into hell as I like (from the psx and n64 doom perspective which is what I played the most...also big PC Quake fan).

Also that doom movie where it was just people whose inner good/inner evil was exposed was the worst poo poo ever, with amazing plot twits like the guy who you think would be evil was actually good at heart while The Rock was evil incarnate that. I still remember those cringey theatre audience reactions to the movie where nerds were clapping their hands and cheering as it shifted into fps mode. Dear God...

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Heavy Metal posted:

Unreal Tournament 2004 has 6 discs even, 5 install and 1 play disc.

At least there'll be nutty SnapMap co-op.

If you can play snap maps in co-op that complaint is basically irrelevant actually :D

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Ramsus posted:

At the very least I'm glad they kept it demons from hell even if it's not as grim dark evil spooky satan skull face pentagram omg level progression is descending into hell as I like (from the psx and n64 doom perspective which is what I played the most...also big PC Quake fan).

Also that doom movie where it was just people whose inner good/inner evil was exposed was the worst poo poo ever, with amazing plot twits like the guy who you think would be evil was actually good at heart while The Rock was evil incarnate that. I still remember those cringey theatre audience reactions to the movie where nerds were clapping their hands and cheering as it shifted into fps mode. Dear God...

I thought the FPS sequence was the only bit of fun in that dreary piece of crap.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Just got some Doom 64 action going on the PC. It's pretty decent. The guy did a good job porting it over.

https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/downloads/

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Ahundredbux posted:

If you can play snap maps in co-op that complaint is basically irrelevant actually :D

So during E3 they use an example of players doing survival arena snap maps together. So assuming it still holds true that should be the case.

Edit: An hour of snap map. Haven't watched it all, but hopefully the interviewers aren't to terrible.

https://youtu.be/QuxmnKyabpg

Moochewmoo fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 11, 2016

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

widespread posted:

Wonder why they decided "HEY LET'S TACK ON MP PEOPLE REMEMBER DOOM MP RIGHT" when I don't even think Multiplayer Doom existed before Quake.

Carmack was woken up the night after release by a college campus network administrator who'd found his number to yell at him for breaking his network.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Linguica posted:

Well I'm pretty sure there are none, soooo

In the full game? How do you know? that'd be kinda lame. They have lost souls so I don't see why not.

Ahundredbux posted:

Yeah there's definitely a co-op vs waves of enemies mode, and you can snapmap to create your own maps for co-op vs waves, which sounds pretty great.

You can even do things like have 2 players as monsters and 2 players as marines facing off with a bunch of NPC monsters in the middle.

SnapMap is the best part of Retard 4.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 11, 2016

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Keiya posted:

Carmack was woken up the night after release by a college campus network administrator who'd found his number to yell at him for breaking his network.

IPX 4 Lyfe.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

In the full game? How do you know? that'd be kinda lame. They have lost souls so I don't see why not.

Because the game is doom not doom 2 geez.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Deakul posted:

I haven't played anything Nintendo-related since the N64.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Deakul posted:

same but the gamecube, and i even own a wii

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Word on the street from advance copies is that the locked arena rooms are basically 95% of the game's combat, with enemy encounters in other places being very minimal. :whitewater:

I was kind of expecting a more even split.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Deakul posted:

:stare:

To be fair, Nintendo went off the rails afterwards so I can't really blame you. I skipped the Wii entirely because lol motion controls and SD only when HD was considered the new hotness.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 11, 2016

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Super Mario Galaxy was good yo

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Starhawk64 posted:

To be fair, NIntendo went off the rails afterwards so I can't really blame you. I skipped the Wii entirely because lol motion controls and still SD when HD was the new hotness.

Nintendo peaked with pokemon

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mung Dynasty posted:

Word on the street from advance copies is that the locked arena rooms are basically 95% of the game's combat, with enemy encounters in other places being very minimal. :whitewater:

I was kind of expecting a more even split.

Yeah that's... not good.

Arena shooting isn't terrible itself, but having most of the single player game encounters play out that way is telling of extremely lazy level design.

Hopefully those are just rumors?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Starhawk64 posted:

To be fair, NIntendo went off the rails afterwards so I can't really blame you. I skipped the Wii entirely because lol motion controls and still SD when HD was the new hotness.

Sorry, I also haven't owned a console since the N64.

Can't miss what I never had really.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

widespread posted:

Wonder why they decided "HEY LET'S TACK ON MP PEOPLE REMEMBER DOOM MP RIGHT" when I don't even think Multiplayer Doom existed before Quake.
You've been corrected on this already, but I thought I might throw an extra bit of trivia onto the pile:

DWANGO was essentially a subscription-based primitive lobby for players to organize dial-up modem play in Doom, the various other games using its engine (Heretic etc.) and other contemporary games like Duke 3D and Warcraft 2. While it was a third party service, Id Software took a cut from the initial profits and John Romero provided coding support for the client.

The service shut down in 1998 after free Internet-based online play like Quakeworld stole its thunder, but the Japanese division it had set up lived on and runs a number of online entertainment services.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Even if Retard 4 is mostly arena combat it's still going to be better than the turd known as Duke Nukem Forever.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Starhawk64 posted:

To be fair, NIntendo went off the rails afterwards so I can't really blame you. I skipped the Wii entirely because lol motion controls and SD only when HD was considered the new hotness.

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Can we get a mod in here?