Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Speaking of on-line services, last.fm doesn't seem to work with 64-bit Windows 7 any more. Oh well :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jerry Cotton posted:

Spotify is great for people who only listen to music that is on Spotify.

+1

It's a problem common to all streaming services. If a band you like happens to change record companies at some point during their career, it's a complete crapshoot which albums will be available, and which versions of those albums.

And if it's not a label that's at least semi-mainstream, it won't be available at all. A lot of the music I listen to is self-published through services like Bandcamp, or only available directly through a tiny record company in Finland or something. Good luck finding that stuff on Spotify.

I guess I'm kinda old-fashioned, but I prefer to own stuff rather than rent it.

E: I guess I could just get that Google Play subscription and use it to complement the music I've uploaded to the music locker, for music I'll only listen to once in a while or something.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 11:16 on May 10, 2016

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Well poo poo I dunno what you people are listening to. Even if I'm wanting to listen to obscure poo poo from tiny little Canadian bands in 2003 or a mid 90s emo band from Wichita or whatever 99% of it is there. The times I can't find something (that isn't just incredibly underground or unavailable like the first GY!BE cassette record) are memorable because they're so rare.

I own about 1500 records as well but Spotify is just the flat out best for convenience and breadth.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'll admit that I haven't used Spotify (or any other streaming service) much. The thing that really bothers me is that the music can just disappear if the record company and Spotify decide that they don't want to work together anymore. I don't like the idea of music just disappearing.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

KozmoNaut posted:

I'll admit that I haven't used Spotify (or any other streaming service) much. The thing that really bothers me is that the music can just disappear if the record company and Spotify decide that they don't want to work together anymore. I don't like the idea of music just disappearing.

Same. Maybe the concept of owning physical property is obsolete, soon everything will be licensed to you.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Buttcoin purse posted:

Same. Maybe the concept of owning physical property is obsolete, soon everything will be licensed to you.

If corporations have their way; it will.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think if you put a song in a Spotify playlist, it'll remain even if the album gets pulled. I had an artist whose music was pulled due to contract bullshit and I could still listen to his music on a playlist I made. The albums were only just reinstated.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Clamps McGraw posted:

The times I can't find something (that isn't just incredibly underground or unavailable like the first GY!BE cassette record) are memorable because they're so rare.
I just ran through the most-recently-added stuff on my phone and hit a half-dozen releases not available on Spotify in about five minutes. And that's skipping things like bootlegs/DJ services (which they'll never have and I don't expect them to), singles (which they really ought to have by the ton if you think about it—isn't everybody supposed to be "post-album" now?) and anything by Prince (WELP). This isn't a "MY TASTES ARE MORE REFINED/OBSCURE THAN YOURS" rant either, in a lot of cases they have plenty of other releases by that artist, just not the one I was looking for.

Their catalog is getting better, no question, but there are and always will be enormous gaps.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
i can't wait until audiophiles are an obsolete technology

*listens to streamed music using "good" quality on his $20 earbuds*

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

robodex posted:

i can't wait until audiophiles are an obsolete technology

*listens to streamed music using "good" quality on his $20 earbuds*

Audiophiles will never die. As long as humans exist, so will rubes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

I think if you put a song in a Spotify playlist, it'll remain even if the album gets pulled. I had an artist whose music was pulled due to contract bullshit and I could still listen to his music on a playlist I made. The albums were only just reinstated.

I'm pretty sure I've seen stuff from playlists disappear after Spotify lost the streaming rights, but if the app is caching your music you may still be able to listen to it.

I wish the options for loading your own music onto Spotify were easier. When it works it's great, but it's very picky with how the songs are named and any special characters in the titles. Still, that's one way to put non-Spotify music on there and listen to it in the same playlists.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spog posted:

If corporations have their way; it will.

Nah, the government will license you to other corporations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

I can't wait for nerds to become obsolete.

Never going to happen. Besides, why would you be suicidal?

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

KozmoNaut posted:

It's a problem common to all streaming services. If a band you like happens to change record companies at some point during their career, it's a complete crapshoot which albums will be available, and which versions of those albums.

Like if your favorite song by a band appears only on the deluxe version of an album, and Spotify only licenses the standard version. Or you can get weird situations like the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack, where they didn't get the rights to "Fool for Love". The song appears in the playlist, it just won't loving play!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The main strength of Spotify is for things you haven't known or cared enough about to buy - it's a good place to start if you're idly curious about an artist or genre, or to find things you vaguely remember liking in highschool.

Besides, browsing viral top50 for other countries is entertaining. (Denmark has a thing for extremely vulgar lyrics, and Finland has the highest amount of native-language music I've found. Finnish has about three times the ideal amount of syllables/word for rap, but that doesn't stop them from trying. And no, I don't speak a word of Finnish.)

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 17:25 on May 10, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Computer viking posted:

The main strength of Spotify is for things you haven't known or cared enough about to buy - it's a good place to start if you're idly curious about an artist or genre, or to find things you vaguely remember liking in highschool.

Besides, browsing viral top50 for other countries is entertaining. (Denmark has a thing for extremely vulgar lyrics, and Finland has the highest amount of native-language music I've found. Finnish has about three times the ideal amount of syllables/word for rap, but that doesn't stop them from trying. And no, I don't speak a word of Finnish.)

I used Spotify for something like this when my mom suddenly remembered that the BoDeans existed and wanted to know what happened to them. We played one of their latest slow, mournful soft rock songs and then forgot about them again.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Last Chance posted:

Audiophiles will never die. As long as humans exist, so will tubes.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I'm an old, and I actively avoid buying software, video or music on physical media, and have for years. All my music & movies have been purchased through iTunes or simply rented on demand via cable. When I move, I don't have to move anything with me; its automatic. As long as Apple stays in business, I don't have to do anything to preserve my entertainment media.

And this relates to the "long-term storage" conversation from earlier: someone else stores all my poo poo on some HD somewhere and backs it up repeatedly. I'm self-employed, so I Carbonite my whole business, but I have them back up my personal stuff too. Vacation photos, personal correspondence, everything.

Physical media for Joe Schmo is obsolete. Everything is backed up for you by someone else, even stuff you originally bought on physical media a long time ago. All you have to do is transfer to digital & you're good to go. (Which I never actually did...the first music I bought via iTunes forever ago was Sign O The Times by Prince, which I still had on CD. $9.99 was worth the pain in the rear end of ripping it.)

THAT SAID... a vinyl album played on good speakers is vastly superior to an MP3 played through earbuds. I'm on my phone so I don't know how to add the can-of-worms emote.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ah, but how does vinyl through earbuds compare to mp3 through speakers?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
my way is better

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Samizdata posted:

Never going to happen. Besides, why would you be suicidal?

I read your posts.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I sing.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Edit: Not the place to start an argument about the merits of streaming music services.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 20:10 on May 10, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I noticed something similarly slimy when I downloaded an album that I bought as a physical CD onto iTunes. Before the advent of Apple Music, I could just cloud sync my phone and download the music. When Apple Music hit, however, it suddenly blocked that off via subscription. I had the music already downloaded and stored on my phone, but it refused to let me play it unless I paid for a subscription. The only way to get it back was to plug my phone into my computer and manually add the music to my phone via iTunes.

Looks like it's a good thing I bought the physical album, because who knows whether Apple would have just deleted the stuff I paid for at random?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Computer viking posted:

Ah, but how does vinyl through earbuds compare to mp3 through speakers?

The speakers will sound better. It's basically output, quality of the reader, quality of the input in that order until you get to *really* crappy encodes or scratched up records.

That said vinyl is great because it has physicality, the trend of digital for most people and vinyl+digital for collectors is one I whole-heartedly approve of.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
ON the subject of disc storage and tech: What is the status on the 100-200-300+ CD disc changers for homes? Looking on Amazon, it seems like almost every model I look at is discontinued.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mercy killed because of the inconvenience of trying to organize 300 CDs must've been a nightmare. Now the answer is just: Spotify.

The bigger question is: Why would you ever want one?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm probably a little old-school, I prefer to preserve the wholeness of the album even if I only really like one or two tracks. It probably depends a lot on genres too, I have a bunch of concept albums. But if you primarily listen to genres where albums tend more towards single collections, I can see why you'd only keep the tracks you really like.

For me, I have a bunch of albums where I originally only liked a couple of tracks, but as I listened to the album more and more, I started liking the other tracks as well. It would have sucked to have deleted them before giving them a proper chance.

Mostly when I listen to music I do it while also doing something else, like working or driving or playing a video game, so I tend to go for things with energy to them, if that makes sense at all. Basically when I'm driving I don't want to listen to a ballad or soft instrumental. So I just keep the "fun" tracks, for the most part.

Absolete tech / CD related dumb complaint: I keep seeing 5 disc CD changers at the thrift store and being disappointed they're not LD players.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Boiled Water posted:

The bigger question is: Why would you ever want one?

This is probably the second worst thread to ask "Why would you want that?" in regards to old music playing methods.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

JediTalentAgent posted:

ON the subject of disc storage and tech: What is the status on the 100-200-300+ CD disc changers for homes? Looking on Amazon, it seems like almost every model I look at is discontinued.

I bought a Sony 200CD unit for my shop and filled it with CD's set on "random song" in -1995. It was great, kinda like my own radio station. Clunky and limited, but still great.

Now I do the same thing with a fully loaded 64gig thumbdrive.

There's a reason nobody wants them anymore.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

JediTalentAgent posted:

I had a Sony 200 CD changer back around '99-'00. Used it for a few years after that until I got an iPod and enough hard drive space to make it impractical. It took forever to make a list of the discs in there. The upscale model had a keyboard input so you could enter in song titles and poo poo but gently caress all that.

Been said better by a bunch of people now but with Google music I've got 90% of what is like to listen to available at all times. I've got enough space on every device that isn't connected to my home computer that I'm very, very seldom wanting for something to listen to. I definitely do not miss the bad old days of gigantic CD suitcases.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Are you seriously trying to say CDs are heavy now?

Vinyl is a loving pain in the loving arse. CDs are merely a loving pain in the arse. So there's that.

Anyway I got all my CDs and digitised them and now I have shelves. Shelves are cool.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

I read your posts.

:iceburn:

Havem't seen that one in a while. Does that make it obsolete?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Someone who is good at design should invent a bulky physical object that just has some flash memory inside and a proprietary plug. Something that you can cover with good "album art", partially made of wood, that's a pain to carry around but not that much of a pain.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Someone who is good at design should invent a bulky physical object that just has some flash memory inside and a proprietary plug. Something that you can cover with good "album art", partially made of wood, that's a pain to carry around but not that much of a pain.

I'm thinking NES cartridge in nicer materials?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Computer viking posted:

I'm thinking NES cartridge in nicer materials?

Its shape could be reminiscent of an NES cartridge, in a subtle way that appeals to the lizard brain.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Dumb (potentially audiophile-y) question:

At what point did we just decide that CD quality was going to be the best we'd ever strive for in non-disc based audio quality?
It's been a long time since I cared that much about it (or had an audio system good enough), but anyone who has heard the "Hell Freezes Over" DVD by The Eagles and compared the DTS mix to the normal mix would say it's a night and day difference. Back when Tidal was first announced I was actually excited that someone had moved technology on - but it turns out that they were simply pusing "indistinguishable to a CD" as though it were some kind of holy grail. I thought I might have had an excuse to go find my old Sennheiser cans

tldr yada yada mellows warmth and all that poo poo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sarcastx posted:

At what point did we just decide that CD quality was going to be the best we'd ever strive for in non-disc based audio quality?

My understanding is that higher sampling rates are only useful in production. For a competently mastered product, 44.1 kHz is as good as it gets. Same for bits∕sample: 16 is sufficient if you don’t do something dumb like apply dynamic range compression.

If you want more channels, okay fine.

That brings us to a possible answer: headphones/earbuds don’t need more than two channels. That’s why the music industry stopped bothering, I’d venture.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 06:51 on May 12, 2016

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
"Most people don't give a poo poo" is the best answer to the audio quality argument. I'm not an audiophile by most standards but I do want my music to sound the best it can under whatever circumstances. Given that the majority of people aren't going to be sitting down in a nice sound proof room with high quality audio gear CDs and high quality files/streaming is perfectly fine. And I tend to agree for the most part.

One thing I wish was more popular is multi channel recordings of some stuff. The flaming lips yoshimi album in 5.1 is really loving cool to hear. I realize not a lot of music would benefit from the surround experience but that's an option I'd like to have for certain things.

There was SACD but it didn't really catch on. I'm guessing that most people didn't want to buy the player or yet another copy of their albums. Not to mention you would have to have some pretty decent stereo gear to even be able to tell the difference. It's a shame because I've heard some SACDs on good gear and they really do sound loving amazing.

Grumbletron 4000 has a new favorite as of 06:36 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So far, absolutely no one has been able to conclusively hear any difference between CD quality and "high resolution" of the same mastered audio.

CD quality exceeds the capabilities of human hearing, so there's absolutely no reason to go beyond that for playback quality.

Hell, most people can't reliably distinguish between CD quality and 128kbps MP3.