Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Mans posted:

Natonalist idiots are attacking Portuguese people in Poland because they think we're Arabs. did they privatize sun rays during the 90's and everyone in Poland is a pale ghoul or something? :psyduck:

stop being so brown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Mans posted:

Natonalist idiots are attacking Portuguese people in Poland because they think we're Arabs. did they privatize sun rays during the 90's and everyone in Poland is a pale ghoul or something? :psyduck:

They're attacking everyone who's not Polish right now, including Spaniards, Italians, Romanians even Ukrainians. The government encourages it through its silence in the face of the rapidly growing number of these incidents and through things like its official spokesman for equality saying, when asked, that a hotel owner has the right to deny service based on things like sexual orientation, religious faith and even color of skin if it clashes with his deeply held beliefs and convictions. Duckman needs the nationalists and hooligans who perpetrate these attacks as his military arm if poo poo goes down because PiS electorate is church grandmas and villagers.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Polish nationalists:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Don't worry, my Spanish friends were regularly attacked in the streets for their looks way before PO/PiS was a thing. Poland has always been intolerant. Of course now that this is getting silent support from the government and the average middle-class Joe got openly racist it's doubled down.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 11, 2016

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

alex314 posted:

Polish nationalists:

I admire this rare moment of introspection when faced with the glorification of child soldiers

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Pierogi posted:

I admire this rare moment of introspection when faced with the glorification of child soldiers

I don't know if you're being silly or you missed it but he's pissing on that child soldier's monument.

edit: for non-Poles his shirt say "Death to Enemies of the Fatherland"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm pretty sure he understood the picture right.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mans posted:

That's not really Poland-specific. Here in US a plane got held up because "Middle-Eastern looking" man was scribbling something strange and not explaining it to the lady sitting next to him.
Turned out he was an Italian-born economics professor working for a prestigious university working out some math in preparation for a talk he was going to give.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

alex314 posted:

Polish nationalists:

Maybe he thought this was the Manneken Pis.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

A Pale Horse posted:

I don't know if you're being silly or you missed it but he's pissing on that child soldier's monument.

edit: for non-Poles his shirt say "Death to Enemies of the Fatherland"

Yes I get it. If a right wing numbnut figures out we should not be celebrating child soldiers* I am all for it even if his method of expression stems from the urethra.

*note that this is my headcanon only

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pierogi posted:

Yes I get it. If a right wing numbnut figures out we should not be celebrating child soldiers* I am all for it even if his method of expression stems from the urethra.

*note that this is my headcanon only

Yeah, gently caress that kid, that little smug rear end in a top hat is just trying to be the center of attention.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

oh god.

gently caress us! gently caress us for putting a literal child soldier on a pedestal for other children to admire.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You are right, it's not a poignant and tragic memorial to the victims of the genocide, which forced even children to suffer the horrors of war, it's a monument to the glory of child soldiery.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

You are right, it's not a poignant and tragic memorial to the victims of the genocide, which forced even children to suffer the horrors of war, it's a monument to the glory of child soldiery.

that is precisely what is - a memorial glorifying the sacrifice of the child soldiers of Warsaw Uprising. I can imagine a more fitting monument to the obvious suffering of children, yes, even those who weren't forced to bear arms.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Maybe if you look at that statue and think "This is definitely meant to be awesome as hell" the problem isn't in the statue.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Pierogi posted:

oh god.

gently caress us! gently caress us for putting a literal child soldier on a pedestal for other children to admire.

Are you forgetting that the Nazis were liquidating Warsaw building by building, killing everyone indiscriminately? Is it somehow more noble or less horrifying for children to die by an executioner's bullet than fighting back for their survival? Its not like child soldiers were a planned thing from the beginning of the uprising, they're a thing that happened because the Nazis went full Genghis Khan on Warsaw. That memorial makes me very sad, and I hope that's its intended purpose, and also makes others feel that way. I don't think it was placed for children to aspire to or admire, but rather for their parents to remember the absolute degradation of the human spirit and the annihilation of innocence that war causes.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I rest my case before we delve into tactilol territory of strategic value of child soldiers on the battlefield.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Ffs, I've posted that picture so we'd make fun of shitheads who call themselves patriots. There's something wrong with you if you think that statue glorifies child soldiers.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

alex314 posted:

Ffs, I've posted that picture so we'd make fun of shitheads who call themselves patriots. There's something wrong with you if you think that statue glorifies child soldiers.

What's their angle, anyway? Why would a Polish nationalist have an issue with a memorial for a Polish fighter?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
It's pretty clearly not saying "child soldiers are good and cool," and instead saying "look how bad it was, even children fought and died." It's not encouraging kids to become child soldiers any more than it is encouraging adults to destroy Warsaw with artillery.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OddObserver posted:

What's their angle, anyway? Why would a Polish nationalist have an issue with a memorial for a Polish fighter?

My guess is "The Nazis were after the Jews of the Warsaw ghetto" -> "The memorial is to the Jews" -> "I hate Jews"

(No need to lecture me on why this is ridiculous)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

OddObserver posted:

It's a homoliberonazist monument meant to oppress the Polish fighting spirit.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Probably just an idiot boor.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

alex314 posted:

There's something wrong with you if you think that statue glorifies child soldiers.

There's something wrong with me but at least I'm not alone, here's a little retrospective:
http://histmag.org/Maly-Powstaniec-duza-hanba-8501

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I am actually curious what a monument designed to unambiguously glorify and promote child soldiering would look like. For a friend, I mean.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
I'll just leave this awesome youtube channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCS5tt2z_DFvG7-39J3aE-bQ

With gems such as: How to squat like a slav https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-8gsWZqDBM

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Well this took a nice turn.

Ideally you don't want a war. If you have a war on your hands, ideally children shouldn't fight in it. But, as this person posted:

A Pale Horse posted:

Nazis went full Genghis Khan on Warsaw.

These people were war heroes. Yes, they were also children, and that's all sorts of hosed up. But does that mean they don't deserve a monument for their sacrifice? I don't think so.

And it conveys the message of "poo poo's hosed" quite well if you ask me. You could argue the motif isn't appropriate all day, but the shock value is very well there, as evidenced by this discussion. It did exactly its job. If it was a boring plaque on some street corner, we wouldn't be having a discussion about child soldiers right now.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

If the choices is dying with a gun in your hands or not, and you'll die all the same... Don't take a real bright kid to put it together and pick up that gun.

It's one of the real problems with trying to eradicate a population rather than subjugate it. Subjugating them mostly requires taking out all the fighting age males. Eradicating them is going to involve fighting everyone, women and children included. Modern firearms' democratization of violence is probably one of the only reasons the 19th-20th centuries weren't bloodier still.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

There's a growing (I think?) sentiment that the Warsaw uprising was a reckless mistake. It was not heroic because the outcome was predictably destructive. That it should be treated as a cautionary tale against unhealthy patriotism (which was feverish coming out of a century of boiling under bondage) rather than a noble act of defiance. Some go so far as to call it selfish martyrdom.

I don't agree, but I can't say the few first hand accounts from my family left me impartial (it's not something they talked about often). Warsaw could definitely tone down the annual remembrance (celebrations?), though.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 11, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Imo the nuance of the statue having the helmet be too big and the weapon just hanging from the neck looking too heavy for the child to lift sway it into a victim memorial and not an idolization. The child could have been easily shown in an aggressive pose running at the enemy considering how the subject is seen in Poland. Which is an entire different matter in itself...

I don't have a problem with the monument but what I'm critical of is the self-explainatory sentiment in Poland that those child soldiers were necessary sacrifices. When child soldiers in current-day conflicts are shown on the news you'll hear people being disgusted by it but somehow doing the same during WW2 in Poland (not only during the Warsaw Uprising) is glorified with no place allowed for asking questions. You will hear many reasons why it was a different situation as if those modern armies don't also have a reasoning of their own. Those Polish children were given weapons in a conflict entirely outside of their understanding to fight for a cause that the adults decided to sacrifice themselves for.

You can argue that the alternative for those children was death but that's not that clearly cut just as the necessity of the Warsaw Uprising isn't. Children were consciously used as soldiers way before the Uprising started and when I read on the official websites that it's the poor underground recruiters who were "pressured" by those children into sending them to battle it really rubs me the wrong way. But before I'm eaten alive here I'll say that I don't consider either side as clearly right here but it's something I'd like to see critically considered more often because during the next conflict that Poland finds itself in I expect children to be used as soldiers way more eagerly specifically because of the glorified nature of the WW2 symbol.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Palpek posted:

But before I'm eaten alive here I'll say that I don't consider either side as clearly right here but it's something I'd like to see critically considered more often because during the next conflict that Poland finds itself in I expect children to be used as soldiers way more eagerly specifically because of the glorified nature of the WW2 symbol.

That's preposterous.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ok, I went a step too far with that but if you google children soldiers in Polish you'll see how the subject is usually presented. I remember a website aimed at children saying that those soldiers "loved their country so much that they left their toys and went to help the adults free the city" and this kind of perspective makes me angry.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Pale Horse posted:

They're attacking everyone who's not Polish right now, including Spaniards, Italians, Romanians even Ukrainians. The government encourages it through its silence in the face of the rapidly growing number of these incidents and through things like its official spokesman for equality saying, when asked, that a hotel owner has the right to deny service based on things like sexual orientation, religious faith and even color of skin if it clashes with his deeply held beliefs and convictions. Duckman needs the nationalists and hooligans who perpetrate these attacks as his military arm if poo poo goes down because PiS electorate is church grandmas and villagers.

so when did poland hate russia so much they started out-russianing the russians?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

There's a growing (I think?) sentiment that the Warsaw uprising was a reckless mistake. It was not heroic because the outcome was predictably destructive. That it should be treated as a cautionary tale against unhealthy patriotism (which was feverish coming out of a century of boiling under bondage) rather than a noble act of defiance. Some go so far as to call it selfish martyrdom.

I don't agree, but I can't say the few first hand accounts from my family left me impartial (it's not something they talked about often). Warsaw could definitely tone down the annual remembrance (celebrations?), though.

Well the Reds din't save them. Almost as though Stalin wanted the non red poles to die needlessly.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

I am actually curious what a monument designed to unambiguously glorify and promote child soldiering would look like. For a friend, I mean.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

OddObserver posted:

It's some drunk rear end in a top hat that thinks wearing partiotic t- shirt makes him better and give an opportunity to act like an rabid monkey. His brain can hold only one excuse at a time, and now it's all about "cursed soldiers". Warsaw Uprising was used about 3 years ago.

Reminds me of a movie some right wing shithead made about polish hooligans, where statements of hools could be summer as "sure, we destroy stuff and steal, but should Russians attack we'll be the first to fight them".

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

:japan::hf::poland:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Well the Reds din't save them. Almost as though Stalin wanted the non red poles to die needlessly.

Or maybe the Red Army had extended to the furthest point thier supplies could manage and it was just a case of poor timing by the uprising?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Right sector dropped propaganda pamphlets on the victory day parade in Donetsk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx1bPZeRwnc

there is also some nice shots of the airport ruins in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Xerxes17 posted:

Or maybe the Red Army had extended to the furthest point thier supplies could manage and it was just a case of poor timing by the uprising?

Initially, perhaps, but it lasted for two whole months. That's plenty of time. The Soviets had also:

- broadcast calls for the Poles to stage an uprising, including specifically in Warsaw, for months before they actually reached the city,
- refused to provide air or artillery support,
- publicly wondered whether or not the participants of the uprising are cooperating with the Germans,
- refused to let Western Allied planes on supply runs use Soviet airfields, even those not in the direct vicinity of the front line,
- prioritised the Balkans for supplies in full knowledge that the uprising was going on,
- allowed the 1st Polish Army to cross the river and try to support the Home Army, proving they had the capacity to commit to that fight, then severely restricted any support for their beachhead until it collapsed.

Compare to the Western Allied reaction to the uprising in Paris: despite being similarly unaware of the exact plans for it, they immediately dispatched two divisions to help the uprising, in spite of being similarly - if not more - hamstrung by logistics. The enemy resistance was smaller, no doubt, but it remains obvious that the Soviets, including Stalin personally, had no political will to aid the Warsaw Uprising. Claiming that they intended it to bleed out the resistance is mere speculation, of course, but saying that they totally would help you guys!!! why didn't you cooperate!!! is simply unfounded.