Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

dipwood posted:

Are there any multiplayer Factorio groups? I haven't played in a while and I remember the coop being amazing with a bunch of people.

I was also thinking the smaller multiplayer/coop games that goons play could use a sort of ETC GAMES Discord, for games not popular enough to have its own discord, but creating a sort of big pool of available players for the mainly indie multiplayer games. Especially Multiwinia, that game was so fun. And AI War, Dawn of Discovery, Civilization, Paradox Games (EU4, CK2, Vic2), etc.

This comes up every few pages and the people who are interested all agree it would be great but no-one has done anything because :effort:

The rapid inserter in circuits thing: buffer into boxes. But you knew that, people just want to keep using the same designs/blueprints I suppose? Maybe they'll change things again before release after some play testing, who knows. Letting the first couple of stack tech levels apply to fast and smart inserters might work. Or they may just do it and see how we cope with the design problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
For what it's worth I have #factgoonio on synIRC if anyone's interested in chatter there. It's mostly dead an inactive though.

EDIT: Not that it should stop you from making that channel. I'd love to play each of those games with other goons at some point.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 7, 2016

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Ratzap posted:

This comes up every few pages and the people who are interested all agree it would be great but no-one has done anything because :effort:

The rapid inserter in circuits thing: buffer into boxes. But you knew that, people just want to keep using the same designs/blueprints I suppose? Maybe they'll change things again before release after some play testing, who knows. Letting the first couple of stack tech levels apply to fast and smart inserters might work. Or they may just do it and see how we cope with the design problem.

I'm always on Discord in probably a dozen servers now, so why not one more? I made one for Overwatch on day 1 and now it's the official goon Overwatch discord, so that was cool.

https://discord.gg/0zqgS4W4YyjHSxjM

Rather than just limiting it to Factorio (although I'm making this primarily for Factorio), there's a lot of niche games I'd like to play MP sometimes so I'll expand it whenever I feel like playing more stuff or if people want to jump on ship and add games to it themselves from other threads.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
can we play some rocket roller derby disco dodgeball? i want to play that video game

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Chunjee posted:

A cool project would be an application to select and download approved mods, sharable via a "string" like the popular blueprints mod. I'm also imagining a web interface to set some map parameters and spin up a multiplayer server, but that's a little overkill.

Minecraft basically has this, the Technic Launcher. Some mod curator got a crapload of disparate mods to work together, all you do is hit "Install Modpack" and boom, everyone's playing the same version of Technic. It owns. Last I saw it had a bunch of other modpacks too but Technic 4lyfe :cool:

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Please look below for updated server details!

Regallion fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 20, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
So for those playing with Homeworld mod the Seeder throws a lua error when it's attempting to run one of the tree programs. I fixed that and ran it for a full cycle and had no trees sprout so gently caress it, I'm going to mass deconstruct and/or sawmill locations for wood. The terraformer throws an error when you put it down instantly which is a shame because the mod also changed the concrete recipe to be more expensive and require more materials; the terraformer sounded like it could do the job with one of the terraformer programs instead.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
So far the goon server mentioned 2 posts above has been a rousing success, although clearly I picked some poor timing to start this up with Stellaris coming out and so many people having the same interests (Factorio and Stellaris both scratch that empire-building itch), but if anyone joins Discord and wants to hop on the dedicated server, just let me know and I'll join you.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

The server is doing just fine.
Would be lovely to see a few more people round here tho, 3 is just not cutting it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'll be joining in once I'm back from vacation next week.

I've clocked like 6 hours of play. I'm obviously an expert. What could go wrong?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

DmitriX posted:

The server is doing just fine.
Would be lovely to see a few more people round here tho, 3 is just not cutting it.

I'm downloading the modpack to tool around with a bit single player, I'll see about checking out the server later on today I suppose. What's the worst that could happen?

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
If you join in, get on the Discord chat at https://discord.gg/0zqgS4W4YyjHSxjM for planning and so that connectivity issues can be troubleshot.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 31, 2022

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Unfortunately the Factorio Mods site is very out of date, and possibly hosts some malware mods. Factorio version 0.12 changed the modding interface, and a lot of mods on the site weren't updated from 0.11.x to 0.12.x.

The best source for mods is the official forums. Each mod on Factorio Mods has a link to its official forums thread, which should lead you to the 0.12.x version of the mod. You can also try googling the mod, of course.

The game itself is pretty easy to mod, but things may change and break between updates.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Check you're downloading 0.12.x mods and not 0.11.x

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Yesterdays FFF is all about circuit network changes: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-138

It's worth a read anyway but the main change list is below

quote:

TLDR version of all the circuit network changes implemented and coming to 0.13

Power switch, which can turn electricity on or off automatically based on circuit condition.
You can turn off pumps, offshore pumps, insertes, belts, lamps and power switches directly using a logistic condition.
The lamp can change it's color based on circuit network signals.
Roboport is connectable to the circuit network. It sends the logistic network contents.
Accumulator is connectable to the circuit network. It sends it's charge level as a percentage.
Transport Belt is connectable to the circuit network. It can be turned on or off and it can send it's contents to the circuit network.
Requester chest's requested items can be set automatically from the circuit network.
Inserters can now send the item held in hand to the circuit network. Smart inserter can have it's filters set automatically from the circuit network.
Connected Red/Green wires are highlighted when hovering over a combinator or entity connected to the circuit network.
Combinators show some information in alt mode, including input and output arrows.
More virtual signals.
The constant combinator has an on/off switch.
New combinator graphics and graphical improvements.
Constant combinator can be rotated.
All types of inserters can be controlled by the circuit and logistic network, once the respective network is researched.
All types of chests can be connected to the circuit network. Smart Chest was removed from the game.
Circuit network and logistic network conditions can now be accessed by icons in the top-right corner of the entity's GUI, for all entities.
Decider combinator "input count" option makes the combinator copy the count of the specified output signal from the input signals, instead of copying the count from the condition. This might break some setups. https://forums.factorio.com/13706

The plan is to release 0.13 soon. I'll try to get more things ready. The list of plans now is as follows(in no particular order)

Mining drill - read the amount of resources remaining, read the Pumpjack resources per minute
Gate - Detect if a player is nearby, close and open the gate
Train Station - read the contents of the stopped train and control trains by disabling/enabling the station
Train Signals - still in the process of designing it. Basically be able to stop trains or see if a train is about to arrive

0.13 is shaping up to be a very interesting set of changes with a lot more automation possibilities. Don't bank on being able to load older saves though going on parts of this list (like smart chests vanishing).

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
did the revamped tech tree make it into 0.13? I really hate that blue science oil brick wall, even now.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
THIS is the important part

quote:

Circuit Network Connector Discarded

If you remember my last FFF I wrote about adding a new entity called Circuit Network Connector that would have been used for connecting normal entities to the circuit network. The community had some good examples of why it was a bad idea, so we went back to the way it worked before. This means that you can continue to connect entities to the circuit network directly.

It's sad that it's so rare in the games industry, but this is one of the reasons Factorio is in my Top 5 Games :buddy:

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 31, 2022

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
So, uh, is there a way to chat in multiplayer?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Don't you just press Enter? Or T? It's one of those, check the controls.

Voice chat is easier, and setting up a discord server is free.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Solumin posted:

Don't you just press Enter? Or T? It's one of those, check the controls.

Voice chat is easier, and setting up a discord server is free.
The hilariously tragic UI answer is that in the options menu the chat key is actually labelled as "Toggle LUA Console"

Somehow this wasn't bound to anything for me. After resetting to defaults it is now ~

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
My bad, I forgot this is the one game that doesn't have an actual chat window.

Seriously though, use voice chat if possible.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

DmitriX posted:

So i just decided to say "screw it" and made a dedicated server for factorio.
The server is available 24/7.
If no players are on it the game auto-pauses.

Factorio version: 0.12.33

Server IP
IP: 95.172.92.112
port: no port(default)
Modpack
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5731fAic3Bgem4yTU40OHJHSUE
(you need to have this exact set of mods)

Join the discord!
https://discord.gg/0zqgS4W4YyjHSxjM

The server is rebooted now with a new mod set and map.
The new mod set is bob's mods, the link to modpack can be found in the quote.
Feel free to join the fun.
The difficulty is set to be fairly low as this is the chill way to cruise to v13.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

DmitriX posted:

bob's mods

good luck!

(i'd join but people like playing games with more than 10 fps)

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Zetsubou-san posted:

good luck!

Yeah i can't do much about connection speeds from faraway places sadly.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

Zetsubou-san posted:

good luck!

Simulation speed is linked to player connection times? woof.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
They do their best but it's a lockstep simulation. If someone's behind, everyone is behind. This is why you should turn down the latency setting as low as it will go when launching a multiplayer server.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Solumin posted:

This is why you should turn down the latency setting as low as it will go when launching a multiplayer server.

Nooooooo

The higher you set Latency, the smoother it is (but the more delayed your actions are)

The lower you set it, the choppier it is, relative to the slowest person's lag (but the more responsive your actions are)

Ideally, you have the slowest person ping your IP before you start the server, and set the Latency ~20 ms higher than that. The game is smooth as silk, even connecting Australia to NY. On the other hand, once Latency is over 300 you can kiss any chance of driving a car in a straight line goodbye and combat can get kinda iffy. If you just set it as low as possible, it'll chop like heck unless you're right next to each other on a LAN or something.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Fortunately the person I play with is only a state away, so 33 ms latency works great :haw:

Thank you for explaining the difference!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So I was fooling around with the console (i'm still getting a handle on balancing oil production well enough for my liking). I decided to cheat myself extra module-3's and the raw material to launch a rocket. With the belts filled and electricity turned on 1:09 from start until it starts building the next rocket is pretty close to the upper limit right?

Other oddities brought up some questions too. Low density structure and Rocket Fuel stacked to the hundreds inside the silo, but Rocket Control units would barely ever go higher. Is there a reason for that or is it just a bug?

Now I need to get the rest of my factory up to snuff to do that level of production naturally. Low density structure I could manage but after the first launch it would starve from lack of plastic. Making red chips are a huge bottle neck for me right now, which again I feel might be due to plastic. Rocket Fuel would just be a massive increase of oil production dedicated to solid fuel, which I think fixing plastics would manage.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

(i'm still getting a handle on balancing oil production well enough for my liking)

Do you mean, like changing the variables, or deciding how much of each product to produce? Because vanilla factorio has that problem where only a single item(flamethrower fuel) ever requires using anything but gas, leading to large cracking facilities to supplement your refineries. While making solid fuel from gas is inefficient, it's still possible which is just...unfortunate.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DmitriX posted:

The server is rebooted now with a new mod set and map.
The new mod set is bob's mods, the link to modpack can be found in the quote.
Feel free to join the fun.
The difficulty is set to be fairly low as this is the chill way to cruise to v13.

Urgh, gets pretty stuttery when I join. Could I ask you to bump up the min. latency a bit, or would that make things too inconvenient for everyone else?

(Alternatively, I could just jump on when no-one else is around, and then "fix" a few little things. With hilarious results.)

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

(Alternatively, I could just jump on when no-one else is around, and then "fix" a few little things. With hilarious results.)

Which is of course half the fun of MP games. Pixies rebuild things between your visits and you get to go 'fix' their stuff.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

DmitriX posted:

Do you mean, like changing the variables, or deciding how much of each product to produce? Because vanilla factorio has that problem where only a single item(flamethrower fuel) ever requires using anything but gas, leading to large cracking facilities to supplement your refineries. While making solid fuel from gas is inefficient, it's still possible which is just...unfortunate.

Things like: Do I pipe or tanker lubricant from my cracking hellscape to my blue belt factory? How much Sulfer do I really need?

In reality all these issues are all solved by making more pumps and refinery's, in common factorio style.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Go with tankers. Trains are cooler

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Jabor posted:

Urgh, gets pretty stuttery when I join. Could I ask you to bump up the min. latency a bit, or would that make things too inconvenient for everyone else?

Switched latency to 200.(from 100)
Let's see if that works out better

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Is it wrong that I could care less about the circuit changes and just want the new rail stuff to get pushed ASAP? This wait is killing me, especially in the wake of Stellaris' ugly release. I was hoping I'd be able to run back to Factorio while I wait for the UI and AI fixes slated for the end of May get implemented, but the thought of the :effort: portion of getting a rail network up is turning me off.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Today's FFF: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-139

It talks about MP, in particular how they are integrating game finding and steam friends. They're also dropping peer to peer for 0.13 as well which most people probably won't care about.
There's nothing about mod support though so presumably modded games would need to be advertised differently. Or maybe they will have some sort of text box next to a game in the finder where you could put a URL for a mod pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

NatasDog posted:

Is it wrong that I could care less about the circuit changes and just want the new rail stuff to get pushed ASAP? This wait is killing me, especially in the wake of Stellaris' ugly release. I was hoping I'd be able to run back to Factorio while I wait for the UI and AI fixes slated for the end of May get implemented, but the thought of the :effort: portion of getting a rail network up is turning me off.

So, you do care about circuit changes? :confused: