Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

AtomD posted:

fuckin windows store is chinese market level garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

AtomD posted:

fuckin windows store is chinese market level garbage

gotta race them all

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i got a need. a need for asphalt

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

akadajet posted:

i got a need. a need for asphalt

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

I remember being amazed at the quality of that video at the time.

almost as if that were the reason they put it there.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

akadajet posted:

lol I just tried it. why does a calculator need a ios style loading screen?

what's an "iOS style loading screen?"

iOS apps shouldn't have "loading screens," they should just come up exactly as they last were, as if they had been running the entire time and are immediately ready to use

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

it's because so many stupid apps do it in contravention of apple's HIG (because OUR BRAND) people think it's "iOS style"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

iOS has loading screens, you're app is required to supply images that get displayed while it's starting up.

Every single built-in iOS app has one, you just don't notice it because it's the normal lightly colored background rectangles of the UI without any of the text (because you can't supply locale-specific images), and it cross fades to the real active UI in half a second or so.

Companies who aren't Apple use '90s-era logo splash screens while the app spends 10 seconds loading because they terrible and/or aren't allowed to make their frameworks a permanent always loaded part of the OS that's shared with every app.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

we add a 5 second splash screen with our logo to all of our apps even though it takes less than a second to actually load everything :)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

fart simpson posted:

we add a 5 second splash screen with our logo to all of our apps even though it takes less than a second to actually load everything :)

same

and while apple discourages this, microsoft actually strongly encourages it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

THC posted:

same

and while apple discourages this, microsoft actually strongly encourages it
A well-designed splash screen can make your app more inviting. The Windows Store uses the simple, understated splash screen shown below:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

eschaton posted:

what's an "iOS style loading screen?"

iOS apps shouldn't have "loading screens," they should just come up exactly as they last were, as if they had been running the entire time and are immediately ready to use

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/MobileHIG/LaunchImages.html

quit playing dumb

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

anthonypants posted:

A well-designed splash screen can make your app more inviting. The Windows Store uses the simple, understated splash screen shown below:

:barf:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

anthonypants posted:

The problem with Microsoft is that they have no taste.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

quote:

Design a launch image that is identical to the first screen of the app, except for:

Text. The launch image is static, so any text you display in it won’t be localized.
UI elements that might change. If you include elements that might look different when the app finishes launching, users can experience an unpleasant flash between the launch image and the first app screen.

If you think that following these guidelines will result in a plain, boring launch image, you’re right. Remember, the launch image doesn’t provide you with an opportunity for artistic expression. It’s solely intended to enhance the user’s perception of your app as quick to launch and immediately ready for use. For example, Settings and Weather each supply a launch image that is little more than a background image.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

doesn't the launch screen only get invoked during the first start of an app after reboot or if someone force-quit it? I thought it grabbed a screenshot of the app state when you close out of and used that to conceal loading for everything after

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

gotta rce them all

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ya exactly it displays a worthless static image while the calculator "loads"

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

still less annoying than a windows-style splash screen

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

in Windows 10.1 Update 1 Anniversary Update apps must ship with a startup sound effect/jingle which plays during the splash screen when you boot up.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

This is good design. Specifically, it emphasises that design is supposed to enhance functionality, not provide an opportunity for the design intern and the marketing people to have a circlejerk.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

who fukkin cares? ntfs works just fine.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

akadajet posted:

who fukkin cares? ntfs works just fine.
microsoft cares, obviously. look at all those abortions

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

anthonypants posted:

microsoft cares, obviously. look at all those abortions

i hear after three or so its difficult to bring a good idea to production

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 11, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Agile Vector posted:

sometimes small teams are able to accomplish things no one else can

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

anthonypants posted:

sometimes small teams are able to accomplish things no one else can

Yeah Reiser was ruthless about reducing his team's headcount

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ADINSX posted:

Yeah Reiser was ruthless about reducing his team's headcount

:thurman:

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

at least MS are doing something unlike apple where we are still saddled with this garbage hfs poo poo and they are havent done anything about it since the aborted zfs thing

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

quote:

I’m sitting at my desk on a Monday afternoon, ready to smash something. I’ve spent the past four hours trying to finish a task that usually takes less than half that time. But this isn’t a typical day. It’s the first day in a week where I vowed to work exclusively in Windows 10 Mobile’s desktop Continuum mode via my Lumia 950 instead of on my proper PC. Goodbye AAA games, traditional desktop applications, and easy multi-tasking. Hello, mobile software and a struggling app ecosystem. Why did I sign up for this again?

Microsoft: Our mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.

imagine the inevitable push on getting this into the India market and making workers there even less productive

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Granite Octopus posted:

at least MS are doing something unlike apple where we are still saddled with this garbage hfs poo poo and they are havent done anything about it since the aborted zfs thing

this... is true

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

reiserfs jokes are always funny

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Granite Octopus posted:

apple is stuck because its impossible to make a good fs when you're dragged down by unix permissions. combine that with the fact that nobody is gonna use hfs for anything other than local, internal consumer disks and theres no reason for them to do anything.

when apple needs a working storage solution for portability or enterprise they look to fat, exfat, and ntfs.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

reiserfs jokes are always funny

there's only one reiserfs joke really

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

yea but its a killer

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I lost some data on reiserfs but it turned up a couple years later

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

theflyingexecutive posted:

I lost some data on reiserfs but it turned up a couple years later

:drat:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Blue Train posted:

yea but its a killer

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

you'll love reiserfs' second-degree encryption!

• Locked thread