Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

why do you think those are yoel's ashes?

They only appear after he dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wish there was a gesture for communicating general confusion because I'd use that a lot.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Internet Kraken posted:

I wish there was a gesture for communicating general confusion because I'd use that a lot.

Collapse

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lay down conveys all of my feelings perfectly

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Gologle posted:

I cannot believe you actually stuck with Wolnir's. I wanted so much to like the weapon but its Wrath of the Gods flat out sucks compared to the actual spell or Morne's.

It is a really in-expensive WoG. I'm not sure what sort of niche that fills, considering it is on a greatsword which already has good crowd clearing ability, but a cheap WoG is a cheap WoG, even if it's weak.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Viperix posted:

It's interesting how as an exclusive large, heavy weapon user, by far the single greatest threat in the whole game is 3 dogs at once. I would gladly fight anything else, including most bosses.

Get a weapon with a poise-boosting weapon art, and then use that weapon art so that the dogs can't stagger you, and then attack them. That's all that you have to do. Poise on armor might not work well but poise-boosting weapon arts sure as hell do

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Poise on armor might not work well

So what's the deal with poise now? Is it still disabled for players? And if so, have FROM said just why the hell they did that?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

MadJackMcJack posted:

So what's the deal with poise now? Is it still disabled for players? And if so, have FROM said just why the hell they did that?

Yes, no.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If I have 8 strength on this sorcerer, is it worth going to 12 for the heysel pick? It starts with C scaling in int and does magic damage so it seems like it would be good.

I also kind of wanted to go to 10 strength for a crystal longsword so this would take care of both, but 4 levels just for the pick is a lot on a build that isn't focusing much on that

MadJackMcJack posted:

Yes, and no they have not. Probably because the game isn't really finished in a number of ways.

e: I found the crucifixion woods bonfire, which I somehow completely missed on my first playthrough :psyduck:

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 11, 2016

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Digirat posted:

Yes, and no they have not. Probably because the game isn't really finished in a number of ways.

I'm curious. Other than the poise thing, some general balance stuff and covenants being finicky what else is unfinished?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Inquisitive Banana posted:

Sorry I don't buy it. I don't trust Ludeth for a second, the handmaiden is completely mad and probably hiding something.

If the shrine is before Ludeth and he linked it because of it being so dark, how does he already have a throne in the past? He has no legs too, wouldn't he be there? Why do we find Yoel's ashes, the blacksmiths hammer, and the coiled sword right where we left it. The other half being in high wall where you first teleport in.

Gundyr's unknown warrior that sheathed is on the box art chilling with a coiled sword and dragging your body in the cemetery in the opening video.

Untended Graves is definitely run down ruins and collapsed and poo poo too on top of that.

Notably Ludleth doesn't actually match his Throne beyond the name on the back, whereas the others all have fairly personalised Thrones. Like Aldritch has a cover so he doesn't dissolve and corrode it, The Watchers have a Throne with lots of swords and that multiple of them could sit in, Yhorm has a big solid thing that could fit his massive size, and Lothric has a Throne that both he and his brother could theoretically share. However Ludleth's throne actually looks a lot like something Gundyr might sit/fit in, and Gundyr was meant to be the Linker of the time but came too late. Considering the location of Untended Graves and some of the other stuff around it I'm guessing the thrones were built by the people of Lothric, which is also why their own Lord/Prince gets the central throne.

I personally think Untended Graves and Firelink Shrine are technically happening at the same time. In one timeline the Firekeeper and Yoel arrived long before Gundyr, who would be the "player" character and died so Gundyr was screwed, in another they manage to meet the Unkindled. The difference is that in the original timeline, Untended Graves, the Fire died out before someone could link it because of reasons, so Ludleth said gently caress this and literally tried to rewrite time so that someone, anyone would manage to link the fire. The Handmaiden remembers both timelines because she's special or whatever and Ludleth remembers both because he did this. The world smashing together and different times and places converging on Lothric are because of Ludleth trying to create a reality in which the First Flame can be linked again.

The big issue with this thought is that the Lords of Cinder still have actual Thrones in Untended Graves and Firelink Shrine, but I'm thinking that Untended Graves shouldn't really exist and Ludleth just couldn't completely rewrite the Timeline where everything fell to the Abyss because the Flame went out, so he has to leave Untended Graves attached where they actually should exist if the orginal timeline had occurred instead of his rewritten one with the Unkindled and the High Wall of Lothric being raised plus the various other stuff meeting up. I've also just realised that Lothric possibly raised because the Catacombs of Carthus/Izalith suddenly appeared beneath them and pushed the land upwards.

Basically both Untended Graves and Cemetary of Ash exist simultaneously and are the future/past of each-other because Ludleth is insane and has enough willpower to rewrite reality, which considering I'm pretty sure he's meant to match up with the Furtive Pygmy in the whole repeat the finding of the flame ritual is pretty impressive.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 11, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yapping Eevee posted:

I would gladly exchange two of the four bows to get "Decapitate" and "This one's me" back.

I like your style, mister

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Why isnt there a crotchchop gesture ffs.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Why isnt there a crotchchop gesture ffs.

They should also have the chicken dance for when invadees refuse to engage and frantically try to summon backup

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Toady posted:

Untended Graves is the most intriguing area in the game to me. It seems to be in the abyss, and it's in a different time (in my opinion, the future). There are several mysteries, like the ring left behind by the queen. In the regular shrine, there's also the soul of a firekeeper who traveled to the abyss.

Accurately predicting DLC is practically impossible, but it's fun to speculate. I'm starting to think that, like DS1, the DLC will be an abyss-themed time travel expansion. You meet that firekeeper who left for the abyss, and maybe she's trapped there, which prevents her from meeting Gundyr (the "ensuing tragic farce") and needs rescue. And maybe you bring the crystalline shards to the queen that get made into the ring she leaves for a future unkindled.

Or, I could turn out to be wrong, and none of these things are ever explained.

IMO it's the past. Ludleth has some comments where he insinuates that he was involved in the taking/hiding of the eyes. But yeah, Untended Graves is a funky area and I wish we had more items to piece together the tale.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Sorry if this is a common question - trying not to read the thread too much to avoid spoilers. How is the PC port these days? I'm trying to decide whether to buy the game for PC or PS4, and seem to remember people not being too impressed with the PC version.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Inquisitive Banana posted:

Sorry I don't buy it. I don't trust Ludeth for a second, the handmaiden is completely mad and probably hiding something.

If the shrine is before Ludeth and he linked it because of it being so dark, how does he already have a throne in the past? He has no legs too, wouldn't he be there? Why do we find Yoel's ashes, the blacksmiths hammer, and the coiled sword right where we left it. The other half being in high wall where you first teleport in.

Gundyr's unknown warrior that sheathed is on the box art chilling with a coiled sword and dragging your body in the cemetery in the opening video.

Untended Graves is definitely run down ruins and collapsed and poo poo too on top of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5mHuSFRzZM

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Oh god these wax priests in the archives how are they so fast on the knife. I miss the kiddie fiddlers from the undead Vatican

:cumpolice:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

my god. the abyss watchers' theme is probably the best song in the souls series so far

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tracula posted:

I'm curious. Other than the poise thing, some general balance stuff and covenants being finicky what else is unfinished?

That's the most substantial part of it, but throwing "general balance stuff" and poise in a list really understates what giant problems those are. A really substantial game system that contributes to character build/customization has been left completely disabled, and it has big effects on how useful certain weapon types are vs. enemies or players, spilling over into balance territory. Speaking of balance if you read through all the miracles on the wiki and read the comments on how worthwhile most of them are, it's a pretty sad sight. Melee weapons at least don't totally screw over certain builds in the same way, but there are big balance issues there too (straight swords being overpowered, reapers being underpowered, parrying/hornet ring in PvP, etc).

Then there's a bunch of other miscellaneous things, some of which are small but telling. Crashes, stuttering and bad performance in general for many on launch, the absolute worst hacker situation they have had yet when combined with the awful softban detection, more seams and mistakes in the environments than in any previous game, etc. It looks like there is a ton of content in the game and there is, but there is Monster Hunter levels of recycling going on here, so there's less new stuff than you might think (look through the list of sorceries and see how many of them actually have never been in a previous game for example--only 4 if I remember right). There are many signs that point to the game being pushed out too quickly by the publisher, which would not be surprising because publishers are idiots and they did that with the dark souls 2 DLC as well, resulting in series favorites such as Blue Smelter Demon and Rudolph Wasteland.

FWIW there's a lot of really great things about the game and things that it does better than any previous souls game or bloodborne, but there's also a lot of flaws that point to it being rushed out the door. It's pretty ridiculous for this to come out just 1 year after bloodborne--games with as much depth as these should probably be 2 years at the least.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Is anyone using elenora

How's the heal skill

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Digirat posted:

e: I found the crucifixion woods bonfire, which I somehow completely missed on my first playthrough :psyduck:

If it makes you feel better, I completely missed the Cliff Underside bonfire until my third playthrough. Also the pyromancer guy, because of it. :shobon:

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

How do I get the riposte animation shown at this time in the video? (0:33)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cc_FKlOvcE&t=33s

I tried with a Murakamo and didn't get it. Does it require the hornet ring?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

pigdog posted:

Sorry if this is a common question - trying not to read the thread too much to avoid spoilers. How is the PC port these days? I'm trying to decide whether to buy the game for PC or PS4, and seem to remember people not being too impressed with the PC version.

PC port is as good as it gets and runs well, the only issue as always are the few players who use cheat engine.
PS4/Xone are laggy messes with choppy framerates but no cheaters.
Choose your poison.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Well the video is titled "hornet ring riposte showcase" so I'd have to go with yes it does.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

If you wear the hornet ring, it changes riposte animations against player characters or NPCs.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Man, I am diggin' the executioner greatsword. Swings pretty fast, but dat STRIKE damage tho! Wish I knew about that before I did the catacombs.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lorians teleport move for most bullshit move of any souls game hands down

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

PS4/Xone are laggy messes with choppy framerates but no cheaters.

why would the ps4 be more laggy that the computer? or do you mean performance wise? because i've not experienced that at all. i didn't realize it was a big problem for ps4.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Can you use Carthus Moulin Rouge on Chaos infused weapons or any elemental infusion? If not, then I'm just going to ignore Pyromancy for now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

why would the ps4 be more laggy that the computer? or do you mean performance wise? because i've not experienced that at all. i didn't realize it was a big problem for ps4.

It's not, just PC master race poo poo

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Its a misnomer, lag wont be a problem but performance is pretty poo poo on consoles.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

WaltherFeng posted:

Can you use Carthus Moulin Rouge on Chaos infused weapons or any elemental infusion? If not, then I'm just going to ignore Pyromancy for now.

I'm pretty sure if you infuse a weapon with an effect or element, it can't be buffed by items or spells.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

This spot marks our grave
It you may rest here too if you like

:shepicide:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

:shepicide:

For Lorian I figured that you may want to dodge roll backwards whenever he teleports so you can at least put some distance and let him make his move first.

Try to attack Lothric as much as possible in the 2nd phase. Circle strafe a lot.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

why does this company have retard hitbox disease

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnfSbuC5dhY

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I started doing a quest guide run to see what I missed in my first playthrough and holy loving poo poo is Dark Souls 3 garbage about quest design. I know there's been obtuse stuff in all of the games but I felt like in the other titles you at least got to experience SOME stuff in a normal game without looking anything up. Dark Souls 3 hides almost every single one of its quests behind bizarre requirements and orders of operation you'd just never do.

I mean hell, I'd never have even met Patches if I didn't look up where and how to trigger and spawn him and continue his quest. Why the gently caress would I ever go back to that tower at Firelink?

I feel like if there was more dialog or whatever outside of these Silent Hill 2 alternate ending style requirements it'd be a lot better but story is pretty drat sparse.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

GulagDolls posted:

i caught a case of Retard Fail AIDS and started playing DS2 again, the hitboxes and slowness and everything make me want to loving die irl and take you all with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gently caress the hit box why is enemy spawning so retarded

Every time I return to my world while in the middle of something I get gangfucked