Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm guessing you have to blank while the knife projectiles are going toward the walls? I never would have thought of that.

It only works during the attack animation, but you have a lot of leeway timing-wise. If you blank as soon as you see him pull out a knife, it usually is enough to clear both projectiles. Sometimes you only catch one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
the daggers and the bouncing bullets are what always gets me in dragun

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Snazzy Frocks posted:

the daggers and the bouncing bullets are what always gets me in dragun

There's a spot you can stand to avoid all the bouncing bullets. It's slightly left of center horizontally and closer to the bottom vertically.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

As long as I'm hugging the bottom wall I've been able to dodge the bouncing bullets pretty well, you only have to dodge them going one way.

Personally I usually take damage from phases immediately following the skulls or the knives before being able to clear them out or spazzing out like a dummy on the two waves of bullets that cross through the middle of the screen. Not having a weapon that can clear out the skulls has ended like half of my Dragun attempts.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

You can also reflect/destroy his RPG before it detonates against the wall if you have the right items and timing. Fightsaber is obviously the easiest but things like Blasphemy, Huntsman, or the rolling bounce thing can all do it. Not that the RPG is as much of a threat as the knives.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Just lost to the Dragun because I had both movespeed and dodge enhancing items and misjudged a jump during his final phase. That run was so promising, rainbow chest on the first floor (it wasn't even locked), perfected every boss but the Wallmonger because my blank didn't go off when I hit a key. Pretty frustrated but oh well, I'll get there again.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I dodge the bouncing bullets by going into the lower left/right corner and rolling into the corner so they pass over me while I've got iframes, same with the convergent bullet waves. Pretty sure to get rid of the daggers you have to blank during the animation so they come out during the period when all new projectiles are destroyed.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Completed everything possible in this game, still never seen a rainbow or glitch chest

Or witches

Or who knows what else is out there

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Completed everything possible in this game, still never seen a rainbow or glitch chest

Or witches

Or who knows what else is out there

I actually got a glitch chest on floor 3 and I accidentally shot it. Double kill pillars or high priest sounds like fun and I don't even now how the gently caress double wall monger would work.

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011

Klaus Kinski posted:

I actually got a glitch chest on floor 3 and I accidentally shot it. Double kill pillars or high priest sounds like fun and I don't even now how the gently caress double wall monger would work.

Unfortunately it's always double Beholsters.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Klaus Kinski posted:

There's a wallmonger at the bottom of the room too working its way upward, and you have to kill the top one before they meet and cover the screen with bullets or you're boned.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

TheRevolution1 posted:

Unfortunately it's always double Beholsters.

That's disappointing :(

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Huh, I guess blanks aren't instant

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I think you died from the explosion AoE.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Zodack posted:

because my blank didn't go off when I hit a key.

this happens to me kind of a lot.

Can you not use blanks during certain actions or something? Is my controller just flaking out on me?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Zorodius posted:

this happens to me kind of a lot.

Can you not use blanks during certain actions or something? Is my controller just flaking out on me?

Normal blanks should work all the time. You can't elder blank while rolling which fucks me every time.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
This game really needs an npc that lets you "buy out" item drops so they no longer appear in the dungeon. Like a reverse-scavenger so you're less likely to get the lovely weapons/items you don't want.
Eventually it would allow you to select from the list of items you've found, maybe being able to cross off 10-15 whites 5-10 rates etc.

What I'm saying as a new player: I'm really tired of getting the "r" gun and meatbuns every other game.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 11, 2016

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Man, the Marine's past is a step up from Convict/Pilot - when the floor changes color, are the parts that look like pits actually pits? I think I took like two hits I didn't need to because I didn't want to cross over that to dodge.

Thor-Stryker posted:

This game really needs an npc that lets you "buy out" item drops so they no longer appear in the dungeon. Like a reverse-scavenger so you're less likely to get the lovely weapons/items you don't want.
Eventually it would allow you to select from the list of items you've found, maybe being able to cross off 10-15 whites 5-10 rates etc.

What I'm saying as a new player: I'm really tired of getting the "r" gun and meatbuns every other game.

Are you passing up brown chests? When I was still opening them I was in lowercase r city but since I started blowing them up all the time I don't think I've found it once.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
If you're in the first floor and haven't found an additional gun and the only chest left is brown, do you open it or try to kill the boss with the default?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just go with the default because floor 1 bosses are wimps.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I mean I'll only open brown chests with the Pilot special, but if it's not one lovely gun it's always the worst gun of the next tier with my luck.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

khwarezm posted:

If you're in the first floor and haven't found an additional gun and the only chest left is brown, do you open it or try to kill the boss with the default?

Play hunter.
1) You don't have to fight the boss with the lovely starter
2) You get a dog

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The Crossbow really is an absurdly good "gun" and if bad luck with weapons on the first floor is your complaint, Hunter will greatly improve your life.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Crossbow owns for all of floor 1 and 2. Even the floor 1 and 2 bosses fall to ca. 40-50 bolts, and they're pretty easy to aim / rapid fire.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Power of Pecota posted:

Man, the Marine's past is a step up from Convict/Pilot - when the floor changes color, are the parts that look like pits actually pits? I think I took like two hits I didn't need to because I didn't want to cross over that to dodge.

Those 'pits' work like poison pools. You can move through them but you have to dodge or otherwise get out of them quick or you'll take poison damage.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Does the mimic-tooth necklace mean all chest from then on will be red/blue/green?

Also, can you charm Jammed enemies?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Samovar posted:

Does the mimic-tooth necklace mean all chest from then on will be red/blue/green?

Nope, I've run into black chest mimics (in a run where I had the necklace iirc) and brown chest mimics including one just yesterday on the first floor.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I hit my first jammed boss last night and it was the priest and he seemed completely normal.

The jammed genie fuckers on the 4th floor suck, their inverted-color genie projections are loving invisible.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Well, 60 hours and I managed to beat the Dragun once thanks to a busted loadout. It's time to uninstall. The game feels like a chore instead of, you know, a game. It falls right in there with Dark Souls where I love the mechanics, the atmosphere, and the aesthetics, but it feels like it's difficult for the sake of being difficult. A few tweaks here and there (better key drops, more choices in guns, armor hits don't ruin your flawless bonus HP, no/reduced backup waves of enemies, etc.) and the game would be enjoyable.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If you're bad at the game could just cheat engine infinite HP or something. 60 hours to get a single Dragun kill seems kind of uh... excessive.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If you're bad at the game could just cheat engine infinite HP or something. 60 hours to get a single Dragun kill seems kind of uh... excessive.

60 hours is me too btw, I came within a hairs width of killing the rear end in a top hat the first time I encountered him but I didn't realize that he was invincible for most of the last part of his fight :argh:.

In my defense I got this and Nuclear Throne around the same time and have absolutely no previous experience with twin stick shooters.

Also I'll echo BJPaskoff that losing armor to a boss shouldn't count against a flawless, but I must admit I'm finding I'm enjoying the game the more I play and the better I get at it.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Yeah I think this kind of game would be extremely difficult for people not used to bullet-hell shmups and the zen-like state you enter when you're zipping between shots like a pro. I played a fuckton of Realm Of The Mad God, which was far more lethal than this game, so coming to a game like this was easy. My friends who I've had sit down and play it, who aren't experienced with the genre get their asses handed to them by the first floor for a solid hour before they started to grasp the basics of movement, dodging and positioning.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I'm pretty godawful at this game. It's been 50+ hours for me and I've only SEEN the Dragun once (Bizarrely enough, with the Pilot). It could be slightly easier, I agree, with more drops and certain enemies/bosses less bullet-spongy.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I haven't had a chance to play in a couple weeks (maybe a month?) and booted the game up to just do a quick stream for a friend curious to what kind of game it was. I got hit by the boss on the first floor like twice and kept taking really stupid damage but still made it to the Dragun pretty easily despite walking into a bunch of bullets and general bad play.

Personally it's a game where I come across a tough enemy that might kill me a couple times but once I've beaten it once or twice it's just easy to survive even with mediocre play.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How's the co-op in this game

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Digirat posted:

How's the co-op in this game

Haven't tried it myself but it seems like it might make the game easier due to having two friendlies shooting at all times.

Cultist also has a full heal/revive item from the get go and hulks out when player 1 is dead, and any dead players can be found in treasure chests/revive at the start of the next floor so :shrug:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I can almost flawless the first three floors no problem, but floors 4 and 5 have enemies that spawn difficult enemies which you have to prioritize at the expense of your own safety and that's where I get hosed up.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
Seeing other peoples experience with this game blows me away, I'm sitting at 83 hours total played and I've 100%'ed the game and goofed off some on the way to that number even.

Obviously one of those cases where your mileage may vary but it seems like just a matter of encountering each enemy type or boss once or twice learning their pattern then using the generous i-frames to cruise to victory.

Even the worst normal run possible doesn't compare to boss rush mode (which is gated behind a challenge most players won't see I imagine) where it seems like its predisposed to dropping keys which have zero function in that mode. So you are left using your starter to kill the first boss, then whatever 1 additional crap RNG gun it gives you as you progress.

The game isn't really unfair at all, and it keeps getting easier with every patch, so I imagine the people clawing their eyes out over the unfairness of the game should probably just instead cool it for a couple months and come back once everything is nerfed into oblivion. Or I guess maybe not play this style of game because ETG is like everything this genre should be.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

drink_bleach posted:

Seeing other peoples experience with this game blows me away, I'm sitting at 83 hours total played and I've 100%'ed the game and goofed off some on the way to that number even.

Obviously one of those cases where your mileage may vary but it seems like just a matter of encountering each enemy type or boss once or twice learning their pattern then using the generous i-frames to cruise to victory.

Even the worst normal run possible doesn't compare to boss rush mode (which is gated behind a challenge most players won't see I imagine) where it seems like its predisposed to dropping keys which have zero function in that mode. So you are left using your starter to kill the first boss, then whatever 1 additional crap RNG gun it gives you as you progress.

The game isn't really unfair at all, and it keeps getting easier with every patch, so I imagine the people clawing their eyes out over the unfairness of the game should probably just instead cool it for a couple months and come back once everything is nerfed into oblivion. Or I guess maybe not play this style of game because ETG is like everything this genre should be.

Edit- nevermind I had two windows open and hadn't caught up.
Anyway, most people play games where the goal is to not get hit too much, with a FAR more generous definition of too much. This game is about not getting hit at all and has extra mechanisms that punish getting hit even once even when you have armor and 3 heart drops in the level.

Also it's really unfun to lose because the game drops 0 ammo. That's a thing that happens sometimes and it makes the game worse to play that it can happen at all.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

That's great broski, we're not all Gradius masters with the sperg-like focus that surpasses Tibetan Buddhists. This game is legit hard for normal people who aren't studying up invincibility frames and the patience to starter-pistol three different bosses for five minutes each.

That's why people want an easier game because it could be more fun for everyone rather than the elite few who could just play in a hardmode whilst writing their 100page thesis.