Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Drone posted:

So you kegged a mimosa? It may not be quite beer, but does it taste good?

The idea of a kegged mimosa just sounds... dangerous to me. :swoon:

the wheat/pilsner ale does not have the bite of sparkling wine; actually the beer turned out great - super smooth prior to carbonation.

It tastes like a less sugary orange soda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Drone posted:

So you kegged a mimosa? It may not be quite beer, but does it taste good?

The idea of a kegged mimosa just sounds... dangerous to me. :swoon:

Seriously my wife just asked me what I was laughing at and is demanding I make a keg of white wine and OJ and carbonate it.

Also my sour is mostly carbed now. It's got a decent taste, not bad for the first batch. I'm going to have to do some more testing to get cleaner flavors out of it. I think there was some oxidation in the beer. Not a huge amount and it doesn't have a wet cardboard smell or taste but there is a certain.... Thing... To it that's a tiny bit off.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I'm cheering myself up by reminding myself that I was planning on kegging a Stiegl Radler clone at some point

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Okay so the Berliner Weiss is started.

50% Pilsner
50% Bavarian wheat

90 minute boil
0.5 oz Hallertau hops at 60 mins
0.5 oz Hallertau hops at 75 mins
Whirlfloc added last 5 mins

SG was higher than I wanted at 1.046 but I had more boil off then expected. I might add water when kegging to bring it down to a lower ABV depending where it finishes.

Cooled to 110 in 7 minutes with water addition and ice bath, pitched WLB lacto d. When the pH hits 3.8 I will pitch the WLB Berliner Weisse mix (which is a German yeast and more lacto) to finish it out.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 9, 2016

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

JawKnee posted:

the wheat/pilsner ale does not have the bite of sparkling wine; actually the beer turned out great - super smooth prior to carbonation.

It tastes like a less sugary orange soda

I've had plenty of beermosas with wheat beers. The key to them is using way less OJ than you think. Basically a shot or less in a pint.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I'm digging my pineapple juice-doped Berliner Weiss. Aside from having a really low ABV on hand, it's straight up breakfast beer. These carbed beermosas are a good idea. I'd totally do a white wine / OJ carbed in the keg if I was more into that sort of thing.

Speaking of wine, I did a little experiment a few months back where I took a jar of my trub yeast (unwashed) and dumped it straight up on a gallon of pineapple juice. It finished up and it's been sitting in my keezer for the past 6months or so. I tried it the other night and holy poo poo it's good. Like, a shelf-quality Riesling.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Seriously my wife just asked me what I was laughing at and is demanding I make a keg of white wine and OJ and carbonate it.

Also my sour is mostly carbed now. It's got a decent taste, not bad for the first batch. I'm going to have to do some more testing to get cleaner flavors out of it. I think there was some oxidation in the beer. Not a huge amount and it doesn't have a wet cardboard smell or taste but there is a certain.... Thing... To it that's a tiny bit off.

Sometimes with sours I get another round of off-flavors during bottle refermentation, but they will condition out as it mellows.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Home brewing is selling balcones 5 gallon barrels for 99 bucks this week. I just bought 2 because I'm stupid. I'm also going to shove this red farmhouse in one and spike it with Brett to see what happens. Should I dry hop before it goes in or after?

Also spiking Berliner Weisse sounds fun. I want to spike mine with hibiscus when it hits the keg. Or maybe tamarind. No idea now.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I just kegged my berliner last night. It tastes good but more like a solid base than a really good regular berliner. I should probably do something to it.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I don't know what it is about Beliners, but I think maybe you have to have some serious kit to get them RIGHT. The one I made and another home brew BW I had were the same - technically fine, but kinda boring. Putting other flavors in them seems like half the fun.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Home brewing is selling balcones 5 gallon barrels for 99 bucks this week. I just bought 2 because I'm stupid. I'm also going to shove this red farmhouse in one and spike it with Brett to see what happens. Should I dry hop before it goes in or after?

Also spiking Berliner Weisse sounds fun. I want to spike mine with hibiscus when it hits the keg. Or maybe tamarind. No idea now.

That's not stupid at all. I felt stupid when I only bought one because I really like it. I think if I were to buy another I'd try to find a 10 gallon as well so I could more easily turn it into a sour solera and just be able to swap out 5-6 gallons at a time.

You will want to find a bung with a hole for an airlock as the ones they send with are solid. I ended up using a small nail with the one they sent on my first batch. I had hopped a #5 stopper I had picked up would fit, but they're too small.

I got a couple free fermenting buckets that had been used for sours, and I used one for my flanders red and I think perhaps it still wasn't as clean as I wanted after scrubbing and soaking and sanitizing and just generally being excessive about cleaning as there may still be an infection that isn't from the one I introduced. I also expect I should have made a starter for my roselaire blend, but brewing was last minute and I didn't have the time. It's chugging along, but I think there was too much lag time and I may have a problem. It doesn't smell bad, but there were some colors that I wasn't expecting. I'll take pictures in a week or two and hopefully confirm it or not.

In the meantime, I have a bunch more of those buckets. Anyone have any suggestions for really deep cleaning them? They're 7.5g buckets, so I really don't want to get rid of them if I can avoid it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've been making 1 gallon batches of mead for a few years and I got a 5gal carboy and 30 lbs of honey for my birthday.

Is there a recommended 'cheap' way to control temp for a carboy? I'm in an apartment with limited space. There is a basement but I'd rather not put anything down there due to the other units, flooding risk, and rodents.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
yer' gotta fit yerself wit one o dem' swamp coolers.

Or if you have a tickle-o-fancy, a Cool Brewing Bag.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Jhet posted:

That's not stupid at all. I felt stupid when I only bought one because I really like it. I think if I were to buy another I'd try to find a 10 gallon as well so I could more easily turn it into a sour solera and just be able to swap out 5-6 gallons at a time.

You will want to find a bung with a hole for an airlock as the ones they send with are solid. I ended up using a small nail with the one they sent on my first batch. I had hopped a #5 stopper I had picked up would fit, but they're too small.

I got a couple free fermenting buckets that had been used for sours, and I used one for my flanders red and I think perhaps it still wasn't as clean as I wanted after scrubbing and soaking and sanitizing and just generally being excessive about cleaning as there may still be an infection that isn't from the one I introduced. I also expect I should have made a starter for my roselaire blend, but brewing was last minute and I didn't have the time. It's chugging along, but I think there was too much lag time and I may have a problem. It doesn't smell bad, but there were some colors that I wasn't expecting. I'll take pictures in a week or two and hopefully confirm it or not.

In the meantime, I have a bunch more of those buckets. Anyone have any suggestions for really deep cleaning them? They're 7.5g buckets, so I really don't want to get rid of them if I can avoid it.

Maybe fill them with a bleach solution and let them sit for a while.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

you know this disastrous Kronenbourg Blanc clone made me think; could I not just mix a base liquor, some kind of flavorful concentrate, and water together, keg it, carb it, and end up with easy alcoholic pop?

Anyone tried this?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
It has been done and it is doable. Watch your carbonation levels, though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I figured i would share the glamour shot of my sour though, for fun.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Does anyone have an particular experience with running WLP001 (California Ale Yeast) vs US-05? I have US-05 on hand, per usual, but this Two-Hearted Clone I want to brew is calling for WLP001. From what I gather, they are either the same strain, or functionally identical to a nearly indistinguishable degree.

I still don't own a stirplate, so WLP001 vials aren't viable :smugmrgw:

Completely unrelated other question: I have a new kettle with a no-weld fitting on the bottom. It's as tight as I can get it, but still drips. It's not problematic from a volume perspective, but it's messy. Can I shore that up with RTV or some other sort of sealant?

edit: VVV pretty sure I taped up the threads, but I can overtape them and see if that helps. It only really leaks when it's cold. VVV

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 10, 2016

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

robotsinmyhead posted:

Does anyone have an particular experience with running WLP001 (California Ale Yeast) vs US-05? I have US-05 on hand, per usual, but this Two-Hearted Clone I want to brew is calling for WLP001. From what I gather, they are either the same strain, or functionally identical to a nearly indistinguishable degree.

I still don't own a stirplate, so WLP001 vials aren't viable :smugmrgw:

Completely unrelated other question: I have a new kettle with a no-weld fitting on the bottom. It's as tight as I can get it, but still drips. It's not problematic from a volume perspective, but it's messy. Can I shore that up with RTV or some other sort of sealant?

For all intents and purposes they are the same strain. I've read some stuff on the internet a about slight differences at varying fermentation temps, but it's hard to prove that out as a difference in strain vs a difference in dry yeast vs propagation and using a starter, pitch rates, etc.

If you haven't already, get some Teflon tape and wrap it around the thread.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
For two hearted ale you would probably want to use wyeast 1272 to get closer to bell's house strain. Or if you want to use the actual strain you could try to get your hands on the Midwestern ale from these guys:

http://www.theyeastbay.com/brewers-...GHI0gMS1Jkdov0w

Us05 and wlp001 are the same strain and neither has the esters you'd pick up from two hearted.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Took some readings on the farmhouse red using the Vienna malt and repitching the cake from the saison sour I did with the extra pack of belle saison.

5 days in
SG 1.010
pABV 1%
%sugar 2%
pH 3.5

Tastes loving great. Tart, lots of malt and apples, very clean. Still a bit sweet. Color is a dark gold, not very red at all. It may get a name change to Amber. This one goes in the barrel with a Brett pitch as soon as the barrels arrive. I think this may get a 6-12 month sit to allow the Brett and lacto to finish up. I want the lacto and Brett to establish in this barrel for future uses.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

adebisi lives posted:

Us05 and wlp001 are the same strain

This was very interesting to learn, as I was just about to buy a starter kit so I could stop using US05 in favor of WLP001. Now I will wait. Thanks adebisi and robots.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Price isn't bad at all.

Der Penguingott posted:

Starter was a stepped starter of Omega's version of conan. I pitched it at 1.0m/ml/P, used yeast nutrient and O2. It was a ton of yeast and was very healthy so i don't think that was the problem.

Actual OG 1.091. FG is 1.026ish. It has a TON of particulate matter from the hops. Beer has been renamed to "Green Goo".

What was your fermentation temperature schedule? I've found Conan to need a bump toward the end. My typical Conan ferment (care of Vykuza, thanks Nick!!) is to start it 17-18C then slowly ramp up to 22-23C toward the end.
I've had 1.090 beers finish at 1.008 on that yeast in a matter of 8 days. It just needs that little kick up the arse at the end to move those last few points :)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Drunk Nerds posted:

This was very interesting to learn, as I was just about to buy a starter kit so I could stop using US05 in favor of WLP001. Now I will wait. Thanks adebisi and robots.
The YeastBot Database is your friend, especially if your LHBS only carries one brand of liquid yeast.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

McSpergin posted:

Price isn't bad at all.

What was your fermentation temperature schedule? I've found Conan to need a bump toward the end. My typical Conan ferment (care of Vykuza, thanks Nick!!) is to start it 17-18C then slowly ramp up to 22-23C toward the end.
I've had 1.090 beers finish at 1.008 on that yeast in a matter of 8 days. It just needs that little kick up the arse at the end to move those last few points :)

That's exactly how I just did mine. Worked nicely.

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d
I started it at 64 and brought it up to 70 after a few days. I had been advised to do that.

I am going to try again with a fresh pitch of it in a pale ale, then repitch it a few times and see if it's any better.

I may have messed up the mash temp or something and not realized it. Either way, the beer tastes good and I got the peach esters everyone talks about, so it's not a total flop.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Has anyone used/tried a beer brewed with Yeast Bay's Sigmund's Voss Kveik? I've been browsing around looking at new (to me) yeast strains, and this one caught my eye because it claims "Sigmund's Voss Kveik also exhibits the ability to ferment wort over a large temperature range, 70 - 100º F, without major changes to the flavor profile or production of any harsh phenolics or fusel alchohols ... We highly recommend taking this into the high end of temperature range, 90-100 ºF."

Fermenting at 90-100º F? That sounds like absolute madness. I wouldn't even take Wyeast 3711 into that range to finish a beer, let alone ferment entirely within that bracket. On the other hand, if at all true, it sounds like a godsend for people in warmer climates with no temperature control. I might have to brew something with this over the summer just to see what the gently caress happens.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What's the fermentation temperature range that one can safely use for a Hefeweizen? We still have springtime weather here so it's easy for me to ferment stuff at between 20 and 22 degrees C like I normally do (with swamp cooler), but if we have another heatwave summer like last year, I'm going to be really struggling in about 6 to 8 weeks. No air conditioning in my apartment either. :gonk:

Oh, and a recommendation for a good Hefeweizen yeast to use that likes those higher temperatures.

Edit: oh and also, I guess I'm planning on doing a Hefeweizen in the next few weeks as a summertime beer. I'm still at a stage where partial-extract brewing is my preferred method due to the equipment that I lack... is a good Hefeweizen recipe for extract really as simple as "use a couple pounds of this wheat extract, no other grains, throw in some Hallertau bittering hops @ 60, stick some yeast in it, boom"? No other types of extract, no specialty grains, no other hops?

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 11, 2016

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I like WLP380 Hefeweizen IV at around 70f but I kind of hate clove phenolics and love banana Runts beer so my taste in hefes is bad and wrong.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

indigi posted:

Has anyone used/tried a beer brewed with Yeast Bay's Sigmund's Voss Kveik? I've been browsing around looking at new (to me) yeast strains, and this one caught my eye because it claims "Sigmund's Voss Kveik also exhibits the ability to ferment wort over a large temperature range, 70 - 100º F, without major changes to the flavor profile or production of any harsh phenolics or fusel alchohols ... We highly recommend taking this into the high end of temperature range, 90-100 ºF."

Fermenting at 90-100º F? That sounds like absolute madness. I wouldn't even take Wyeast 3711 into that range to finish a beer, let alone ferment entirely within that bracket. On the other hand, if at all true, it sounds like a godsend for people in warmer climates with no temperature control. I might have to brew something with this over the summer just to see what the gently caress happens.

All kveik is generally used at those temperatures, but the beers they produce are usually raw ales meant to be consumed quickly with no carbonation. I'm very uncertain as to what kind of result it would produce in more conventional styles.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

First barrel full

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Errant Gin Monks posted:

First barrel full

Such a great feeling.

I just bottled some of our first run of rye-barrel imperial milk stout, which was aged in an 8 gallon Wodinville barrel. We left it in the barrel for a long time, about three months. Most people recommend just a week or two in a freshly-dumped barrel, and that probably would have been sufficient, but life got in the way. It's been chilling in kegs since February, and the whiskey flavors have calmed down to the point where it's strong, but entirely drinkable. We stuck a barleywine in the barrel after draining the stout, I'm very excited to see how that comes out. Once we drain it again, I think we're going to go the funky route and infect it with Brettanomyces.

We also have a 50 gallon barrel that got filled in January with a golden base we hit with TYB's Amalgamation. It was bright, tropical, tart, and just a little bit funky, and I'm super excited to pull some off and hit it with fruit, but if it's anywhere near as good as when it went into the barrel, it's going to be a treat to drink all on its own. The current plan is to brew another 10 gallons of base and add that immediately after pulling 10 out.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

nullfunction posted:

Such a great feeling.

I just bottled some of our first run of rye-barrel imperial milk stout, which was aged in an 8 gallon Wodinville barrel. We left it in the barrel for a long time, about three months. Most people recommend just a week or two in a freshly-dumped barrel, and that probably would have been sufficient, but life got in the way. It's been chilling in kegs since February, and the whiskey flavors have calmed down to the point where it's strong, but entirely drinkable. We stuck a barleywine in the barrel after draining the stout, I'm very excited to see how that comes out. Once we drain it again, I think we're going to go the funky route and infect it with Brettanomyces.

We also have a 50 gallon barrel that got filled in January with a golden base we hit with TYB's Amalgamation. It was bright, tropical, tart, and just a little bit funky, and I'm super excited to pull some off and hit it with fruit, but if it's anywhere near as good as when it went into the barrel, it's going to be a treat to drink all on its own. The current plan is to brew another 10 gallons of base and add that immediately after pulling 10 out.

That's loving awesome. I'm working on my next recipe and wanted to do a rye beer. What do you think of the following-

2 lbs Crystal 80L
2 lbs American rye
4 lbs red wheat
4 lbs Pilsner
Lightly hopped with Crystal maybe 1 oz for 15 minutes
Sweet orange for 5 minutes
Lacto and belle saison pitched at 80 degrees
rack to bourbon barrel after primary (no Brett in this one)
Dry hop with citra and Nelson after aging for 5-6 days then into keg for cold crash.

I'm going for a spicy lightly caramel-ish rye with a light acid bite and lots of herbal citrus notes, some oak and bourbon for backbone and a deep red color

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

nullfunction posted:

Such a great feeling.

Amalgamation is a great blend. I have a rye saison that I used a vial of that in secondary and I'm super happy with it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That's loving awesome. I'm working on my next recipe and wanted to do a rye beer. What do you think of the following-

2 lbs Crystal 80L
2 lbs American rye
4 lbs red wheat
4 lbs Pilsner
Dry hop with citra and Nelson after aging for 5-6 days then into keg for cold crash.

I'm going for a spicy lightly caramel-ish rye with a light acid bite and lots of herbal citrus notes, some oak and bourbon for backbone and a deep red color

That's quite a lot of crystal. I'd advise adding rice hulls because that's going to be sticky otherwise. Rye stands up well to bitterness too. I've not done citrus flavor/aroma hops with it, but I can see it being a spicy sort of fruity. Rye can be a great pairing with the acidity of lacto too, should be tasty.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Errant Gin Monks posted:

2 lbs Crystal 80L
2 lbs American rye
4 lbs red wheat
4 lbs Pilsner

Crystal and Saison yeast don't mix in my opinion. At the most you want to use like 5% Special B or something equally characterful.

I'd do:

6 lb Pilsner (50%)
3 lb Red Wheat (25%)
0.6 lb Special B (5%)
2.4 lb Rye Malt (20%)

If you want the lacto to actually do it's job then don't put any IBUs in it. Just dry-hop the poo poo out of it. If you only want a light tartness I'd add a bunch of crazy hop resistant dregs from Jester King or Jolly Pumpkin and bitter to about 20 IBUs, but if you do that with regular old lacto you just won't see any acid production at all.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 12, 2016

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Seconding that crystal and saison yeast are conflicting ingredients. Crystal adds sweetness and saison yeasts are notoriously dry.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Biomute posted:

Crystal and Saison yeast don't mix in my opinion. At the most you want to use like 5% Special B or something equally characterful.

I'd do:

6 lb Pilsner (50%)
3 lb Red Wheat (25%)
0.6 lb Special B (5%)
2.4 lb Rye Malt (20%)

If you want the lacto to actually do it's job then don't put any IBUs in it. Just dry-hop the poo poo out of it. If you only want a light tartness I'd add a bunch of crazy hop resistant dregs from Jester King or Jolly Pumpkin and bitter to about 20 IBUs, but if you do that with regular old lacto you just won't see any acid production at all.

I would rather change the yeast then. I want the color and sweetness of the crystal, what's a good yeast to go with it?
Also according to the calculator I used 1oz of crystal hops for 15 will only give me 4ish IBUs, which is well within range of lactose tolerance. I also plan to dry hop the poo poo out of it regardless.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I would rather change the yeast then. I want the color and sweetness of the crystal, what's a good yeast to go with it?
Also according to the calculator I used 1oz of crystal hops for 15 will only give me 4ish IBUs, which is well within range of lactose tolerance. I also plan to dry hop the poo poo out of it regardless.

I would back down the crystal and use a darker one as Biomute suggested. You can make up for the lost crystal sweetness by either mashing higher or using a lower attenuating yeast, like an English strain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Is it just me, or does morebeer's ABV estimates for kits seem... really off.

For instance, the kit I'm on uses 8 lbs :LME and 0.75 DME for a 5-gallon batch. Their "estimate" is 5% ABV. However, my estimates, and final results, is between 6.2-6.5 %