Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/MattJHirsch/status/730109057097293825

Oh boy look who's running for president in 2020.

Not if Texas secede's first :tfrxmas:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Sorry Abbott, FDR was elected in a time before television. That poo poo ain't gonna fly in 2020.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The McKinney stadium is very much a part of that part of Texas, and that part of DFW in particular. It's all about keeping up with the Joneses. I grew up in Allen and knew friends whose parents were deep in debt despite (or rather, because of) nice houses, cars, etc.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

Dan Patrick remains an rear end.

Lege here we come! I hope that everyone loves hearing the state lawmakers talk about how if they could they would sneak into women's bathrooms.

Ugh, the poo poo I'm hearing from people about this is loving ugly. Can't wait to go home and hear about how this is going to ruin O.D. Wyatt and Dunbar. :/

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Fort Worth ISD isn't suburban, so am I correct in assuming that not many people in the district will actually want him fired?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.texastribune.org/2016/05/10/analysis-texas-legislators-not-local-voters-have-f/

The Tribune weighs in.

quote:

On Saturday, Austin voters said they wanted drivers for ride-hailing companies like Uber and Lyft to follow existing local laws on background and fingerprint checks and on stopping in traffic to drop off and pick up fares.

Less than 24 hours later, state Sen. Charles Schwertner, a Republican from nearby Georgetown, announced he would file legislation countermanding voter sentiment in Austin or any other Texas city that “impedes free markets and competition” in the cab business.

“What we have is this patchwork of municipal regulation that is out-dated and protectionist,” he said.

Count at least one of his colleagues, Sen. Don Huffines, R-Dallas, as a supporter. “Local control is not a blank check to trample liberty. Austin's #Prop1 is latest of too many examples in too many cities. #txlege will act,” Huffines tweeted.

Here's a short guide to that state-local tug-of-war: If a company or industry loses a fight over a local ordinance, the Texas Legislature serves as the court of appeals. Want to put hydraulic fracturing wells inside the city limits in Denton? The voters said no, but the Legislature said yes. Want grocery stores to offer plastic bags, which is outlawed in several Texas cities, including Brownsville and Austin? That one is on appeal. Want to run a taxi service that doesn't follow the same rules the existing cab companies follow? Schwertner and others stand ready.

It's a good point that the state would have to deregulate all cab services to allow uber to get what they want and I'm not sure they'd go that far, but given the people that've been elected lately I don't really know what to expect from them.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

quote:

Count at least one of his colleagues, Sen. Don Huffines, R-Dallas, as a supporter. “Local control is not a blank check to trample liberty. Austin's #Prop1 is latest of too many examples in too many cities. #txlege will act,” Huffines tweeted.

I take it selling new cars to Uber drivers is a lucrative business.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
A man in a wheelchair calling himself broken as part of his campaign advertising.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

VH4Ever posted:

I will say that I do seem to have better Tex-Mex when I go down to San Antonio to visit friends so that makes sense. So it's an Austin problem specifically, eh?

It's a ratio of distance from the border and concentration of Hispanic community as well. Basically the further south and or closer to the border you get, the better the quality of Tex-Mex. This is coming from someone who lived in Austin almost 10 years has family in San Antonio and is from McAllen.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It's interesting to listen to the "patchwork" argument against city control over regulations. The governor of north Carolina made the same argument in Diane Rhem this week about the bathroom bill. But he was actually calling for congress to act to determine what kind of discrimination is legal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/dgolumbia/status/730399385062871040

This goes all the way to the top people.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Nice to see that the traditional conservative mantra "Government closest to the people governs best" getting turned on its head when lobbying gets involved.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

saintonan posted:

Nice to see that the traditional conservative mantra "Government closest to the people governs best" getting turned on its head when lobbying gets involved.

Since Dan Patrick spent yesterday in Ft. Worth holding a rally against the superintendent of schools for issuing guidelines for already existing anti-discrimination statutes, you might notice they are full of poo poo.

You'd think since social conservative platform just got rebuked nationally they'd be less bold, but looks like Dan etal. are trying to seize the mantle instead of distancing.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

zoux posted:

You'd think since social conservative platform just got rebuked nationally they'd be less bold, but looks like Dan etal. are trying to seize the mantle instead of distancing.

Well, they had to find a new dogwhistle wedge issue to fire up the anti-gay crowd since marriage is now off the table.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

saintonan posted:

It's "State's Rights" not "City's Rights" for a reason!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

Since Dan Patrick spent yesterday in Ft. Worth holding a rally against the superintendent of schools for issuing guidelines for already existing anti-discrimination statutes, you might notice they are full of poo poo.

What they are taking away from Trump vs Cruz is that if you were to somehow combine the tells it like it is nativism of Trump with the social conservatism of Cruz you'd be absolutely unstoppable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

What they are taking away from Trump vs Cruz is that if you were to somehow combine the tells it like it is nativism of Trump with the social conservatism of Cruz you'd be absolutely unstoppable.

I really hope they're not right.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

EwokEntourage posted:

A man in a wheelchair calling himself broken as part of his campaign advertising.

Of all the things to get mad at Greg Abbott about, this is pretty low on the list. A tree fell on him and broke his spine. He is in a wheelchair because he was literally, physically broken.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

Of all the things to get mad at Greg Abbott about, this is pretty low on the list. A tree fell on him and broke his spine. He is in a wheelchair because he was literally, physically broken.

If it had killed him the state would be much better off

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

blue squares posted:

If it had killed him the state would be much better off

Oh I assume we'd have some equally bad piece of poo poo in his place.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Thermos H Christ posted:

This is the same guy who was for tort reform, even though he himself benefited directly from a "frivolous" law suit involving severe personal injury.

*Insert gif of that lady on Seinfeld whose wheelchair brakes didn't work as she barrelled down a hill with Greg Abbot's face on it.*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/clairezcardona/status/730450174431117313

Whoa.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Parachute posted:

This is the same guy who was for tort reform, even though he himself benefited directly from a "frivolous" law suit involving severe personal injury.

*Insert gif of that lady on Seinfeld whose wheelchair brakes didn't work as she barrelled down a hill with Greg Abbot's face on it.*

Yeah but HE already benefited. "gently caress you other cripples, got mine." -Abbot

Rick Perry is the prime suspect.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

zoux posted:

So seems he is following the Sara Palin process.

How long before we see him get a VP nod or become a Fox commentator?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

gotta include the video, it's terrific

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ2JZK0eZ5I

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I heard Bill Flores (R-my district) saying this morning on the radio that there would be some news release about this today that "wasn't good", but he didn't clarify what it was. And I totally forgot about it until now. Interesting.

Now, does it being classified as arson change anything re: lawsuits and settlements and such? Not saying I suspect they're protecting the company here or anything along those lines if it does, but curious all the same.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

Rick Perry is the prime suspect.
...I just remembered that some college kid burned down the goddamn governor's mansion and got away with it

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Parachute posted:

Yeah, he's a real lovely dude. It just doesn't really bother me if he wants to describe himself as "broken." Practically everything else he says and does bothers me more than that.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

zoux posted:

Wtf: Tyler to Wichita Falls to Frisco in one day?

Sounds like he's flying, not taking his bus.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Broken But Unbowed: The Story of My Genitalia and Desire for Tort Reform by Gov. Greg Abbott

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Aliquid posted:

...I just remembered that some college kid burned down the goddamn governor's mansion and got away with it

Didn't that happen twice?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Boy this NC transgendered thing sure is going well, I want some of that," thinks fucktard.
https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/730462217510903809

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

"Boy this NC transgendered thing sure is going well, I want some of that," thinks fucktard.
https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/730462217510903809

:psyduck: Why is he filing a brief? I thought that was the same one McCrory filed amicus brief on as well and the Judge basically said "LOL you guys are idiots"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Maybe he doesn't feel he's in the news enough.

I know I love seeing his smile once a day in the B-section.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Jesus gently caress, why is it that the majority of the people bitching about how Uber left Austin in my newsfeed come across as either dudebro assholes or batshit libertarians?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

citybeatnik posted:

Jesus gently caress, why is it that the majority of the people bitching about how Uber left Austin in my newsfeed come across as either dudebro assholes or batshit libertarians?

:thejoke:

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Badger of Basra posted:

Didn't that happen twice?

Just once. The rumor (among the "old Austin" crowd) is that it was Perry's jilted gay lover, which is why it never got pursued enough to ever catch the guy. The "Rick Perry is gay" rumors in Austin during the '00s were basically the "Troy Aikman is gay" rumors in Dallas during the 90s. Probably bullshit, but there are a lot of people who know a lot of backroom stuff who will swear by it.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

CommieGIR posted:

:psyduck: Why is he filing a brief? I thought that was the same one McCrory filed amicus brief on as well and the Judge basically said "LOL you guys are idiots"

Trying to get his name out there as a defender of the bathrooms. Not content to control what men do with their penis in the bedroom, now wants to control where they defecate as well.

(Not leaving lesbians out, but it seems that most of these anti-LGBTQ crowd care about the penis and not vaginas)

There is also the chance that he thinks this will be his way out of the state and onto national politics, since I am going to bet Cruze won't get reelected.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

an iksar monk posted:

There is also the chance that he thinks this will be his way out of the state and onto national politics, since I am going to bet Cruze won't get reelected.

Well, Paxton is gonna have a very hard time running for Senate from prison.

But yea, going national is a good bet for why Abbott is on this train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Thermos H Christ posted:

I'm not mad at him for that. I just thought it was funny.

Already have plenty of reasons to hate Abbott