Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

a foolish pianist posted:

I live in an old six-unit apartment building, and two of the units are leased by a woman who runs them strictly as AirBNB rentals. It's incredibly annoying - people coming in loudly at weird hours, knocking suitcases up and down, loving up the parking situation, etc.. I imagine it brings in plenty of women for the woman who runs the operation, but it's awful for the rest of us.

Yeah. That is literally what hotel regulation and zoning is supposed to prevent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

quote:

Rival Lyft, which, like Uber, is based in California, said in its own statement that "the rules passed by the city council don't allow true ridesharing to operate." As a result, it says it hopes a "pause" in operations will show it is taking a stand in defense of app-based ridesharing.
You would think I'd be immune to corporate bullshit speak and hilarious euphemisms at this point, but the insistence on calling it ridesharing when everyone knows its a taxi service just gets under my skin. If Lyft/Uber are ridesharing, then restaurants are foodsharing and going to the doctors is health care sharing. Its loving absurd, we all know its absurd, and they just can't let it go. Every time they use it in a press release my eye twitches. They might as well just say "The American people are loving idiots and we can say whatever we want".

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

asdf32 posted:

So are you sure you think airbnb is liable for this sort of stuff? Is craigslist liable if it facilitated the identical transaction?

I'm certainly not sure I think either airbnb or uber is liable for everything that happens after they help facilitate a transaction. It's not entirely different than, say, an internet forum or hosting service which may knowingly profit from illegal or distasteful activity but yet rightfully has some protection from the actions of its users.

AirBnB does a lot more than Craigslist does unless Craigslist has added payment processing, identity verification and a ton more things since I last used them. AirBnB doesn't qualify for section 230 immunity at all.

cheese posted:

You would think I'd be immune to corporate bullshit speak and hilarious euphemisms at this point, but the insistence on calling it ridesharing when everyone knows its a taxi service just gets under my skin. If Lyft/Uber are ridesharing, then restaurants are foodsharing and going to the doctors is health care sharing. Its loving absurd, we all know its absurd, and they just can't let it go. Every time they use it in a press release my eye twitches. They might as well just say "The American people are loving idiots and we can say whatever we want".

I'm glad I'm not the only one this pedantically upset about it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

asdf32 posted:

So are you sure you think airbnb is liable for this sort of stuff? Is craigslist liable if it facilitated the identical transaction?

Craigslist has never been forced to take action in response to how it has facilitated certain transactions, no sir.

So as you can see, there is absolutely no grounds for expecting Uber or Airbnb to ever fall under related regulations.

Yes it's not a perfect analogy, but facilitation of x-like services could, at least in theory, fall under the category of providing x, depending on how the relevant regulations were worded and enforced.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Panfilo posted:

Regarding Air BnB, I'm curious if it's really more profitable to buy a house and rent it out this way vs just leasing it to people on year to year leases like people already do. Or is this just some retarded loophole where they buy a motel but aren't subject to the same bylaws and regulations? Whose getting screwed over in that scenario?

It appears it would make more money to rent it out through AirBnB. I first heard of it over a year ago inmy old workplace by one of the ladies in upper management. She was having a discussion about her friend who discovered a way to make much more off her rental home. Her friend was renting it out on AirBnB and making an average of 4 times what she used to make in a month, without having to deal with the hassle of the 'private residential tenants board' regulations, or the higher tax liability she'd have on the income as a registered landlord.

The website InsideAirBnb gives an overview of average earning per property along with percentage of properties that are entire homes or apartments vs a spare room. Look at the cities and it seems to be at least and many times much more than 50% of AirBnb properties which are full homes that would have suited long term residents.

The entire thing is fairly despicable when we've been in a house crisis since I overheard that story, and it's only gotten worse with many families made homeless. And thousands of houses that would suit long-term residents are kept off the market to make profits off holiday renters of at least double what they would renting long term. That's before taken into account the potential gains from the tax differences.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
HYYYYPPPEEERRRLLLOOOOPP!!!!

http://techcrunch.com/2016/05/10/hyperloop-technologies-becomes-hyperloop-one-pulls-in-80-million-and-announces-global-partners/

quote:

Los Angeles-based Hyperloop Technologies is now Hyperloop One and $80 million richer from a close of its Series B round of financing today.

The news comes just days after rival hyperloop builder Hyperloop Transportation Technologies (HTT) announced a licensing deal to power its own prototype with magnetic levitation technology.

Both Hyperloop One (formerly Hyperloop Technologies) and HTT are based in L.A. and both are working on models of Elon Musk’s Hyperloop – a vacuum tube-based transportation technology promising to shoot riders from San Francisco to the City of Angels in 30 minutes or less.

The moniker was too much like its rival hyperloop builder and the change comes just in time for a propulsion open-air test (POAT) Hyperloop One will be conducting in North Las Vegas tomorrow.

The new cash is from existing investors Sherpa Ventures, EightVC, ZhenFund and Caspian Venture Partners and a few new investors, including 137 Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Fast Digital, Western Technology Investment (WTI), SNCF, the French National Rail Company (interestingly) and GE Ventures, which has invested heavily in building high speed rail in various parts of the world such as Europe and China. The total now raised is at $100 million.
Yeah it's probably not actually going to go anywhere, but the idea is neat, and at least it's not "Uber for _____" right?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/10/business/dealbook/as-lending-club-stumbles-its-entire-industry-faces-skepticism.html

quote:

As Lending Club Stumbles, Its Entire Industry Faces Skepticism

Renaud Laplanche and his crew steered a 105-foot racing boat through New York Harbor one day last spring, its towering sails ripping across the water at 30 knots.

An accomplished sailor and founder of Lending Club, Mr. Laplanche was hosting executives from hedge funds, Goldman Sachs and other banks — part of his effort to win over Wall Street on his plans to upend traditional banking with a faster, more democratic form of lending.

He already had endorsements from Lawrence H. Summers, the former Treasury secretary, and John Mack, the former chief of Morgan Stanley, who joined his board. At Lending Club’s initial public offering in December 2014, the company was valued at over $8 billion.

But on Monday, Lending Club announced that Mr. Laplanche had resigned after an internal investigation found improprieties in its lending process, including the altering of millions of dollars’ worth of loans. The company’s stock price, already reeling in recent months, fell 34 percent.

The company’s woes are part of a broader reckoning in the online money-lending industry. Last week, Prosper, another online lender that focuses on consumers, laid off more than a quarter of its work force, and the chief executive said he was forgoing his salary for the year.

The problems at Lending Club, in particular, threaten to confirm some of Wall Street’s worst fears: that as favorable economic conditions begin to turn, they will reveal many upstart companies with weak internal controls that have been feeding inaccurate information to starry-eyed investors.

“It is clear this is bad news not just for Lending Club, but for our entire industry,” Peter Renton, who founded Lendit, a leading industry conference, wrote in a blog post on Monday. “Really bad.”

Marketplace lenders like Lending Club have created easy-to-use websites that match consumers and small businesses, hoping to borrow a few thousand dollars, with individuals or Wall Street investors looking to lend money.

Freed from the costs of brick-and-mortar branches and federal regulations requiring that they reserve money against their loans, marketplace lenders have been able to grow quickly and with fewer expenses.

The process is almost entirely online, with loans approved in days rather than the weeks a traditional bank might take.

While marketplace loans account for less than 1 percent of the consumer loans in the United States, a recent report by the investment bank Jefferies said that in some segments — like installment loans — the new lending companies account for more than 10 percent of the market.

Just months ago, it seemed marketplace lenders couldn’t churn out loans fast enough. Investors like hedge funds, insurance companies and pension funds were clamoring to buy large pools of these loans, which offered an attractive return at a time of record low interest rates.

But in the first quarter, lenders like Lending Club, Prosper and OnDeck Capital had difficulty convincing investors that their business models are sound.

Even though the majority of the companies’ borrowers continue to pay their loans on time, Wall Street investors have started to worry about the prospect of increasing defaults.

Last week, the small business lender OnDeck said demand for securitized packages of its loans had all but vanished in the first quarter.

RIP ~fInTeCh~

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I knew it would be a failure as soon as I got to the part where the company was endorsed by Larry Summers

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Cicero posted:

HYYYYPPPEEERRRLLLOOOOPP!!!!

http://techcrunch.com/2016/05/10/hyperloop-technologies-becomes-hyperloop-one-pulls-in-80-million-and-announces-global-partners/

Yeah it's probably not actually going to go anywhere, but the idea is neat, and at least it's not "Uber for _____" right?

Why is Musk always credited with this? There is a paper detailing it from 1972. Did he add something?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hyperloop reminds me of Theranos or the ultrasonic charging startup that got piled with money while actual experts pointed out it would never work as described.

That ultrasound startup is hilarious by the way. It is basically a photo-Theranos and ticks pretty much every box in Silicon Valley startup bingo. Some choice bits:

quote:

Perry seems to brag that she knew nearly nothing of physics before starting the company—not even how a TV remote control worked. She says the basic idea for uBeam came after only a few hours of googling, and portrays herself as the first person to have thought of using ultrasound for wireless power. “It seemed like an awesome idea,” said Perry in the TED Talk. “Why hadn’t the ultrasound experts thought of it before?”

Actually, they had. Many times.

quote:

Spectrum e-mailed uBeam several lists of questions about the issues raised in this article, but the company declined to answer any of them. A uBeam spokesperson said the questions had a “negative slant” and added, “If you want to write about real science, for a scientific audience, you would reach out to us and work with us in a collaborative rather than offensive way.”

Over the weekend, uBeam provided an interview to TechCrunch,

IEEE Spectrum just isn't real science for a scientific audience like TechCrunch is I guess.

From a different article:

quote:

So why hasn't it been done before? Perry believes her status as a non-expert helped her think about the problem differently than most. After lots of research, she says she broke the solution down into steps, using seed funding to hire contractors to build the various elements of the technology. Perry says uBeam has used 30 of the world's leading ultrasonic engineers, physicists, and electrical engineers.

"How many brilliant, game-changing ideas out there thought up by laypeople, teenagers, store clerks have been squashed by experts that said, 'That can't work'?" she says. "If I weren't as stubborn as I am, I probably would've chucked this entire idea five years ago, because people with a lot more knowledge told me that what I was doing was impossible. But by thinking differently, thinking outside the box, thinking around corners, you have the potential to outthink the top thinkers."

Ah yes. Steps and teams, why didn't other people think of that?

And of course in response to criticism the founder breaks out what must be the most misused quote in all of Silicon Valley:

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

— Meredith Perry (@meredithperry) October 21, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Boot and Rally posted:

Why is Musk always credited with this? There is a paper detailing it from 1972. Did he add something?

quote:

Description of a very high speed transit (VHST) system operating in its own rarefied atmosphere in evacuated tubes in underground tunnels. Most cases considered took less time to go coast-to-coast (e.g., 21 min) than it takes an aircraft to climb to an efficient operating altitude. VHST's tubecraft ride on, and are driven by, electromagnetic (EM) waves. In accelerating, it employs the energy of the surrounding EM field; in decelerating, it returns most of this energy to the system. Tunnel systems would be shared by oil, water, and gas pipelines; channels for laser and microwave waveguides; electric power lines including superconducting ones; and freight systems. Environmental and economic benefits are substantial, and the technology for building and operating the system exists.

:shittypop: Clearly Elon Musk the physical embodiment of this abstract.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Do underground vacuum tubes do amazingly well during earthquakes

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Aliquid posted:

Do underground vacuum tubes do amazingly well during earthquakes

They get disrupted.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They get disrupted.

Alright then, we have to do it now.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I kind of have a hard time thinking of Musk"s various projects as unicorns as at least his projects have a plan to really do something even if that something is stupid or illconseved like hyperloop.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

a foolish pianist posted:

I live in an old six-unit apartment building, and two of the units are leased by a woman who runs them strictly as AirBNB rentals. It's incredibly annoying - people coming in loudly at weird hours, knocking suitcases up and down, loving up the parking situation, etc.. I imagine it brings in plenty of money for the woman who runs the operation, but it's awful for the rest of us.

Report her/come to an understanding where you get some of the money. Disruption!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The power expended keeping 2000+ miles of tube large enough to comfortably stuff a person, let alone a useful amount of cargo into evacuated would probably be staggering after a few years of frost heave :psyduck:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

#ripfintech is definitely the headline, but looking deeper, it's pretty clear that the insider trading is what got Laplanche ousted. I mean goddamn.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Boot and Rally posted:

Actual venture capital? Basically being one of the first rich people to look at the idea of launching people 700 MPH through a giant railgun and ignore the high building cost, high maintenance and high liability.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's going to be one hell of an explosion the first time this thing crashes into a misaligned section.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Marenghi posted:

The entire thing is fairly despicable when we've been in a house crisis since I overheard that story, and it's only gotten worse with many families made homeless. And thousands of houses that would suit long-term residents are kept off the market to make profits off holiday renters of at least double what they would renting long term. That's before taken into account the potential gains from the tax differences.
Err, are you saying airbnb is increasing the number of people moving here? Like dramatic hordes of new techbros that weren't willing to come work until they could pay inflated rates on airbnb listings?

From my perspective AirBNB has been a tremendous enabler for group housing, which has helped put more people into the fewer homes we're actually willing to build here.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

Err, are you saying airbnb is increasing the number of people moving here? Like dramatic hordes of new techbros that weren't willing to come work until they could pay inflated rates on airbnb listings?

From my perspective AirBNB has been a tremendous enabler for group housing, which has helped put more people into the fewer homes we're actually willing to build here.

No, he's saying that (as is well known) Bay Area housing construction has not for at least a decade been keeping up with the number of people moving into the area to work. Air B&Bers buying out what construction -does- happen to run it as unlicensed hotels is the epitome of Not Helping.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ShadowHawk posted:

AirBNB artificially increases demand for housing in an area where supply is already being crushed under the weight of far more demand. As tech bros flock to the area to grab high-paying tech jobs it's just getting continually worse.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ToxicSlurpee posted:

AirBNB artificially increases demand for housing in an area where supply is already being crushed under the weight of far more demand. As tech bros flock to the area to grab high-paying tech jobs it's just getting continually worse.
Ok, so people buy houses or condos to be airbnb landlords since this is now more profitable. But then they rent out that housing to tenants. How is there "more demand" or "less supply" than we started with?

Meanwhile in my neighborhood there are plenty of "ghost houses" that are owned by real estate speculators and not being rented out to tenants. An AirBNB baron buying one of those would increase the available supply of housing, even if they moved into the area to do it!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

wateroverfire posted:

I think there's some interest in making sure vehicles are regulated for safety and that drivers aren't scam artists, but how much of the regulation is doing that as opposed to setting up a barrier of entry to protect established cab companies? The LA requirements, for instance require the endorsement of a taxi franchise to get permitted and that freezes out independant operators. And official licensing doesn't seem to guarantee good experiences. I have been overcharged for trips in cabs from drivers who tried to take the long way around to pad the fare (happens all the time to me), from some who tried to negotiate an up-front fee more expensive than the trip would be if metered (happens a lot), from a couple who outright tampered with their meters, etc. I've been in licensed cabs that were falling apart but somehow passed inspection (I hope). Most of my cab experiences have been fine...but so have all of my Uber experiences. I think by and large that private commuters are savvy enough to handle driving people around, and Uber's fare system keeps them more honest than many cab drivers.

I can say similar things about AirBNB. Ostensibly AirBNB hosts are flauting hotel regulations, and that's bad. But I have stayed in more hotels and motels than I ever wanted to that were dirty, insecure, sprug surprise charges, etc, while most of my AirBNB experiences have been positive while also being cheaper and providing a better service (whole apartment or house for me and my guests instead of a room or suite) that in many ways is more secure (because a bunch of strangers aren't passing through and no one is coming into the space while I'm not there). So from a user's perspective, who cares if they are violating the law? The law is doing nothing good for me.

I'm going to mail you an envelope full of bedbug eggs

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
an airbnb isn't housing any more than a goddamn Hilton is, and the Hilton is usually less illegal

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Uber just de-commisioned Uberpop in Stockholm after months of drivers getting successfully charged in court as unregistered cab drivers for driving under Uberpop. The official investigation into Uber's own activities by the swedish tax administration is still not due until December but I'm looking forward to it. :lol:

http://www.dn.se/ekonomi/uber-tvarv...ridda-tjansten/

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

atomicthumbs posted:

an airbnb isn't housing any more than a goddamn Hilton is, and the Hilton is usually less illegal

Exactly. Hotel supply and housing supply are very different things. Turning housing supply into hotel supply is loving your market even more than it already is.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Shifty Pony posted:

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
— Meredith Perry (@meredithperry) October 21, 2015
Guessing Meredith Perry, confirmed female hand-waiving a brutal engineering problem with buzzwords to the tune of VC millions, is not loved by redditors.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ShadowHawk posted:

Ok, so people buy houses or condos to be airbnb landlords since this is now more profitable. But then they rent out that housing to tenants. How is there "more demand" or "less supply" than we started with?

AirBNB properties probably spend at least part of the year vacant. Hotels spend most of their time in the state of "not full." Apartments only spend time vacant if they're between tenants which is actually very unlikely in an area like San Francisco. Some quick Googling shows that AirBNB places are occupied less than half of the year. Somebody living in an apartment is going to want to stay there and will occupy it first at least a year solid, probably longer. A long-term tenant is going to occupy a place for a long, solid stretch of time while an AirBNB renter is going to occupy it briefly and lead into a gap before the next renter.

So you have all of these apartments just sitting empty most of the year because "gently caress you it's more profitable." This is already in the middle of an area suffering from a housing crisis. Granted it also doesn't help that a poo poo load of the living space there (incidentally in places like NYC as well) is owned by people who don't even live there or rent it out but rather have it as a second home sort of thing.

They aren't renting AirBNB spaces out to tenants. They're renting it out to people visiting like it was a hotel or inn or whatever. There's a massive difference between "people live here" and "people stay here."

edit: Thought of something else; if a property is exclusively AirBNB'ed then it's a place somebody can no longer live. It is no longer a dwelling and has reduced the amount of living space in the area. The supply of "places a person can live" has been reduced.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 11, 2016

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

It sucks about that guy's dad but most of those stories are 3rd world as gently caress. The one about the foreigners in that place in Taiwan (and it's horrible, no question) is HostelsOutsideTheAngloWorld.txt. Same about the dog bite in Argentina.

Peztopiary posted:

Report her/come to an understanding where you get some of the money. Disruption!

This, but unironicly! Talk to the landlord - they're going to be very interested in not having trouble.

Arsenic Lupin, I think we do have a cultural difference that's causing us to talk past eachother. "This venue is not following the rules", as a matter of principal, doesn't provoke any outrage in me. That is the way things are done where I live. If the rules are inconvenient, people won't follow them unless they're being audited. Much of the time they couldn't even tell you what rules should apply in any case. Any kind of certificate or certification here means very little. You just sort of talk things out informally and come to arrangements that work for you, and use your eyes and your good sense to avoid bad situations. So for me, Uber and AirBNB present no dangers or difficulties that don't already exist without them.

With regard to background checks in Austin, it's notable that national criminal background checks have been mandatory for Uber and Lyft since 2014 but weren't mandatory for traditional livery companies until just last month. Were commuters being exposed to needless danger because felons from out of state could become taxi drivers?

edit: on the subject of background checks:

http://kxan.com/2015/10/27/uber-drivers-who-failed-its-background-check-have-austin-issued-permit/

tldr - Turns out that of 163 applicants with chauffer's licenses in Austin who applied to Uber, 53 failed the background check and 19 of those had serious offenses such as DUI, violent felonies, etc.

wateroverfire fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 11, 2016

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Unguided posted:

There's going to be one hell of an explosion the first time this thing crashes into a misaligned section.

Cost of doing business. Doubt we'll be lucky enough for that to happen in the maiden voyage with the idiots who pushed this through on board, though. :smith:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

wateroverfire posted:

Arsenic Lupin, I think we do have a cultural difference that's causing us to talk past each other. "This venue is not following the rules", as a matter of principal, doesn't provoke any outrage in me. That is the way things are done where I live. If the rules are inconvenient, people won't follow them unless they're being audited. Much of the time they couldn't even tell you what rules should apply in any case. Any kind of certificate or certification here means very little. You just sort of talk things out informally and come to arrangements that work for you, and use your eyes and your good sense to avoid bad situations. So for me, Uber and AirBNB present no dangers or difficulties that don't already exist without them.
Ah! I don't think we'll ever agree then. What you call "rules" I call "laws", and I think a company whose business model relies on ignoring the laws is a bad company. I think this especially strongly when the laws in question regulate matters of health, safety, and labor protection.

To give one example, I spend a lot of time reading human-caused disaster books. The major cause of death in the big American fire calamities -- the Triangle fire, the Iroquois Theatre fire, the Collinwood School fire, the Cocoanut Grove fire, and on and on and on, was human decisions like having too few fire exits, fire exits that were impossible to find, fire exits that were blocked, fire exits whose latches it was difficult to operate. The response to many of these fires was to (A) tighten fire code enforcement and (B) update the fire code to prevent problems in the future.

Without fire code adherence, you get the Beverly Hills Supper Club fire (165 dead), the Station nightclub fire (100 dead), and many more. I don't think that casually ignoring laws that reduce profit (obeying the fire code means expensive building materials and reducing the amount of salable floor space) is a good thing for society.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

ShadowHawk posted:

No, I was saying airbnb takes homes off the long-term rental market to cater to tourists. Just using that insideairbnb website I can see a number of studio apartments on my street identical to mine, that are being rented for an average of twice mine, or similar properties in the area. But being rented out by the day instead of month.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 11, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ah! I don't think we'll ever agree then. What you call "rules" I call "laws", and I think a company whose business model relies on ignoring the laws is a bad company. I think this especially strongly when the laws in question regulate matters of health, safety, and labor protection.

To give one example, I spend a lot of time reading human-caused disaster books. The major cause of death in the big American fire calamities -- the Triangle fire, the Iroquois Theatre fire, the Collinwood School fire, the Cocoanut Grove fire, and on and on and on, was human decisions like having too few fire exits, fire exits that were impossible to find, fire exits that were blocked, fire exits whose latches it was difficult to operate. The response to many of these fires was to (A) tighten fire code enforcement and (B) update the fire code to prevent problems in the future.

Without fire code adherence, you get the Beverly Hills Supper Club fire (165 dead), the Station nightclub fire (100 dead), and many more. I don't think that casually ignoring laws that reduce profit (obeying the fire code means expensive building materials and reducing the amount of salable floor space) is a good thing for society.

Let's also not forget that in situations like the Triangle factory the workers were literally locked in. The guy that ran the place decided he couldn't trust the women to actually do their jobs so he mandated that the doors be locked so they couldn't even try to leave early. None of them had a way out. This "regulations are bad let's destroy them" attitude is just so incredibly stupid. Generally speaking if a regulation exists it probably has roots in some rich guy being an rear end in a top hat somewhere between 50 and 200 years ago.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

wateroverfire posted:

Arsenic Lupin, I think we do have a cultural difference that's causing us to talk past eachother. "This venue is not following the rules", as a matter of principal, doesn't provoke any outrage in me. That is the way things are done where I live. If the rules are inconvenient, people won't follow them unless they're being audited. Much of the time they couldn't even tell you what rules should apply in any case. Any kind of certificate or certification here means very little. You just sort of talk things out informally and come to arrangements that work for you, and use your eyes and your good sense to avoid bad situations. So for me, Uber and AirBNB present no dangers or difficulties that don't already exist without them.

This is hilarious because a consistent and predictable regulatory environment helps a business grow a lot faster than a bunch of arbitrary handshake agreements and workarounds ever will.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yet some laws seem more relevant than others, don't they? For instance, consider an apartment building with 50 units in which some are being rented on AirBNB. If the building meets the code requirements for people to live in it long term, does it become unsafe if some of the units are rented short term? The relevance of hotel buliding and fire codes to this sort of operation seems less obvious.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

This is hilarious because a consistent and predictable regulatory environment helps a business grow a lot faster than a bunch of arbitrary handshake agreements and workarounds ever will.

A consistent and predictable and also well designed and administered regulatory environment, sure, I agree. If you have one that is consistent and predictable but generally awful (but still arguably the best in Latin America, LOL) you get what we have here. =(

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I knew it would be a failure as soon as I got to the part where the company was endorsed by Larry Summers

I'm not sure why people would think that an idea supported by an economist would necessarily be a good business idea, but I guess they're assuming all the investors really care about is he's a connected guy who is Very Serious and has something to do with money.

Theranos was the king company of putting together a list of important, connected people that had nothing to do with their actual product, though. It's funny that none of their investors stopped and thought "Why isn't there a doctor, scientist, or someone who involved with biomedical testing companies on their board?". For companies that are supposed to be disruptive to the existing order, it's funny when they hamfistedly ram themselves into the existing political establishment like some kind of venture capital sucking suppository.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Lending Club and Prosper are both good ideas and legitimate business models. Much like Uber. They may have just screwed things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Let's also not forget that in situations like the Triangle factory the workers were literally locked in. The guy that ran the place decided he couldn't trust the women to actually do their jobs so he mandated that the doors be locked so they couldn't even try to leave early. None of them had a way out. This "regulations are bad let's destroy them" attitude is just so incredibly stupid. Generally speaking if a regulation exists it probably has roots in some rich guy being an rear end in a top hat somewhere between 50 and 200 years ago.
Wasn't this also the reason that buildings in NYC all had fire escapes installed? I'm pretty sure you ended up with women throwing themselves from several stories up out of windows in order to escape the fire.