Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm actually working on a mod that increases tech yield to give longer eras, I stopped working on it when I got concussed. I can have it ready within a week, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Most of my Civ playing is now through GMR, and I seem to have hit a wall in my skill level. I'm fine at the early game, but I always seem to fall behind in the middle game and can't ever recover. Can anyone recommend some good tutorials that might help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Peas and Rice posted:

Most of my Civ playing is now through GMR, and I seem to have hit a wall in my skill level. I'm fine at the early game, but I always seem to fall behind in the middle game and can't ever recover. Can anyone recommend some good tutorials that might help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Are you leveraging growth properly? It's by far the most important aspect of transitioning into the mid game. It fuels everything you do, most importantly science. Look at some of the LPs on youtube from the better players to see how they prioritize techs and buildings along with citizen placement. My favorite is SBFMadDjinn, as he's very skilled without being awful to listen to, while offering explanations for most things he do. Marbozir and GuardsmanBob both also have some Civ5 videos and are decent to good players, but I haven't seen too much of their stuff.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Watch RezoAcken on YouTube if you want to learn how to wage war.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
AI still not all that great at Prince with CBP. Did a four player Map as China against Rome, Byzanitum and the Inca, taking their capitals in that order. Rome was balls deep in their territory, Constantinople was in a morass of Rivers and Jungles and Cuzco had the Great Wall behind a strip of desert. Otoh, Rome was behind in tech due to going so wide, Byzantium was behind in just about everything else and the Inca had their Capital about 8 spaces away from my third city. It probably also helped that city number two was right next to Lake Victoria and number three was nestled in some mountains and hills with two Iron spots and King Solomon's Mines at three spaces away.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Peas and Rice posted:

My guess is you're not pushing enough vertical growth, and are not beelining education. Get at least 1 worker per city, have farms come online every time you get a pop growth, and funnel food caravans to your capital. Keep your troops pushed out as sentries and keep tabs on your neighbours, and watch for evidence of them going for a timing push. Meanwhile, you can feed your growth into more growth, or position yourself for a timing push yourself.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Also keep an eye on nearby CS special units. I was playing a GMR game for over a year until I had to retire ( makes me sad). It was largely a European map, with me as Ottomans at Constantinople as my capital. I friended then allied a CS that gave me Assyrian SeigeTowers. With two of those and some compound bowman and galleases, I managed to completely wipe Rome off the map and give myself a LOT of breathing room.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvBf6WBatk0

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

They've got work to do to win me back after Beyond Earth, TBH

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

The resource-to-tile system in general could use a little bit of touching up but I'm still summarily exited. And sumerianaly.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

The screenshots on steam makes this look like a mobile game.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

chestnut santabag posted:

Oh hey whadya know there's already a Steam page. Features list:

quote:

EXPANSIVE EMPIRES:
See the marvels of your empire spread across the map like never before. Each city spans multiple tiles so you can custom build your cities to take full advantage of the local terrain.

ACTIVE RESEARCH:
Unlock boosts that speed your civilization’s progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment, and discover new cultures.

DYNAMIC DIPLOMACY:
Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life, to late game alliances and negotiations.

COMBINED ARMS:
Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units.

ENHANCED MULTIPLAYER:
In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session.

A CIV FOR ALL PLAYERS:
Civilization VI provides veteran players new ways to build and tune their civilization for the greatest chance of success. New tutorial systems introduce new players to the underlying concepts so they can easily get started.

And said mobile screenshots:

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

VentureBeat's article/writeup, : http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/11/sid-meiers-civilization-vi-debuts-this-fall-with-a-new-take-on-cities/

Edit: Rock Paper Shotgun: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/05/11/civilization-vi-details/

GameInformer: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...campaign=buffer

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 11, 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Make Haiti a civilization in the game. It's time for Toussaint Louverture to shine. And don't make Teddy Roosevelt the American leader. (Too early to argue about this?)

Glad Ed Beach is the lead designer.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I can't not be excited for a civ game. The new design choice is interesting, guess they're leaning into stylized art and hard lines than the realism and smooth borders the last game was going for?

Combined arms sounds like a good development on 1UPT, I feel like 1UPT was a positive change over deathstacks but there were still flaws to work around.

Active research sounds like a cool way to make science victories less boring.

The expansive cities thing sounds interesting, I wonder if that works like Endless Legend?

Jump King fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 11, 2016

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

:v:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Like literally the only way the top one looks worse is if you hate more vibrant colors.

Look at the shadows for a real difference - in Civ 5, they're blobs. In Civ 6, they're actual distinct shapes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Holy poo poo that's the guy that did Here I Stand/Virgin Queen. Not the best games but very interesting. Announcement's all marketing talk but if they actually mean it it could be interesting- more varied development strategies, districts outside your cities, and the changes to warfare sound nice. Probably won't get it on release though.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Echoing what the other guy said - The graphical quality in the first one is way higher, it's just got a more stylized appearance.

Also combining three units into one big army :toot: Civ Rev lives on motherfuckers!

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Managing AA along side artillery and ground forces got really old with 1UPT so embedding sounds super nice. I wonder if that also spells the end of civilian/military units being able to stack together, though.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

it look like clash of clans fucks sake

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Honestly I'm most excited about multi-tile cities. That was one of my favorite features of Endless Legend, and I'm excited to see what Firaxis does with it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

StashAugustine posted:

Holy poo poo that's the guy that did Here I Stand/Virgin Queen. Not the best games but very interesting. Announcement's all marketing talk but if they actually mean it it could be interesting- more varied development strategies, districts outside your cities, and the changes to warfare sound nice. Probably won't get it on release though.
This is good news but not surprising because he designed the two expansions for Civ5.

Obligatory "Will Poland be in the game?"

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Looks great.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Wonder if they'll bother telling the AI how to play this one.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

chestnut santabag posted:

It looks like one of those games you see on late night tv commercials. The one free online browser games. Civilization.tv

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

This is good news but not surprising because he designed the two expansions for Civ5.

In keeping with tradition he's most likely to gently caress this one up and then they'll bring some other developer to fix it across 2 expansions

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I really, really like the idea of your actions in-game contributing towards specific advances but I'm 100% sure they're going to gently caress it up pretty badly at launch.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

It's amazing how unappealing the new design is. It may have more polys or better shadows but it looks absolutely awful.

For those that are digging it, what about it appeals?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

DOOMocrat posted:

Managing AA along side artillery and ground forces got really old with 1UPT so embedding sounds super nice. I wonder if that also spells the end of civilian/military units being able to stack together, though.

According to this article, it sounds like you'll still at least be able to link settlers/warriors together...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/civilization-vi-first-details/?utm_source=socialm&utm_medium=twitter

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Rakthar posted:

It's amazing how unappealing the new design is. It may have more polys or better shadows but it looks absolutely awful.

"style"

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

i'm incredibly pissed off that the new civ game looks like poo poo.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm not a huge fan of the art style, but I can forgive that when everything else is everything I've ever wanted out of Civ.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

In keeping with tradition he's most likely to gently caress this one up and then they'll bring some other developer to fix it across 2 expansions

Did Soren Johnson not do the Civ 4 xpacs?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Rakthar posted:

I like colorful things. :shrug: Honestly though Civ has always been a series where the approach to realism was fitting, so I wouldn't feel strongly about it either way.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think it looks better than 5's half-assed attempts at realism, all trees looking like mold spores and poo poo

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

quote:

Development duties are in the hands of the team behind Civ V’s expansions, Gods & Kings and Brave New World, and when we spoke to designer Ed Beach and associate producer Sarah Darney last week to learn all the details, they told us that almost every system from the complete Civ V will be included in the sequel: trade routes, religious systems, archaeology…there’ll be no need to wait for expansions, it’s all in the base game.

Thank Christ

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Each one of those samurai has their own unique little hat and I think that's just swell.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Gonna go out on a limb and say my 5 year old MacBook Air won't be able to run that.

Time for it to have a little "accident."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I like the art, but it definitely does have a bit of mobile game feeling.

Rakthar posted:

I like when games lean into style over realism myself. I think it's easier to get things to look good stylistically than realistically but that's just my opinion.

I'm not sure if it works for this game based on three sceenshots, but I'm optimistic.

• Locked thread