Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

wateroverfire posted:

Yet some laws seem more relevant than others, don't they? For instance, consider an apartment building with 50 units in which some are being rented on AirBNB. If the building meets the code requirements for people to live in it long term, does it become unsafe if some of the units are rented short term? The relevance of hotel buliding and fire codes to this sort of operation seems less obvious.

Ahh yes, the "common sense" school of jurisprudence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Kobayashi posted:

Ahh yes, the "common sense" school of jurisprudence.

So...you're saying yes, the building does become unsafe if some units are short-term rented?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

San Francisco has many interests, only one of which is safety. However, because the people in a hotel are necessarily transient, there are strict laws about marking exits with lights, because somebody who's there for only one night isn't familiar with where the halls and stairs are. Apartments don't have to do that.

But that's a minor example. The major example is that San Francisco's stock of long-term housing is far, far smaller than the demand, and as a result non-wealthy people are being priced out of the city. In reaction to this, San Francisco has passed strict (and sometimes counterproductive) laws about how you can use private housing. You can't turn something that was previously long-term rental space into hotel housing without getting permission. If you just say "Dude, whatever is most profitable for you", then there will be less and less rental housing available. This benefits people who own property, but harms the city.

Unless you're going to go all Libertarian on us, cities have the right and responsibility to pass regulations and laws for the common good. They are going to screw this up because, duh, people, but leaving all regulation to the whims of profit-making people has turned out badly when we've tried it before.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wasn't this also the reason that buildings in NYC all had fire escapes installed? I'm pretty sure you ended up with women throwing themselves from several stories up out of windows in order to escape the fire.

If memory serves it was a major factor yes but the 19th century is just chock full of "...and this is why we have safety laws now" stories. You can't really pick one singular cause for a safety feature because for every one story that got told there's like a bajillion similar stories that didn't. The notable exception, of course, being the horrifying poo poo storm that followed San Francisco's great quake leading directly to laws best summed up as "this city was built in the single dumbest way imaginable let's not do that ever again."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That's a really good example, because safety regulations often iterate after something horrible happens. See the changes to code after the La Prieta earthquake, when we found out that soft stories collapse quite literally like a house of cards. Or look at all the coal-mining regulations that Donald Blankenship blithely ignored, leading to the death of 29 miners. All those mining regulations were written in blood.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

asdf32 posted:

Lending Club and Prosper are both good ideas and legitimate business models. Much like Uber. They may have just screwed things up.

Lending Club is reliant on being able to charge higher interest rates on their loans than state capped rates through private deals with banks. The Madden vs Midland ruling dropped their share value by 43% and they are now forced to redo their operating model. If your business is dependent on bypassing one or two key regulations and is constantly under threat of being upended by a supreme court ruling then it doesn't feel like a very legitimate business model to me.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's a really good example, because safety regulations often iterate after something horrible happens. See the changes to code after the La Prieta earthquake, when we found out that soft stories collapse quite literally like a house of cards. Or look at all the coal-mining regulations that Donald Blankenship blithely ignored, leading to the death of 29 miners. All those mining regulations were written in blood.

Or even in the modern day, after Deepwater Horizon they mandated that Professional Engineers have to sign off on designs.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

wateroverfire posted:

So...you're saying yes, the building does become unsafe if some units are short-term rented?

The building itself doesn't become unsafe necessarily, but the unit itself can become unsafe. Does the unit have its own water heater, or furnace? Does it have a CO monitor? Is it getting checked for bed bugs that could then infest the whole building? Frequent guests are going to increase your chance of bed bugs because they could be bringing them from their own home. Is the unit being kept clean, or are guests leaving it messy and the owner isn't cleaning it thoroughly, which can attract vermin? These are all important things that need to be taken care of when running a hotel out of an apartment.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

wateroverfire posted:

I'm saying your "common sense" argument is bullshit and you don't get to arbitrarily turn my apartment building into a flophouse.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

wateroverfire posted:

duh

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Or even in the modern day, after Deepwater Horizon they mandated that Professional Engineers have to sign off on designs.

Exactly. Not all laws are dumb regulations existing due to rent-seeking within an industry. Sometimes (dare I say often) they exist because we learned a hard lesson and people who have worked their entire lives in a particular field know that the rule will prevent really bad poo poo from going down.

What a lot of these "sharing economy" companies are doing the civil engineering equivalent of those goofy "redneck engineering" things you see online. Yea, it kinda works. Hell, at first glance it even seems kinda fun. But it's not a sustainable solution in the long term.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
Oooh... Salty VC tears ahoy! (An article written by a VC and Lyft investor, talking about how Austin's vote on Uber and Lyft is not only bad, but medieval.)

quote:

The Sun Doesn’t Rotate Around the Earth, and TNC’s Don’t Work with Fingerprinting.

(...)

Why was the ordinance wrong and how specifically did it break the TNCs’ business model and why did they fight back?

It turns out that every digital marketplace depends on getting supply right as the jumping off point. Without solving supply in a compelling way, you can’t even begin to bring customers to the party. The business models of Lyft and Uber create flexible options for drivers that are intentional — They want to let drivers drive only a few hours a week if that is what they want. They want to let drivers drive some weeks and not others, or some seasons and not others. They want to let some people drive as a part-time job and some drivers drive as a full-time job. The strength of digital networks comes from the idea that you let people have the most varied possible ways to deliver value to users of the network. You try to eliminate all of the friction for those who would supply value. Supply works for a TNC because it offers drivers an extraordinarily fine-grained model for participating.

This is core to the model. When there are more drivers, there is better service, which means that you get more riders. And that, in turn, means more drivers. And then again, more riders. And at each successive stage of this happening the price goes down because the market clearing price to match supply and demand gets more and more efficient and therefore lower. There are ever more and cheaper options for riders and more ways to make instant money efficiently for drivers. It’s a virtuous cycle.

The City Council passed an ordinance for fingerprinting that broke this. People who drive only part time or some of the time very often choose not to get fingerprints because the process is too onerous, (which by the way has never been proven to improve safety.) This is why it is failing in Houston. Lyft pulled out already. Uber is about to. Why would Uber pull out if they had an uncontested monopoly in a massive City like Houston when they hate Lyft with a passion? The answer is clear…the approach to fingerprinting there DOES. NOT. WORK.

Some continue to insist that “fingerprinting is not that onerous. What’s the big deal?” But they are simply ignoring the facts in front of them. They are letting what they WISH to be true to supersede what we can OBSERVE to be true. The fact that Uber doesn’t want to be in Houston even with a monopoly is an existence proof that it is too onerous. The people who say “fingerprinting is not that onerous” are wrong. The facts on the ground prove them wrong. They need to get out of denial.

In my repeated efforts to explain this to people affiliated with Austin politics, I am reminded of the Middle Ages when Copernicus said “The Earth is not the center of the Solar System. The Sun is.” He was right on the facts. He was right on the science. But the Pope said “You are wrong. And you are wrong because I say so and I am the Pope.” This is how the City Council has acted and this is how too many of the Austin politicos have acted. Ultimately, you can put the issue of whether the Earth is the Center of the Universe up to a City Council vote. You can even have a Citywide election vote. But some FACTS cannot be changed with a political vote. Facts are stubborn. Facts are facts.

(...)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ShadowHawk posted:

Ok, so people buy houses or condos to be airbnb landlords since this is now more profitable. But then they rent out that housing to tenants. How is there "more demand" or "less supply" than we started with?

Meanwhile in my neighborhood there are plenty of "ghost houses" that are owned by real estate speculators and not being rented out to tenants. An AirBNB baron buying one of those would increase the available supply of housing, even if they moved into the area to do it!

Funny how you only tend to hear arguments in favor of airbnb from people who manage an airbnb

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I wonder what the overlap is between people who support voter id laws and people who are mad at required fingerprinting

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

nachos posted:

Lending Club is reliant on being able to charge higher interest rates on their loans than state capped rates through private deals with banks. The Madden vs Midland ruling dropped their share value by 43% and they are now forced to redo their operating model. If your business is dependent on bypassing one or two key regulations and is constantly under threat of being upended by a supreme court ruling then it doesn't feel like a very legitimate business model to me.

It's funny because if you look at it closely how many startups are literally based on "how do we get past this regulation?" Same with the financial sector; it's like "hey so there was a time you could abuse the lack of this rule to vomit piles of cash in a bank account soooo....you guys think we can get around this rule somehow?"

Then the government says "knock that poo poo off you fucks" and a pile of programmers suddenly decide they're libertarians.

Then we get the Great Recession, nobody learns anything, nothing gets fixed, and poo poo just constantly burns down everywhere all the time because gently caress you I want another Porsche.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Uber just settled a lawsuit by requiring their drivers to accept seeing-eye dogs.

quote:

The suit, filed by the National Federation of the Blind in September 2014, said many Uber drivers have refused to take passengers with dogs.

For example, the suit said, one Uber driver agreed by phone to take two passengers to a home in Menlo Park, but when he arrived and saw a guide dog, he shouted, “No dogs,” and sped away. Another driver locked a Sacramento passenger’s guide dog in the trunk, the suit said, and Uber tried to charge cancellation fees to some blind passengers after its drivers refused to transport them.

Uber denied discriminating and said it had a policy of accommodating passengers with disabilities. Uber also argued that, as a ride-hailing service that merely connects drivers and passengers, it wasn’t covered by laws that require taxis and other transportation services to carry a disabled passenger’s service animal.

But a federal magistrate in San Francisco refused to dismiss the suit last year, leading to a settlement before the case was scheduled for trial. With court approval, it will be the first nationwide settlement of a disability suit against such a company, advocates said.

The agreement announced Saturday requires Uber to tell drivers about their obligation to carry guide dogs, the advocacy groups said. They said Uber will also be required to dismiss any driver who knowingly violates that policy a single time, or violates it for any reason more than once.
Disruptive!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
So backing up a bit to hyperloop chat and Elon Musk, it's totally the sort of project that you'd expect as a parody.
He threw out the idea as something that'd be possible at a TED talk, just supposed to be a throw away, like "We should think outside the box, maybe something like pneumatic tubes for transport!" that got way too much traction so he wrote up a 50 page or so idea of how he thought it could work.

Then at least 2 separate groups started trying to vacuum up the unicorn money and talent willing to work for stock options using his brand and the buzzword he coined, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies Inc and Hyperloop Technologies Inc.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

nachos posted:

I wonder what the overlap is between people who support voter id laws and people who are mad at required fingerprinting
I oppose voter ID laws and I'm mad at a lack of required fingerprinting, does that count? :devil:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Back to Google and Java for a moment (oog). Didn't discovery turn up a smoking-gun email in which somebody senior said something to the effect of "Yeah, we know this is sleazy, but let's go for it because of time constraints"?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Uber just settled a lawsuit by requiring their drivers to accept seeing-eye dogs.

Disruptive!

what keeps the drivers from just rating these service animal riders a 1

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Presumably the same thing that keeps them from using someone else's name to drive for Uber.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Just-world fallacy. That's all you need to get around the ethical implications.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Some people are sneakier about their violations of the law than others.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

wateroverfire posted:

If the building meets the code requirements for people to live in it long term, does it become unsafe if some of the units are rented short term?

Yes

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Gawker usually blows, but this article gave me a good chuckle

In which a 20-year-old Yalie becomes his VC fund manager father's tax dodge through corporatespeak

Apologies if it was already posted.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

nachos posted:

They facilitate loans. Loans have been a good business model for forever. And lending club in particular actually has a large amount of higher quality lower rate loans.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

nachos posted:

Yeah I'm not really understanding this. When I look at the interest rates on Lending Club I don't see anything confiscatory. Many of the loans I see are specifically for credit card debt consolidation and the interest rates are lower than what the borrowers were paying previously. Are you saying there are cheaper loans out there that are capped by the state that the borrowers are simply unaware of? How would that even work for Lending Club's sales pitch? Are they just targeting ignorant people?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

negativeneil posted:

Yeah I'm not really understanding this. When I look at the interest rates on Lending Club I don't see anything confiscatory. Many of the loans I see are specifically for credit card debt consolidation and the interest rates are lower than what the borrowers were paying previously. Are you saying there are cheaper loans out there that are capped by the state that the borrowers are simply unaware of? How would that even work for Lending Club's sales pitch? Are they just targeting ignorant people?

From what I understand, a peer to peer loan on Lending Club used a Utah bank called WebBank which means they could charge Utah interest rates for a loan made in another state with state capped rates lower than those of Utah. I don't know if this still exists since the Supreme Court decision happened at the end of last year.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

negativeneil posted:

I believe the non kosher stuff going on is the less than transparent way institutional investors and the broker's friends are getting the first bite. Also the debt is unsecured and they may be passing on the cruft and selling stuff they know should be write offs as assets.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Kobayashi posted:

I'm saying your "common sense" argument is bullshit and you don't get to arbitrarily turn my apartment building into a flophouse.

Also one person's "we don't need regulation, just use common sense" is another's "its not forbidden, gotta go for maximal exploitation!"

It's the kind of thing that enables a race to the bottom in all sorts of areas.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Coolness Averted posted:

Then at least 2 separate groups started trying to vacuum up the unicorn money and talent willing to work for stock options using his brand and the buzzword he coined, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies Inc and Hyperloop Technologies Inc.

Which one is affiliated with Carnegie Mellon? The CMU one keeps emailing me as if I'm some sort of alumnus who would give them money for their "Make life more like Futurama!" project.

(Everyone knows the proper project is to make life more like Real Genius. :colbert: )

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

eschaton posted:

Which one is affiliated with Carnegie Mellon? The CMU one keeps emailing me as if I'm some sort of alumnus who would give them money for their "Make life more like Futurama!" project.

(Everyone knows the proper project is to make life more like Real Genius. :colbert: )

Oh that's actually a completely separate team on a completely separate project as well! Hyperloops for everyone!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'm going to make Hooberloop. It's like Hyperloop only it goes 775 miles per hour. What now? :smug:

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm going to make Hooberloop. It's like Hyperloop only it goes 775 miles per hour. What now? :smug:

Hüberloop

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Not a Children posted:

Gawker usually blows, but this article gave me a good chuckle

In which a 20-year-old Yalie becomes his VC fund manager father's tax dodge through corporatespeak

Apologies if it was already posted.

A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Unguided posted:

A donation has been made in your name to The Humanloop Fund.

You know this isn't actually that uncommon -I mean the make-work fake start ups for worthless children. It's just now we're seeing enough ulra-wealthy enough to take this vanity fake company thing to a whole new level.
At least in the past you'd have to setup a company that leeches your staff and general expertise and just runs itself with your brat on as a vestigial executive.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 12, 2016

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Also it ends 200 miles north of LA city centre instead of 100 miles like Hyperloop

And the tube is kept aloft by surplus helicopter engines, so there is no need to worry about land! Disruptive.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

MikeCrotch posted:

Also it ends 200 miles north of LA city centre instead of 100 miles like Hyperloop

And the tube is kept aloft by surplus helicopter engines, so there is no need to worry about land! Disruptive.

Space is also involved for

uh

reasons

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

That ultrasound startup is hilarious by the way. It is basically a photo-Theranos and ticks pretty much every box in Silicon Valley startup bingo. Some choice bits:

loving hell, I wish I'd had the gumption to take my high school science projects to tech conferences.

Is anyone here by chance a brilliant vernture capitalist that would like to throw some liquidity at a radio* that doesn't need external power? I can demonstrate a working prototype and don't need much, even a couple grand would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

nachos posted:

From what I understand, a peer to peer loan on Lending Club used a Utah bank called WebBank which means they could charge Utah interest rates for a loan made in another state with state capped rates lower than those of Utah. I don't know if this still exists since the Supreme Court decision happened at the end of last year.

So it's exactly as shady as the entire credit card industry but with better rates?