Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007
I thought he was quite charming. Just got stuck in some clunky movies. I enjoyed little pieces of the Electro stuff and the overall look they had going quite a bit, it's too bad. Liked what I saw from the new actor as well... just find Spidey some better writing please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is such a good and well choreographed fight with nice little jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10fno5Qpm7w

The new Spider-Man seems to capture this quite well and im really looking forward to it. It's one thing the Raimi movies, IMHO, missed. I need to go back though and watch at least 1 & 2 as it's been ages.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Phylodox posted:

Even after Uncle Ben died he was kind of a dick, to be honest. One of the first things he does as Spider-Man is break into the Baxter Building and gently caress up the Fantastic Four's poo poo to convince them to give him a job.

Not long afterwards he crashes one of Johnny Storm's parties and starts fighting him for literally no reason but envy. And also (sort of) hits on his sister. Early Spider-Man was a big jerk and I love it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Phylodox posted:

James A. Garfield, 20th President of the United States of America.

He failed to stop Charles Guiteau, who later killed his Uncle.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Vintersorg posted:

This is such a good and well choreographed fight with nice little jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10fno5Qpm7w

The new Spider-Man seems to capture this quite well and im really looking forward to it. It's one thing the Raimi movies, IMHO, missed. I need to go back though and watch at least 1 & 2 as it's been ages.

Man I hated the score for ASM1.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Wonder Woman filming wrapped yesterday. Patty Jenkins has been tweeting out her thanks and whatnot to cast and crew. Love this image she posted because of how Gal clearly stands out in her costume:
https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/730142777682579456
Looks like she's towering over everyone next to her too. She is Wonder Woman :allears:
[edit] Here's a higher-res version of the image in the tweet:

Hope we can maybe see a teaser in front of Suicide Squad? If not then, I imagine the Wonder Woman movie is going to be a huge push at SDCC. So stoked.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 11, 2016

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Themyscira, the birthplace of greenscreen.

Seriously though, anticipating WW quite a bit.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's a missed opportunity that they went with a still image instead of a slowly panning black & white video with "Is She With You?" playing over it.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

TFRazorsaw posted:

You know, if the X-Men are an allegory for minorities, LGBTA individuals, the neurodivergent, or other minority groups, they SHOULD be fun. Or else they're saying the experience of being different is all about suffering and people hating you.

In practice, the X-Men are not an allegory for minorities. They are an allegory for gun control.

Also, separately, for a very significant number of people affected, a major component of the experience of being different is about suffering and people hating you.

Crion fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 11, 2016

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Or else they're saying the experience of being different is all about suffering and people hating you.
Congrats on being part of the majority and never having to think about this stuff I guess.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Sonic Guy knows being a minority sucks he just thinks media should primarily function as positive escapism.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm just amazed so many goons personally know Andrew Garfield.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maybe Garfield is a goon.

https://twitter.com/BretEastonEllis/status/727399215098269697

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

TetsuoTW posted:

Congrats on being part of the majority and never having to think about this stuff I guess.

I mean I sympathize with the point to some extent. Take the superhero allegory away and there's all sorts of manifestations of this trend - black actors generally getting nominated for major awards only when they're playing slaves or similarly ultra-abject categories of people, and so on. Obviously it's dope to acknowledge and discuss those depressing historical and contemporary realities rather than papering over them with some Song of the South poo poo, but I can see the desire to have one's experience fictively defined as something other than an endless parade of tragedy. That's the kind of mindset that leads to homebody popping into this thread to castigate Short Term 12 for having its protagonist be too competent at her job when everyone knows that "most" victims of abuse end up becoming abusers themselves, loving lol

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
otoh AS A BLACK MAN, I'm glad none of the stuff in that vein that came out when I was a kid/saw when I was a kid was pure escapism. Static (and the whole Milestone line), Blankman, Priest's Black Panther, and so on - all that kind of stuff was appealing precisely because it wasn't frivolous Captain Planet Burger King Kid's Club kumbaya garbage. It had something to chew on and relate to.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh for sure, hence the "to some extent". If I recall, Razorsaw does fit into at least one of the groups that he listed in that post, so if he's regularly dealing with enough heavy poo poo and the escapist route is his jam, more power to him. The "SHOULD" part is weird because that preference sure as hell isn't universal, but I can see where he's coming from

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Chairman Capone posted:

First Class is not only my favorite X-Men movie, it's one of my favorite comic movies, and if you take out the Nolan trilogy which I think is on a different level, could be my favorite comic movie of all time. There are a few stumbles in it (the black mutant's death scene, the final fight scene is a bit overdrawn) but on the whole it's just so fun. Aside from the quality and chemistry of the actors, I think it's because it draws as much from Bond movies as it does from comic books. Plus, again outside of the Nolan trilogy, I think it has the best score of any comic book movie, one of the few I can actually put on and listen to throughout rather than just enjoy certain tracks from.

I feel like I'm slowly realizing I'm alone in my hate of First Class.

It's not that it's a bad movie - the Magneto storyline is amazing, and the battle at the end is fine, save the ridiculous conclusion with a magic bullet.

It just had so many bad and embarrassing moments, that I can't even watch the thing. Stripper butterfly, slow-rolling tears for "mutant and proud", Kevin Bacon's horrible miscasting as Shaw, and Darwin's death scene, among others.

The idea to set the film in the 60s was a good one, but beyond a few sets and wardrobe, it didn't really matter.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

There's like 10-15 minutes of good stuff in First Class and that's about it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

So Vox gives us a list of the ranking of the MCU films:

http://www.vox.com/2015/5/6/8558387/marvel-movie-ranking-captain-america-civil-war

quote:

13. Iron Man 2
12. Incredible Hulk
11. Thor Dark World
10. Thor
9. Iron Man 3
8. Ant-Man
7. Captain America: First Avenger
6. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Avengers: Age of Ultron
4. Iron Man
3. Captain America: Civil War
2. Captain America: Winter Soldier
1. The Avengers

The correct ranking is:

13. Iron Man 3
12. Incredible Hulk
11. Iron Man 2
10. Avengers: Age of Ultron
9. Thor
8. Ant-Man
7. Thor: Dark World
6. Captain America: Civil War
5. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. The Avengers
3. Captain America: First Avenger
2. Iron Man
1. Captain America: Winter Soldier

I realize that rankings mean nothing, and these articles are garbage, but come on. Iron Man 3 was a committee-designed turd.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Nah Iron Man 3 is the best MCU film and took the most risks out of them. Or maybe it's The First Avenger? I still ain't seen that one, and I have a feeling I'll like it when I finally get around to it

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah, you have to be thinking of Iron Man 2 as the committee designed turd. Iron Man 3 was a Shane Black movie starring Iron Man so they took him out of the suit for like 90% of the film. They also completely subverted everything involving involving the Mandarin. Even if you don't think it is a good movie (I'm pretty lukewarm on it) I would be interested to hear what you think the committee mandated stuff is.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Jenny Angel posted:

Nah Iron Man 3 is the best MCU film and took the most risks out of them. Or maybe it's The First Avenger? I still ain't seen that one, and I have a feeling I'll like it when I finally get around to it

I guess if you really like scowling generic bad guys, Iron Man 3 is probably your jam.

I'm not sure what was the worst about IM3:

- HILARIOUS scenes of the Iron Man armor slamming into Tony's junk
- Mandarin's goons attacking Iron Man's house on TV for like an hour and no police or anything show up
- Unnecessary and silly mid-flight rescue scene ending with everyone in the water smiling and waving at Iron Man
- Tony just goes, "gently caress it" and gets surgery so he doesn't need the armor to live
- Terence Howard is replaced by Don Cheadle, who plays the most lame and generic possible War Machine, only existing to be saved by Tony or to be Tony, Jr.
- Goofy sidekick Happy Hogan finds simple crime scene evidence the CIA/FBI/police could not
- Killian is actually a lovely villain
- The most interesting thing about the film, Tony's various armors, have a minimum of screen time
- Tony takes on a new villain with his newest and least-tested suit of armor

The stuff with the kid and his household-made weapons were the least objectionable things about the flick.

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah, you have to be thinking of Iron Man 2 as the committee designed turd. Iron Man 3 was a Shane Black movie starring Iron Man so they took him out of the suit for like 90% of the film. They also completely subverted everything involving involving the Mandarin. Even if you don't think it is a good movie (I'm pretty lukewarm on it) I would be interested to hear what you think the committee mandated stuff is.

I feel like a bunch of executives sat at a table, having lunch, and someone said, "What if we took Tony... out of the suit?", and immediately got pats on the back and a promotion to studio head.

Red fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 11, 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Guardians is easily the best, what the hell.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Red posted:

I guess if you really like scowling generic bad guys, Iron Man 3 is probably your jam.

- HILARIOUS scenes of the Iron Man armor slamming into Tony's junk
- Mandarin's goons attacking Iron Man's house on TV for like an hour and no police or anything show up
- Unnecessary and silly mid-flight rescue scene ending with everyone in the water smiling and waving at Iron Man
- Tony just goes, "gently caress it" and gets surgery so he doesn't need the armor to live
- Terence Howard is replaced by Don Cheadle, who plays the most lame and generic possible War Machine, only existing to be saved by Tony or to be Tony, Jr.
- Goofy sidekick Happy Hogan finds simple crime scene evidence the CIA/FBI/police could not
- Killian is actually a lovely villain
- The most interesting thing about the film, Tony's various armors, have a minimum of screen time
- Tony takes on a new villain with his newest and least-tested suit of armor

The stuff with the kid and his household-made weapons were the least objectionable things about the flick.

Are you literally 8 years old

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Red posted:

Ah, so like, CinemaSins

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jenny Angel posted:

Ah, so like, CinemaSins

At least one of those things didn't even happen in IM3.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Red posted:

I realize that rankings mean nothing, and these articles are garbage, but come on. Iron Man 3 was a committee-designed turd.

I think you could give these 13 films to any forum member and you'd get a completely different list. These movies aren't objectively better or worse than each other, certain ones just hit certain notes for some and not others. I have my reasons for liking each over the next, but none of them are truly objectively bad - a bunch of them just don't work very well for me personally. Mine are something along the lines of:

13. The Avengers
12. Ant-Man
11. Avengers: Age of Ultron
10. Thor
9. The Incredible Hulk
8. Iron Man II
7. Thor: The Dark World
6. Iron Man
5. Iron Man III
4. Captain America: Civil War (tentative)
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Captain America: The First Avenger
1. Guardians of the Galaxy

For example, Iron Man II has tons of issues as a film. But personally I'd rather watch it over Thor, a much less problematic film, any day of the week. It's got some good action work, some really solid set pieces, I love Sam Rockwell, RDJ is always a blast to watch, etc. Thor just seems like a slough in comparison.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 11, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

Yeah, you should check it out. The ending is even better with knowledge of what's going to happen to Cap once he's thrust into Tony's hosed-up future.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Having fairly recently rewatched most if not all of the MCU slate out of boredom, I believe my list goes something like Captain America: The First Avenger, Captain America: Civil War, I've Lost Interest in the Rest of this Exercise

Iron Man 3 gets props for the Mandarin stuff and Tony's Breaking and Entering Adventure in Middle America

but when you get to the point of debating the relative merits of Thor 2 and Iron Man 2, it begins to not particularly seem like a productive use of time

Crion fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 11, 2016

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Red posted:

If the you found the most interesting thing in the film to be Tony's various armors then yeah, you will probably hate the film.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, you should check it out. The ending is even better with knowledge of what's going to happen to Cap once he's thrust into Tony's hosed-up future.

All I've seen of it so far is the war bond scene, which was wonderful. The deliberately inept sound mixing was such a beautiful touch

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Red posted:

This literally happened in Iron Man 2, which again was much more committee designed.

quote:

I feel like a bunch of executives sat at a table, having lunch, and someone said, "What if we took Tony... out of the suit?", and immediately got pats on the back and a promotion to studio head.

If you think this scenario is at all realistic and that the immediate response wouldn't have been "but...toys" with a comical cut to the suggestion guy walking out of his office with a box of his belongings with the one small desk plant sadly drooping over the side, I have no idea what to tell you.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Jenny Angel posted:

Ah, so like, CinemaSins

Doesn't make the criticisms any less valid.

feedmyleg posted:

I think you could give these 13 films to any forum member and you'd get a completely different list. These movies aren't objectively better or worse than each other, certain ones just hit certain notes for some and not others. I have my reasons for liking each over the next, but none of them are truly objectively bad - a bunch of them just don't work very well for me personally. Mine are something along the lines of:

13. The Avengers
12. Ant-Man
11. Avengers: Age of Ultron
10. Thor
9. The Incredible Hulk
8. Iron Man II
7. Thor: The Dark World
6. Iron Man
5. Iron Man III
4. Captain America: Civil War (tentative)
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Captain America: The First Avenger

For example, Iron Man II has tons of issues as a film. But personally I'd rather watch it over Thor, a much less problematic film, any day of the week.

I bolded the sentence I agree with. :)

Thor is an interesting film that has some neat stuff, but Natalie Portman's presence just kills so much of it for me. The second Thor is much, much better, helped by less Portman - but elevated by the focus on the Loki and Thor relationship. I've really come to love Thor: TDW, even if most folks are 'meh' about it. The problem is that Malekith is interesting, but takes a back seat to Loki, and there's not a lot of tension with his goals.

Iron Man 2, with a few changes, could have been a great film, which would've led to 3 being better. Tony Stark is really defined by his adversary - the first one worked so well because it's his past. The second one is... a meth-head Russian with a death wish? The third one is a shunned nerd who got ripped.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

Guardians is easily the best, what the hell.

:agreed:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Clearly the correct order having not seen Civil War yet is Winter Soldier, Iron Man 1/ Deadpool, Uhh..., Maybe Ant-Man?, Hrrmmm.

Guardians is schlock that looks pretty, Thor sucks, Captain America 1 is pretty okay, actually, it's somewhere after Ironman/Deadpool tie.

Avengers and Avengers:Ultron are the Worst Offenders.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

This literally happened in Iron Man 2, which again was much more committee designed.

That's true, actually - I'm remembering Rhodes hanging from the ceiling while Killian tried to burn through his armor.

Guy A. Person posted:

If you think this scenario is at all realistic and that the immediate response wouldn't have been "but...toys" with a comical cut to the suggestion guy walking out of his office with a box of his belongings with the one small desk plant sadly drooping over the side, I have no idea what to tell you.

Hold on, hold on - your wonderful attempts at imagery and humor won't distract me. :) I don't think screen time necessarily dictates toys and licensing decisions, though.

Maybe Iron Man 3 bugs me so much because the film centers around Tony trying to either use lovely armor, being stuck with a broken suit, or just rejecting the need for the suit at the end.

Does Pepper get treated to remove the Extremis as well? Wrapping everything up at the end with surgery just seems so lazy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Drifter posted:

Guardians is schlock that looks pretty, Thor sucks, Captain America 1 is pretty okay, actually, it's somewhere after Ironman/Deadpool tie.

Guardians of the Galaxy is schlock on the surface, with interesting themes and subtext. Thor is great as soon as you realize it's a tragedy with Loki as the hero.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Phylodox posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy is schlock on the surface, with interesting themes and subtext. Thor is great as soon as you realize it's a tragedy with Loki as the hero.

To me the "correct" ranking would be:

12. Incredible Hulk
11. Iron Man 2
10. The Avengers
9. Avengers: Age of Ultron
8. Ant-Man
7. Iron Man
6. Thor: The Dark World
5. Thor
4. Captain America: The First Avenger
3. Iron Man 3
2. Tie between Captain America: Winter Soldier/Captain America: Civil War

Still to me 9~12 are the only ones I thought straight up sucked.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 11, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Red posted:

No, I just really love Shane Black. I also really love James Gunn. But I think overall, Iron Man 3 is the best for me, if only for the extra dose of character development from the previous movies.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

my pointless ranking:

12. Thor 2
11. Thor 1
10. The Avengers
9. The Avengers 2
8. Iron Man 2
7. Iron Man 3
6. The Incredible Hulk
5. Ant-Man
4. Captain America
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Iron Man
1. Captain America 2

and really the top 3 are all you need, although 4-6 aren't bad.

• Locked thread