Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
I think solar is a good bet-because it relies on a reliable giant fusion reactor which for which we don't need to spend a single buck for maintenance.
Now the problem with electricity is that there is no good way to store it.
Now I read about a process wherein an electric train on an inclined track hauled a shitload of concrete blocks up the mountain in order to store the energy by simply storing It's potential energy against gravity.

It's so loving simple.
Its simpler than pumping water back up high and running it back through the turbine.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
What percentage is lost to friction in moving concrete blocks up/down a mountain? Or is that minimal compared to the other losses?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Also: Are they only using the storage to buffer lows during the day or is that overnight storage? I mean, you have to use energy not being committed to the grid to get it back up the hill....

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

Quandary posted:

What percentage is lost to friction in moving concrete blocks up/down a mountain? Or is that minimal compared to the other losses?

Rails are pretty efficient as long as there is little vertical motion.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Also: Are they only using the storage to buffer lows during the day or is that overnight storage? I mean, you have to use energy not being committed to the grid to get it back up the hill....

I would guess it's for peaking. Move them up during the night when demand is low, then bring them back down when immediate capacity is needed.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

Quandary posted:

Rails are very efficient for leveling moving loads, roughly 100/ 1.
that is, a locomotive with a piston thrust of a ton at the piston radius radius can shift a train with remarkable speed.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

zimboe posted:

Rails are pretty efficient as long as there is little vertical motion.

The problem is geography. It's best to do this in wide-open, non-arable land with little environmental impact.

This shares synergy with solar/wind power. It does not share synergy with population density. It is impractical to do this near, say, the eastern seaboard.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

I would guess it's for peaking. Move them up during the night when demand is low, then bring them back down when immediate capacity is needed.

That's the long term plan, right now it's just going to offer power conditioning services, helping Cal ISO smooth out reactive power and other fluctuations on the grid.

Ramp up is slower than batteries/capacitors but much faster than a gas plant.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Quandary posted:

It says in the article that they have... 86% efficiency if I recall? It's in the 80% range, which seems REALLY good.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boten Anna posted:

It says in the article that they have... 86% efficiency if I recall? It's in the 80% range, which seems REALLY good.

That is very good efficiency, but the next question is power density. People like hydrocarbons because even though you only get ~30% efficiency, it's a lot of energy.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

That is very good efficiency, but the next question is power density. People like hydrocarbons because even though you only get ~30% efficiency, it's a lot of energy.

Yeah they want to do research into steeper inclines which would allow them to use less land and site further east. There will be a lot of useless coal mine sidings in WV soon, that would be a great place to reuse some rail. But even the current style could be really useful for the west.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Pander posted:

The problem is geography. It's best to do this in wide-open, non-arable land with little environmental impact.

This shares synergy with solar/wind power. It does not share synergy with population density. It is impractical to do this near, say, the eastern seaboard.

The way it reads they don't nessisarily need a stait incline. There are plenty of places where you could fit in a smaller, slightly meandering (and likely a little less efficient) few miles of track on the east coast. Even offsetting 50MWh on a local scale has a big impact.

As for steeper slopes I can see them getting this working on some extreme inclines. Rather than use electric motors on the cars the assembly would be lifted from the top by steel cables. The steep incline would allow you to pack enough power into a small area to make up for very short term surges. Say, 1MWh per rail but setup to allow for a 3MW discharge rate. Granted that much concrete falling all the way in 20 minutes would be a pretty dangerous sight. Around 15, 50 tonne cars lifted 500 meters will give you that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

The way it reads they don't nessisarily need a stait incline. There are plenty of places where you could fit in a smaller, slightly meandering (and likely a little less efficient) few miles of track on the east coast. Even offsetting 50MWh on a local scale has a big impact.

As for steeper slopes I can see them getting this working on some extreme inclines. Rather than use electric motors on the cars the assembly would be lifted from the top by steel cables. The steep incline would allow you to pack enough power into a small area to make up for very short term surges. Say, 1MWh per rail but setup to allow for a 3MW discharge rate. Granted that much concrete falling all the way in 20 minutes would be a pretty dangerous sight. Around 15, 50 tonne cars lifted 500 meters will give you that.

There is a rock quarry that uses a downhill rock conveyer to generate some small amount of power they use onsite. I think it was probably cheaper to use the energy for power than use energy to slow down the rocks.

However, rail generally has very limited incline tolerance. Someone start the funicular equivalent quick!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Trabisnikof posted:

However, rail generally has very limited incline tolerance. Someone start the funicular equivalent quick!

As far as I understood it the incline tolerance wasn't so much the load bearing but the difficulty getting good traction for power transmission. On an inclined winch the cables do all the power transmission and the rails are there as guides and supports for the load cars. Maybe I need to poll a pro from the train thread though?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

All the more reason to start saving up for a space elevator.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
The European Union is making noises about throwing some support behind nuclear generally and possibly SMRs specifically. Scared German politicians are throwing a fit over the fact that the German government hasn't started throwing a fit yet, and pointing out that nuclear power plants that aren't getting replaced in part because of scare politics are falling apart without a hint of self-awareness.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Researchers create a module that converts 34.5% of received solar energy to electricity.

quote:

Researchers at the University of NSW have utilised the light-trapping effects of a simple prism to dramatically boost the efficiency of solar cells.
Martin Green and Mark Keevers said the device they have built has set a world record for sunlight-to-electricity efficiency using "unfocused light" – the sort of sun that hits our roofs.

The UNSW team said its mini-module converts 34.5 per cent of received solar energy into electricity. The result, confirmed by the US National Renewable Energy Laboratory, has eclipsed the 24 per cent efficiency achieved by an 800-square-centimetre commercial module made by Alta Devices in the US. The UNSW module is 28 square centimetres.
Advertisement

Typical efficiency for commercially available solar panels is 14 to 22 per cent.
Other solar cells have obtained higher efficiencies from unfocused sunlight, but these results were achieved before being placed into prototypes or modules that could be scaled up for commercial use.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/unsw-researchers-break-solar-efficiency-record-for-unfocused-sunlight-20160517-gowsgx.html

Solar keeps on getting better. This is still a long way from market, but its encouraging.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Frogmanv2 posted:

Researchers create a module that converts 34.5% of received solar energy to electricity.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/unsw-researchers-break-solar-efficiency-record-for-unfocused-sunlight-20160517-gowsgx.html

Solar keeps on getting better. This is still a long way from market, but its encouraging.

We've had 40% efficient solar cells for a while now. They are expensive as gently caress.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

We've :airquote: had :airquote: ultra premium solar for a long time. poo poo that is earmarked for space or research probably has no place here, though.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

CommieGIR posted:

We've had 40% efficient solar cells for a while now. They are expensive as gently caress.

The 40% number (actually, it is probably higher than that now) is for concentrated sunlight. This team achieved 35% with unconcentrated sunlight. There are a lot of good things about unconcentrated solar cells which make them more interesting for many solar energy applications than concentrated solar cells.

For one, unconcentrated cells are actually able to convert diffuse sunlight in the sky (this is 30% of the sunlight in the sky in the Bay Area in California) into electricity. Concentrators cannot. Concentrator cells at high concentration also require cooling systems, tracking systems, and can be safety hazards--think about how you can use a magnifying glass to fry ants! The good thing about solar energy is how low-maintenance and low hassle it is, and concentrators take some of that advantage away.

Potato Salad posted:

We've :airquote: had :airquote: ultra premium solar for a long time. poo poo that is earmarked for space or research probably has no place here, though.

The III-V semi-conductor solar cells often used in concentrator solar systems are expensive, yes, and aren't sold to normal consumers, but I see no reason why they necessarily have to be. If someone here can argue why they necessarily have to be expensive, I'd be pretty interested in hearing their argument.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 18, 2016

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

silence_kit posted:

The 40% number (actually, it is probably higher than that now) is for concentrated sunlight. This team achieved 35% with unconcentrated sunlight. There are a lot of good things about unconcentrated solar cells which make them more interesting for many solar energy applications than concentrated solar cells.
Not really understanding here, why would a PVC's efficiency be a function of light intensity

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Not really understanding here, why would a PVC's efficiency be a function of light intensity

At a guess? They probably don't have a linear response to light intensity.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Kalman posted:

At a guess? They probably don't have a linear response to light intensity.
That just seems weird to me from what I know about light and the photovoltaic effect, but I guess I'm not a solarcellomatologist :shrug:

Like, does the efficiency increase because the efficiency increases at higher temperatures, and higher light intensity tends to raise temperature? I guess that makes sense.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

That just seems weird to me from what I know about light and the photovoltaic effect, but I guess I'm not a solarcellomatologist :shrug:

Like, does the efficiency increase because the efficiency increases at higher temperatures, and higher light intensity tends to raise temperature? I guess that makes sense.

Under constant non-time varying illumination, solar cells produce constant electrical power. The formula for constant electrical power is Power = Voltage x Current. So solar cells need to generate both a voltage and a current to be able to generate electrical power.

The exact shape of the solar cell current-voltage relationship under different solar illumination intensities is complicated and I won't get into all of the details, but it pretty much can be summarized as the following statements.

When a good solar cell is properly loaded in the power generation circuit:

1) Current generated is roughly proportional to absorbed sunlight intensity.

Solar cell scientists understand this part very well and within the fundamental limitations of the popular solar cell schemes, good solar cells (those with >20% efficiency) do about as well as they possibly could in this aspect. Photons in -> electrons out is done at very close to 100% efficiency in good cells.

Current is easy. Voltage is harder. Actually, even a lot of solar cell scientists do not understand the voltage very well.

2) Voltage generated is roughly proportional to the logarithm of absorbed sunlight intensity, at least until you get to really really high solar intensities.

Upon solar illumination, excited-state photo-generated electrons accumulate in the solar cell. The reason why the voltage increases when illumination intensity increases is because at higher solar intensities, the electron concentration increases, the excited state electrons occupy higher energy levels in the semi-conductor, and so the electrons can be extracted from the solar cell at higher voltages.

The output voltage of the solar cell is the part of the solar cell that needs to be improved upon for current solar cells to achieve their theoretical efficiencies. The way to improve the voltage is to carefully study the various mechanisms in the cell by which photo-generated electrons are converted directly to waste heat in the cell and engineer those mechanisms out.

TL;DR: Since Power = Voltage x Current, and Voltage is proportional to the logarithm of solar intensity and Current is proportional to solar intensity, the efficiency ( = Power/(Solar Intensity x Cell Area)) increases with the logarithm of solar intensity, and efficiency increases under solar concentration.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 19, 2016

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

PV efficiency goes down as temperature goes up. Concentrated Photovoltaic (CPV) uses dual-axis trackers using lenses to concentrate direct sunlight onto a multi-junction cell, usually at a few hundred times normal solar intensity, then use heat sinks to keep the cell cool. Diffuse light can't be concentrated as light coming from many different directions can't be concentrated well with lenses. This new cell is a multi-junction cell with a prism attached at front to capture and somewhat concentrate diffuse light. The prism prevents it from needing a tracker as there are many directions light can enter a prism from and be directed to another face. As a result it doesn't need tracking or cooling.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/05/heat-from-misaligned-mirrors-at-solar-thermal-plant-causes-electrical-fire/

ivanpah is done, csp is done

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sim City 2000 predicted this!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Eh, let's see how Cresent Dunes goes before declaring csp dead. Startup energy costs in the morning have been a big part of what really doomed Ivanpah. Overnight energy storage is a big difference in the design at Cresent Dunes.

Edit: looks like China just signed a deal to build 1GW of CSP with the same company that build Cresent Dunes: http://cleantechnica.com/2016/05/17/shenhua-solarreserve-1-gw-solar-thermal/

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 22, 2016

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

silence_kit posted:

TL;DR: Since Power = Voltage x Current, and Voltage is proportional to the logarithm of solar intensity and Current is proportional to solar intensity, the efficiency ( = Power/(Solar Intensity x Cell Area)) increases with the logarithm of solar intensity, and efficiency increases under solar concentration.

Ouch, my brain. Voc is essentially governed by the band gap of the solar cell material. A bandgap of 1.1 eV is going to get you (less than) 1.1 V of potential, mostly from the problems of recombination and the like that come with a doped semiconductor.

I'm sure you can get a huge logjam of excited states in an unconnected solar cell device until the rate of recombination balances out with the rate of generation of electron-hole pairs saturating the conduction band of the material, but, uhhh, then you don't have it doing anything and nobody gives a poo poo.

Voltage from a solar cell depends on the band gap, like so:

Though the practical voltage you get will always be lower than the ideal.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Even if power tower csp were done, parabolic trough csp is still around.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fermun posted:

Even if power tower csp were done, parabolic trough csp is still around.

I like to pretend all trough csp anywhere is part of the SEGS

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
America's achieving great strides in transitioning to renewable energy.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2016/05/16/3778542/grid-70-times-renewables-natural-gas/

quote:

Renewables Are Leaving Natural Gas In The Dust This Year

by Joe Romm May 16, 2016 4:09 pm

In the first three months of 2016, the U.S. grid added 18 megawatts of new natural gas generating capacity. It added a whopping 1,291 megawatts (MW) of new renewables.

The renewables were primarily wind (707 MW) and solar (522 MW). We also added some biomass (33 MW) and hydropower (29 MW). The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission’s (FERC) latest monthly “Energy Infrastructure Update” reports that no new capacity of coal, oil, or nuclear power were added in the first quarter of the year.

So the U.S. electric grid added more than 70 times as much renewable energy capacity as natural gas capacity from January to March.

Europe's doing even better. This is great geopolitical news for the west and terrible for Russia and its petrostate economy. The Russians won't be able to blackmail Western Europe by threatening to shut off the pipes anymore.
http://cleantechnica.com/2016/05/16/renewable-electricity-replaces-natural-gas-europe/

quote:

Renewable Electricity Replaces Natural Gas In Europe

May 16th, 2016 by Guest Contributor

Originally published on Renewables International.
By Craig Morris

In April, Germany’s Öko-Institut reviewed the situation in Europe’s power sector and found that, as renewable electricity grows, coal power largely remains untouched. Electricity from natural gas is being offset.

Renewable electricity is up by more than a third within the EU from 2010 to 2015, having risen by 244 TWh. In return, the coal power has remained relatively stable since 2010 at 300 TWh (lignite) and 500 TWh (hard coal). But electricity from natural gas is down by 283 TWh in those years.

Essentially, Europe has transitioned from natural gas to renewables.

Portugal smashes records, running the whole country on renewable energy for four straight days. Portugal is a small country, but it still has over 10 million people.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/may/18/portugal-runs-for-four-days-straight-on-renewable-energy-alone

quote:

Portugal runs for four days straight on renewable energy alone

Zero emission milestone reached as country is powered by just wind, solar and hydro-generated electricity for 107 hours

Arthur Neslen

Wednesday 18 May 2016 14.59 BST
Last modified on Friday 20 May 2016 15.20 BST

Portugal kept its lights on with renewable energy alone for four consecutive days last week in a clean energy milestone revealed by data analysis of national energy network figures.

Electricity consumption in the country was fully covered by solar, wind and hydro power in an extraordinary 107-hour run that lasted from 6.45am on Saturday 7 May until 5.45pm the following Wednesday, the analysis says.

News of the zero emissions landmark comes just days after Germany announced that clean energy had powered almost all its electricity needs on Sunday 15 May, with power prices turning negative at several times in the day – effectively paying consumers to use it.

Oliver Joy, a spokesman for the Wind Europe trade association said: “We are seeing trends like this spread across Europe - last year with Denmark and now in Portugal. The Iberian peninsula is a great resource for renewables and wind energy, not just for the region but for the whole of Europe.”

James Watson, the CEO of SolarPower Europe said: “This is a significant achievement for a European country, but what seems extraordinary today will be commonplace in Europe in just a few years. The energy transition process is gathering momentum and records such as this will continue to be set and broken across Europe.”

Last year, wind provided 22% of electricity and all renewable sources together provided 48%, according to the Portuguese renewable energy association.

While Portugal’s clean energy surge has been spurred by the EU’s renewable targets for 2020, support schemes for new wind capacity were reduced in 2012.

Despite this, Portugal added 550MW of wind capacity between 2013 and 2016, and industry groups now have their sights firmly set on the green energy’s export potential, within Europe and without.

“An increased build-out of interconnectors, a reformed electricity market and political will are all essential,” Joy said. “But with the right policies in place, wind could meet a quarter of Europe’s power needs in the next 15 years.”

In 2015, wind power alone met 42% of electricity demand in Denmark, 20% in Spain, 13% in Germany and 11% in the UK.

In a move hailed as a “historic turning point” by clean energy supporters, UK citizens last week enjoyed their first ever week of coal-free electricity generation.

Watson said: “The age of inflexible and polluting technologies is drawing to an end and power will increasingly be provided from clean, renewable sources.”

• This article was amended on 19 May 2016. An earlier version said that in 2013 Portugal generated 27% of its electricity from nuclear, 13% from hydro, 7.5% from wind and 3% from solar, according to Eurostat figures. In fact those figures are for the whole of the EU; Portugal does not have any nuclear power plants.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

This is the most notable one. To what extent did they overproduce and dump into the Spanish grid at low prices though?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Holy poo poo! Go, Portugal!

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Claverjoe, you are quoting me out of context. I was explaining to someone why solar cell efficiency can increase under solar concentration. You pointing out that the solar cell open-circuit voltage often tends to go with the semi-conductor energy gap is neither here nor there.

The voltage doesn't have to go with energy gap though. Plenty of people have made junk solar cells with high energy gap semi-conductors which have had worse open-circuit voltages than silicon.

quote:

I'm sure you can get a huge logjam of excited states in an unconnected solar cell device until the rate of recombination balances out with the rate of generation of electron-hole pairs saturating the conduction band of the material, but, uhhh, then you don't have it doing anything and nobody gives a poo poo.

Under solar concentration, the photo-generated electron and hole concentration in the cell should be higher than when under 1 sun, and so the quasi-Fermi level splitting (this is Voltage) should be greater than when under 1 sun. This is certainly true at open circuit but it is also true when the cell is at its operating point. This is why the voltage of a solar cell often increases and so the efficiency often increases under solar concentration.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 23, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't that intended behaviour of the orbital death satellite that ISPP is funneling power to?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't that intended behaviour of the orbital death satellite that ISPP is funneling power to?

It's what would happen if one of those fantasy orbiting solar power satellites were to become misaligned with their microwave base station.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

And why we should just stick with coal until 2050 when we get fusion.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was making a fallout joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The rest of us are old enough to be making Sim City 2000 jokes. :colbert: