Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Best Comic Book Movies, by shoes:

1. Amazing Spiderman
2. Dark Knight Rises
3. Xmen First Class
4. Sucker Punch
5. Batman v Superman

I like the Hulk movies but Hulk doesn't even wear shoes, so it's kind of bull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Jenny Angel posted:

Nah Iron Man 3 is the best MCU film and took the most risks out of them. Or maybe it's The First Avenger? I still ain't seen that one, and I have a feeling I'll like it when I finally get around to it

First Avenger is real.... sincere? The MCU gets a lot of flak for being flippant, and that's not really present in TFA.

Marvel top 3:
3. The First Avenger
2. Winter Soldier
1. Guardians

I have no strong feelings on the ranking of the rest, other than to say Ultron is... whatever the last number is. 16?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

12. Thor 2
11. Thor 1
10. The Avengers
9. The Avengers 2
8. Iron Man 2
7. Iron Man 3
6. The Incredible Hulk
5. Ant-Man
4. Captain America
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Iron Man
1. Captain America 2

I'm surprised that I agree with you completely. Just slot in Civil War at 7.5.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Here's the real list you pleebs:

1. The first half of Iron Man 1
2. Captain America 1
3. Civil War (maybe?)
{ 4.Guardians
5. Winter Soldier
6. Ant-Man
7. Iron Man 3 } <- this area is constantly shifting, they're all above average movies but not "great"
------- bad movie cut off -------
8. Avengers (this one rides the line and occasionally inches into good territory but after just watching CW which blows it out of the water I'm down on it again)
9. Hulk
10. Second half of Iron Man 1
(leaving a gap here since other movies will definitely be slotted above this)
19. Iron Man 2
20. Avengers Age of Ultron

Movies I haven't bothered to watch:
Thor 1 and 2

Red posted:

Hold on, hold on - your wonderful attempts at imagery and humor won't distract me. :) I don't think screen time necessarily dictates toys and licensing decisions, though.

Maybe Iron Man 3 bugs me so much because the film centers around Tony trying to either use lovely armor, being stuck with a broken suit, or just rejecting the need for the suit at the end.

Does Pepper get treated to remove the Extremis as well? Wrapping everything up at the end with surgery just seems so lazy.

I don't disagree with a bunch of this, but the "designed by committee" just seems like a really specific critique which I don't think applies here. I mostly just keep comparing it in my head to IM2 which has a bunch of tell-tale signs of design by committee and studio interference (big shoehorned in B-plot with Avengers Initiative and Black Widow, the moral ambiguity of the good guy and the sympathetic side of the bad guy stripped out in editing, good guy's plot sickness cured by the power of hope or something, Tony getting the girl at the end despite being a lecherous shitheel, a pissed off director, etc) Some of Iron Man 3's issues might have come from studio mandates but it's also clear there were a lot of "safter" routes they could go with armor clad action beats every 20 minutes and a more fan pleasing version of the main villain among other things.

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 11, 2016

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Slugworth posted:

First Avenger is real.... sincere?

This is incredibly apt.

One little bit in the first Cap that sticks out for me is when Bucky goes, "Let's hear it for Captain America!", and everybody cheers.

Evans plays the scene by barely reacting at all - because he doesn't know how to react. He kind of looks around the crowd, and returns his gaze to Peggy as the rescued soldiers pat him on the back. He just wanted to do the right thing. That scene just seems to speak volumes about how much Evans/Johnston just *got* the character.

Sincere is the right description. I love this loving movie.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm surprised that Civil War isn't number 1 on any of these lists. It's definitely my #1. I've seen it twice now and I don't have any serious issues with any part of the movie. I guess Zimo isn't a very charismatic villain? I wish Hugo Weaving would just be every villain in every movie.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I may be alone in this, but i seriously think that Dark World is one of the best Marvel movies. The only complaint i hear is that the villain is weak, but you can say the same about Iron Man 1.

13. Iron Man II
12. Iron Man I
11. Iron Man III
10. Guardians of the Galaxy
9. Captain America: The First Avenger
8. Thor
7. The Incredible Hulk
6. Avengers: Age of Ultron
5. Ant-Man
4. Thor: The Dark World
3. The Avengers
2. Captain America: Civil War
1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm surprised that Civil War isn't number 1 on any of these lists. It's definitely my #1. I've seen it twice now and I don't have any serious issues with any part of the movie. I guess Zimo isn't a very charismatic villain? I wish Hugo Weaving would just be every villain in every movie.

It may usurp Guardians of the Galaxy eventually, once I've had more time to consider it and watch it again, but I doubt it. Guardians is just so vibrant and (for me, at least) resonant that I think it's safe for now.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
My favorite line from The First Avenger is:

Generic hydra man - "Cut off one head, two more shall rise to take it's place!"

Tommy Lee Jones, after shooting him - "Let's go find two more heads!"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oasx posted:

I may be alone in this, but i seriously think that Dark World is one of the best Marvel movies. The only complaint i hear is that the villain is weak, but you can say the same about Iron Man 1.

The Dark World didn't work because it was about an hour too long, had no interesting themes, the plot was muddled, the villain's motivation unclear, the dialogue was sub-par, and the editing completely out of whack.

It plays like how it was made, with no central vision and swamped by a miasma of behind the scene infighting. Saying that, there are cool things about it: the expanded art direction, Rene Russo with a sword, the attempt at grandiose story-telling, and Loki. There wasn't enough focus on Thor though.

My top three Marvel movies, Civil War, Winter Soldier, and the Guardians of the Galaxy, all had a singular voice and vision, were made by seasoned and confident pros, and knew what exactly what they wanted to say.

My soft spots, movies that are really fun to watch but have some defiencies, First Avenger, Thor (Branagh did a really great job), and Iron Man (the most competent of the three), skate by, again, due to assured directors behind the scene, along with a lot of sincerety and a committment to not shirk from the amazing craziness of comic book bullshit.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
We loving doing rankings I'm always here for some motherfucking lists.

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Captain America: Winter Solider
3. Captain America: Civil War
4. Ant-Man
5. Iron-Man III
6. Iron-Man
7. Avengers
8. Captain America: The First Avenger(Man that third act is so bad otherwise this would easily be higher)
9. Thor: The Dark World
10. Avengers: Age of Ultron
11. Thor
12. Incredible Hulk
13. Iron-man II

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shageletic posted:

The Dark World didn't work because it was about an hour too long, had no interesting themes, the plot was muddled, the villain's motivation unclear, the dialogue was sub-par, and the editing completely out of whack.

I've said it before, but The Dark World's greatest sin is casting an actor on the level of Christopher Eccleston and then having 95 percent of his dialogue be gibberish.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The only lists I trust put Iron Man 2 smack in the middle because it is the template for every subsequent film other than Captain America 1.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
My top 3 Marvel movies.

1: Blade
2: Blade 2
3: Gonna put Blade on here again

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

1. Iron Man Three
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Civil War
4. Captain America: The First Avenger
5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
6. Iron Man
7. The Avengers
8. Ant-Man
9. The Incredible Hulk ( I like this movie a lot for some reason)
10. Thor
11. Iron Man 2
12. Age of Ultron
13 Thor 2.

HUNDU won't trust my list after all!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

1. Iron Man Three

Hell yeah buddy. I'm sorry I plunged a knife into the beating heart of Dredd over and over while shouting "chaos reigns"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Branagh's decision to start Thor out as the God of Ethnic Cleansing is a great one but no part of the movie lives up to it, including the parts that are about it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jenny Angel posted:

Hell yeah buddy. I'm sorry I plunged a knife into the beating heart of Dredd over and over while shouting "chaos reigns"
:respek:

Poor Dredd barely recovered from it tho...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

1. Iron Man Three
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Civil War
4. Captain America: The First Avenger
5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
6. Iron Man
7. The Avengers
8. Ant-Man
9. The Incredible Hulk ( I like this movie a lot for some reason)
10. Thor
11. Iron Man 2
12. Age of Ultron
13 Thor 2.

HUNDU won't trust my list after all!

I do not trust it but the top movie is the right one.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I wanted to like Iron Man 3 more than I ultimately do. Shane Black and RDJ obviously work well together, but I don't think the action really holds up all that well.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Where does Howard the Duck fall on everyone's list?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sir Kodiak posted:

I wanted to like Iron Man 3 more than I ultimately do. Shane Black and RDJ obviously work well together, but I don't think the action really holds up all that well.

I haven't seen it but I kind of think Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is obnoxious and so I'm not hyper enthused? But then I also kind like KKBB so I am? I dunno how good is good?

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
12. Thor 1
11. Thor 2
10. The Avengers - It doesn't really hold up to a rewatch I've found. The novelty was great at the time. Cap's suit was not.
9. Iron Man 2
8. Age of Ultron
7. Ant-man
6. The Incredible Hulk - Underated. I really like this film. It actually has one of the best MCU villains since a) he actually has motivation and an arc (even if that arc is basically 'I want to beat up hulk, so level me up like a loving pokemon) and b) he didn't die
5. Iron man
4. Iron Man 3
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Winter Soldier
1. Captain America: The First Avenger. I'm going to paraphrase what someone said on a Kevin Smith podcast, because it's spot on. They had a clean cut, boy scout, goody two shoes hero and played him completely straight with no irony or winking, and they made it work. DC should watch this film and take some notes.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I haven't seen it but I kind of think Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is obnoxious and so I'm not hyper enthused? But then I also kind like KKBB so I am? I dunno how good is good?

Replacing Michelle Monaghan and Val Kilmer with Gwyneth Paltrow and Don Cheadle doesn't help with the comparison to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

They had a clean cut, boy scout, goody two shoes hero and played him completely straight with no irony or winking, and they made it work. DC should watch this film and take some notes.

What irony or winking did we get with the current run of DC movies?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I do not trust it but the top movie is the right one.

Fair enough.

Iron Man Three is a pretty cool looking movie actually. It doesn't have that grey, digital look the other Marvel films have. It's filed with highly contrasted blues, and the multicolored lights of Christmas. Not to mention the Extremis' orange glowing all over the movie.

Even when Stark goes to Miami, everything is warm and bright rather than grey and flat.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
1. Captain America
2. Iron Man 3
3. Captain America Civil War (Best Avengers movie)
4. Captain America Winter Soldier
5. Guardians of the Galaxy
6. Ant Man
7. Iron Man
8. Thor

Ang Lee's Hulk, MOS, BvS, The Dark Knight, X Men DoFP, Deadpool are all top tier. Nic Cage as GS was such wasted potential. Blade 1 and 2 also are top tier

Gatts fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 11, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

my minority opinion is that Shane Black notwithstanding, Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3 are basically interchangeable.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Thor 2 / Iron Man 2 are universally the worst MCU films.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Winter Soldier, Iron Man, First Avenger, Iron Man 3 are all really good.

Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy and 2/3rds of The Incredible Hulk are good and fun.

The rest are garbage.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sir Kodiak posted:

What irony or winking did we get with the current run of DC movies?

That's not what he meant. He was saying you can film boy scout, all american apple pie heroes (like Captain America and Superman) and still have it come out well.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Captain America: The First Avenger. I'm going to paraphrase what someone said on a Kevin Smith podcast, because it's spot on. They had a clean cut, boy scout, goody two shoes hero and played him completely straight with no irony or winking, and they made it work.

Heck yeah! I wouldn't put the First Avenger as number 1 on my list, but the first act of the movie is fantastic for this very reason. I bought Chris Evans as a hero before he even got the treatment.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

BiggerBoat posted:

That's not what he meant. He was saying you can film boy scout, all american apple pie heroes (like Captain America and Superman) and still have it come out well.

Exactly. They weren't embarrassed by who Captain America was and let him be Captain America. Steve Rogers is, by some distance, my favourite character in superhero movies for this reason.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Iron Man 3 just gave me a cornball quip overdose and it didn't really feel like anyone was acting outside of Guy Pierce but I guess it probably wasn't the type of movie for me anyway. Definitely down for The Nice Guys though

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Dexo posted:

We loving doing rankings I'm always here for some motherfucking lists.

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Captain America: Winter Solider
3. Captain America: Civil War
4. Ant-Man
5. Iron-Man III
6. Iron-Man
7. Avengers
8. Captain America: The First Avenger(Man that third act is so bad otherwise this would easily be higher)
9. Thor: The Dark World
10. Avengers: Age of Ultron
11. Thor
12. Incredible Hulk
13. Iron-man II

This is my list except I'd slide Guardians down below Cap 1 and slide Iron Man 2 up above Thor 2. Maybe I'd switch Avengers and Cap 1.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Harlock posted:

Thor 2 / Iron Man 2 are universally the worst MCU films.

I thought Thor 2 was just forgettable, like I can't remember anything outstanding about it while with Iron Man 2 they had the racetrack fight (which felt like a superhero scene) and it got better now that the MCU is established. It was frustrating watching Iron Man 2 when we knew sweet gently caress-all about Marvel's plans and the film didn't really help matters.

I'd swap Iron Man 2 with Iron Man 3 because the latter had that stupid Mandarin twist (yes, I'm going back there again) which I can never like.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Exactly. They weren't embarrassed by who Captain America was and let him be Captain America. Steve Rogers is, by some distance, my favourite character in superhero movies for this reason.

MoS/BvS Superman is about as American as it gets.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

MoS/BvS Superman is about as American as it gets.

would you say they're going to Make America Great Again?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Someone already said it but Iron Man 2 has individual scenes and performances that make up for a lot of its script problems and help it stand out next to some of the blander Marvel movies.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

would you say they're going to Make America Great Again?

No, because America is already great :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

Someone already said it but Iron Man 2 has individual scenes and performances that make up for a lot of its script problems and help it stand out next to some of the blander Marvel movies.

yeah it's a shoddy mess but Sam Rockwell and the Garry Shandling cameo and Tony Stark freaking out whenever people try to hand him things are pretty dope.

Sir Kodiak posted:

No, because America is already great :patriot:

[citation needed]

• Locked thread