Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Subjunctive posted:

It also prevents fan death.

:chanpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Fan death is a Korean thing, not Chinese, Thai, or Malaysian. :colbert:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

necrobobsledder posted:

Fan death is a Korean thing, not Chinese, Thai, or Malaysian. :colbert:

:bravo:

Shut up

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Nope! However it does not matter very much with the i7-4790k anyway, it has a base speed of 4GHz and a boost clock of 4.4GHz, if you OC it you will get 4.6GHz, maybe 4.7, so you are only losing 200-300MHz or so. There also is an option you can set in BIOS that will make it boost equally on each core so it will hit 4.4 on all cores under full load, just make sure you have some good cooling since it's a hot chip.

"But but I really like spending dumb money for a +200MHz pointless OC, stock clocks makes my PC feels slowzzz"

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I cannot say I have ever seen a production VCD ever here in the states. It was VHS->DVD->HD-DVD (Briefly) + BluRay.

I thought VCD was more of a home video burned sorta thing, and I also completely missed the Laserdisk tech as well. First time I physically got to see one was at a flea market. :(

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

EdEddnEddy posted:

I cannot say I have ever seen a production VCD ever here in the states. It was VHS->DVD->HD-DVD (Briefly) + BluRay.

I thought VCD was more of a home video burned sorta thing, and I also completely missed the Laserdisk tech as well. First time I physically got to see one was at a flea market. :(

Very briefly in the 90's, some game consoles and CD systems like the CDi and 3D0 had options for MPEG hardware add-on modules. There was a limited selection of VCD titles for sale. I think I saw Dances With Wolfs for sale.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 11, 2016

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Lowen SoDium posted:

Very briefly in the 90's, some game consoles and CD systems like the CDi and 3D0 had options for MPEG hardware add-on modules. There was a limited selection of VCD titles for sale. I think I saw Dances With Wolfs for sale.

It was really big overseas and in piracy in the early 200s, where if you had a lovely SD-TV and s-video out you could get a 2-disk copy of whatever the latest movie was, and it was in pretty ok quality. Most of the china-best DVD players of the era could do all the VCD/SVCD formats, in addition to telling macrovision to eat a bag of dicks and being completely region free. A lot of them later had early DivX codec support, where you could run the really early avi versions of the 4CC codec encodes.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The bootleg market for VCDs was huge, I went to China 13 years ago and in some stores they have the legitimate DVDs/VCDs on the normal displays. Then in cabinets underneath, they had all the bootlegs, which were obviously much cheaper. I don't think its very hush hush over there.

FYI Most DVD players could play VCDs.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

VulgarandStupid posted:

The bootleg market for VCDs was huge, I went to China 13 years ago and in some stores they have the legitimate DVDs/VCDs on the normal displays. Then in cabinets underneath, they had all the bootlegs, which were obviously much cheaper. I don't think its very hush hush over there.

FYI Most DVD players could play VCDs.

The DVD logo spec actually specifies that (S)VCD's must be playable. This wasn't well tested, and some models wouldn't play them at all, but it ended up not mattering because the DVD encryption was broken so quickly.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Philips even had a CDI Infomercial with a cabletv repairman hocking vcd's

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

It was really big overseas and in piracy in the early 200s, where if you had a lovely SD-TV and s-video out you could get a 2-disk copy of whatever the latest movie was, and it was in pretty ok quality. Most of the china-best DVD players of the era could do all the VCD/SVCD formats, in addition to telling macrovision to eat a bag of dicks and being completely region free. A lot of them later had early DivX codec support, where you could run the really early avi versions of the 4CC codec encodes.

Ha back in that day the way we would copy VHS rentals was with old 8m tape on a mini tv. Made it handy for portability and such for us kids.

Wonder where that darn tv is at now? Last I remember it still works. Hmm

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

It's Skull Canyon NUC release day! :neckbeard: Mine is on the way!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Maybe it'll actually ship with a bios that doesn't commit suicide like the other Skylake NUCs

https://communities.intel.com/thread/99692?start=0&tstart=0

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Atomizer posted:

Got an email early from Newegg this morning as well, mine is currently "packing".

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I've avoided hackintoshes for a long time but I must say im pretty tempted to try it with one of these puppies.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Mine is also shipped. Can't wait, my ram and drive are sitting in my desk at work.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Outside of idle curiosity of goons what is the use case for Skull Canyon NUC?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

High performance mini PC that may or may not be able to use the Razer external graphics dock.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Boiled Water posted:

People who want to play games at medium settings but think a mITX case is still way too big.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Krailor posted:

People who want to play games at medium settings but think a mITX case is still way too big.

In tyool 2016, it is :colbert:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Krailor posted:

But... That price premium. Anyway, the soon to be crowd sourced Dan Case A4 is an ITX case that supports decent enough CPU cooling, and a full sizzled graphics card is actually smaller than the Razer Core. The NUC does have the beat eDRAM but so does my 5775c ITX system.

Now, to me the Core seems needlessly big, for what it actually is, and the PSU seems like too much for most needs.

I don't think the eDRAM thing will outweigh the benefits lost from using faster desktop RAM, however.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 12, 2016

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

VulgarandStupid posted:

The NUC does have the beat eDRAM but so does my 5775c ITX system.

Close, but the Skylake-R's eDRAM is essentially a full-on L4 cache as opposed to the victim cache the Broadwell-C has.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

For me, it's just a fun computer. Limited free time means I don't get to game as often as I'd like so I don't need a super powerful gaming computer. This has a nice small footprint, will be powerful enough for what I need, and looks cool too. Plus my old computer just died so the timing was right.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's got a skull on it so it's the only choice for super villains.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Close, but the Skylake-R's eDRAM is essentially a full-on L4 cache as opposed to the victim cache the Broadwell-C has.

I don't know what this means.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

VulgarandStupid posted:

I don't know what this means.

Skylake-R was designed to use the eDRAM as eDRAM, while Broadwell-C's eDRAM was originally meant for the iGPU on-board the chip. As such, the B-C's eDRAM isn't ideally suited to be used as an L4 pool, while the S-R's is.

Anandtech explained it better:

"The codename “Crystal Well” refers to the added eDRAM cache, which in previous implementations acted as a victim cache for the L3 cache by adding up evicted cache lines from the L3 for quick re-reading, circumventing the main memory. This was particularly useful for gaming and graphics performance where textures are re-read from the memory frequently. However, the data could not exist in the eDRAM without first being accessed, giving initial read latencies the same performance as previous processors."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 13, 2016

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

the benefits lost from using faster desktop RAM, however.
Is this a normal thing or are you referring to quad vs dual channel setups or something? Just asking cause I don't think I've heard that mentioned when comparing desktops to notebooks.

...plus I figure bigger benefits lost would come down to clock speed and thermal headroom on the CPU, Skull Canyon's is 2.6 w/turbo to 3.5 vs whatever the desktop chips are doing nowadays.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

japtor posted:

Is this a normal thing or are you referring to quad vs dual channel setups or something? Just asking cause I don't think I've heard that mentioned when comparing desktops to notebooks.

...plus I figure bigger benefits lost would come down to clock speed and thermal headroom on the CPU, Skull Canyon's is 2.6 w/turbo to 3.5 vs whatever the desktop chips are doing nowadays.

Skull trail NUC:
Support for DDR4 memory, up to 32GB at 2133+ MHz

Some random mini-ITX Z170 board:
Memory Standard DDR4 3400*(*O.C.)/ 3333*/ 3200*/ 3100*/ 3000*/ 2933*/ 2800*/ 2666*/ 2600*/ 2400*/ 2133

And the appropriate video proving it does make a difference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er_Fuz54U0Y&feature=youtu.be

Oh, yeah, and the clock speeds.

The NUC + Core for primarily gaming is just a really round about way of building a system, at a higher expense for less performance and doesn't really save you any space. Plus lacking storage options and such.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Ah ok, haven't messed with desktops in a while so didn't know the RAM also clocked so much higher.

As for Skull Canyon, if I got it it'd be more as a tiny low to mid range PC that can game decently enough. I wouldn't consider a GPU chassis until later down the line as a big upgrade, although realistically I'd probably be fine with the NUC long enough to just wait for whatever next major NUC bump.

Or use it in a weird portable console type way, like have it alone downstairs hooked up to a TV, but can move it to my desk with 5K display and GPU box when I want to use it there. (...something something use remote play instead)

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

japtor posted:

Ah ok, haven't messed with desktops in a while so didn't know the RAM also clocked so much higher.

As for Skull Canyon, if I got it it'd be more as a tiny low to mid range PC that can game decently enough. I wouldn't consider a GPU chassis until later down the line as a big upgrade, although realistically I'd probably be fine with the NUC long enough to just wait for whatever next major NUC bump.

Or use it in a weird portable console type way, like have it alone downstairs hooked up to a TV, but can move it to my desk with 5K display and GPU box when I want to use it there. (...something something use remote play instead)

I just think it's hard to justify a usage case for it. It has low-middling gpu power, but relatively high processing power. I think most people would be better off with a laptop + Razer Core than the NUC, you get more utility out of that. But realistically I think most people would be better off with a cheaper laptop plus a gaming PC, considering what a Razer core costs.

This NUC is a really cool piece of hardware, but I think a lot of people care more about the skull on the case than the utility of it. It's very expensive as well and limits you to generally more expensive hardware choices, and not very upgrade able.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I think the biggest appeal of the NUC is that it's a gadget, kind of novel size wise, and is just kind of neato.

It definitely is hard to justify, but for the majority of people who don't need TBs of SSD storage, high gaming performance, and just want a clean desk I certainly see the appeal.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

It's a little bit more expensive than buying a case, motherboard and chip but it's not like 650 is bank breaking for what it is. It does limit upgrade options and I think the razor core is more expensive than its worth. Hopefully the idea takes off and drives price down some. I would probably get one if it was 250/300 but not at 500. Ideally someone would come out with a standalone external GPU that connects via thunderbolt3 like some of the booths showing the NUCs off had.

Yes the skull on the case is a factor in my decision to get it. This is a play toy for me, and toys should be fun. But I'm being realistic about my expectations. It's got enough power to do what I need and there are options to upgrade if I 'need' it in the future.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

mmkay posted:

Something I've been wondering for a while - how many Intel employees are on SA?

I don't work for Intel but I'm in the high end server business and I'm under NDA for everything Xeon. So, close?

Related: needed to replace my workstation at work so I retired my 2500k based z97 to that duty and bought a 6700k/z170 with Samsung M.2 in anticipation of GTX1080.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4j15bs/were_the_intel_team_behind_the_new_skull_canyon/

Some Intel dudes went onto Reddit for a Q&A session on Skull Canyon. Because it's Reddit 80% of the comments and questions are "Well, I wouldn't buy this and don't think anyone would, why isn't it $200?"

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

canyoneer posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4j15bs/were_the_intel_team_behind_the_new_skull_canyon/

Some Intel dudes went onto Reddit for a Q&A session on Skull Canyon. Because it's Reddit 80% of the comments and questions are "Well, I wouldn't buy this and don't think anyone would, why isn't it $200?"

Man, Skull Canyon is a super cool product and I'm glad that Intel's actually selling it and not didn't just make a few as an OEM reference design. Extreme power efficiency + L4 cache is where chips could be, but aren't.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

VulgarandStupid posted:

I just think it's hard to justify a usage case for it. It has low-middling gpu power, but relatively high processing power. I think most people would be better off with a laptop + Razer Core than the NUC, you get more utility out of that. But realistically I think most people would be better off with a cheaper laptop plus a gaming PC, considering what a Razer core costs.

This NUC is a really cool piece of hardware, but I think a lot of people care more about the skull on the case than the utility of it. It's very expensive as well and limits you to generally more expensive hardware choices, and not very upgrade able.

Well as you said given that it has more CPU power than GPU power it makes more sense as a tiny but powerful workstation than as a tiny gaming box. That's definitely a niche item but a NUC that costs at least $900 for a full build is always going to be a niche item. I got it because I wanted a full power PC that could sit unobtrusively under my TV, it's less than 1/10 the volume of a small mini ITX computer.

The place I ordered mine from doesn't have tracking so I have no idea if mine shipped yet or not :negative:.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 13, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

As nice as it is that Intel's finally putting eDRAM on chips, wake me up when they start putting HBM2 on die, and those L4 caches are 2-8GB. That would be a 'time to upgrade from my 2500K' feature.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
2-8gb l4 cache cpu or a lamborghini, cant decide.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

2-8gb l4 cache cpu or a lamborghini, cant decide.

At the moment, sure. In 1-3 years, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

In 3 years you will have an i7-9700k running at 4.1ghz and a 15% ipc improvement lol