Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I got Linus's four heart event.

He put his wild-bait in my crab-pot :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamhead80
Apr 15, 2003

It's a Zen thing, like how many babies fit in a tire.
Are all of the spouses just generally useless assholes? I went with Elliott the first time around because he looked like a hilarious Fabio clone and talks like he's living in a Dickens novel, but he just hangs around pretending to write and like once a week watering the plants and feeding the animals (and acting like it's the biggest deal ever). On the second playthrough I married Sebastian's emo rear end and he has spent the first week doing absolutely loving nothing except moping around and even staying in bed for one whole day. He also had the nerve to thank me for making so much money so that he could just sit around and be a jerk all day. Are the women any better, or is it just more of the same all over?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

spamhead80 posted:

Are all of the spouses just generally useless assholes? I went with Elliott the first time around because he looked like a hilarious Fabio clone and talks like he's living in a Dickens novel, but he just hangs around pretending to write and like once a week watering the plants and feeding the animals (and acting like it's the biggest deal ever). On the second playthrough I married Sebastian's emo rear end and he has spent the first week doing absolutely loving nothing except moping around and even staying in bed for one whole day. He also had the nerve to thank me for making so much money so that he could just sit around and be a jerk all day. Are the women any better, or is it just more of the same all over?

I haven't gotten married yet but I think you have to keep romancing them after you're married with gifts and such before they stop lounging around all day eating all your food.

Or they may be like pets/animals and you have to give them head-pats?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Penny is really nice, supportive, still teaches the kids, sometimes makes you breakfast, waters my Iridium watered plants.

spamhead80
Apr 15, 2003

It's a Zen thing, like how many babies fit in a tire.

MrSlam posted:

I haven't gotten married yet but I think you have to keep romancing them after you're married with gifts and such before they stop lounging around all day eating all your food.

Or they may be like pets/animals and you have to give them head-pats?

Yeah, I did that with both of them :(. Maybe Sebastian will get better as I just got him to 13 hearts or whatever, but Elliott continued to be useless for weeks after getting him there. As it seems like Penny is actually useful, maybe it's just the dudes that are freeloaders? Maybe I'll do a playthrough as a dude or something, or just go same sex next time and see what happens. I've also seen posts in here about Leah being some kind of belligerent drunk, which sounds way more interesting anyway.

spamhead80 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 11, 2016

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

spamhead80 posted:

Heh, is it that surprising that Fabio and an emo teen don't feel like putting in a lot of work around the farm? They'll probably get better if you keep on giving them gifts.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Penny is really nice, supportive, still teaches the kids, sometimes makes you breakfast, waters my Iridium watered plants.

She's trying to wash all the dangerous chemicals that come from iridium off the plants.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Spouses do stuff? I haven't gotten that far in the game to marry yet. My 3 closest to maxed out are Maru, Abigail and Leah. Seems a shame for Leah to leave her home unoccupied. Maru's dad gave me a stern talking to early on that she is destined for better things than a farmers wife. Abigail seems the best candidate because all she does is play videogames, doesn't seem I'll upset the towns order by having her move home.

But if they work for you I could use someone to bring me ore, lumber or tend to the animals.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Marenghi posted:

Maru's dad gave me a stern talking to early on that she is destined for better things than a farmers wife.

Joke's on him, she gets no one!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

If you don't marry Maru she ends up developing weapons of mass destruction that help the Ferngill Republic bring a swift end to the war with the Gotoro Empire.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Marenghi posted:

But if they work for you I could use someone to bring me ore, lumber or tend to the animals.

You can't put them to work, exactly. You'll just wake up some mornings to find they've done you a favour - watered some plants, or fed the animals, or repaired some fences, or got you a gift. You can't tell them what to do.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
My plants are all automatically watered. Could do with someone to mind the animals and fences. I like the aesthetic of stone fences as my perimeter wall but have to replace them way too often compared to hardwood.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Tenebrais posted:

You can't put them to work, exactly. You'll just wake up some mornings to find they've done you a favour - watered some plants, or fed the animals, or repaired some fences, or got you a gift. You can't tell them what to do.
It's at a fairly low frequency, too, even when your relationship is absolutely maxed out. Gifts seem to come up more often than watering/feeding (which, honestly, you've probably already fully automated by the time you're married), and fences seem to come up the least often for me.

Which is fine, really. Sometimes I wish there was a way to hire a farmhand, but I didn't get married because I was counting on my spouse to perform useful labor on my behalf regularly. No, I got married because I was counting on getting a free stardrop eventually, plus I knew it would please my dead grandfather enough for him to give me a cat statue that shits iridium every day. That's what marriage is about.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'd be happy to hire on Shane or Kent as farmhands. Hell, I'm supposed to be improving the economy of the town, Damnit!

It is nice that you can get Pam a job again, although she never seems to acknowledge it.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

WarpedNaba posted:

I'd be happy to hire on Shane or Kent as farmhands. Hell, I'm supposed to be improving the economy of the town, Damnit!

It is nice that you can get Pam a job again, although she never seems to acknowledge it.

And I'm fairly certain she drives drunk. Or at least tipsy.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

That explains why no time seems to pass when you go through the tunnel.

Although looking at the map, the desert's like two minutes walk away.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

MrSlam posted:

[*]Don't be freaked out by Grandpa coming back from the grave and calling you a terrible grandchild at the end of Year 2. You can get another evaluation by bringing a Diamond to his shrine.

Lmao if you didn't pass with flying colours the first time around.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is ghost grampa supposed to actually appear or say anything? I just got the four candles and the unholy idol that farts iridium.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Really Pants posted:

Is ghost grampa supposed to actually appear or say anything? I just got the four candles and the unholy idol that farts iridium.

He talks to you when you enter the house the night you get the idol I think. Or maybe just the night you get assessed.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Hey guys, We've got some good news to share for those waiting on various ports, localisation and the upcoming multiplayer mode!

quote:

In case you missed it, ConcernedApe recently posted a Stardew Valley progress update in which he announced that we’ll be taking on porting, localization for non-English regions and development of Stardew Valley’s multiplayer mode!

As fans of Stardew Valley ourselves, we’re super excited about this! We’re working with Sickhead Games on Mac and Linux ports, and our very own Tom Coxon – developer of Lenna’s Inception and a programmer on Starboundis leading the project, as well as developing co-op multiplayer for Stardew Valley.

ConcernedApe will retain creative control over everything, of course, and we will be working very closely with him to ensure that the game’s overall intimate feeling and personality is retained in every version of the game.

The idea is to considerably reduce ConcernedApe’s workload and allow him to focus on making cool stuff! He’s listed some of the aforementioned cool stuff in his blog post, so go check it out!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I'm not sure how comfortable I am with a main Starbound name working on a complex new feature that I'm very interested in but if the alternative is CA working on everything then I'll take Coxon if for no other reason than I'll have grown children by the time CA can get around to it.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Coolguye posted:

I'm not sure how comfortable I am with a main Starbound name working on a complex new feature that I'm very interested in but if the alternative is CA working on everything then I'll take Coxon if for no other reason than I'll have grown children by the time CA can get around to it.

I hear what you're saying, I think it's good for CA to focus on adding content while the other features and backend work get implemented, if he continues to work solo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Supernorn posted:

Hey guys, We've got some good news to share for those waiting on various ports, localisation and the upcoming multiplayer mode!
Who are you? Using "we", I'm assuming you're part of a group involved in this?

If anyone who was involved in Starbound is working on it, it has dramatically depressed my expectations.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Captain Invictus posted:

If anyone who was involved in Starbound is working on it, it has dramatically depressed my expectations.

I've never seen patches that somehow go backwards in terms of play-ability and features.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

He's one of the Starbound devs. I'm not super worried because Starbound's main problem seems to be a lack of direction, which is the lead's fault, not the programmers. CA is still handling all the game play and creative content.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Yeah, I mean, for all the design issues Starbound seems pretty solidly coded? If the carriage driver drives the horses off a cliff you don't blame the horses.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I do wish CA would entrust someone to writing out the dialogue for characters. Give the writer a guidesheet for each character and then let them write 120+ conversations for each character so Concerned Ape can focus on everything else.

That way players are more encouraged to engage in conversation with townsfolk rather than checkboxing them because they only have 4-5 lines of dialogue each month.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Trebuchet King posted:

Yeah, I mean, for all the design issues Starbound seems pretty solidly coded? If the carriage driver drives the horses off a cliff you don't blame the horses.

How hard would it be to poach someone from Klei since they did Don't Starve Together? That game was awesome and they fixed a ton of the wonky balance issues (spawn in random spot in winter = death)

The biggest part of multiplayer is going to be solving griefing issues since someone could just bomb/pickaxe all your crops, furnaces, kegs, etc. Bombing furnaces makes them disappear (no that wasn't the cause of my disappearing furnace problem) FYI.

For the first 3 months, the biggest challenge of DST was getting enough resources in a hidden part of the map with people you trusted since inexperienced people would waste stuff and griefers would destroy it.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 12, 2016

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

How hard would it be to poach someone from Klei since they did Don't Starve Together? That game was awesome and they fixed a ton of the wonky balance issues (spawn in random spot in winter = death)

The biggest part of multiplayer is going to be solving griefing issues since someone could just bomb/pickaxe all your crops, furnaces, kegs, etc. Bombing furnaces makes them disappear (no that wasn't the cause of my disappearing furnace problem) FYI.

For the first 3 months, the biggest challenge of DST was getting enough resources in a hidden part of the map with people you trusted since inexperienced people would waste stuff and griefers would destroy it.

I'm assuming it'll be more co-op than real multiplayer. So if you invite your griefer friend into your game maybe you know what was coming.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mylan posted:

He's one of the Starbound devs. I'm not super worried because Starbound's main problem seems to be a lack of direction, which is the lead's fault, not the programmers. CA is still handling all the game play and creative content.

It's always really difficult to discern precisely where those problems start and end. A programmer can cause problems like Starbound's by screwing up requirements as much as a lead can cause problems by giving bad requirements. I'm more than willing to give it a chance, but I'm cautiously pessimistic until other data comes up.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Coolguye posted:

It's always really difficult to discern precisely where those problems start and end. A programmer can cause problems like Starbound's by screwing up requirements as much as a lead can cause problems by giving bad requirements. I'm more than willing to give it a chance, but I'm cautiously pessimistic until other data comes up.

Having read most of the Starbound thread, even former devs don't have a lot of nice things to say about Tiy, the head of Chucklefish. It's hearsay I guess, but most signs point to him being the problem.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
That would be putting it mildly.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I haven't read the Starbound thread, but it's pretty unprofessional to trash talk a former boss in the industry so if more than one or two people are breaching that particular piece of professional decorum it was probably pretty loving bad. The alternative - that Chucklefish consistently hired some seriously unprofessional jokers - seems less likely if for no other reason than it relies on the malice/incompetence of multiple people instead of the blithe incompetence of one.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Coolguye posted:

it's pretty unprofessional to trash talk a former boss in the industry

Kinda how i feel about it, no need to go into details but Rho has been out of the picture for over two years now. Let's not make this about Starbound, anyhow.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've spoken to someone currently employed there and they have pretty bad things to say as well so it's not just disgruntled ex employees

Regardless I don't have good faith in anything chucklefish-related, so if this turns out great, that's great. But I've not got my hopes up.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

The multiplayer side of starbound worked fine if I remember right. It's just that the game sucked. I don't see why the multiplayer part of Stardew Valley wouldn't work. I assume it's just going to be 2 people working one farm together. Hopefully with separate town relationship meters. Not expecting a lot.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Yeah, I'm not really making the connection here since it's been explicitly stated that Chucklefish is only there to help with technical poo poo like multiplayer and porting, both of which require a lot of work that have absolutely zero connection to the actual content of the game. They've explicitly stated every time this has been mentioned that CA gets all creative control at all times.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Oh please, little things like facts and circumstances and common sense have never stopped the Chucklehate.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
is it online or local multiplayer this is important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

Oh please, little things like facts and circumstances and common sense have never stopped the Chucklehate.

Look, what if Chucklefish comes out and goes "Hey CA, you know using crab pots to get easy quartz bars is a little too simple. We might 'have a delay' with multiplayer if you don't arbitrarily remove it"?