Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Get High Lord Wolnir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Have more PvP gimmick videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxtWC6Djtdw

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

wtf is this?

Why is the art so bad?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Does an early Dancer kill break any NPC questlines?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

RabidWeasel posted:

Does an early Dancer kill break any NPC questlines?
No, though it may result in Greirat asking to go loot the castle before you even have access to the archives. He'll still do the other two pillage runs first, though.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HE'S BACK AND READY TO SLAY

NO MORE MR. JOLLY COOPERATION. HE'S ONE DARK SOUL, BUT HE ALSO KNOWS HOW TO PARTY

SOLAIRE 2: DARK SUN

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tetracube posted:

HE'S BACK AND READY TO SLAY

NO MORE MR. JOLLY COOPERATION. HE'S ONE DARK SOUL, BUT HE ALSO KNOWS HOW TO PARTY

SOLAIRE 2: DARK SUN

I love you. I watched that movie the other week for the first time in years, too.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

[x]

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

SciFiDownBeat posted:

imagine if dark souls was released before the age of the internet, and people passed around rumors and tips and nobody had any idea about optimal builds or certain shortcuts.

Prior to the internet, magazines and strategy guides served that role. GamePro would have a DARK SOULS SPECIAL ISSUE!

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Apparently From thinks poise is working as intended and that nothing is wrong :downs: http://kotaku.com/from-software-says-dark-souls-3s-seemingly-useless-pois-1776079738

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
http://kotaku.com/from-software-says-dark-souls-3s-seemingly-useless-pois-1776079738

I will kill you from software

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Tallgeese posted:

No such luck.

Of all the things they actually changed, this is one of them.

Only 16 characters to a name, in the first version of the game (as in before patches) you go over your name is blank. They patched it so it's just cut at 16. Yes, they devoted some kind of patching time to this.

There is also no good way to bypass the filter since the various Unicode no-space characters give an error symbol. The font is super limited compared to DS2, which had a much wider variety of available characters.

Similarly, you can't pull a DS1 and widen the hair color options, since they actually made it a byte instead of a float that could be changed beyond its normal limit. Unless I have lost my mind, they changed it so that the game stores each hair value as a byte and converts it on the fly to a float, instead of just doing the conversion once and storing the float like in DS1. There is absolutely no reason to do this, except to block the very harmless DS1 glowing hair hack.

The Priorities of From Software, Vol. III

I'm glad that those couple of programming classes I took in undergrad mean I know some CE nonsense and that I can also appreciate the really funny stuff in your posts. :allears:
Particularly since I have found zero other uses for my programming knowledge.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

You must troll. This is key. It's pretty much the only way to have PVP fun...I get more fun out of watching people pantsshitting wondering where I am than I get from fighting them. I mean, there's no motivation to actually fight. Even when you win, the rewards are next to nothing.

Exactly. I'm invading to make the world more challenging and oppressive for someone else - if I can kill them all the better, but if I can make them run for their lives a few times or second guess blindly walking into the next room, I'm happy. Invading someone and hiding from them and their 3 man hit-squad is just as fun as actively harassing them to me.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Apparently From thinks poise is working as intended and that nothing is wrong :downs: http://kotaku.com/from-software-says-dark-souls-3s-seemingly-useless-pois-1776079738

I mean, they made the game. I think they know how their game is supposed to work more than you do.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

So is the inference that spells like Perseverance is how you 'activate' poise? It only adds your poise score on when you've activated one of the relevant buffs?

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Toady posted:

Prior to the internet, magazines and strategy guides served that role. GamePro would have a DARK SOULS SPECIAL ISSUE!

God dammit I miss these days. Arguing about whether it was possible to Hookshot into Ganon's castle in Ocarina of Time, etc.

Also: that poise news :shepface:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, they made the game. I think they know how their game is supposed to work more than you do.

Then they probably should have said what it does cuz no one knows lol

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

They mention poise in several item descriptions, the stat menu, etc. and it doesn't exist. Some wire's getting crossed here.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

From's refusal to explain basic mechanics is tiresome.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Well that's loving dumb. Enjoy the guaranteed future of Estoc for PvP.

Paul Zuvella posted:

If that was true then they would know the Way of Blue covenant is loving useless and makes two other covenants useless as a result.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Bamco reps blurgh but at least they claim to have actually passed the question on to a FROM dev.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

Then they probably should have said what it does cuz no one knows lol

They haven't done that with literally any other thing from any Dark Souls game, so why would they start now?.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Mr. Funktastic posted:

I like the part where the article points out you can turn it on and it works like in the older souls game and From's reply is "it's totally turned on and working".

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm starting to think the extra hyper frames thing might be correct, because I was testing hyper frames with a totally naked 0 poise character and it seemed way worse than what I expected compared to just using that weapon normally. But I'm only testing with random mob attacks and going by how poo poo feels in laggy pvp so who knows.

In any case I seem to get plenty of hyper frames just using random mid tier armour like Knight's etc.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Paul Zuvella posted:

There's a ring that does nothing, when it claims to do something, which it did in previous games. Some poo poo ain't going right.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Paul Zuvella posted:

They haven't done that with literally any other thing from any Dark Souls game, so why would they start now?.

Because changing a major internal mechanic without any explanation of how they changed it is dumb, especially when that change is causing a huge problem for many players.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so pvp is just going to remain poo poo forever? ive wasted a hundred and forty four hours of my life

edit: actually its a hundred and fourty one. someone please suggest me things to make in the character creator

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Paul Zuvella posted:

They actually do take a lot of steps to clearly describe some mechanics in this game, ex. Robot Andre explains how smithing poo poo works.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So think about poise as resistance from DS1, except derived from equipment instead of direct stat investment. An intentional trap.

That's literally the only way it could be working as intended, if it's intentionally a gently caress you stat.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Because at this point people have extensively tested it and poured through the data and found that it does nothing. If they want to say that it does do something they should probably say what it does.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

They should either put up or shut up. Tell us, in exact, mechanical detail what Poise does, instead of treating your customers with a holier-than-thou level of disrespect.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Vermain posted:

They should either put up or shut up. Tell us, in exact, mechanical detail what Poise does, instead of treating your customers with a holier-than-thou level of disrespect.

So like they've always done or

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Does anyone actually believe that "enabling" poise would do anything other than make PvP a poo poo show? I know plenty of people don't like it as it stands, but the problem isn't that it's too easy to stop people with straight swords from spamming r1.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Dark Souls III: Even the stats are traps

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

a shameful boehner posted:

Dark Souls III: Even the stats are traps

Dark Souls 1 too

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Vermain posted:

Lol okay well I dunno about that but I'm choosing to believe that this bamco rep just doesn't know what's up.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Dark Souls 3: Balanced Around Knight Class and Straight Swords

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Jesus loving christ. I would have preferred a "gently caress you, it's not being turning on" because at least that's more direct than "Well, clearly you just don't GET it :rolleyes:, no we're not going to tell you how it's supposed to work" like some random shitposter.

Still no official Fromsoft comment about the hacker streams train, them, I assume? Or, a direct from Fromsoft comment about Poise instead of "Bandi Namco passed along"?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Kobogartimer posted:

Does anyone actually believe that "enabling" poise would do anything other than make PvP a poo poo show? I know plenty of people don't like it as it stands, but the problem isn't that it's too easy to stop people with straight swords from spamming r1.

The problem is that resistances to specific elements aside, there's an active disincentive to wear anything but the lowest weight, highest physical resist armor possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

voltron lion force posted:

Lol okay well I dunno about that but I'm choosing to believe that this bamco rep just doesn't know what's up.

Then don't say anything. All that an official response like that does is make From Software look like a bunch of chumps who aren't even aware of how their own game is programmed to work.