Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really wish they just did the MMO thing and let people disable word filters in the settings.

Then again, any of the character names I'd want to make including the word "Knight" are too long anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Rough Lobster posted:

Not looking forward to this fight with my miracle dude...Although I may just say gently caress it and summon Sirris. Have her tank, and drop some Wrath of the Gods on their asses. I'm pretty sure that'd gently caress Lothric up.

Speaking of which I can't wait til NG+ Deacons of the Deep fight with WOTG. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to one shot every mob there.

Not sure about faith-based spells, but Lothric is much more resistant to sorcery than his brother. CSS's piercing also doesn't work on the fight because this game is dumb.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Harrow posted:

Then again, any of the character names I'd want to make including the word "Knight" are too long anyway.

Of all the things possible, cheating the name character limit is what I keep considering turning on CE for.

But then I remember that knowing my luck, I'd get banned for making a silly name while dudes are still noclipping around and editing their stats.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Runebound Vram, the eccentric Sorcerer-King of Londor.

Sunset helmet, leggings, and gauntlets and Robe of Prayer. I like how the faded gold of the armor complements the gold embroidery of the robe.

Please rate my Fashion Souls in gestures only, tia

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Rough Lobster posted:

Not looking forward to this fight with my miracle dude...Although I may just say gently caress it and summon Sirris. Have her tank, and drop some Wrath of the Gods on their asses. I'm pretty sure that'd gently caress Lothric up.

Speaking of which I can't wait til NG+ Deacons of the Deep fight with WOTG. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to one shot every mob there.

I didn't see any mention in the wikis but apparently he's crazy weak to bleeding as I found out. Made be fight like twice as easy

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Deified Data posted:

Sunset helmet, leggings, and gauntlets and Robe of Prayer. I like how the faded gold of the armor complements the gold embroidery of the robe.

*points up*

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Notorious QIG posted:

Speaking of Rosaria, I really wish you could respec at her an infinite number of times. Even if this was gated by beating the final boss or something, it's annoying that I can't rebuild my character for PVP as often as I want and have to either enter the next NG+ cycle or roll a new character.

FromSoftware, especially when Miyazaki directs, seems to think about these games differently than the players do.

The example I like to give is how Nintendo pushes time mode in Smash when it seems like everyone would rather play stock. They either don't know or don't care that players prefer a different game mode and keep advancing the other one as the default.

When it comes to Souls/borne, Miyazaki's way of doing things seems tailor-made for imperfect playthroughs. You can't respec in Bloodborne, for example, and one of the coolest weapons is gated behind deep Chalice Dungeon progression. It's not designed for you to do a Beast Claw run--it's designed for you to find that weapon later and use it for a while. The games are totally doable with imperfect or even kinda crappy builds, so Miyazaki probably doesn't fully understand why people want to change their stat allocation in the first place. That you can do it at all in DS3 is probably a compromise because you could in DS2 and it would've been lovely if you couldn't. That ties into how easy it is to mess up NPC quests, or how the games just insist on not letting you host online in an area where you've killed the boss, all those sorts of things.

This isn't intended as a defense of that design philosophy, it's just sort of how I rationalize it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Deified Data posted:

Quiet Resolve

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Yeah they really went overboard with the NPC questlines - I can't think of a single one that makes sense.

Anri - Hope you presaged the hidden hollow assassin in the church if you want it to end a specific way
Siegward - Mostly straightforward except for his Cathedral stuff. Why ever revisit the well outside the cleansing bonfire? He calls to you but not from the door, you have to get near the well first
Patches - Go open this useless shortcut and then reload the area and visit the bridge again.
Greirat - Don't get me started. I'm just going to do him a solid and never tell him to pillage Irithyll again on future playthroughs
Yoel - Hope you know that dying is what unlocks more level ups, and that he keels over himself past the Abyss Watchers
Yuria - Tied to Yoel. If you don't die enough times between meeting Yoel and entering the Catacombs you'll never meet her, and that's assuming you even know that dying is the trigger for Yoel's level ups and not something else.
Sirris - Hope you didn't fraternize with this covenant once

I completely missed every quest and npc pertaining to the dark sigil and hollowing. Up until a few days ago I was completely confused when people were talking about it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Alan Smithee posted:

Curious what's your stats and where are you currently?

How much damage do you do to bosses on average

Just finished Cathedral of the Deep and heading into Farron. I know the Deacons aren't exactly an impressive boss but I was doing 180 per swipe with a buffed +4 raw uchigatana. Mah stats and fashion souls:

Jimlit posted:

I completely missed every quest and npc pertaining to the dark sigil and hollowing. Up until a few days ago I was completely confused when people were talking about it.

Yeah my first time through I did the same. I found Yoel but didn't take his offer because it seemed suspicious and then I forgot about it and whoops dead.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

There are so many questlines that I never even ran into the beginning of in NG. Now to figure out who the hell Creighton is.

o poo poo waddup

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Every fashion souls pic I mentally have a purple bro patches squatting somewhere behind the player

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

:shepface: http://view-comic.com/dark-souls-001-2016/

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Things I wish From would change.

Barre summoning when invaded, to make people actually equip way of the blue covenant, if they want help with invasions.
Expand the accord so blue sentinels also get help if invaded.
Reintroduce a sin system and give blades of the Dark Moon the ability to invade sinners.

Would make the three covenants work better and make blue sentinels and Blades slightly different.

Patch 1.06 gave me slightly more invasions for Watchdogs, but even with a 30 lvl char, i only get like 3/hour. better than before, but still took me the better part of an evening just getting 10 swordgrass. Cleared up till pontif sulivahn and I still only have 20. :(

On that note, I now have almost 3 full sets of dark wraith armor and 8 dark swords, if anyone needs it on PC

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

This is a weird thing.

Atreiden posted:

I've always thought it made sense to just make Way of Blue and Blue Sentinels one and the same, like instead of a coward covenant and a protector covenant just make a "I've got your back and you've got mine" covenant.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 11, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Good lord do I hate those goat assholes and their M Bison head stomps.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So err, I just got to the end of Hawkwood's questline at the Legion bossfight. Now what? Is there a dragon covenant? What was he babbling about? Can I buy his gear now somewhere, I'm not seeing it.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
In Firelink, I found the Illusory Wall that lets me get the Silver Serpent Ring, but I saw a dude with a spear standing just off to the side. Who is he and how do I get to him? Is that the guy who locked me in the tower?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

double nine posted:

So err, I just got to the end of Hawkwood's questline at the Legion bossfight. Now what? Is there a dragon covenant? What was he babbling about? Can I buy his gear now somewhere, I'm not seeing it.
You finished, basically. There is no such covenant. Also, isn't he just wearing chain stuff? His shield I think shows up in the graveyard outside, but not when you kill him, rather when he leaves (?).

EDIT: ^^^^^^^ yes, that's your good friend Patches!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

double nine posted:

You've been able to buy his gear since you killed the Abyss Watchers - he's just wearing the Undead Legion set with the chainmail helmet.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Deified Data posted:

This is a weird thing.

I've always thought it made sense to just make Way of Blue and Blue Sentinels one and the same, like instead of a coward covenant and a protector covenant just make a "I've got your back and you've got mine" covenant.

I wanted to keep the separate, so there was a covenant for people who wanted to solo pve, but get help with pvp. one for those who wanted to both get help and be help in pvp and one just for being help with pvp, but not getting any help (with the added bonus of getting to invade for that covenant).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

...wha
what the hell

Is this dark souls as a Conan/Red Sonja comic?

Also like the lifted design for the DRAGON AUGERER (HAHAHAH)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
So uh. Why do lothric Knights do more damage than bosses again?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also like the lifted design for the DRAGON AUGERER (HAHAHAH)

I thought that looked familiar to me for some reason.

Alan Smithee posted:

They're the "Git Gud" tutorial enemies.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 11, 2016

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Atreiden posted:

Things I wish From would change.

Barre summoning when invaded, to make people actually equip way of the blue covenant, if they want help with invasions.
Reintroduce a sin system and give blades of the Dark Moon the ability to invade sinners.

I actually think they should've ditched the Way of the Blue and just had Blue Sentinels automatically join anyone who is invaded while solo. As for the Darkmoon, since the lore says that they hate the Aldrich Faithful, have them join anyone who is invaded by those guys.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

turtlecrunch posted:

Not sure about faith-based spells, but Lothric is much more resistant to sorcery than his brother. CSS's piercing also doesn't work on the fight because this game is dumb.

WOTG does physical damage, and a poo poo ton of it. And it hits through walls and the like so I'm fairly confident it'll dust Lothric easily.

Alan Smithee posted:

So you can use the Rapport pyromancy and laugh as they lay waste to other enemies for you, then let you finish them off with backstabs. Rapport makes that whole gauntlet up to the princes a different story.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy
Re: NPC Quests

I did everything I needed to do to get the Lord of Hollows ending naturally on my first playthrough without looking stuff up (I even got to summon Yuria for the final boss)... but then at the end I had no idea what action I needed to take to actually usurp the fire. so I didnt

I did somehow manage to stumble my way through Sirris quest though

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So is there a quick way to get to the boss of Cathedral of the Deep without running past that first giant and a million cathedral knights? That run takes forever and I die a lot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Not a Twat posted:

I did everything I needed to do to get the Lord of Hollows ending naturally on my first playthrough without looking stuff up (I even got to summon Yuria for the final boss)... but then at the end I had no idea what action I needed to take to actually usurp the fire. so I didnt

They really should've updated the interact tooltip for that. The action still saying "Link the Fire" confuses a lot of people when that's what you're supposed to do.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

BitterAvatar posted:

So is there a quick way to get to the boss of Cathedral of the Deep without running past that first giant and a million cathedral knights? That run takes forever and I die a lot.

There's an elevator off of the chapel area with the two knights and the large altar.

Though realistically the boss should only take you one attempt.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

BitterAvatar posted:

u missed a shortcut or 2

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Not a Twat posted:

Yeah Hollow Lord isn't too bad after looking it up - my tripping point on my first playthrough was simply not knowing that death was the trigger to get more dark sigils from Yoel. I also cured my hollowfication as soon as I got the fire keeper's soul because why wouldn't I? I didn't even meet Yuria.

If you get Yuria in your game though, the rest of the quest falls into place nicely.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

well ok

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Wings - how do they work?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Dragons tend to forget they can fly.

A tradition since DS1. :v:

(yes I know they were drakes in DS1)

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

MadJackMcJack posted:

I actually think they should've ditched the Way of the Blue and just had Blue Sentinels automatically join anyone who is invaded while solo. As for the Darkmoon, since the lore says that they hate the Aldrich Faithful, have them join anyone who is invaded by those guys.

I agree about Aldrich and honestly the best fights I have had there, is when blue cops show up, especially if there is also a Mad/dark spirit. I don't think Sentinels should auto join any invasions, mainly because some of us don't want help with invasions, so making it a choice by equiping a covenant is fine, but since you can run to a bonfire and chain summon it becomes redundant, hence why I would like summoning to be barred when invaded.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Atreiden posted:

I agree about Aldrich and honestly the best fights I have had there, is when blue cops show up, especially if there is also a Mad/dark spirit. I don't think Sentinels should auto join any invasions, mainly because some of us don't want help with invasions, so making it a choice by equiping a covenant is fine, but since you can run to a bonfire and chain summon it becomes redundant, hence why I would like summoning to be barred when invaded.

Yeah, I think this is a good idea. It'd increase the value of the Way of Blue covenant if it was the only way you could get more help after you're invaded.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Or at the least, treat manually summoning players like a really long-casting spell - no running for several seconds and cancelled by rolling.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

BitterAvatar posted:

You can kil lthe giant and it never respawns, also you should only be running past 2 knights if you have the shortcut.

if not, its on the lower level of the cathedral, opposite that second giant. opens up an elevator to the cleansing chapel bonfire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Yesterday evening powered through the last third of the game. I've been soloing bosses since the pontiff because of the guy here who waxed lyrical about how great the pontiff is, and I kinda missed that by summoning help for him and a few other early bosses without even trying them solo. Not really satisfying.

Princes, dragonslayer and Nameless King all last night. Still SL 57, something like 27 dex and vigor.

Didn't have any problem with the first phase of the nameless king, every attack was really slow with an obvious buildup that you could just roll to avoid. Mostly stood in front and to the left of the dragon's head so I could see what was coming. It was my 5th attempt before it did the "fly up and breathe down" attack, also the first time I died before the 2nd phase. I'm guessing you've got to get right under its feet to trigger that? Just run back when it flies up worked from then on. Roll ring is invaluable.

Second phase was more of a learning curve though ow. So glad he's right next to the bonfire. He's got a lot of attacks which start the same but finish differently, with little pauses before the final attack to gently caress with you and make you think he's finished. Killed him with the irilyth rapier and grass shield. Shield was out to speed up my 1-handed attacks, not for blocking. Rolling everywhere is yet again a life saver.

Ended up killing him unembered because I ran out of embers. A lot of these bosses (Champ Gundyr, Dragonslayer, NK) you keep dying until you learn all their new tricks, then you steamroll them. I had no estus flasks left and was one hit from death.

I think Gundyr and NK are tied for how much I swore and slammed my hands down in disbelief. The former taught me parrying, and the latter gave me a lot of practice rolling.