Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Every bike I've owned has had crap suspension. Not knowing what good suspension feels like, I don't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VERTiG0 posted:

Has it been said yet if the new-gen 2017 SV has good or bad suspension?

It has the same suspension and brakes as the old SV so bad.

Gorson posted:

According to what I've read, basically the same as previous gen SVs or any other entry level bike: non-cartridge non-adjustable telescoping forks and preload adjustable rear shock (probably Showa on both ends). Not bad, not good.

Twenty years ago that was average, now it's atrocious.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Non cartridge forks are objectively bad.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yup. Damper rod forks on a modern bike are like points ignition and drum brakes - useless and terrible and only barely capable of doing the one job they're intended to do. I find it staggering that we're entering an era where even learner bikes have ABS and ESC yet suzuki are happy to make a brand new bike with broken suspension from twenty years ago.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

It's old outdated tech for sure, but it's the same as any other entry level bike. If Ninja 300's and CBR300's had USD cartridge forks I would be all "WTF SUZUKI" but you gotta hit certain price points so CEO's can buy more yachts for their children. THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
It's the exact same suspension setup the FZ-07 and CB500 and every other entry level midsize or smaller bike has, so complaining about it is shouting into the void. Emulators and new springs are like $400, go hog wild.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

How well do emulators address the problem? Been thinking about them for my biek.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Excuse me but their job is to sell bikes and they sell bikes so they must be doing their job and the only room for improvement is on profit margin because like I said as long as it sells it sells and we make money so pour me another shot of Louis XIII because I just hit another target for a bonus that was written into my contract thank you very much I would love another toucan tongue canapé.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Yup. Damper rod forks on a modern bike are like points ignition and drum brakes - useless and terrible and only barely capable of doing the one job they're intended to do. I find it staggering that we're entering an era where even learner bikes have ABS and ESC yet suzuki are happy to make a brand new bike with broken suspension from twenty years ago.

Not big enough demand for it. If tons of people yelled about it, there would be at least more factory options for higher end stuff. But consumers and even dealers are very ignorant about suspension, considering how much they know about engines. When I tried the Tracer, I talked a bit with the Yamaha dealer guy (seller, not a tech), I asked about the suspension and got confused answers, he didn't seem to know the difference between adjusting spring preload and adjusting damping.

It's a shame because great suspension can make a poo poo bike into a wonderful one. Engine and drivetrains are so good these days, I can't remember demoing anything that was really bad. I know some are more corrupted by power than others, I think the 115 hp of Tracer is much more than adequate. But dammit I wish they'd spent a bit more on mass producing great suspension so I wouldn't have to (hypothetically) spend 1/7th of the purchase price on artisanal Swedish clockwork suspension.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ola posted:

Not big enough demand for it. If tons of people yelled about it, there would be at least more factory options for higher end stuff. But consumers and even dealers are very ignorant about suspension, considering how much they know about engines. When I tried the Tracer, I talked a bit with the Yamaha dealer guy (seller, not a tech), I asked about the suspension and got confused answers, he didn't seem to know the difference between adjusting spring preload and adjusting damping.

It's a shame because great suspension can make a poo poo bike into a wonderful one. Engine and drivetrains are so good these days, I can't remember demoing anything that was really bad. I know some are more corrupted by power than others, I think the 115 hp of Tracer is much more than adequate. But dammit I wish they'd spent a bit more on mass producing great suspension so I wouldn't have to (hypothetically) spend 1/7th of the purchase price on artisanal Swedish clockwork suspension.

:agreed:

Though I think while awesome suspension on every bike is unrealistic, lots of bikes have perfectly adequate cartridge forks out of the box which, if they aren't super duper racetrack perfect, are at least mostly functional, keep rebound and compression separate to eachother and have springs that aren't garbage. Striple is the first example to spring to mind, the one I rode was completely non-adjustable but the forks were awesome nonetheless. I don't think that's an unrealistic goal but you're right, most people are too loving useless to know the difference anyway.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
At least semi decent suspension cost more than the current set up and the middle weight market the new Gladius is in is very price sensitive so to compete with the MT-07 Suzuki have to cut corners.

The brakes will only be adequate as well so they should be better as well.

Then the OEM tyres are also a bit rubbish so put some good rubber on them as well.

Now the bike costs a grand more than the MT-07 and apart from raw HP you have a bike as good as the GSR-600 for around the same money so why by the SV when the GSR has more power for the same money

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HotCanadianChick posted:

It's the exact same suspension setup the FZ-07 and CB500 and every other entry level midsize or smaller bike has

I still don't see how that makes them good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Now the bike costs a grand more than the MT-07 and apart from raw HP you have a bike as good as the GSR-600 for around the same money so why by the SV when the GSR has more power for the same money

Because the 600 will be a buzzy boring i4 and the SV has the SV engine, widely known to be one of the better engines to come out in any bike at that price point.

The suspension is supposed to be better than the older SV's but still basically the same tech. So that means it will still be greater than the sum of their parts and perfectly fine for 95% of riders and the people who aren't happy with it will put emulators in or swap to gsxr forks just like they do now. It will still have the same fork tech that a ton of other bikes have, because it's still built to a price point.

That being said, if we're talking "bikes built to a price point", the SV is at the top of the bang-for-your-buck scale, just like it always was.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
The Duke has decent suspension and brakes but it's like $2500 more than other light-end-of-middle-weight bikes while having a way less friendly engine. Makes it a really, really hard sell, I wouldn't have bought one new.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Coredump posted:

How well do emulators address the problem? Been thinking about them for my biek.

Coupled with new springs, very very well. I have a Hawk GT (gentleman's SV650 :smuggo:) and the front end is much improved over the stock setup. Less dive under braking, better feel on turn in, more comfortable over bumps and road joints. However it really exposes the stock rear shock for the boat anchor that it is so now I need to replace that ($$$) and the process is irreversible since you have to drill holes in the damper rod, at least for the Racetech GVE's.

clutchpuck posted:

I still don't see how that makes them good.

It doesn't. What we are saying is that you don't put Ohlins on a 5k to 8k bike because that cannibalizes sales of the higher end bikes, which have a much higher profit margin.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So after getting in a crash with my girlfriend two years ago, she still refuses to ride. However, I enjoy spending time with her. Does this mean I should get a sidehack, or a Polaris Slingshot?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Radbot posted:

So after getting in a crash with my girlfriend two years ago, she still refuses to ride. However, I enjoy spending time with her. Does this mean I should get a sidehack, or a Polaris Slingshot?

New girlfriend?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

NeuralSpark posted:

New girlfriend?

This is actually the best idea.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Radbot posted:

Girlfried time = food and wine. Bike time = me time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

Coupled with new springs, very very well. I have a Hawk GT (gentleman's SV650 :smuggo:) and the front end is much improved over the stock setup. Less dive under braking, better feel on turn in, more comfortable over bumps and road joints. However it really exposes the stock rear shock for the boat anchor that it is so now I need to replace that ($$$) and the process is irreversible since you have to drill holes in the damper rod, at least for the Racetech GVE's.

It doesn't. What we are saying is that you don't put Ohlins on a 5k to 8k bike because that cannibalizes sales of the higher end bikes, which have a much higher profit margin.

Yeah but the options aren't damping rods or ohlins, there are lots of bikes with thoroughly acceptable middle of the road generic cartridge forks that do a good job.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Yeah but the options aren't damping rods or ohlins, there are lots of bikes with thoroughly acceptable middle of the road generic cartridge forks that do a good job.

This is true, and it's honestly depressing that old tech goes on entry level bieks when there's better tech out there that wouldn't significantly raise the cost of manufacture. But profits is profits.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Manufacturers pull ABS off of bikes that aren't sold anywhere else in the world without it for the North American markets, because motorcycles here are "toys" and not transportation and $500 on a $7000 bike is a big deal to toy buyers.

That pisses me off more than cheap suspension does.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Harley has been using the (mostly) same old tech for the past 30 years and look how far they've gotten.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Rode my bike to work today, ride in wasn't too bad, but coming home was a LOT of bumper to bumper traffic. I can find neutral like a pro now, chums. I honestly wouldn't ride in traffic like that voluntarily again, at least until I feel comfortable lane splitting. Sitting at red lights for 3 cycles is a fuckin drag. I need to map out a better route that uses less trafficked roads, but I am starting to question the idea of commuting on my bike. Also my taint/inner thighs hurt from sitting on the bike so much with feet on the ground.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Haha, don't worry you'll develop the proper nerve damage

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

Harley has been using the (mostly) same old tech for the past 30 years and look how far they've gotten.

the bar isn't that far.

NeuralSpark posted:

New girlfriend?

Trade in the spouse and the bike. 2 for one.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

cursedshitbox posted:

the bar isn't that far

One of my favorite bars is 1300 miles from here...

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Hm, I really like this bike.

180kg wet, 450km range, 25ish horsies, big front wheel. huge travel on suspension

If I want to go retro hipster style, I can actually get a bike for my kinda riding.

http://www.gizmag.com/royal-enfield-himalayan/41671/

http://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/himalayan/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSdInyfUD8M

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wouldn't a royal enfield absolutely disintegrate if you treated it like that on the regular?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My fuel economy has made a jump lately.

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/suzuki/gsx750es/1986/olamarvin/74369

My current average on Fuelly is 44.4 MPG and I was used to getting 42-43. Now I'm doing 48 and 49, one tank was even two-up. I think it's the 4-1 system and subsequent carb tune (the manual calls for uneven sync with the OEM 4-2). Or maybe Shell's "Fuelsave" magic actually works?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
God I hate those fake dirtbike fairings over the front wheel. Maybe more than the birdnoses they evolved into.

It's even more egregious when there's an actually functional hugger fitted.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

God I hate those fake dirtbike fairings over the front wheel. Maybe more than the birdnoses they evolved into.

It's even more egregious when there's an actually functional hugger fitted.

Gah how did I not notice that? Now I can't unsee it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Wouldn't a royal enfield absolutely disintegrate if you treated it like that on the regular?

There are about ten million bog-standard Royal Enfields out there being used as family cars and livestock transports, that have never even seen a paved road. You can point a lot of pejoratives at them but but "under-engineered" isn't one of them.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

darth cookie posted:

Gah how did I not notice that? Now I can't unsee it.

You could take it off and move the headlight down to compensate, maybe?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

You could take it off and move the headlight down to compensate, maybe?

Actually its the lower guard I find redundant in this example.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There are about ten million bog-standard Royal Enfields out there being used as family cars and livestock transports, that have never even seen a paved road. You can point a lot of pejoratives at them but but "under-engineered" isn't one of them.

Really? Cause everyone I've spoken to IRL who has had contact with them, as well as people on this very forum, have said that they're extremely poorly put together and not very robust at all beyond the big heavy chunks of steel aspect.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

darth cookie posted:

Actually its the lower guard I find redundant in this example.

:frogout:

If you replaced that vestigial chop job on top with a proper dirtbike fender, ie one which actually extends backwards past the fork tubes in order to provide some real functionality, then sure

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 12, 2016

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Supradog posted:

Hm, I really like this bike.

180kg wet, 450km range, 25ish horsies, big front wheel. huge travel on suspension

If I want to go retro hipster style, I can actually get a bike for my kinda riding.

http://www.gizmag.com/royal-enfield-himalayan/41671/

http://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/himalayan/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSdInyfUD8M

Why are there two front fenders. Why. I don't even understand why you'd put two there. It looks loving stupid. Rest of it isn't too bad though. Could do with more HP though.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
wow 25 horsepower, don't use them all in one place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Shimrod posted:

Why are there two front fenders. Why. I don't even understand why you'd put two there. It looks loving stupid. Rest of it isn't too bad though. Could do with more HP though.
All dualsports have this now. BMW GS have had for years. No clue why.