Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

woz's brain is broken. im sure for him seeing any new gadget is like giving a retard a pastry

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PleasureKevin posted:

being a sell out is bad

actually it's great

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

The Management posted:

actually it's great

if earthly goods can drown out your conscience and substitute for a sense of integrity, sure

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

PleasureKevin posted:

if earthly goods can drown out your conscience and substitute for a sense of integrity, sure

:ironicat:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Last Chance posted:

woz's brain is broken. im sure for him seeing any new gadget is like giving a retard a pastry

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MEANWHILE,
ON THE PLANET OF
THE TINY
HUT-PEOPLE...
(Saucer crab descends and lands on alien planet)

Saucer Crab: Gozar of the tiny hut-people, now is the time for your weekly beating.

Gozar: (comes out of a tiny metallic hut) Is that you, saucer crab?

Saucer Crab: (ray gun pops up, blasts Gozar and hut to smithereens) Ha-ha-Ha! Ha-ha-Ha! Ha-ha-Ha! See you next Thursday! (flies off)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

MEANWHILE,
ON THE PLANET OF
THE TINY
HUT-PEOPLE...

Saucer Crab: Gozar of the tiny hut-people, now is the time for your weekly beating.

Saucer Crab: (ray gun pops up, blasts Gozar and hut to smithereens) Ha-ha-Ha! Ha-ha-Ha! Ha-ha-Ha! See you next Thursday! (flies off)
*gives smythe a pastry*

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Smythe posted:

MEANWHILE,
ON THE PLANET OF
THE TINY
HUT-PEOPLE...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yard salad posted:

agreed, owning a prius is pretty bad

i just can't get over the totally earnest "my wife is intellectually inferior to me because she doesn't remember useless spergy details of things that even I admit no one ever encounters"

that or "I consider forcing her into an uncomfortable situation at an unexpected time to be good pedagogy"

or "let me emphasize several times how calm I was in my logical explanation, while characterizing her tone as "screaming""

i feel really sorry for the woman

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

being a sell out is bad

dude he helped make a computer that helped to launch a gigantic consumer tech company. he's not a loving artist. he can't sell out.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

p. sure van gogh never devised a way to save $1.50 in making ntsc color hardware dude

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

PleasureKevin posted:

being a sell out is bad

i agree. of course, its an easy sentiment to hold when one will never be in a position where its an actual choice

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Puppy Galaxy posted:

dude he helped make a computer that helped to launch a gigantic consumer tech company. he's not a loving artist. he can't sell out.

Woz was dragged kicking and screaming into apple. he enjoyed making telephone systems that told jokes when you called them.

then, he left Apple cause it got too big and corporate.

fast forward and now he's a literal corporate shill for whoever will pay him.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

i'd say i sold out by becmoming a programmger but i had nothing to sell out of. you can't live a middle class life as an artist or writer anymore

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i work on a small start-up project that will probably become a non-profit foundation. i could by making 6 figgies, instead i'm making less than probably any programmer with my experience in my industry.

i honestly prefer to do something good that helps the world, even if i'm broke forever.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the state of the world is really bad. and i'd feel pretty guilty as a one-percenter.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i'd drown my guilt in champagne

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

the state of the world is really bad. and i'd feel pretty guilty as a one-percenter.

okay

the guiltless will be over there on their yachts if you want to go see

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

zen death robot posted:

six figures won't make you a one percenter

six and a half figgies, though

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

1% is when your investment income dominates your salary

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

zen death robot posted:

six figures won't make you a one percenter

yes it will

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

kevin, why don't you worry about selling out when you get that opportunity rather than before?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

wouldn't it be better to make those figgies while maintaining your current lifestyle & donating the rest?

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

sell out and make enough moeny to hire two people to do what you were doing before you sold out

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

six and a half figgies, though
those are some p deece earnings

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Necc0 posted:

wouldn't it be better to make those figgies while maintaining your current lifestyle & donating the rest?

this is what just about every young entrepreneur i meet says. it's also what the upper class says to justify their own greed. they donate to the upper east side ballet hall, so why should they have to pay more taxes? bill gates for example, he donates a lot of money but he also opposes raising the minimum wage.

you could say i've already sold out, but i'm trying to un-sell-out. i actually used to help run a massive tax scam. it was a "charity" that gave wealthy people tax exemption based on "donations" but then funnelled the money back to them through off-shore companies. seeing the poo poo the wealthy did and the way they justified it was pretty crazy.

doing something wrong is easy, just come up with some cliche to justify it and then go for it. i do it all the time when deciding to have another beer or slice of pizza. the rich and powerful are seldom wiser and more responsible and are just capable of doing more damage than the average person. i'm kind of afraid of what i'd do if i were wealthy. i also just don't want to get out of touch.

but even if i keep my nose clean, i'd still be part of something I don't like. if it's a tech startup situation, i'll be surrounded by and enriching VCs, who are the most Ayn Randian fuckboys in the world.

thanks for reading.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm a 1%er, I make more than every subsistence farmer in Vietnam or Guatemala

*gets evicted because couldn't afford rent*

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

my plan now is to run non-profits. i'll make pretty good salary. with that i plan to finance some not-for-profit businesses where i'll also make salary. and given the chance i may or may not be a board member of some other young companies that will give me sick stock options. so i may yet be wealthy.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I didn't sell out, I bought in

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PleasureKevin posted:

my plan now is to run non-profits. i'll make pretty good salary. with that i plan to finance some not-for-profit businesses where i'll also make salary. and given the chance i may or may not be a board member of some other young companies that will give me sick stock options. so i may yet be wealthy.

see, it's okay when kevin makes money from stock options. but capitalism is evil when other people do it.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ban pleasurekevin

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

The Management posted:

see, it's okay when kevin makes money from stock options. but capitalism is evil when other people do it.

yeah, i'm still not sure if i'd do that. pretty hypothetical though. if it was a young company i could possibly steer them towards more ethical decisions until the shareholders unelected me.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

mishaq posted:

ban pleasurekevin

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

a p dece six and a half figgies puts you in the top 1% of people in their twenties, 400k gets you in the door with the big boys

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

mishaq posted:

ban pleasurekevin

why do you want to ban me? i just said i don't want to sell out.

do you prefer to be surrounded by people who are willing to sell out because it makes you feel more comfortable doing it yourself?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

a p dece six and a half figgies puts you in the top 1% of people in their twenties, 400k gets you in the door with the big boys

maybe i'm talking out my butt, but i think there's a difference between wealth and salary. like some people in the top 1% wealth-wise might have zero salary.

and making six figgies shouldn't be the 1%. it should be the middle class, the average. it's not an astronomical amount of money or anything. the astronomical amount is held by the 0.1%.

even bernie sanders is the in top 1-2% in terms of income. well, his household anyway.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mishaq posted:

ban pleasurekevin
has anyone ever since him and cremnob in the same room together?

and if they had why didnt they set the room on fire?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

cremnob is a neo-con ultra-capitalist

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

can we hear less about you and more about great new products from Apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy