Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

Arguing on a paywalled forum means they'll never see the confusion they're sowing.

I'm confident in my cynical jesting that arguing on public forums or facebook groups won't change the end result.

At least here people can mostly chat it up and adapt their homebrew rules as they see fit until the ITC homebrew ruleset comes to some sort of consensus. At that point people can argue about how authoritative Frontline Gaming's homebrew is vs. the RAW/RAI FAQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Um, I just reread the "Gets Hot" FAQ and I think that both sides are wrong as you both misread it.

The confusion comes from the idiot who asked the question asking about Plasma Cannons, then lumping in other gets hot weapons.

The answer clarifies this though because it specifically says BLAST gets hot weapons don't get the reroll because the roll isn't a to hit roll. Your regular Plasma Gun rolls to hit, rather than uses a blast template, so it is, in fact, rerollable, as it is a to hit roll.

So essentially: Gets hot with template=no reroll, gets hot with a to hit roll=reroll.

But yeah, they need to clarify it more by rewriting that poorly written question.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

jadebullet posted:

Um, I just reread the "Gets Hot" FAQ and I think that both sides are wrong as you both misread it.

The confusion comes from the idiot who asked the question asking about Plasma Cannons, then lumping in other gets hot weapons.

The answer clarifies this though because it specifically says BLAST gets hot weapons don't get the reroll because the roll isn't a to hit roll. Your regular Plasma Gun rolls to hit, rather than uses a blast template, so it is, in fact, rerollable, as it is a to hit roll.

So essentially: Gets hot with template=no reroll, gets hot with a to hit roll=reroll.

But yeah, they need to clarify it more by rewriting that poorly written question.

Hahaha, if only it were that simple.

quote:

If a model has the ability to re-roll its rolls To Hit (including because of BS6+ or the Twin-linked special rule), a Wound is only suffered if the To Hit re-roll is also a 1; it may also re-roll Gets Hot results of 1 for weapons that do not roll To Hit.

Like I've said, I'm fairly certain that the FAQ team flat-out forgot that section of the rule exists. It's been discussed pretty thoroughly on the Facebook page though, so hopefully somebody on their rules team manages to actually find a rulebook between now and when the FAQ goes official.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Oh. Well whatever, FAQs and errata always supercede the Rulebook anyway so when they actually release the FAQ, whatever it says will be the new ruling.

If you don't like the way it is right now, and feel like they forgot their own rules, then go point it out to them by posting about it on the comments section for that particular FAQ image.

The FAQ isn't finalized, they are showing the FAQ an army at a time so that they can get feedback and make sure they haven't missed anything like the rule above, as well as to gauge feedback on some of the rulings. There will most likely be changes based on the feedback when they release the FAQ officially as 7.5.

Personally, I prefer the way the FAQ has ruled since you are rolling to see if your plasma cannon explodes exclusively, rather than rolling to hit. It just doesn't feel the same as rerolling a hit to me. Just my opinion though.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 11, 2016

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Just seems like a pointless distinction to make, why leave the poor ole Plasma Cannon at a disadvantage for this one rule, while making it the equal in others?

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I think just the idea that GW would release a beta FAQ is amazing. Of everything they have done to slam on the breaks in the last few months, the two that are really striking are announcing products more then a week in advance, and the Beta-reviewed-finalized FAQs.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So I know Beerhammer is really the only palatable way left to play 40k - my MDF terrain guy has a 30% off sale on Saturday, including the new Large Beer Storage Platform, and the Beer Objective Room

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Can I get a price check on this box of old tyranids as if bought new?

rippers 23 (individual ripper models, I think 5 makes a unit?)
gaunts 41
genestealers 11
warriors 5
gargoyle (metal) 2
zoanthrope (metal) 1
ice blue pot (dried) 1

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I wouldn't spend more than 50 bucks on that.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skellybones posted:

Can I get a price check on this box of old tyranids as if bought new?

rippers 23 (individual ripper models, I think 5 makes a unit?)
gaunts 41
genestealers 11
warriors 5
gargoyle (metal) 2
zoanthrope (metal) 1
ice blue pot (dried) 1

Unless they are 1st edition gaunts and gargoyles a whole lotta nothing.

Though for shitsngiggles.
6 warriors = 102
48 gaunts = 116
16 genestealers = 60
10 gargs = 29
3 zoanthrope = 66
373 bucks!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Neat, it was $10

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK, so last call, I'm going to Warhammer Fest this weekend and am ordering some event-only models for a couple of goons here, if anyone wants me to pick on up for them send me a PM or email: krushgroove169@gmail.com - I'll need cash for the model plus postage via Paypal before getting anything but the goons who I sent stuff to last year can vouch for me. Also, if you're there, say hi, I'll be wearing a grey hoodie and shirt with my https://www.tinyplasticspacemen.com logo on it

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Uroboros posted:

Just seems like a pointless distinction to make, why leave the poor ole Plasma Cannon at a disadvantage for this one rule, while making it the equal in others?

That is my thought as well. Pask gives Preferred Enemy and I love my Executioner Tank with all its Plasma Cannon goodness. Why give out a rule that would have no effect on this tank when its solid with all other variants. Besides, its not like Plasma Cannons are breaking this game rule wise.

The Death Thread answer would because its GW but still now

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skellybones posted:

Neat, it was $10

Still payed too much.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

malal posted:

I think just the idea that GW would release a beta FAQ is amazing. Of everything they have done to slam on the breaks in the last few months, the two that are really striking are announcing products more then a week in advance, and the Beta-reviewed-finalized FAQs.

It is and it isn't because one could say that this is typical GW, years behind the curve - trying out open beta rules releases just when privateer press realized that it is a bad idea and isn't doing them for mk 3

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Anyone else having any issues with getting this link to work.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

krushgroove posted:

OK, so last call, I'm going to Warhammer Fest this weekend and am ordering some event-only models for a couple of goons here, if anyone wants me to pick on up for them send me a PM or email: krushgroove169@gmail.com - I'll need cash for the model plus postage via Paypal before getting anything but the goons who I sent stuff to last year can vouch for me. Also, if you're there, say hi, I'll be wearing a grey hoodie and shirt with my https://www.tinyplasticspacemen.com logo on it

Did you get mine?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Phyresis posted:

It is and it isn't because one could say that this is typical GW, years behind the curve - trying out open beta rules releases just when privateer press realized that it is a bad idea and isn't doing them for mk 3

I think the comparable PP thing would be infernal rulings in their own FAQ forum. I'm happy to criticize GW when they really gently caress the dog on something but I don't think this is that something.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
For me it's not the substance of their current line of actions, more that they are trying something different.

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

jadebullet posted:

Me too. Chrome gives this warning:

quote:

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from https://www.tinyplasticspacemen.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID
because the site has not been set up yet.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Uroboros posted:

It's a really big deal with Riptides using ion overcharged cannons (which is what got me to really understand the rule in the first place).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

jadebullet posted:

Try http://www.tinyplasticspacemen.com/ (no https)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
That worked. I wonder why the http was messing it up.

Also, apparently there is going to be a North American store exclusive mini on Memorial day weekend to celebrate the 100th store.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Miniwargaming is doing a GorkaMorka campaign right now! I mean, they're using a bastardized version of GorkaMorka mixed with some 7th edition rules and Heralds of Ruin Kill Team rules, but it's been pretty fun so far. I would recommend skipping the first 2 minutes of every video pleading to pay for their vault membership, though.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
You should pay for a Vault membership not for the game content but for the literally hundreds of painting tips and tutorials. There's some really good stuff in there.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Ilor posted:

You should pay for a Vault membership not for the game content but for the literally hundreds of painting tips and tutorials. There's some really good stuff in there.

Paying the Silver membership was worth it. I really enjoy the campaigns, and you won't be able to access them fully without it, and the painting stuff has been useful as well.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Speaking of Miniwargaming, whatever happened with that whole blue table painting debacle?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

jadebullet posted:

Sorry about that - need to talk to my webhosting friend to see what caused that! I use the HTTPS Everywhere extension so it adds that to everything but the link didn't work for some reason.

Uroboros posted:

Did you get mine?

I've only heard from Hencoe and DrPop so far, did you send an email?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I suspect it's because your webserver doesn't have a https certificate installed nor a route to your website, so the default hosting panel shows up. It works for you anyway because of that https everywhere extension which automatically detects and fixes the link on your end.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893
Diary of a Warhammer 40k Noob,

Journal Entry #3 - Sprues

Dear Diary,

My wolf pack starter army finally arrived. I tore open the packaging like a kid at Christmas and instead of finding miniatures with wolf skins I found a series of complex grid-like structures. They remind me of a plastic abacus sans moving beads. I called my brother who explained to me that this is a "sprue" and the traditional method in which miniatures arrive. I would need to obtain a clipper and some glue in order to put them together.

I hopped onto Amazon to obtain my clipper which arrived just yesterday. I warmed up a hot bath, turned my laptop to a wonderful show about love and family starring a little guy named Tyrion, and quickly sat about clipping my soldiers whilst sitting in a vat of me-soup.

I was given some advice. "Flat part of the clipper goes against the model piece." Despite that, I think I still managed to clip a little bit off of a helmet. I've no idea if that's bad or good or if I've ruined that bit entirely.

Looking at the sprues more closely, it also looks as if each individual abacus structure is its own unit, rather than the units being distributed across them. I figure that will help in dealing with the less complicated models (marines) vs the more complicated ones (marines on giant wolves.)

Either way, I anxiously await the next stage of gluing since my artistic skills haven't extended beyond a finger painting job I did for my mother on mother's day. That was just a few days ago, though... so maybe I've got this.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Anasurimbur posted:

Either way, I anxiously await the next stage of gluing since my artistic skills haven't extended beyond a finger painting job I did for my mother on mother's day. That was just a few days ago, though... so maybe I've got this.

I usually don't clip everything off all at once. It makes sorting through bits really complicated. Instead, I clip as I assemble. Clip the part off, clean it with an exacto knife (scrape away mold lines), do any adjustments with a metal file, then clean the bits for that model with soapy water, dry, and assemble the guy. Often I'll assemble torsos and legs for everyone first, then go through and do arms and heads. I keep bolters off to paint separately.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Anasurimbur posted:

Diary of a Warhammer 40k Noob,

Journal Entry #3 - Sprues

Welcome brother!

Yeah its a bit of a shock realizing that you don't get pretty painted models but instead a bunch of sprues, although putting them together can be very fun in a Lego type way.

Getting some flush clippers and using the right side to cut the models off the sprue is pretty important. If you over did it a little, it should be okay, once you paint over it odds are nobody will be able to tell at all. If you really took a chunk out of his helmet, you can plug it with some greenstuff and round out the helmet, but it probably won't be a big deal.

Sometimes though its better to cut and leave some sprue on the model and then use an x-acto to knife it off if the shape makes it difficult to fit the snippers in there. The plastic is pretty soft and easy to carve.

As for the unit/sprue thing, sorta. Normally you buy a unit as a seperate box and the sprue only contains models for that unit. And the "get started" and other army bundles merely toss the same sprues you'd get seperate into a box together, so that means they are seperated by unit. But not always, some kits for a group of units may have all the helmets on one sprue and all the guns on another, it depends.

Whats real fun is that half of GW's minis include really nice instructions telling you which options are which and how to assemble them, but the other half of GW's minis have absolutely no instructions at all and leave you entirely on your own to figure out how to put them together. Those tend to be simpler, but still, its a bit of a shock.

You'll be pretty comfortable with clipping sprues and gluing space barbies together in no time.

Make sure you get some plastic glue as it is much easier to work with than superglue and dries much faster and stronger. But also superglue if you end up with any metal or resin figures. And be careful you don't use too much plastic glue as it will literally melt your models.

DeadGame posted:

I usually don't clip everything off all at once. It makes sorting through bits really complicated. Instead, I clip as I assemble. Clip the part off, clean it with an exacto knife (scrape away mold lines), do any adjustments with a metal file, then clean the bits for that model with soapy water, dry, and assemble the guy. Often I'll assemble torsos and legs for everyone first, then go through and do arms and heads. I keep bolters off to paint separately.

Yeah I also do this. I'll clip off 2-3 pieces and then glue them together and move on.

Sometimes I end up with 2 sprues that are entirely clipped and another 1-2 sprues that are only half clipped when I stop assembling for the day, and have to put both models and sprues back into the box, but it works out just fine.

Clipping everything at once feels satisfying and you can throw away the sprues, but then you might be left with dozens of helmets and guns and such and get confused or have trouble finding a piece.

Also some of the sprues (but not all lol) have numbers or letters on them to tell you which part is which, so the instructions will say specifically make one guy using helmet 12 and body 23 and another guy with helmet 13 and body 20. If you clip them all ahead of time you'll never remember which is which.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893

DeadGame posted:

That's great advice. I only clipped the Wolf Lord for now - so everything of his is in one nice little piece of tupperware and not super confusing. There are about... 10 or so marines in the starter pack other than the wolf lord and I didn't want to confuse all of their varying pieces and bits and I admittedly felt overwhelmed already.

Zaphod42 posted:

Welcome brother!

Yeah its a bit of a shock realizing that you don't get pretty painted models but instead a bunch of sprues, although putting them together can be very fun in a Lego type way....

This was all great advice. Thank you! I'm trying to do just that with leaving more of the sprue + exacto knife.

I have a buddy in a close town over from where I'm at and we're going to get together for a "glue day" instruction. He's been pretty great at slowly introducing me to varying game concepts and letting me play his armies for the game itself so I can learn rules and game play.

I'm nervous about the glue since it's so permanent but I know that's no attitude for a Space Wolf. But if any of you are ever at a tournament and come against my Leman Russterfucks you'll know that I at least tried.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

jadebullet posted:

Speaking of Miniwargaming, whatever happened with that whole blue table painting debacle?

I'm also curious about this. The video of that dude looking over the minis and finding spots of just primer was pretty sad. How much did he blow on that?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Having dabbled in airbrushing I rewatched that video the other day. It looked like someone had done airbrush pre shading in preparation for the detail work and washes. Like stage 2 of maybe 6.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Anasurimbur posted:

New to 40k stuff
Gluing and trimming and modeling, at the basic level, are all super easy to learn. I learned how to do them as a kid with Gundam models and while I've gotten better with time, it's come with its share of nicks and cuts. Also, if you use superglue, that's totally fine. It's not really any harder to work with than plastic glue so long as you aren't fat fingering everything, and if you make a pose that doesn't work for one reason or another, you can pop the pieces apart with a bit of pressure.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Don't think I've ever washed a normal GW model before assembly. Forgeworld and other companies resin stuff? Sure, but never GW plastics.
Also I tend to do the normal cut them stuff off sprues and then let most of it gather dust in some sorting box. With the later stuff I do tend to keep stuff paired together though like Scion rifle arms and such because keeping those separate would be a massive pain when assembly comes around a couple of years later. :v:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Taken from the IC Podcast facebook page.
http://www.brunocamara.com/#!warhammer/xa8vl

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cooked Auto posted:

Don't think I've ever washed a normal GW model before assembly. Forgeworld and other companies resin stuff? Sure, but never GW plastics.
Also I tend to do the normal cut them stuff off sprues and then let most of it gather dust in some sorting box. With the later stuff I do tend to keep stuff paired together though like Scion rifle arms and such because keeping those separate would be a massive pain when assembly comes around a couple of years later. :v:

Yeah, washing plastic is wholly unnecessary. It's good to do to metals too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Cooked Auto posted:

I do it because I get lots of small dusty flakes on it when filing and mold line scraping. It's not about removing mold release chemicals, but grime.

• Locked thread