Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

In my Demon's Souls game with a bud we're working our way through weekly we just got the Fluted Set and blew up like eight levels getting the Royal able to use it and not fat roll, god drat it.

My friend was convinced poise was a thing. :haw:

In Demon's Souls, you wear the Fluted set just because it looks so drat good. Worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is co-op broken on the ps4/xbone? where you sometimes fight a boss that doesn't attack?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Jose posted:

is co-op broken on the ps4/xbone? where you sometimes fight a boss that doesn't attack?

Which boss?

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Jose posted:

i take it they have't fix poise yet? why the gently caress did they make it an invisible stat this time

i'm also real glad that the FUGS that requires 10 str more than the dragon tooth and is substantially heavier than it does less damage :thumbsup:

Poise is not broken. The community at large has not discovered its exact mechanics. Some people have latched onto the idea that it does nothing at all based on some limited information and incendiary claims in youtube videos.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Jose posted:

Crystal Sage can do that if you deal more then X dmg to him before he teleports.

Tykero posted:

Poise is not broken. The community at large has not discovered its exact mechanics. Some people have latched onto the idea that it does nothing at all based on some limited information and incendiary claims in youtube videos.

Some people have latched onto the idea that is does something all based on some limited information and less then 2 mins of youtube video.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Tykero posted:

lol

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Polo-Rican posted:

So now that Dark Souls 3 has been out for a while, what is the objective, definitive, and correct ranking of Souls games?

dark souls 3 > dark souls 2 > dark souls 1 imo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Grondoth posted:

Which boss?

bosses i've helped someone on the PC where i could attack at will: the tree, aldritch and the pontiff at least

the tree is awkward because hitting the weakspots is hard when he spins in a circle and doesn't move otherwise

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Basically, this guy is really funny though. I can't wait for his hard cap poise build.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Polo-Rican posted:

So now that Dark Souls 3 has been out for a while, what is the objective, definitive, and correct ranking of Souls games?

1. Bloodborne
-
2. Dark Souls (like, only because of Izalith tho)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
3. Everything else

e: The amount of waffling I would do between BB and DS1 if I thought about it more is enough that they're p much equal

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
I have been doing great at PVP in this game, therefore I am 100% behind the new poise system.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Szcwczuk posted:

It's a worthless stat currently they have not fixed it yet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JKartje/status/727205465852006400
http://forums.bandainamcogames.com/showthread.php?529129-The-Poise-thing

I know it wont be good enough as it's not the lead dev/CEO.

Kartje is a Namco Bandai community manager.

Again, FromSoftware has never stated that Poise is disabled. You're welcome to admit you're wrong at any time.

Edit: B!= K

Tykero fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 11, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tykero posted:

Bartje is a Namco Bandai community manager.

Again, FromSoftware has never stated that Poise is disabled. You're welcome to admit you're wrong at any time.

this is a top troll

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
I just want them to fix the invalid game data poo poo and NPC's attacking through solid objects already.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

DS2 > DS3 > DS1 > DeS > Bloodborne

objective, definitive, and correct

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Section Z posted:

So uh, any of those opinions have PvE rats staggering havels in mind? Or are you wholly basing your stance on PvP meta?

This is the thing, if PvP wasn't even in the game the poise situation would be crappy. Poise working like it did in previous games would make the game easier but who gives a poo poo, it would let you use less powerful builds better and still have fun with them instead of getting staggered out of your great heavy soul arrow a frame before it fires because an ant bit your ankle.

PvP in every game has consistently been a crappy, laggy mess that is not worth the time if you have played basically any other competitive game. It is absolutely covered in twinks, cheaters and hackers, it runs on completely different balance rules than the rest of the game where some builds become vastly worse in PvP while things like the hornet ring and parrying become bullshit, and the way the mechanics work, you are never on equal ground so what's the point. On average, you will beat the players whose builds are less optimized for PvP than yours and lose to those whose builds are more optimized for PvP.

Poise working like dark souls 1 would probably just lead to a different set of builds becoming the Right Ones, and I'm guessing it would look something like giantdads. It's a PvE issue IMO.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Has anybody figured out whether your pose stat affects things when you're using those poise "boosting" weapon arts? That would mean poise technically does something, even if it's a really, really weak something

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Szcwczuk posted:

I just want them to fix the invalid game data poo poo and NPC's attacking through solid objects already.

its incredibly buggy for an actual release

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

Bloodborne is the best one. After that, I can't really make myself care too much. I waffle on whether I like Dark Souls or Demon's Souls better, but that's about it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Polo-Rican posted:

If Dark 1 is the baseline, Dark 2 took one step forward and two steps back while Dark 3 took two steps forward and one step back.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Bloodborne is the best one. After that, I can't really make myself care too much. I waffle on whether I like Dark Souls or Demon's Souls better, but that's about it.

its dark souls 2 sotfs

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tykero posted:

Don't stand in between three rats drooling and mashing R1. It works pretty well for me, and I use mostly slow weapons.
"x is different from previous games and therefore must not be working properly" is not a good argument.

Would be more believable if it didn't take only one stray rat hit to flinch a havels, but keep waving that huge penis of yours I guess.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Jose posted:

its incredibly buggy for an actual release

I got attacked by a hacker this morning and got invalid game data (not sure if it's connected) I'm waiting for the ban now.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Section Z posted:

Would be more believable if it didn't take only one stray rat hit to flinch a havels, but keep waving that huge penis of yours I guess.

It's totally possible that poise actually does do nothing but I love how this is waved around as the smoking gun as though it's some obvious absurdity that the force of a giant rat lunging at you or a blow from a dagger isn't something you can literally stand still and shrug off whatever you're wearing

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Space Hamlet posted:

Has anybody figured out whether your pose stat affects things when you're using those poise "boosting" weapon arts? That would mean poise technically does something, even if it's a really, really weak something

As far as I know, during those periods of Stomp or Perseverance, you essentially have hyperarmor, and it doesn't actually use your poise value. I'm not 100% on this, but it seems like the logical answer.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Szcwczuk posted:

I got attacked by a hacker this morning and got invalid game data (not sure if it's connected) I'm waiting for the ban now.

If you have save backups, restoring them from before meeting the hacker should keep you safe, from what I've read.

This tool works very well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4f02y7/dark_souls_2_3_auto_backup_tool/

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Szcwczuk posted:

Crystal Sage can do that if you deal more then X dmg to him before he teleports.

Some people have latched onto the idea that is does something all based on some limited information and less then 2 mins of youtube video.

The Youtube video clearly shows Poise doing something. It's not hard to grasp.
We don't know how everything works yet. That doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I find it hard to rate Bloodborne over DS1 or DS3 when it goes back to the lovely healing system Demon's Souls had. Dark Souls 1 had a basically perfect healing system; if you removed kindling and made Fire Keeper Souls more common (but you require multiple per estus upgrade) it'd be actually perfect.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Digirat posted:

If you have save backups, restoring them from before meeting the hacker should keep you safe, from what I've read.

This tool works very well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4f02y7/dark_souls_2_3_auto_backup_tool/

I did this, I still get the error but I read that's normal. I'm hoping everything will be fine.

Tykero posted:

The Youtube video clearly shows Poise doing something. It's not hard to grasp.
We don't know how everything works yet. That doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

Were done with you, no one cares anymore.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i sure do love immediately stunlocking and removing someone's entire hp bar with one combo of three button presses.

i bet they wish they had some kind of system or even a 'stat' that could prevent them from being stunlocked so that 90 percent of weapon matchups weren't 3 second bloodbaths. alas, as far as i know, no such system has ever been conceived.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Polo-Rican posted:

Bloodborne >= DS3 > DS2

Can't speak for DS1 and DES because I haven't played them but that's my opinion at least. DS3 is really good, but bloodborne edges it out thanks to the regain mechanic and how it handled dodging. I'm tired of rolling. The quick step dodge is awesome and it should be put into all of these games forever moving forward. The regain mechanic speaks for itself, just a really nice gameplay improvement that got ditched probably because it didn't fit into the universe or something.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

GulagDolls posted:

i sure do love immediately stunlocking and removing someone's entire hp bar with one combo of three button presses.

i bet they wish they had some kind of system or even a 'stat' that could prevent them from being stunlocked so that 90 percent of weapon matchups weren't 3 second bloodbaths. alas, as far as i know, no such system has ever been conceived.

Whatever scrub didn't you see his 45 second video that clearly shows how stupid you are?

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Section Z posted:

I'm sorry that my original statement was insulting. That was unnecessary, and I apologize.

The old mechanic for being uninterrupted by attacks in an idle state is gone. You will need to either utilize your hyperarmor or proper spacing/timing to hit the rat without it interrupted your attack.
A shield with decent deflection is a good choice if you find the above tricky. Rats will bounce off and open themselves up for attack.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tykero posted:

I find it funny that people are so convinced Poise does nothing, especially after the DS2 Agility fiasco.

CheatEngine warriors are claiming that they know exactly how everything in the game works and Poise does literally nothing, based on their limited access to the game's machinery.

Meanwhile videos like this are quietly ignored:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dpbRQi9JiM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3elfWA41FQ

The constant claims that Poise is the magical missing ingredient that will solve the woes of the baddies who can't handle Estoc/Dark Sword users are hilarious. Poise would make those builds only more simplistic and degenerate. The game is better without the old Poise mechanics.

In the video you posted, a single point of poise is doing the same thing as a huge amount. So if poise does work that way, there's zero point in stacking it as one point is all you need.

That's idiotic.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I find it hard to rate Bloodborne over DS1 or DS3 when it goes back to the lovely healing system Demon's Souls had. Dark Souls 1 had a basically perfect healing system; if you removed kindling and made Fire Keeper Souls more common (but you require multiple per estus upgrade) it'd be actually perfect.

Bloodborne's healing system is at least better than Demon's Souls's because at least it limits how many you can carry and you can't just carry huge stacks of multiple types of healing items all the time.

I agree that it's inferior to Estus, though. At least it stops really being an issue around mid-game, because you can just stockpile extra Blood Vials for ages, but that doesn't help that much because it means that new players are the ones who are most likely to be frustrated by it.

I still consider Bloodborne the best because what it does well outweighs its flaws for me, but I definitely agree that Blood Vials are a step back from Estus.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jose posted:

bosses i've helped someone on the PC where i could attack at will: the tree, aldritch and the pontiff at least

the tree is awkward because hitting the weakspots is hard when he spins in a circle and doesn't move otherwise

I had this happen with the pontiff: just as I entered the fog gate I got summoned as a bluecop, when I came back to my own world I was in the arena with the pontiff and he wouldn't move and I just killed the poor epileptic bastard

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

Bloodborne's healing system is at least better than Demon's Souls's because at least it limits how many you can carry and you can't just carry huge stacks of multiple types of healing items all the time.

I agree that it's inferior to Estus, though. At least it stops really being an issue around mid-game, because you can just stockpile extra Blood Vials for ages, but that doesn't help that much because it means that new players are the ones who are most likely to be frustrated by it.

I still consider Bloodborne the best because what it does well outweighs its flaws for me, but I definitely agree that Blood Vials are a step back from Estus.

Yeah I have no complaints about the combat system. I'm just the scrublord who ran out of bloodvials in the last third of the game and had to go farm them for an extremely annoying amount of time.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Szcwczuk posted:

Were done with you, no one cares anymore.

You're free to put me on ignore if you don't want to see my posts.

GulagDolls posted:

I can't argue that. The old poise system had equally degenerate issues.

Internet Kraken posted:

In the video you posted, a single point of poise is doing the same thing as a huge amount. So if poise does work that way, there's zero point in stacking it as one point is all you need.

That's idiotic.

Yes, more testing is required. If that is all that poise does it would indeed be pretty idiotic.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
A person on reddit noticed this, this is a briefer version of a comp image I made for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

Weirdly the majority of the fights I've seen have been awful attrition wars where, assuming no instakill hornet ring twink bullshit so we are reasonably close in power, I have no chance if they invade when I've already used most of my estus in the area but they have no chance if I summon people, because then my team has more estus. It feels like everything either does really insignificant crappy damage where we have to wear each other down with bee stings or it's just a stunlock combo to death.