Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Tykero posted:

The old mechanic for being uninterrupted by attacks in an idle state is gone. You will need to either utilize your hyperarmor or proper spacing/timing to hit the rat without it interrupted your attack.
A shield with decent deflection is a good choice if you find the above tricky. Rats will bounce off and open themselves up for attack.

So poise works unless you get hit by?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

Bloodborne is the best one. After that, I can't really make myself care too much. I waffle on whether I like Dark Souls or Demon's Souls better, but that's about it.

Demon's Souls had really good atmosphere but nearly every single mechanic and system was bloated and archaic as gently caress even at the time it came out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah I have no complaints about the combat system. I'm just the scrublord who ran out of bloodvials in the last third of the game and had to go farm them for an extremely annoying amount of time.

Yeah, farming sucks, no argument there.

The most efficient way to get Blood Vials in the late-game is to go farm the slime students in the Lecture Building and then use the blood echoes to buy Vials, but even that is farming, which, eh.

I've read some pretty eloquent defenses of Blood Vials--sort of combining the reliance on the Regain system with an encouragement to take a break and run through the level again if you're struggling against a boss--but I think the elegance of the Estus Flask system outweighs any benefit that could've had.

One nice thing about Blood Vials is that it lets you refill without respawning enemies by getting them as drops or finding them in the environment, but that could've existed without making them a persistent thing you have to buy/farm for.

Bolow posted:

Demon's Souls had really good atmosphere but nearly every single mechanic and system was bloated and archaic as gently caress even at the time it came out.

If I'm being "objective," Dark Souls is definitely better than Demon's Souls. But from a purely subjective standpoint, I loving love playing Demon's Souls. And I didn't play it until after Dark Souls, so it isn't even that it was my first Souls game. Maybe the atmosphere is just that good.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Tykero posted:

Yes, more testing is required. If that is all that poise does it would indeed be pretty idiotic.

Get to it then.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

a lot of this poise discussion stinks of "not *my* dark souls!!!" whining. it could be From simply redefined what "poise" means for ds3 (I assumed poise in ds3 only activated during an attack, since I'm able to tank hits during some attack animations it seems). or it could very well be that they intended to have poise in the game and turned it off in a last minute decision. In the meantime, the pvp meta will reach an equilibrium until From updates the game, as it is in every souls game.

honestly this poo poo is nowhere near as bad as backflipping havel's or frame-based durability

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is there any "reliable" way to farm sharp stones? I've been 3 hours farming the red eyed scimitar skeletons near the bonfire of Catacombs of Carthus (just turning right where the ball comes from) and got a lot of titanite, large titanite and embers but not a single sharp stone yet everyone claims that that's the best farming spot, is there a better zone for them?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

SciFiDownBeat posted:

honestly this poo poo is nowhere near as bad as backflipping havel's or frame-based durability

At least with the DS2 durability nonsense you could mitigate it by switching weapons or repair powders. This there isn't such a work around until when/if they change it.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Reminder that Dark Souls 1 launched with a lightning weapon (the equivalent of what we now call raw) meta and it painted a picture of a truly horrible VIT-build future

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There's a difference between balance issues and oversights. This is a case where From put in the poise stat, had several items that interact with it, and it doesn't appear to do a drat thing. I can't think of anything like that in past two games. It seems like they decided they didn't want DS1/2 poise and cut it out, but didn't bother to update any of those items that are related to poise.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Atreiden posted:

So poise works unless you get hit by?

Poise does not function like it did in ds2, just like it didn't function in ds2 as it did in ds1. A lot of confusion seems to stem from people expecting it to work the same way.

So far we know it at least interacts with the hyper armor system in some fashion.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the old poise system was fine in theory. all the numbers were just retarded

the hyperarmor system is also fine in theory, except: i should not be able to do ~1400 points of damage to player with r1>l2>r2. everything just does so much damage. and also what has how much hyperarmor needs adjusting. i use the exile greatsword and it feels like i have infinite hyperarmor frames. that loving club with the nails (not the reinforced club. i don't know the name of it. its just a black stick with a 10000 nails stuck on the end) in it can hyperarmor through at least greatswords with its spin move and does enough damage to kill anyone and procs bleed and stunlocks

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The only thing that confuses me about it is that apparently a lot of people never used a thrusting sword with the Stone Ring in Dark Souls 2 because the Estoc was one of the best weapons in that game too lol

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Oh... I got locked out of Irina of Carim's wares because I bought those two worthless dark miracles. Ugh. It's almost neat that they have these good and bad endings for NPCs, but they really could make it a bit more clear when a meaningful decision is being made. :( I didn't realize that stupid book with its lame spells bothered her so much.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

turtlecrunch posted:

A person on reddit noticed this, this is a briefer version of a comp image I made for them

Neither of those statues is holding the lothric sword what does it mean

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Tykero posted:

So far we know it at least interacts with the hyper armor system in some fashion.

No we don't.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Atreiden posted:

No we don't.

His video is PROOF that is works with hyper armor /s

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Neither of those statues is holding the lothric sword what does it mean

i think its pointing out that that's supposed to be a statue of lothric and he has the pontiff's sword in his hand

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Szcwczuk posted:

His video is PROOF that is works with hyper armor /s

My bad. I went off the guys who testet it for hours, after having seen this 2min video my view is completely changed, even though it contradicts my own experience

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

turtlecrunch posted:

A person on reddit noticed this, this is a briefer version of a comp image I made for them

Almost as irritating as Dark Souls 2 misidentifying that hawk or whatever as a crow.

Actually, not nearly as annoying as that

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Internet Kraken posted:

In the video you posted, a single point of poise is doing the same thing as a huge amount. So if poise does work that way, there's zero point in stacking it as one point is all you need.

That's idiotic.

Obviously Poise has diminishing returns because you only need one.

Also for all we know hyperarmor just looks at whether or not you're wearing armor since it seems to behave no differently with just 1 poise.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Notorious QIG posted:

Am I the only person who liked Ancient Wyvern? I don't think it's the best boss in the game or anything, but being chased up an ancient ruin by an enormous and nigh-invincible dragon all to culminate in the most :black101: moment of the game was really rad. It's a gimmick boss, but it's a good gimmick unlike Yhorm.

I enjoyed it. Try co-oping it for added hilarity when you get someone who has no idea what to do and struggles with fighting the wyvern for several minutes while you vanish and then suddenly drop on its head and murder it. I've done it several times.

Also fun just to race the host/other phantoms if they DO know how to beat it. Hidden Body+Slumbering Dragoncrest ring make it hilariously easy to dash right past every enemy without aggroing them.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

i think its pointing out that that's supposed to be a statue of lothric and he has the pontiff's sword in his hand

it means pontiff has his fingers in a lot of fuckin pies

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

If I'm being "objective," Dark Souls is definitely better than Demon's Souls. But from a purely subjective standpoint, I loving love playing Demon's Souls. And I didn't play it until after Dark Souls, so it isn't even that it was my first Souls game. Maybe the atmosphere is just that good.

I think I killed the first boss of the game before I gave up because it was such a colossal pain in my loving rear end. Then I played Dark Souls a couple years later and loved it. I haven't played DeS since, I probably should repurchase it at some point

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

SciFiDownBeat posted:

it means pontiff has his fingers in a lot of fuckin pies

Oh boy, more yaoi theories

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Objective opinion on all Souls games; they are all good and we should love and cherish them all.

But boy do they have some stupid, stupid design decisions.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

SciFiDownBeat posted:

a lot of this poise discussion stinks of "not *my* dark souls!!!" whining. it could be From simply redefined what "poise" means for ds3 (I assumed poise in ds3 only activated during an attack, since I'm able to tank hits during some attack animations it seems). or it could very well be that they intended to have poise in the game and turned it off in a last minute decision. In the meantime, the pvp meta will reach an equilibrium until From updates the game, as it is in every souls game.

I can live in a world where From has decided poise should only mean hyper armor and only on certain weapon movesets - some need it more than others.

I would just like for there to be a purpose to items like the Wolf's Ring or Yhorm's Shield that allegedly raise poise but do nothing. Even if it's just extending hyper armor on movesets that already have it. Just do something.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Bolow posted:

I think I killed the first boss of the game before I gave up because it was such a colossal pain in my loving rear end. Then I played Dark Souls a couple years later and loved it. I haven't played DeS since, I probably should repurchase it at some point

phalanx was a colossal pain in everyone's rear end

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

New Concept Hole posted:

Obviously Poise has diminishing returns because you only need one.

Also for all we know hyperarmor just looks at whether or not you're wearing armor since it seems to behave no differently with just 1 poise.

It isn't this. One of the videos shows the masters set has no apparent hyper armor. At this point I'm not convinced that this system is any different from that in Dark Souls 2.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bolow posted:

It's worth another shot, if you're ever feeling like it. If nothing else, the Tower of Latria is still one of the coolest areas in any Souls game.

It also definitely leans harder than any other Souls game on the "limited checkpoints, lots of shortcuts" side of things. If you're not diligent about shortcuts, the boss runs are nightmarish. And a few of them are pretty bad even with shortcuts (gently caress the Maneaters). It is also not particularly well-balanced--the entire game basically rolls over and shows you its belly if you pick up the Lava Bow or the Firestorm spell. When people say that sorcery is easy mode in Souls games, that is never more true than in Demon's Souls.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

New Concept Hole posted:

Oh boy, more yaoi theories

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Okay, enough of this poise nonsense. I'll take a look at it.

What effects are known to grant "poise" and actually work? I'll simply see what they do to the character.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

It's worth another shot, if you're ever feeling like it. If nothing else, the Tower of Latria is still one of the coolest areas in any Souls game.

It also definitely leans harder than any other Souls game on the "limited checkpoints, lots of shortcuts" side of things. If you're not diligent about shortcuts, the boss runs are nightmarish. And a few of them are pretty bad even with shortcuts (gently caress the Maneaters). It is also not particularly well-balanced--the entire game basically rolls over and shows you its belly if you pick up the Lava Bow or the Firestorm spell.

If you go back to Demon's Souls, do yourself a favor and look up how to dupe items. It's super easy and otherwise there's a good chance you'll have to grind for weapon upgrade items.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

It also definitely leans harder than any other Souls game on the "limited checkpoints, lots of shortcuts" side of things. If you're not diligent about shortcuts, the boss runs are nightmarish. And a few of them are pretty bad even with shortcuts (gently caress the Maneaters). It is also not particularly well-balanced--the entire game basically rolls over and shows you its belly if you pick up the Lava Bow or the Firestorm spell.

That boss run made me an expert at powering off my PS3 before the game registered my death so I could spawn back outside the boss fog. Amazed I never corrupted my data or anything.

Can you even still do poo poo like that anymore? Not sure how much the series' save system has advanced since then.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Tallgeese posted:

What effects are known to grant "poise" and actually work? I'll simply see what they do to the character.

Perseverance doesn't actually boost your poise but references it all the same so I'm curious what's going on there.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
For the xbox players, you've all been experiencing lovely connection issues since the game released, right? I've only had a few days were I've been able to summon and it kind of sucks.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Deified Data posted:

That boss run made me an expert at powering off my PS3 before the game registered my death so I could spawn back outside the boss fog. Amazed I never corrupted my data or anything.

Can you even still do poo poo like that anymore? Not sure how much the series' save system has advanced since then.

Every game since DeS saves you as dead the instant your HP hits 0, instead of after the YOU DIED screen. If you quit while you're falling off an edge of something but you haven't died, you'll be okay, but if you're even a second too late you'll load your game back to your death animation.

e: same with grabs. If you get grabbed and you know you're going to die, you can save/quit and reload A-OK.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

It was actually already known that if you have zero poise you have no hyper armor and above zero poise you do, but that still pretty much counts as "poise does nothing" because nobody is walking around with zero poise.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

weapons granting perseverance grants something like poise

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, speedrunners pull that kind of poo poo all the time. I know I've seen people do a skip in DS3 by taking a fatal fall but quitting out before the game registered the death.

cheetah7071 posted:

If you go back to Demon's Souls, do yourself a favor and look up how to dupe items. It's super easy and otherwise there's a good chance you'll have to grind for weapon upgrade items.

You don't really need the super-rare upgrade items to finish an NG, but if you want to finish NG+ or get trophies, dupe like crazy or prepare to grind until you never want to look at a PS3 again. So dupe, is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Atreiden posted:

weapons granting perseverance grants something like poise

I think only Perseverance, Unfaltering Prayer, Stomp, Iron Flesh, and great weapon hyper armor grants poise, and several of those probably don't even work the same as each other.