Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man, I keep thinking how awesome Divine would have been playing Granny Goodness.

I am really interested to see where AoA goes wrong, because they've given us 2 good X-men films in a row, and is it just they lost it? Though I keep seeing "this will be a bigger failure than BvS!", but it's still doubling its RT scores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Travis343 posted:

Since they're obviously going to be full-on Apokalips by JL2 I wonder if they can get Ed Asner back to play Granny Goodness.

To be honest, that casting always made me uncomfortable.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ImpAtom posted:

Darkseid is interesting because he is an omnipotent dark force who can't be easily defeated and who commonly acts through catspaws and minions. Blowing your load on him right out of the bat is less interesting than having his stable of interesting minions around followed by building up to the big man himself. This isn't even just DC, it's pretty common stuff in general. Bond fights Oddjob or Jaws before he fights the mastermind and so-on.

See also Thanos' various flunkies in the MCU.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

When the film involves people named Granny Goodness, Desaad, Darkseid and Vermin Vunderbar you're basically gonna have to accept that is where it's going.

id argue that all these are stupid but naming a character after a popular band (i checked the years) is something else entirely. dc is so goddamned stupid

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

twistedmentat posted:

I am really interested to see where AoA goes wrong, because they've given us 2 good X-men films in a row, and is it just they lost it? Though I keep seeing "this will be a bigger failure than BvS!", but it's still doubling its RT scores.

BvS wasn't a failure, it was a disappointment. Also, it has the names of the two biggest superheroes in the history of the medium in its title. And they're fighting. Millions of people bought a ticket off the name of the film alone.

The embargo for BvS was lifted about three days before its premiere, which didn't materially affect its first-weekend box office (too late to do that, people had already pre-bought tickets due to seeing the name "Batman v Superman"), but certainly affected its second and third weekend box offices. If the situation was like what FOX is looking at with X-Men Apocalypse - nearly three weeks of uninterrupted critical lambast - then yeah, maybe BvS collapses in the box office. Still, unlikely though, considering it has the name "Batman v Superman". The branding is just too strong, the inherent appeal is always there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's no way Fox expected the mixed reviews on Apocalypse. You don't screen a movie this early and lift the embargo unless you're sure you have a good movie on your hands. They're probably shocked that the word is so mixed.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Betty White for Granny Goodness

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

There's no way Fox expected the mixed reviews on Apocalypse. You don't screen a movie this early and lift the embargo unless you're sure you have a good movie on your hands. They're probably shocked that the word is so mixed.

Yeah, it's...well, the X-Men brand could be really strong (and I think it's definitely strong enough to recoup its budget, at the least), but we could be looking at an ASM 2 situation here.

Karnith
Jul 9, 2014

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

id argue that all these are stupid but naming a character after a popular band (i checked the years) is something else entirely. dc is so goddamned stupid
Both the band and the character are probably named after Herman Hesse's novel (that, or after the literal meaning of the word, which is the German term for coyote or "steppe wolf"). "Steppenwolf" in Hesse's book is a name for the bestial and antisocial side of human nature, which makes it sort of appropriate for a villain character, I guess?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Karnith posted:

Both the band and the character are probably named after Herman Hesse's novel (that, or after the literal meaning of the word, which is the German term for coyote or "steppe wolf"). "Steppenwolf" in Hesse's book is a name for the bestial and antisocial side of human nature, which makes it sort of appropriate for a villain character, I guess?

he's a huntsman, so that's why Kirby chose that sort of theme, I suspect

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah, it's...well, the X-Men brand could be really strong (and I think it's definitely strong enough to recoup its budget, at the least), but we could be looking at an ASM 2 situation here.

The X-Men movies would love Amazing Spider-Man 2 money.

Only DOFP has been up there.

And they aren't significantly cheaper to make either.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

What you got against Kirby?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Aphrodite posted:

The X-Men movies would love Amazing Spider-Man 2 money.

Only DOFP has been up there.

And they aren't significantly cheaper to make either.

I meant more as "sequel that's supposed to launch a New Wave of film projects in the shared universe underperforming mightily, forcing the studio to panic-cancel their entire upcoming slate".

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Regarding Zemo:

Did anyone else think that he was going to use the super soldiers for an adjusted version of the Thunderbolts? Obviously the script would have had to been adjusted a bit, but it would have been great to come out of that fight with his team of super soldiers saving the day (at least in the eyes of Ross) and being the face of the new registration initiative.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

Steppenwolf was a german novel from the 20s before it was ever a band.

On the other hand Negasonic Teenage Warhead is named after a Monster Magnet song but I guess Morrison loves him some Magnet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

The band did not invent Steppenwolf. I'm glad you also jumped to "DC is so stupid" for something created by Jack Kirby who as we all know has nothing to do with Marvel comics.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 12, 2016

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Havoc904 posted:

Regarding Zemo:

Did anyone else think that he was going to use the super soldiers for an adjusted version of the Thunderbolts? Obviously the script would have had to been adjusted a bit, but it would have been great to come out of that fight with his team of super soldiers saving the day (at least in the eyes of Ross) and being the face of the new registration initiative.

Well, I've heard this elsewhere: By keeping Zemo alive, they obviously keep one door open. What they suggested was, imagine if none of the Avengers had signed the Skovia Accords. Who could possibly keep the Avengers in check? Now, if all the Avengers make up and collectively flip the bird to Ross and the UN and say "Who's gonna make us?", now they have a manipulative genius who has a grudge and access to old SHIELD/Hydra/Soviet files. That could be a Thunderbolts lead in.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hello BSS Movie thread. I would ask you to take a moment out of your day and do a good deed by signing this. It's time we stop the bias of the media. We can no longer let it slide. X-Men Apocalypse is the final straw. Nevermind that whole Deadpool thing. Those checks just did clear in time obviously.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 12, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I never understand people who claim movie critics/videogame journalists are paid off by big companies. All it takes is one person blowing the whistle and the companies would be in big trouble.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

muscles like this? posted:

I never understand people who claim movie critics/videogame journalists are paid off by big companies. All it takes is one person blowing the whistle and the companies would be in big trouble.

Payola is a thing, and companies have frozen out media publishers they don't like (eg Ubisoft and Gawker). I'm not saying it's happening in this instance, but it does happen.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Paying and giving benefits to make critics like you is a thing.

The idea that one big company is able to freeze out another big company by doing that is not.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The thing is that reporters have frequently complained about how Marvel screenings and media junkets have always been barebones and cheap compared to other companies as far as perks for the media goes.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

This is what happens when you only consume nerd movies and media and don't try to branch out what you take in at all.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

X-O posted:

You've already admitted to not having an interest in DC so I'm going to guess many of their villains will be uninteresting to you. Steppenwolf is fine for a lead in to Darkseid.

I feel like it's a bit of a mighty leap to say that finding Steppenwolf uninteresting is the same as not being into the majority of DC villains. Like surely not giving a poo poo about Steppenwolf can still allow you to find Mr. Freeze tragic or Sinestro super interesting.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

SonicRulez posted:

Sinestro super interesting.

Let's not say things we don't mean.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It's about ethics in -- <punched out>

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Retro Futurist posted:

Betty White for Granny Goodness

twistedmentat posted:

Man, I keep thinking how awesome Divine would have been playing Granny Goodness.

You guys are aware that PAULA DEEN is a person who is alive and is basically already Granny Goodness.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Well, this is at least interesting. I do have to wonder if Booster Gold's too deep a cut, especially when thinking about the DCU characters who don't have announced movies, who are currently relevant in pop culture or just popular in general - Supergirl, Power Girl, Martian Manhunter, basically every single one of Batman's sidekicks or colleagues at this point, Green Arrow, or the Teen Titans. On the other hand, this'll probably premiere after 10 other movies, including basically all the really heavy JL hitters (and Cyborg).

It's at least interesting and exciting, in much the same way Suicide Squad inherently is to me. It's DC taking the more obscure parts of their legacy - where a lot of hidden gems are stored - and making movies out of them and that's pretty neat.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

Well, this is at least interesting. I do have to wonder if Booster Gold's too deep a cut, especially when thinking about the DCU characters who don't have announced movies, who are currently relevant in pop culture or just popular in general - Supergirl, Power Girl, Martian Manhunter, basically every single one of Batman's sidekicks or colleagues at this point, Green Arrow, or the Teen Titans. On the other hand, this'll probably premiere after 10 other movies, including basically all the really heavy JL hitters (and Cyborg).

It's at least interesting and exciting, in much the same way Suicide Squad inherently is to me. It's DC taking the more obscure parts of their legacy - where a lot of hidden gems are stored - and making movies out of them and that's pretty neat.

They should have Ryan Reynolds play him so everyone keeps confusing him for Green Lantern.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Ryan Reynolds should play Blue Beetle for that sweet RGB trifecta.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Booster Gold is a fantastic choice for a film and only hurt a bit by Ant-Man and Deadpool long beating him to the punch. His core concept is both extremely filmable and extremely marketable while his power set translates easily to film.

In terms of heroes who translate easily to film Booster Gold is honestly really high up there. He's a normal dude from the future who travels back in time to get rich as a superhero and through his adventures ends up becoming a real hero. It's nothing groundbreaking but get a good charismatic lead and you've got an easy success.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Read an article recently suggesting that the combined budget for both parts of Infinity War could be as high as $1 billion.

At least 90% of which will cover Robert Downey Jr.'s salary.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I imagine that Disney's more than happy to underwrite that, considering it will recoup its entire budget off the back of part one.

And that's before pointing out that IW will be the absolute biggest merchandizing opportunity ever, like in the history of the cinematic medium.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, didn't Disney make back around half the cost of the Lucasfilm acquisition on TFA merchandising alone?

According to Wikipedia, the most expensive single film is the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie, which cost around £380m, while the Hobbit movies, which were shot back to back, cost approximately £625m or so altogether. So it will set a new record on that front if it does come to that total. For comparison, BvS and Civil War each had a budget of about $250m each.

Semi-related: I feel that if Civil War falls short of BvS at the box office (say it tops out at around $800m) it won't be treated as quite as big a disappointment. I'm not sure why I feel like that (and it doesn't look like that will happen at the moment) but it's the impression I have from how the press has worked thus far (probably because, as we all know, Disney has been buying off all the movie critics to get positive reviews :tinfoil:).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 12, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Well, again, if that rumor of "67 named characters" is true I imagine it'll cost a pretty penny just for casting alone. Also, for just IW parts one and two I really hope they bring in everyone from the MCU - all the Defenders, whoever is a hero on that Agents of Shield show I don't watch, a whole host of new heroes to lead into phase four. Everyone. Just to underscore how important and huge of a threat Thanos is, that the movie ends up wrangling dozens of characters from two different mediums to underscore how desperate things are.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Semi-related: I feel that if Civil War falls short of BvS at the box office (say it tops out at around $800m) it won't be treated as quite as big a disappointment.

That almost literally can't happen. Like as in the box office math for that basically makes it an impossibility.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 12, 2016

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Wheat Loaf posted:

According to Wikipedia, the most expensive single film is the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie, which cost around £380m, while the Hobbit movies, which were shot back to back, cost approximately £625m or so altogether. So it will set a new record on that front if it does come to that total. For comparison, BvS and Civil War each had a budget of about $250m each.

That makes sense, shooting on-location is expensive as gently caress.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, didn't Disney make back around half the cost of the Lucasfilm acquisition on TFA merchandising alone?

Semi-related: I feel that if Civil War falls short of BvS at the box office (say it tops out at around $800m) it won't be treated as quite as big a disappointment. I'm not sure why I feel like that (and it doesn't look like that will happen at the moment) but it's the impression I have from how the press has worked thus far (probably because, as we all know, Disney has been buying off all the movie critics to get positive reviews :tinfoil:).

Batman and Superman are considered two of the most valuable IPs in the world. Iron Man and Captain America probably are on their way there if they're not already but even with their wild success nothing can quite touch Batman, not to mention the first megacrossover between the two (as opposed to the third in CW's case.) It had higher expectations than CW did.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah, CW has already definitively outperformed BvS opening weekend, doesn't have the Avengers name (in retrospect, probably because Disney wanted to both manage expectations and make sure not to dilute the brand), and is basically the exact opposite of BvS in critical acclaim/overall brand continuation. BvS had a really terrible second weekend, in large part because word of mouth/brand messaging had gotten away from them. CW will almost certainly definitively pull away from BvS in box office for second weekend BO, where MCU has had stronger legs as a matter of course than DCCU. (That's been their key differentiator up to now; MCU has stronger gains over time while DCCU gets higher first and second-weekend upfront BO.) Like, we're talking outperforming BvS by at least 20 million, 70 million in receipts versus 50 million. And then there's China, in which Civil War has already exceeded LTD sales for BvS.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose Civil War has already earned in a fortnight or so what Winter Soldier managed to make in its entire run in theatres, so that's probably an encouraging sign for the folks who count the money at Disney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Semi-related: I feel that if Civil War falls short of BvS at the box office (say it tops out at around $800m) it won't be treated as quite as big a disappointment

It's currently at $738m. It would not surprise me at all if it hits a billion.

• Locked thread