Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

tsob posted:

I'm not sure why you're acting like people are overly crediting Smith when most are saying it was better than expected given he was on it and he himself has always admitted he played little part in it since the show essentially makes itself and it's the writer who's really to credit.

This. It was better than expected, and Smith gives most of the credit to the full time staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Smith really isn't a good director at all. His strength is as a story teller. His "Evenging With" specials are fantastic. I've often thought he would make a killing touring comedy clubs.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He tours colleges if that counts. Only as a speaker though, not as a comedian. They're pretty good watching, though usually overly long and best taken in chunks.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
If Teddy Sears winds up staying for S3, we need a word filter that replaces his name with "MY SECRET IDENTITY HAS BEEN TURNED INTO A MEME BY SPEEDSTERS".

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Actual thing that happened while I was watching this episode with my brother: Cisco mentions the morgue, we both go "that's where they store the mountain of metahuman corpses, obviously", scene change and when Cisco says "this is where we store all the dead metahumans" we have to pause playback because we are laughing so hard.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The trailer for next episode :staredog:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm only 10 minutes into this ep and its like these are totally different characters. Good job, Smith!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

gently caress I hope this is a start of a trend for Iris's characterization. The one ethical person in a room full of mad scientists and pragmatists. This was the best Iris episode of the series, she had better lines than Cisco.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I thought that episode was fairly not-great. Iris was funnier and more likable, yea. But you're not allowed to just personality-transplant a character like that....

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Feenix posted:

I thought that episode was fairly not-great. Iris was funnier and more likable, yea. But you're not allowed to just personality-transplant a character like that....

It's what happens when she becomes "Iris West" and not "Barry Love Interest".

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Feenix posted:

So would you prefer they just keep doing a lovely job of writing Iris because that's what they've been doing?

Feenix posted:

I didn't say that. Just that it wasn't a very good episode in my opinion and everyone acted like new personalities in the same old bodies.

If they'd planned to have Iris evolve and grow that's one thing but it strikes me that everyone just becomes a snarky wisecracking Mallrats character for one episode and then goes back to normal.

You realize Smith didn't write it, right?

Stunt Rock fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 11, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I didn't say that. Just that it wasn't a very good episode in my opinion and everyone acted like new personalities in the same old bodies.

If they'd planned to have Iris evolve and grow that's one thing but it strikes me that everyone just becomes a snarky wisecracking Mallrats character for one episode and then goes back to normal.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Not sure why the awful app added my reply as an edit but it did so there you go.

I also don't getting critique because this episode wasn't any quippier than the average episode of the Flash. "Suddenly Cisco is wisecracking. THANKS SILENT BOB."

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Stunt Rock posted:

You realize Smith didn't write it, right?

You could tell he didn't write it because it was coherent and the dialogue didn't make you want to slam your head against the table(more than usual).

You could tell he directed it because the most technical scenes were just stolen straight up from Guardians of the Galaxy.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
.....I just realized that the episode was one big pep talk.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

"Hey guys lets start writing Iris well."
"You madman! We can't just instantly make this character good, the audience will never buy it! Let's gradually do a less lovely job of writing her. That's what people want."

BrianWilly posted:

.....I just realized that the episode was one big pep talk.

Pep talks are the other source of Barry's powers.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Feenix posted:

Iris was the only one newly wisecracking and it came off natural because she was being exposed to poo poo that a lot of these guys that have been at this longer take for granted:

"You have a morgue for metas :raise:"

"Just because he got hit with dark matter doesn't make him a speedster. I gave you that mug"

Like I've said I hope it shows that they are going to make Iris the more grounded one because all of these people, even to an extent Joe, have been taking for granted the wacky sci-fi stuff they've been doing without slowing down to think "oh poo poo we shouldn't do this it's hosed".

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Stunt Rock posted:

Barry lost in the speed force, asking what he needs to do to get his powers back. A blur goes past. "You need to catch that."

Oh thank God, thinks Barry. A problem I have to solve by running faster. I was worried I'd have to go outside my comfort zone.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Fuego Fish posted:

Barry lost in the speed force, asking what he needs to do to get his powers back. A blur goes past. "You need to catch that."

Oh thank God, thinks Barry. A problem I have to solve by running faster. I was worried I'd have to go outside my comfort zone.

Yeah it was cheesy, but the scene were Barry grabs the shadow, watching it transform into FlashBarry, and then Barry turning around as the Flash again had me grinning. Great job with the score there too.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Iris was the only one newly wisecracking and it came off natural because she was being exposed to poo poo that a lot of these guys that have been at this longer take for granted:

"You have a morgue for metas :raise:"

"Just because he got hit with dark matter doesn't make him a speedster. I gave you that mug"

Like I've said I hope it shows that they are going to make Iris the more grounded one because all of these people, even to an extent Joe, have been taking for granted the wacky sci-fi stuff they've been doing without slowing down to think "oh poo poo we shouldn't do this it's hosed".

I agree. Iris was great this episode. I hope they keep it up but my expectations are low. When she's not being Iris West Love Interest, she should the grounded go getter audience surrogate.

A friend of mine was talking to Lila, who wrote an episode this season, and she said that apparently the producers were shocked when they found out the audience wanted Iris to do more than be Barry's love interest. Ugh.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

New one is up! http://imgur.com/a/6oLui

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
People who watched Arrow (or god forbid, are still watching Felicity and Friends for some reason) have known these producers are morons, especially when I comes to female characters, for years.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Maybe next season Kevin Smith can direct an episode where Barry gets absorbed into the weedforce instead.

It'll probably be the best episode of that season, too.

Stunt Rock fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 12, 2016

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Stunt Rock posted:

Maybe next season Kevin Smith can direct an episode where Barry gets absorbed into the weedforce instead.

Barry would need a forest of weed to get high.

Edit; or some Cisco-bred superweed variant

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Stunt Rock posted:

Next season, medical marijuana is legalized in central city. Cisco can no longer make power bars. Kevin Smith tells Barry what he's gonna have to do to eat that much.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Not going to lie, I did look out for an appearance by Cockknocker in the crowd of metas at the end.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So wait, is Citizen Cold a thing on Earth-2 or did we just see not-Snart Captain Cold in that shot of the metas?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Scyantific posted:

So wait, is Citizen Cold a thing on Earth-2 or did we just see not-Snart Captain Cold in that shot of the metas?

Snart's the Mayor on Earth-2.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

DoctorWhat posted:

Snart's the Mayor on Earth-2.

They just said "Mayor Snart," they never said the first name. Could be his dad that's the mayor if they wanted to use an E-2 Leonard for something else.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Stunt Rock posted:

He just got a pep talk from the Speedforce, he is gonna run sooo fast now

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
For four or five episodes maybe. By episode two or three of season three he'll be needing to get faster and angsting over it again.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

tsob posted:

For four or five episodes maybe. By episode two or three of season three he'll be needing to get faster and angsting over it again.

Barry you face your biggest enemy ever, The Fly Paper Man.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
It really feels like they had the story beats for this season nailed down early, and then put no thought into how to tie them together. And just like the Star Wars prequels, it can actually sound pretty cool someone tells you the overall story arc.

They wanted a fake Jay Garrick, a real Harrison Wells, a trip to Earth-2, Zoom stealing Barry's powers and him having to work as a normal person for a while, then have to go to the speedforce to get his powers back and come to peace with his mom's death. Cisco starts to become Vibe, and we set up Gorilla Grodd and Wally West/Jesse Quick for the future.

Legends of Tomorrow was really an albatross around the first half's neck, too.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Barry you can do it. You just need more believes in yourself.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Zoom is going to lose because no one will be around to give him a pep talk because he's a loser with no friends and people only pretend to be his friend because they feel sorry for him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

They really had literally nothing that could deal with that guy? Wells' gun that he used on King Shark wouldn't do anything?

Also, Christ Barry. Really couldn't exert yourself to tell Cisco that you gotta get your powers back first?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

So is there a screencap and a list of the crowd Zoom was speaking to yet? Or was it just a bunch of generic Halloween costumes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There are no recognizable characters in the shot.

• Locked thread