Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, sounds like it might be Xenon.

Pictures:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

It's totally Xenon, thanks!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I played this game on a teacher's laptop in the early 90s. It was vaguely adventure RPG/hack and slash for the time. Black and white (though that may have just been the laptop's hardware limitations), top down, simple cartoony sprites, square grid tiles, and keyboard controls.

The only thing I properly remember was that there was a castle near where you started the game with a treasure room that could be broken into and looted. This would pull all of the guards, but if you got away you'd have a poo poo ton of gold and (maybe?) some magic stuff.

I think everything paused when you weren't moving the character, but combat was otherwise in real time in that old bump-to-use-attack fashion.

I managed to find it some years after, but the game's speed was linked to clock speed so everything moved hilariously quickly. Pretty sure it was still in black and white.

stringless fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 11, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

DancinBrud posted:

It's totally Xenon, thanks!

No problem, you're welcome. Xenon is a favorite of mine in the "Trippy 80s sci-fi artwork" categories of pinball tables.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

FFT posted:

I played this game on a teacher's laptop in the early 90s. It was vaguely adventure RPG/hack and slash for the time. Black and white (though that may have just been the laptop's hardware limitations), top down, simple cartoony sprites, square grid tiles, and keyboard controls.

The only thing I properly remember was that there was a castle near where you started the game with a treasure room that could be broken into and looted. This would pull all of the guards, but if you got away you'd have a poo poo ton of gold and (maybe?) some magic stuff.

I think everything paused when you weren't moving the character, but combat was otherwise in real time in that old bump-to-use-attack fashion.

I managed to find it some years after, but the game's speed was linked to clock speed so everything moved hilariously quickly. Pretty sure it was still in black and white.

MAYBE: http://www.mobygames.com/game/castle-of-the-winds

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Nope. At the very least the castle wasn't randomized, and the world was completely tiled (albeit with simple graphics).

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Hey man you're a true friend. Many thanks from my brother and I. You are 100% correct and were both downloading it on steam now.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

FFT posted:

Nope. At the very least the castle wasn't randomized, and the world was completely tiled (albeit with simple graphics).

Could it possibly be one of the AD&D PC games?

Edit: actually, you know what? I'm looking for one specifically as well so good opportunity to ask. It was an AD&D PC game that I believe was on 5.5 inch floppies and ran in DOS. These are the two things I remember.

1. One of the first enemies you encountered were horses called NightMare or KnightMare. I never could defeat them because at the time I was so young I couldn't operate any video game more complex than run and shoot.

2. The game actually came with a scenario or strategy guide with detailed maps. I remember not liking the game because I died instantly, but I studied those loving maps constantly because they were so cool.

The second part is the selling point on this, because to be fair I've just looked through a ton of screenshots and they all look the same to me.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 11, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

FFT posted:

One of the early Ultima games maybe?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Skunkrocker posted:

Edit: actually, you know what? I'm looking for one specifically as well so good opportunity to ask. It was an AD&D PC game that I believe was on 5.5 inch floppies and ran in DOS. These are the two things I remember.

1. One of the first enemies you encountered were horses called NightMare or KnightMare. I never could defeat them because at the time I was so young I couldn't operate any video game more complex than run and shoot.

2. The game actually came with a scenario or strategy guide with detailed maps. I remember not liking the game because I died instantly, but I studied those loving maps constantly because they were so cool.

The second part is the selling point on this, because to be fair I've just looked through a ton of screenshots and they all look the same to me.

So for AD&D games on PCs in that era you're gonna have to give us more.

Is the game first person with iso battles? First person with first person battles? Iso with iso battles on the same move screen?
4 person party or 6?
Nightmares being in the game is a good clue and thank you for that one. Detailed maps/strategy guides were available for all a lot of these things.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Skunkrocker posted:

It's been a long time but guessing this: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/death-knights-of-krynn

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Zanzibar Ham posted:

One of the early Ultima games maybe?
The tiles looked similar to Ultima II for mac, but the sprites were definitely more detailed. Black outlines, basic features.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

I'll check it out.

chairface posted:

So for AD&D games on PCs in that era you're gonna have to give us more.

Is the game first person with iso battles? First person with first person battles? Iso with iso battles on the same move screen?
4 person party or 6?
Nightmares being in the game is a good clue and thank you for that one. Detailed maps/strategy guides were available for all a lot of these things.

Not sure on party size, but the gameplay was not first person in the least.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

hot diggity drat i found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEA67hW2-Y8

now i just need to figure out how to emulate MacOS 6 on Windows 7~

stringless fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 12, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FFT posted:

Oh geeze, the description reminded me of Taskmaker, which would be pretty awesome to get running on a modern computer. IIRC Basilisk and SheepSaver are the go-to MacOS emulators?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

We're in the right area. But maybe not the right game, either that or the pdf I was looking in wasn't the right one. For sure looks like the game and the Adventurer's Journal had maps similar to the ones I was talking about.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FFT posted:

I'll help you get started and point out Mini vMac, an emulator. But you're on your own from there. Took me a whole afternoon setting up a Macintosh install which requires using esoteric programs to format a virtual hard drive and sadly I've forgotten all the steps it took getting there.

But hey, I got to play the best version of Might & Magic 1!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
BTW the site linked in that video, Macintosh Garden, helped me track down the game I posted about twice in this thread to no avail: Time Treks.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 12, 2016

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

So after glancing through every Adventurer's Journal for every SSI AD&D game I was becoming increasingly frustrated because the book I was looking for wasn't there, so I decided to glance back at the Mobygames page to see what was up and saw the words "clue book."

gently caress. Yes. These are the books I'm looking for, now to find that specific game. Thanks so much for your help!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

al-azad posted:

I'll help you get started and point out Mini vMac, an emulator. But you're on your own from there. Took me a whole afternoon setting up a Macintosh install which requires using esoteric programs to format a virtual hard drive and sadly I've forgotten all the steps it took getting there.
it took at least a couple of hours (mostly because stuffit and then complications due to whatever version of the game i downloaded first) but i got it running!

it's still just as fun now trying to run out of the castle with the treasury as it was back then

pretty sure there's some plot that's intended but, eh

stringless fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 12, 2016

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

By the way, exactly right. The cluebook for this one was the one I was looking for. Thanks again for your help.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Skunkrocker posted:

By the way, exactly right. The cluebook for this one was the one I was looking for. Thanks again for your help.

No problem. Play the whole trilogy if you can; it's great.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I've been having little luck searching for a game I remember that was "hidden" on a shareware CD (on the disc, but not indexed in the little readme thing that was on it). I think it was a Wayzata disc?

The most I can remember about it is that it was a Dragon Quest clone, complete with combat that's kinda a box over the map, and the towns and such looked like they'd fit in Ultima IV (IIRC building names were set down as text in tiles like in Ultima)

Oh, and it ran on DOS

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Wasn't Warrior Dragon was it?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Nah, the graphics were significantly simpler.

I think it had "sword" in the name somewhere, not that that really narrows it down much.

Rudicron
Oct 30, 2013

It's Lunchtime!

Get yourself a hotdog!

a medical mystery posted:

Nah, the graphics were significantly simpler.

I think it had "sword" in the name somewhere, not that that really narrows it down much.

Would it have been Sword Quest or its sequel, Sword Quest 2?

I've got a tricky one here.
An adventure game, on the Amiga, ran in a window under Workbench, came out before 1988.
Point of view was fixed first-person, graphics were basically filled shapes.
I think there was some point-and-click involved, though that's more deduction from it being on Workbench.

What I can remember is a couple of rooms and their gimmicks.
One was an Archery range, crossing it would get me shot.
The other that I can definitely remember was a large room with three differently colored ladders leading up to a ledge with a door, but interacting with any of the ladders would cause them all to disintegrate and drop me onto the floor (possibly killing me).
Here's an artist's rendition.

I think there was another room that had a goblet (which was poisoned) in it.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Rudicron posted:

I've got a tricky one here.
An adventure game, on the Amiga, ran in a window under Workbench, came out before 1988.
Point of view was fixed first-person, graphics were basically filled shapes.
I think there was some point-and-click involved, though that's more deduction from it being on Workbench.

What I can remember is a couple of rooms and their gimmicks.
One was an Archery range, crossing it would get me shot.
The other that I can definitely remember was a large room with three differently colored ladders leading up to a ledge with a door, but interacting with any of the ladders would cause them all to disintegrate and drop me onto the floor (possibly killing me).
Here's an artist's rendition.

I think there was another room that had a goblet (which was poisoned) in it.

Jewels of Darkness maybe? That had a text parser but ran under workbench. There were 3 games in the pack: Colossal Adventure, Adventure Quest and Dungeon Adventure.

Rudicron
Oct 30, 2013

It's Lunchtime!

Get yourself a hotdog!

chairface posted:

Jewels of Darkness maybe? That had a text parser but ran under workbench. There were 3 games in the pack: Colossal Adventure, Adventure Quest and Dungeon Adventure.

I don't think any of those were it; the art in Jewels of Darkness seems static, and this game had a bit of animation of the ladders disintegrating. Also, I couldn't find anything like the rooms I remember.

I also don't think it's Transylvania, Crimson Crown, or Oo-Topos either; didn't have any luck running those under WB.

I think the action in this one took place in a single complex; I don't remember going outside at all, in fact, I think that was the goal of the game.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Rudicron posted:

Would it have been Sword Quest or its sequel, Sword Quest 2?

Sword Quest was definitely it, thank you!

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
So it was a somewhat early 3d CRPG, sort of in the vain of Neverwinter Nights. The only two things I remember about it were that it had the inventory made of blocks system that Neverwinter Nights had and one of the things you can do in the game. There's a building on fire and you can rush in to save a kid with the female lead casting a spell on you to help you survive. After you rescue the kid, she berates you for being stupid enough to run into a building on fire.

Edit: I hope my memories of Lufia the Legend Returns aren't effecting that last bit. I know that basically happens there too, but I'm pretty sure it happens here as well.

Sonseray
Apr 15, 2009
What game is the outro music (timestamp 50:00) from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1jAOG_LTcc

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
This isn't much to go on, but:

I'm trying to remember a DOS-based RPG game that I picked up from a local BBS some time in the very early 90s. It might have been shareware/freeware, but knowing me it probably wasn't. I never really got the chance to play it, so all I can remember is that the game was set in some kind of underground kingdom (or maybe inside a mountain?). I also have the vague recollection that it was a pretty expansive game for its day, but I remember thinking it was pretty obscure even at the time.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Stathol posted:

I'm trying to remember a DOS-based RPG game that I picked up from a local BBS some time in the very early 90s. It might have been shareware/freeware, but knowing me it probably wasn't. I never really got the chance to play it, so all I can remember is that the game was set in some kind of underground kingdom (or maybe inside a mountain?). I also have the vague recollection that it was a pretty expansive game for its day, but I remember thinking it was pretty obscure even at the time.

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/magic-candle-series

Bob Morlock
Aug 22, 2012

Sonseray posted:

What game is the outro music (timestamp 50:00) from?
It's from this one game called Legend of Dragoon, namely the "Indels Castle" theme. For some reason I want to say its been sped up/remixed slightly for the outro, though I might be wrong.

Stathol posted:

It really isn't much to go on, but... how about Ultima Underworld? I'd say it ticks all the boxes. Definitely not shareware/freeware, though.

Bob Morlock fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 29, 2016

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Stathol posted:

I don't know how well the platform fits, but the game description + shareware fits Spiderweb Software's Exile series.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Stathol posted:

Do you remember anything else at all? Like, top down vs. isometric vs. first person? Single character or party based? Realtime or turn based?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FFT posted:

I don't know how well the platform fits, but the game description + shareware fits Spiderweb Software's Exile series.

Pretty sure the Exile series on Windows postdates DOS, though. It took awhile for the games to get ported to Windows.

EDIT: dur, and you said you weren't sure about the platform. :downs:

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

Bob Morlock posted:

It really isn't much to go on, but... how about Ultima Underworld? I'd say it ticks all the boxes. Definitely not shareware/freeware, though.

FFT posted:

It's definitely not Ultima Underworld, and as far as I can tell it's neither of these series, either. I can also say that it's definitely not any of the Avernum games.

ToxicFrog posted:

Do you remember anything else at all? Like, top down vs. isometric vs. first person? Single character or party based? Realtime or turn based?

What I remember most clearly i a top-down map in similar vein as the area maps in SNES-era FF games (i.e. the parts that aren't world-map). The map palette was mostly black with dark blue, dark cyan, etc. I can't recall if it was EGA or VGA. I remember one of the selling points was that apparently this thing went 50+ levels deep. I don't remember if it was procedural. I believe it was single-character rather than party. I don't think I ever got to the combat, though.

Other vague recollections: I want to say that the game begins with speaking to the king of ... the dwarves, maybe?

I've found this guy asking on multiple forums about a game that sounds very similar. No answer on any of them.

Some dude posted:

Here's one: played it in the 90's on windows 3.11 at best. rpg, top down view. medi-evil fantasy setting (magic and goblins and stuff) plot: a darkness (literally a dark cloud) is slowly consuming the kingdom and the only to stop it is to collect something (i think the crowns) from the 5,6 or 7 seven kings in the world to open a portal in order to confront the sorcerer or whatever it is that is causing the darkness. there is a limited amount of time, because you can't visit a place once the darkness has covered a place. it starts from the south (bottom of the map) where you go first for the first crown. i think it is the dwarf kingdom and i think you go underground. i think it take about 50-75 days for the darkness to cover up until the portal and this game can make that you have to restart the game midway by being caught by the darkness if you didn't plan well.
I don't remember anything about collecting crowns or a spreading darkness, but it's certainly possible. Maybe the same game; maybe not, but it sounds like my best lead right now.

Stathol fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 29, 2016

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Late 90s mac edutainment game where you are a colonist in Jamestown(?), grow tobacco, and buy slaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
RPG

A top-down game outside, fps in dungeons.

Windows 3.11, most likely. Very unlikely to be 95 and on.

The first level was full of red? ants.

Food and drink maybe were a mechanic.

Not Yendorian Tales 2.