Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

darth cookie posted:

Z3n (and the rest of CA, but Z3n in particular) how do you feel about the CB1300?

I'm going to go sit on one tomorrow to find out if the ergo is right.

I wouldn't buy one personally - big, heavy, underpowered. But they look awesome and if that's what makes you smile when you see it in the garage, you should buy it!

Sorta one of the wonderful thing about motorcycles is for the price of a cheap econo car you can get something that an rear end in a top hat on the Internet will poo poo for silly reasons - but it's still gorgeous, faster than any human needs, and loads of fun to ride.

Also, go ride it. Judge it based on how it feels underweigh, not standing in the showroom. The S1000XR feels meh in the showroom but great on the road, all the weight just disappears.

Anticipate the usual R/R issues, but it should be a very reliable, solid ride otherwise (no personal experience with it here).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm definitely going to take it for a ride. I want to find out what it's like in stop start traffic and the daily grind since that's where I do 95% of my riding. I suspect that despite the weight it'll actually be better in that kind of situation compared to my current bike because the riding position is better. I definitely won't be able to scythe through stopped traffic by lane splitting as much though.

Even if I love it, I won't be buying that specific example though since it's the wrong colour and it doesn't look like the previous owner took very good care of it. The seat has tears in it that I'm sure will soak up the rain and is rather faded. The plastics also look like they've spent an awful lot of time in the sun (as in, not "I've been ridden for miles sun" but "I've been left in the back yard in all weather for 5 years straight" sun). Sure it's a 10 year old bike but it looks really battered. Plus the dealer wants way too much money for it and no amount of discounting would be enough for me to take it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I've been rolling around the web and I've found the next bike I'm going to test if the CB1300 doesn't tickle me though. I've seen the Suzuki bandit 1250, and some of the slightly older models (a 2009 one I'm looking at in particular) has the old style round headlight I like and has disguised the digital speedo in a traditional round cluster of instruments. Plus there's something about that burgundy colour that appeals to me.

Anything I should look out for in one of those? I don't know much about big suzukis.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

darth cookie posted:

I've been rolling around the web and I've found the next bike I'm going to test if the CB1300 doesn't tickle me though. I've seen the Suzuki bandit 1250, and some of the slightly older models (a 2009 one I'm looking at in particular) has the old style round headlight I like and has disguised the digital speedo in a traditional round cluster of instruments. Plus there's something about that burgundy colour that appeals to me.

Anything I should look out for in one of those? I don't know much about big suzukis.

The round headlight is just a different letter in the model name, has nothing do to with how old or new it is. It's GSF-1250N by the way, but no seller will market a 1250 like that. However a lot of the older 1200 do have the round headlight, if you don't mind it being air cooled.

I'm not an expert, I just have one. Starter likes to explode, but I don't know how to check for that other than it won't start. Mine has also eaten a sensor, but an official dealer talked to suzuki netherlands and they never heard of such a thing happening. I'm eagerly awaiting the next thing to go pear shaped; I'll let you know when it does.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

What kind of sensor? ABS sensor? Also what year is yours for comparison? Do you mean you've had "a" problem with the starter, or a persistent, ongoing problem with the starter (or starters if you've had them replaced)?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The new fuel injected Bandit 1250's are sweet, and even more so in naked form.

They also make insane torque, much like the old 1200's did, except even more now.

Also the 1250's aren't air cooled, they're liquid cooled now

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

darth cookie posted:

What kind of sensor? ABS sensor? Also what year is yours for comparison? Do you mean you've had "a" problem with the starter, or a persistent, ongoing problem with the starter (or starters if you've had them replaced)?

Mines a 2007, but there are only minor changes between 2005/2007 and 2008/~. I think it was the intake air temperature sensor that poo poo the bed. All I know a new one would've cost 600€ but I got a lightly used one for 150. The starter itself broke; the magnets broke loose, jamming the whole thing. This starter problem is a "known" problem in that some people have this issue but you'll only hear of it when it breaks. Weirdly also about 600€ new, but I got another lightly used part for 200 this time.

And everything jim said.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Thanks for that. I did a bit of googling and found out the starter can be a bit of a weakness.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I'm just getting started with all of this stuff and so I'm turning to you guys for recommendations for cruiser-style bikes. I'm starting from square one - I earned my permit a couple of days ago, my CMSP classes start tomorrow, and I have most of the gear I need (no cycle-specific pants for now). Now I can focus on picking up something to ride.

So here's my current mindset on finding a bike: My uncle (who's been riding his whole life) implored me to skip the sport bikes and go straight for a cruiser, preferably a Yamaha. I respect his opinion and have no strong one of my own so I've been considering a Yamaha V Star 250. I'm also seeing good reviews with regards to the KYMCO Venox 250, though, and maybe a Hyosung GV250 as a comedy option? Basically, I'm fine with a smaller bike as A) I'm just starting out, and B) I'm planning on using it as a daily commuter on SoCal's 30-if-you're-lucky 405.

So what say you, CA? Am I on a good path?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

You'll get bored of the V Star imo, get a used VMAX

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

IAmKale posted:

Yes, very. Cruisers are comfortable and userfriendly with good fuel economy. They can have a bit weird ergonomics sometimes, but most stock handlebars and pegs shouldn't be too crazy. You can go a bit up in engine capacity as well, bigger bikes are equipped with better suspension and better brakes. I'd suggest a V-star 650. If budgetary or other reasons demand a 250, perhaps go for something that you can sell quickly again like a Ninja 250 - tell your uncle that someone on the internet said it's a standard bike, not a sport bike.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

IAmKale posted:

I'm just getting started with all of this stuff and so I'm turning to you guys for recommendations for cruiser-style bikes. I'm starting from square one - I earned my permit a couple of days ago, my CMSP classes start tomorrow, and I have most of the gear I need (no cycle-specific pants for now). Now I can focus on picking up something to ride.

So here's my current mindset on finding a bike: My uncle (who's been riding his whole life) implored me to skip the sport bikes and go straight for a cruiser, preferably a Yamaha. I respect his opinion and have no strong one of my own so I've been considering a Yamaha V Star 250. I'm also seeing good reviews with regards to the KYMCO Venox 250, though, and maybe a Hyosung GV250 as a comedy option? Basically, I'm fine with a smaller bike as A) I'm just starting out, and B) I'm planning on using it as a daily commuter on SoCal's 30-if-you're-lucky 405.

Not a lot of cruiser aficionados here, but I wouldn't go any smaller than a Vstar 650 / Honda VLX600 or Shadow 750 / Suzuki 800 or M50. The 250 really just isn't enough motor and the ergos on those bikes are cramped. Look at the Vstar 650, or Shadow 750. Price wise they are going to be similar to the Virago 250 (and very common on Craigslist) but are far more capable; they're bigger bikes but just as well suited to beginners. With cruisers, don't be afraid of the higher displacement motor. They're not designed for pants-creaming acceleration but for smooth, low end power that is easily controllable on the street. Cruisers also have low CoG and low seat height which is good for confidence despite their increased weight (over sport bikes).

That said, CA's go to beginner bikes are the Ninja 250 and SV650. Light, cheap, easy to maintain, parts are everywhere, very forgiving bikes that can handle freeways if they have to.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
There are a billion farkled-out V-Strom 650s and 1000s out there with higher mileage (30,000km+) out there for pretty low prices. Anything to watch out for or certain years to stick to/avoid with these things?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

IAmKale posted:

I'd bump your displacement target up. The 250 will not get it done. Look at Vstar 650s they are about a dime a dozen and less frustratingly slow. Hell a 1100 won't kill you, but you better have leg strength.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

There are a billion farkled-out V-Strom 650s and 1000s out there with higher mileage (30,000km+) out there for pretty low prices. Anything to watch out for or certain years to stick to/avoid with these things?

Other than me destroying my Vstrom I'd say it's a good bike. There's a few people on the stormtrooper forum with over 100k miles, and one person recently hit 400k on theirs. There's a very common clutch chudder, but I'm not certain it's a real issue though other than being annoying. I haven't read that deep into it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VERTiG0 posted:

It's essentially a tall sv650 or 1000, so they should be pretty bulletproof. Lots of SV's don't live easy lives and they live forever

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

IAmKale posted:

Yeah cruisers don't put out nearly the power per displacement that other bikes do, that's why you're being told to bump up your displacement target. Kawasaki has a Vulcan S that has the ergofit system that might be worth a look. Also don't discount a Ninja 300 or GS500 etc. if you see a good deal on one as you do sit pretty upright on those. If you were entertaining the comedy option of the Hyosung GV250, be aware that Hyosung has a stretched out SV called the GV650 (don't do this).

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Huh, I just stumbled upon a small independent dealership in my hometown selling a 2013 V Star 650 for $4000. Less than 5500 miles on the odometer. That seems like a good deal, and in fact when I called about it the guy made it sound like it was a typo but he'd honor it all the same.

Do you guys think this is something worth pursuing?

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
KBB is $4,400, most likely you'll end up with that or more OTD. If you like it, check it out, but ask him what the out the door price is.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

IAmKale posted:

Huh, I just stumbled upon a small independent dealership in my hometown selling a 2013 V Star 650 for $4000. Less than 5500 miles on the odometer. That seems like a good deal, and in fact when I called about it the guy made it sound like it was a typo but he'd honor it all the same.

Do you guys think this is something worth pursuing?

heh, "typo" man you sure are going to get a good deal! only one of a kind! very few models left! sale, sale sale! ending soon!

Here's a similar one. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/5574781751.html

little bit older for cheaper. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/5580043455.html

"need to sell for financial reasons" = lowball me. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/mcy/5549010900.html

OBO http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/5572313260.html

I don't know what your money situation is like but it looks like you could probably get a honda shadow for about $2k so why not spend half as much and then when you've had some time riding and realize that what you really want is the husqvarna 701SM you can sell the shadow for what you bought it for and it won't matter that you dropped it in the driveway a couple of times.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I started riding a gz250, a silly little cruiser that couldn't do 70mph, but still went power sliding in the rain, got 75 mpg and i loved every minute of it. Then again, I'm in the city so your priorities may vary. The Yamaha 250 is leaps and bounds better than my old turd. The reason ninja 250 is such a good bike is because it's very neutral and light. A light neutral cruiser, of there is such thing, would be shadow 600 or Suzuki s650. Shadow 750 is a 500lbs+ bike, beware. It matters for when you forget to put the kickstand down and have to catch it with your legs. Or do a tight U-turn.

Then again, my advise to everyone is to learn on a standard neutral bike, and then switch over to whatever you like. GS500 is such bike.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

I don't know what your money situation is like but it looks like you could probably get a honda shadow for about $2k so why not spend half as much and then when you've had some time riding and realize that what you really want is the husqvarna 701SM you can sell the shadow for what you bought it for and it won't matter that you dropped it in the driveway a couple of times.
Speaking of dual sport, I started researching a few of them as well. Any thoughts on something like the Suzuki DR-Z400S? How about a Yamaha FZ-07?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Great choice for a first bike. It's very popular, has a huge aftermarket and can take massive amounts of abuse - like being given ritual birth to on salt flats, flattening postboxes or roadside abandonment. You can ride one to the end of the world and they will be able to fix it there, to wit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560508

Obviously very different ergonomics from the V-star. Try sitting on both at a dealer if you can, you should feel pretty quickly if either one won't work out. My subjective comfort metaphors: A V-star is like a La-Z-Boy, with highway pegs it's like a La-Z-Boy with a lever for the leg thing. A DRZ is like sitting on the 2" side of a 2 by 4.

This is more of a naked sportbike. It has a very punchy crossplane twin which is too powerful for a first bike. 75 horses IIRC and pretty angry ones as well. Another cardinal rule on this forum, don't buy a new bike as your first bike. You'll drop it. Dropping a new FZ-07 will cost you $1000-1500. Dropping a (used) DRZ will probably increase its value.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Am I the only one who thinks (upright) 600cc inline fours are rather good beginner bikes? They're pretty harmless below 7k rpm and beginners tend to shift way before that. As an added bonus they are almost two-in-one bikes. When you get comfortable with the low rev power you can just unlock warp drive at 8k.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Yea I think it's just you.

Not dick answer: the problem is when a new rider gets in a panic situation or just whiskey throttles it, they're gonna hit that power band unintentionally.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Depending which bike, maybe. I mean the ergos and steering and brakes and engine aren't nearly as unforgiving on a bandit as they are on a gsxr.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

IAmKale posted:

Speaking of dual sport, I started researching a few of them as well. Any thoughts on something like the Suzuki DR-Z400S? How about a Yamaha FZ-07?

DRZs are great but suffer from having more vibrations than twins (single big cylinder) and a rock hard seat (hello http://www.seatconcepts.com/store/) and from eventually converting everyone who rides them into a hooligan. However, they have a serious advantage in that you can crash them into a mailbox and $10 worth of duct tape later it's literally as good as new. FZ-07 is not a dual sport bike. Don't let anyone on the internet tell you a bike over 350lbs is a dual sport bike. That's because they're too heavy to pick up when you crash in the dirt. Which you will. And it will be great. Also, if you end up buying a dual sport bike you will end up riding back from a trip to baja in a year, desperately trying to figure out how to do that instead of whatever else it is you actually do with your life.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I started off on the driving school's 650 Bandits, eventually getting an FZ6 myself. I can't remember the power band ever surprising me on either bikes. Actually, I remember really having to push myself not to shift at 4k. I still shift at 6k or maybe 8k :aaa: if i'm in the mood for excitement. I guess I'm not really an i4 person.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is this too much bike for someone who has zero dirt riding experience? I want a two-stroke but I'm also thinking something more relaxed and tractable would be a better first choice. But it's a two-stroke and the price is right.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

something more relaxed and tractable

Just get a Honda instead?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/dirt-bikes/auction-1083014961.htm

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah but that's an aircooled four stroke with like five horsepower, substantially worse condition and (to my eyes) shittier suspension/brakes.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Yeah but that's an aircooled four stroke with like five horsepower, substantially worse condition and (to my eyes) shittier suspension/brakes.

Anyone with riding experience and who is aware that even a 250cc two stroke can potentially eat your face should be fine. You going purely offroad or looking at any dual sports?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Purely offroad, being street legal adds like $1500. I just want a dirt bike to gently caress around with and learn dirtbike stuff but I also don't want to feel like I've bought something too slow and lovely to keep for a while. Semi-modern suspension and tyres and brakes would be nice which is why the husky caught my eye.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

How many footpaths you gonna take it on? :v:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Purely offroad, being street legal adds like $1500. I just want a dirt bike to gently caress around with and learn dirtbike stuff but I also don't want to feel like I've bought something too slow and lovely to keep for a while. Semi-modern suspension and tyres and brakes would be nice which is why the husky caught my eye.

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssss

You can get throttle tamers for two strokes too. But I'd think you'll be fine as long as you don't just rip it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coredump posted:

How many footpaths you gonna take it on? :v:

I think I'm safe now because the nagging neighbour moved out and, ironically, her relatives moved in who have two quads, three dirt bikes and all of them only seem to ever get used at the park around the corner and to get to and from the park around the corner. It's a funny old world.

builds character posted:

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssss

You can get throttle tamers for two strokes too. But I'd think you'll be fine as long as you don't just rip it.

How different are they to roadgoing 2t's? Do they have a powervalve and are they still super peaky with nothing down low?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

I think I'm safe now because the nagging neighbour moved out and, ironically, her relatives moved in who have two quads, three dirt bikes and all of them only seem to ever get used at the park around the corner and to get to and from the park around the corner. It's a funny old world.

How different are they to roadgoing 2t's? Do they have a powervalve and are they still super peaky with nothing down low?

I've never ridden a road going 2t, sorry. Yes and yes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I've been clocked on a yz250 supermoto at 93mph.

Get a 125. you'll hate yourself less when you whiskey that fucker playing in mud or if that dumb rock jumps out at you.
If you have *really* good health insurance, CR500 with a big bore kit. :D

IAmKale posted:

Get the fuckin' dr-z. Learn how to ride over curbs and pop lovely wheelies. My first was a 4 pot 600cc. ain' nothing compares to supermoto/dualsport bullshittery.
and drat sure don't get a 4 pot 600cc as a first bike.

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat
Test rode a Street Twin today. It really does fix pretty much all the problems with the Bonneville. I went in to the dealership to check out a Newchurch bonnie (gorgeous), ended up riding the twin and a bonnie for comparison.

Arg, I think I'm going to buy a new bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

makka-setan posted:

Actually, I remember really having to push myself not to shift at 4k. I still shift at 6k or maybe 8k :aaa: if i'm in the mood for excitement. I guess I'm not really an i4 person.

If I were only allowed to shift at peak power, I'd never get above 4th gear. Shifting at like 4-6k I get 30-40hp, the equivalent of wringing out an EX300 or moderately pushing a CBR500. It's an acceptable amount of power for getting from A to B and gets me fair gas mileage to boot.

And then like you say, if I want excitement I just shift later (aka shift never when I realise I've just effortlessly blown past a ton in 4th and redline is still another 3000rpm away :supaburn:)

If this is a wrong way to ride then I don't want to be right.