Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Tykero posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTlz7jlg0Ng

I know this doesn't really prove anything but I was able to replicate that other video using nothing but a wolf ring +1 for my poise source.

I don't really have the time or energy to actually prove anything. It's clear that there's something there, though. At the very least there's a difference between zero and non-zero poise.

Yes. Poise still effectively does nothing because nobody has zero poise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

argondamn posted:

Yes. Poise still effectively does nothing because nobody has zero poise.

Yeah, that particular aspect is basically meaningless, but it's there.

I'm willing to bet that there's more to it than that, though.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
And scientifically, nothing actually is something. Just like player poise.

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

Yeah this is really the worst part. It's not that he's wrong - I was wrong about a lot of poo poo on my first playthrough. It's that he's so confident in his rightness and states it as immediate fact and disregards everything that contradicts his assumption out of hand. I couldn't handle more than a few episodes of this guy. Whoever he was playing with seemed cool, can't remember his name, wasn't very experienced, but i kept watching and hoping he'd just hand the controller off to the other guy and let him do his thing.

Their DS2 playthrough where Woolie played and Pat guided him was pretty good but even then there were episodes where Pat would go on long diatribes about how much DS2 sucks and would quote that terrible matthewmatosis video verbatim.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Tykero posted:

Yeah, that particular aspect is basically meaningless, but it's there.

I'm willing to bet that there's more to it than that, though.

Fortunately people have done testing and found out that, no, there isn't.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Why are people so stuck on poise when the game plays great without it? Do people still think From accidentally left it off? Also, if they made poise work how it did before, they'd have to reintroduce medium roll again, else we'll have everyone sitting at 69.9% equip load with high armor, poise, and fast roll. Screw that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

YancyQ posted:

Their DS2 playthrough where Woolie played and Pat guided him was pretty good but even then there were episodes where Pat would go on long diatribes about how much DS2 sucks and would quote that terrible matthewmatosis video verbatim.

It's pretty great in the Dks3 vids, Pat keeps trying to get Woolie to be down on Dks2 and Woolie just no-sells it.

Also everyone should watch the episode of their LP where they go through the Carthus Catacombs, its loving great.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

central dogma posted:

Why are people so stuck on poise when the game plays great without it? Do people still think From accidentally left it off? Also, if they made poise work how it did before, they'd have to reintroduce medium roll again, else we'll have everyone sitting at 69.9% equip load with high armor, poise, and fast roll. Screw that.

When so many items explicitly reference it, and it does nothing, yes, it seems strange. They tell the player in game that poise is a mechanic they should use and value, but it isn't one that functionally exists. They might as well tell us, "this armor adds +3.6 to sick nasty kick flips" for all that it means to the game itself.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lotish posted:

When so many items explicitly reference it, and it does nothing, yes, it seems strange. They tell the player in game that poise is a mechanic they should use and value, but it isn't one that functionally exists. They might as well tell us, "this armor adds +3.6 to sick nasty kick flips" for all that it means to the game itself.

RIP dark wood grain ring, too good for this world

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

central dogma posted:

Because it would be nice of this cool Lothric spear had something with a clearly tangible result, instead of a passive buff to your poise stat that only accomplishes either nothing, or ????

Etc. It's not JUST that Player Poise is turned "Off", where getting hit so much as once by literally anything without hyper armor or specialized weapon arts knocks you out of your attack, while fighting PvE enemies who get to tank some hits.

It's all the leftovers that were clearly intended to do something, but now, for all intents and purposes, do not. So even if turning off player poise in the files was a last second decision "It's intentional it's off, deal with it", it was a rushed sloppy hack job without any cleanup.

If, if, more if, because no clear answer from the people selling or making this game to us what it actually DOES. Beyond "Pffft, it's clearly doing it's job :rolleyes: you just don't get it, and no we're not going to tell you what it does."

EDIT: A hearty "gently caress you, we're not turning it on, deal with it" would at least be more straightforward. Compared to vague shrug answers that don't actually clear anything up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

cheetah7071 posted:

RIP dark wood grain ring, too good for this world

Pouring out a 15 sip estus.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

central dogma posted:

Obviously a lot of people don't think the game plays great without it. Everything posted about poise + hyper armor in the last few pages is completely baffling and I have no idea how any of it works. There's a clear problem with a mechanic if it is completely incomprehensible to everyone. In the game itself, it's really frustrating to get staggered by absolutely everything no matter what, unless you are using one of the weapons that arbitrarily decides to let you take hits at vague times during swings. Which is not something you can have confidence in.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

central dogma posted:

straight sword spotted

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

central dogma posted:

It would be nice if there was any gameplay reason to use heavy armor. Heavy armor is cool.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
If I had known that poise was useless I wouldn't have bothered putting like 37 vitality or whatever.

I mean sure, I WANTED to roll around in Dark souls 2 Cover Art armor, with a second weapon and without havel's, but that isn't the point.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Section Z posted:

Supposedly (I have not checked myself) Different talisman's have different amount of "Now you can tank poo poo!" Like, Sunlight talisman is supposed to have a good one, while Saint's talisman is supposed to have a lame one.

This is true.

Unfaltering Prayer activates two effects.

One appears to be the actual glow, the other is the hyper armor.

Sunless Talisman for example calls 6940, while Sunlight Talisman calls 6950.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Sindai posted:

It would be nice if there was any gameplay reason to use heavy armor. Heavy armor is cool.

Well, there is in the sense that the heavier you are the more hyper armor you (apparently) get.

Which means never ever invest in vitality and just lumber around like an elephant on its hind legs.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lotish posted:

Well, there is in the sense that the heavier you are the more hyper armor you get.

Which means never ever invest in vitality and just lumber around like an elephant on its hind legs.

Did the tests mention if by "heavy" they meant equip % or weight #? If it's the former then vitality is garbage other than a way to get a trivial amount of extra defense.

It would be worth something if 30 weight, no matter what your % is, gave you more moon magic invincibility than 20 weight does.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just won a 4v1 because the blue helper gave up and crystaled out after I kept dodging around him for 5 minutes. Blues not used to working for their ears.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Lotish posted:

That's a fair point. Are we still sure poise does nothing though? I thought there was some evidence it added some amount of hyperarmor to weapon swings, but I'm not sure if that was found through science or pseudoscience.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Digirat posted:

Obviously a lot of people don't think the game plays great without it. Everything posted about poise + hyper armor in the last few pages is completely baffling and I have no idea how any of it works. There's a clear problem with a mechanic if it is completely incomprehensible to everyone. In the game itself, it's really frustrating to get staggered by absolutely everything no matter what, unless you are using one of the weapons that arbitrarily decides to let you take hits at vague times during swings. Which is not something you can have confidence in.

Yes you're an idiot baby, we get it.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The word "poise" has lost all meaning to me now. Thanks, thread.

Also this

BillmasterCozb posted:

I couldn't get enough wrinkles on his face :smith:

loving owns.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

DkS2 had poise system that was marginally different* from DkS1 and yet nobody really min-maxed for it because From actually took the time to balance poise and poise damage in a manner that made it no where near as vital as it was in DkS1. So yeah, poise can be implemented correctly.

*certain moves reduced poise damage and your "poise meter" refilled very slowly (unless your poise was broken, then it would be instant)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lotish posted:

They might as well tell us, "this armor adds +3.6 to sick nasty kick flips" for all that it means to the game itself.

That's strange, I don't recall Gundyr's armor saying that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Digirat posted:

Did the tests mention if by "heavy" they meant equip % or weight #? If it's the former then vitality is garbage other than a way to get a trivial amount of extra defense.

It would be worth something if 30 weight, no matter what your % is, gave you more moon magic invincibility than 20 weight does.

The tests mentioned that they got more hyper armor based on percentage, but I don't think they tested it at different weight caps--they only explicitly increased weight by equipping ultra greatswords in their spare weapon slots, breaking 100% equip load. I suppose throwing on a havel's to bring the percentage down (maybe swapping swords to keep the weight the same) and testing for differences would be the next step to see if its the percent or the number that matters, but it seems to be tied to the animations, which are affected by the percentage.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

argondamn posted:

DkS2 had poise

yet another b team mistake imo

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Grondoth posted:

straight sword spotted

Spiked mace, warden twinblades, or astora greatsword depending on build actually :hist101:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Ahhhhhhh, much better.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Do miracle buffs in this game stack? I have a bunch of cool buffs and a sunlight straight sword, but I'm wondering if I can just stack up before a fight and go to town.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Do miracle buffs in this game stack? I have a bunch of cool buffs and a sunlight straight sword, but I'm wondering if I can just stack up before a fight and go to town.

The sword's spell doesn't stack with sacred oath and removes Tears of Denial.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
I'm pretty sure people are upset about this whole thing because the presence of a stat on your character sheet that does literally nothing/almost literally nothing despite claims by the game and its developers to the contrary in 2016 is unacceptable from a design standpoint. How effective or not poise can be is immaterial to the problem at hand.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sick-nasty kickflips not mattering anymore goes hand in hand with equip load not affecting stamina regen below 70%.

May as well fashion it up forever because by the end of it you probably have enough sick-nasty kickflips to have hyperarmor work.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Grondoth posted:

The sword's spell doesn't stack with sacred oath and removes Tears of Denial.

How about Deep Protection? I'm guessing it probably overwrites it, but I'd like to be sure.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
Does Greirat gain anything of note if you send him to Lothric? I know he dies, I mean the ashes

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
For the first time, I've felt what it's like to be on the bad end of kicking someone down the stairwell to the Farron Keep bonfire

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Eldred posted:

Does Greirat gain anything of note if you send him to Lothric? I know he dies, I mean the ashes

Exploding and splintering bolts (aka the best bolts).

That being said:
Wanna meet that Edmond and see his trick weapons.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
On the subject of Greirat, is it even possible to have him come back from the castle alive, and if so what are the conditions?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Rokstar posted:

On the subject of Greirat, is it even possible to have him come back from the castle alive, and if so what are the conditions?

Not possible.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Do I want to hold out on softbans till at least the DLC comes out or do I want to give myself a mimic head large enough to encompass my whole body decisions decisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Dazzling Addar posted:

I'm pretty sure people are upset about this whole thing because the presence of a stat on your character sheet that does literally nothing/almost literally nothing despite claims by the game and its developers to the contrary in 2016 is unacceptable from a design standpoint. How effective or not poise can be is immaterial to the problem at hand.

It's extremely important to have principles.