Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

5x, using the scanner exclusively

I usually get prompted first thing in the morning when I wake up, once a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I could swear I've not even been getting it ever 3 days, but I guess maybe I just haven't noticed it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Gobbeldygook posted:

I was downloading hearthstone to my phone, a Verizon LG G2. It is a large download so the playstore asked if I wanted to use wifi only and I did. I was fussing with some other stuff on my phone while it was downloading and mid-download my phone hard locked and rebooted itself. When it came back, my wifi no longer worked. I can push the TURN WIFI ON button on various screens and it changes color but nothing actually happens. I cannot see any networks in the area because my wifi is off.

Things I have tried:

-Turning airplane mode on and off
-Restarting my phone
-Powering my phone off completely before turning it back on.
-Doing a system settings reset
-Doing a full factory reset

Nothing worked. What do I do now? I previously rooted my phone on a lark months ago but never installed anything that required root; are there some legitimate Advanced Trouble Shooting apps I can install? Is it even still rooted?
I'm quoting myself to say that I tried literally everything I could find in the internets and in this thread and none of it worked. I had just accepted that my phone's wifi wasn't working for now and was going to take it into shop at some point and see if they could fix it. My Anker USB charging cable was not connecting properly last night and I wanted to make sure my phone's alarm was working in the morning, so I turned on airplane mode so it wouldn't lose a ton of power searching for a tower (I have very bad reception at home) and left it plugged in that way over night. Got up this morning, turned airplane mode off, and my wifi works. :iiam:

edit: worked for a while and then stopped working again. :smith:

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 10, 2016

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Can anyone recommend a decent way to reliably block/blacklist a number?

Long story short, some guy is harassing my GF, but not to the level of "get the cops involved." Also it is sort of drug-related, in that's how he first got her number (he's like a friend of a friend of a friend and work got around she was looking for some pot, it made it to him, and he got her number and started trying to push stuff hard, and then saying things like "well if we go on a few dates I'll give you discount.")

Second generation Moto G, running 5.1 (I think...it's my GF's phone, I can check later, might only be 5.0.) on AT&T.

I've done some googling, and it looks like the answer is "gently caress you."

The only native way that I've seen on a stock Motorola is by adding the number to your contacts, and then from the options just telling it to go straight to voicemail. Nothing for SMS, though.

She tried a third-party app that basically just does the same thing, sends the call straight to voicemail. But to block SMS it has to be the default SMS app, and then it can't do MMS, and it doesn't so much stop the blacklisted texts as just shunt them off into another "window" of blocked texts. And obviously her curiosity gets the better of her and she reads them and gets upset.

AT&T seems to only offer number blocking as a service...I think $5 a month? Not terribly expensive, but it's just asinine that neither the phone or carrier will just block it for free. It's my understanding iPhone's have a decent blacklisting feature, so why in the gently caress does native Android not have this? Is there something about Android's underlying architecture that prevents this?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Nexus 5x monthly security update also includes some additional kernel patches pulled from the N preview that improve memory management.

The upshot seems that it's significantly better even after the perf patches from last update.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Is the OTA available anywhere yet?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://android.googleapis.com/pack...from-MHC19Q.zip

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Is the OTA available anywhere yet?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/05/10/flash-all-the-things-may-2016-marshmallow-nexus-and-pixel-c-ota-roundup/

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's my understanding iPhone's have a decent blacklisting feature, so why in the gently caress does native Android not have this? Is there something about Android's underlying architecture that prevents this?

There is nothing in Android preventing it, it just isn't part of AOSP nor Motorola implementation.

Samsung has it, most OEMs have it, it's not part of vanilla Android because Google hasn't implemented it. When you ask for "Pure Android" like most people ask for you don't get call blocking. Yup you're stuck unless you're willing to pay, ran into the same thing myself with TMo awhile ago and decided maybe Touchwiz isn't so bad.

Edit: Correction apparently Nexus Devices now allow call and sms blocking via default apps.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 10, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Stick100 posted:

There is nothing in Android preventing it, it just isn't part of AOSP nor Motorola implementation.

Samsung has it, most OEMs have it, it's not part of vanilla Android because Google hasn't implemented it. When you ask for "Pure Android" like most people ask for you don't get call blocking. Yup you're stuck unless you're willing to pay, ran into the same thing myself with TMo awhile ago and decided maybe Touchwiz isn't so bad.

The Nexus's can do it, both call blocking and SMS blocking within Messenger

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thanks!

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent way to reliably block/blacklist a number?

[...]

She tried a third-party app that basically just does the same thing, sends the call straight to voicemail. But to block SMS it has to be the default SMS app, and then it can't do MMS, and it doesn't so much stop the blacklisted texts as just shunt them off into another "window" of blocked texts. And obviously her curiosity gets the better of her and she reads them and gets upset.

What about Truecaller?

https://www.truecaller.com/

For phone calls, I get a message that TrueCaller blocked it. It's not sent to voicemail. I haven't used it for texts but they claim it can block MMS. It's free and worth a shot.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

The Nexus's can do it, both call blocking and SMS blocking within Messenger

Thank you for the correction, good to know that Google got around to it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

lostleaf posted:

Just received the unlocked HTC 10 today. A few first impressions coming from someone who had a m7 and then a s6.

But most importantly how is it as a phone?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
A friend is a asking if a Moto G 3rd gen is better than his Galaxy S3. I take it there's not a simple yes or no answer?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

go3 posted:

But most importantly how is it as a phone?

Who buys a phone to use as a phone?

But seriously, I'm a hermit and I only used it to make one call to the wife and a hangout with the mom. Voice quality was no different from the m7 or the s6. I'm not sure how much better it can be.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

A friend is a asking if a Moto G 3rd gen is better than his Galaxy S3. I take it there's not a simple yes or no answer?

Yes it's better.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Infinitely better.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Skarsnik posted:

5x, using the scanner exclusively

I usually get prompted first thing in the morning when I wake up, once a day

I've used the 5x for a week and gotten it once. Get better fingerprints

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Bob A Feet posted:

I've used the 5x for a week and gotten it once. Get better fingerprints

I think the Cheeto dust on the fingerprints and/or reader will cause read failures.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I had to calibrate my 5X fingerprint reader a couple times until I captured the right angles for unlocking one-handed. Now it's great.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I loving love the 6P's fingerprint scanner, it's a way more natural position than the home button on Samsung phones, and it's very quick and reliable.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tamba posted:

It's 3 days at the moment, and there doesn't seem to be a way to change it.
Never noticed that. I use the pattern unlock several times a day, usually whenever my phone is already on my desk when I need to unlock it and don't feel like picking it up.

But I still love the 6P fingerprint scanner. Would be nice if it had the same scanner *also* on the front, but its not a big deal.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

lostleaf posted:

Just received the unlocked HTC 10 today.

-they block tethering on att despite being an unlocked phone. i was expecting it but it still pisses me off.
I was happy to find tethering was working on my unlocked S7 with AT&T. Haven't used it since I had a jailbroken iPhone 5, though I do recall AT&T threatening to kill my unlimited data plan if I abused it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
So, I busted the hell out of my 2014 Moto X. The screen is a) shattered and b) doesn't turn on. I'm not certain if it's registering touches as I can't see it doing anything. Helpfully, I could still use Bluetooth calling on the rental car I was using, but now I returned it and my car isn't setup for Bluetooth calling (long story).

The phone is currently on and plugged in. I have it encrypted. If I lose power, I'll never be able to unlock it because, see above.

Is there a way for me to wipe the phone without using the screen? I know the data should be safe with encryption, but I'd rather give it a reformat.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Uthor posted:

So, I busted the hell out of my 2014 Moto X. The screen is a) shattered and b) doesn't turn on. I'm not certain if it's registering touches as I can't see it doing anything. Helpfully, I could still use Bluetooth calling on the rental car I was using, but now I returned it and my car isn't setup for Bluetooth calling (long story).

The phone is currently on and plugged in. I have it encrypted. If I lose power, I'll never be able to unlock it because, see above.

Is there a way for me to wipe the phone without using the screen? I know the data should be safe with encryption, but I'd rather give it a reformat.

Did you turn on adb before you broke it?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Uthor posted:

Of course, how familiar are you with Linux/the command line?

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Woke up this morning to all the permissions for apps in my Pure resetted. Whatsapp couldn't pull the contact list, Spotify couldn't find the SD, etc.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Whizbang posted:

Did you turn on adb before you broke it?

I don't believe I did.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Of course, how familiar are you with Linux/the command line?

Not very. Is there a guide I could look at.

I think I have Find My Phone (or whatever it's called) set up. Maybe I should try sending a remote wipe to it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

I don't believe I did.

Not very. Is there a guide I could look at.

If you didn't turn it on a guide can't help you.

Uthor posted:

I think I have Find My Phone (or whatever it's called) set up. Maybe I should try sending a remote wipe to it?

The controls for that are here.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cool, thanks.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

If you didn't turn it on a guide can't help you.
Why is ADB needed? Just wipe it with fastboot? Is that blocked by Motorola?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Whoa what happened to your av?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

My 2013 Moto X just received a security update. I was sure a year ago there would be no more updates for this thing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Why is ADB needed? Just wipe it with fastboot? Is that blocked by Motorola?

It is blocked by carrier Motorolas or at least used to be. Also you need a special Motorola fastboot (which you can find by searching for mfastboot).

butt dickus posted:

Whoa what happened to your av?

VAPORWAVE  AESTHETIC

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
My 5X won't connect to my office WiFi network. It just says "Authenticating..." for a few seconds and then goes back to "Saved". Every other WiFi network I've tried works fine, including my home network that I'm on for hours on end.

I've made it forget the network, turned WiFi on and off, put it into and out of airplane mode, restarted the phone multiple times, booted into recovery prompt and done some sort of "network cache flush" thing that Google suggested... all the other solutions I can find appear to be factory reset or root. Anyone have this issue or any thoughts on ways to fix it? It's kind of awkward since the signal out here is actually really bad and I'd like to at least be able to receive emergency texts.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

My 5X won't connect to my office WiFi network. It just says "Authenticating..." for a few seconds and then goes back to "Saved". Every other WiFi network I've tried works fine, including my home network that I'm on for hours on end.

I've made it forget the network, turned WiFi on and off, put it into and out of airplane mode, restarted the phone multiple times, booted into recovery prompt and done some sort of "network cache flush" thing that Google suggested... all the other solutions I can find appear to be factory reset or root. Anyone have this issue or any thoughts on ways to fix it? It's kind of awkward since the signal out here is actually really bad and I'd like to at least be able to receive emergency texts.
Is there a device whitelist of some kind setup?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

ilkhan is right, it's the network denying you access not a problem with the phone but it should be noted that you cannot receive SMS over data, they must come over the cellular voice connection. It's integral to the protocol that they do and you can't receive them in any other way.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

LastInLine posted:

ilkhan is right, it's the network denying you access not a problem with the phone but it should be noted that you cannot receive SMS over data, they must come over the cellular voice connection. It's integral to the protocol that they do and you can't receive them in any other way.

Notable exception being if you're on Fi. Otherwise, completely true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

azurite posted:

Notable exception being if you're on Fi. Otherwise, completely true.
I am actually on Fi! I swear I'm not completely stupid :shobon:

I guess I'll go mess with IT and see what's what, then.