Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

How powerful of a phone do you need to do cardboard stuff? Is it less for the "stream from pc" stuff? I've got an LG Sunset.

I've got a nexus 5 and all of the cardboard stuff I've tried has worked really well. If it goes into low-power mode the tracking has a slight lag to it, but aside from that my only problems are how quickly unity apps drain my battery

egg tats fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

senae posted:

I've got a nexus 5 and all of the cardboard stuff I've tried has worked really well. If it goes into low-power mode the tracking has a slight lag to it, but aside from that my only problems are how quickly unity apps drain my battery

Awesome! My wife has a Nexus 5, I have an LG G4, so we'd be all set :toot:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Shine posted:

I tried it with Elite Dangerous some time back, and it worked well as a proof of concept to give a taste of what the game would be like in VR (loving incredible), but the framerate and input lag made it impractical for regular use.

I've been playing through Portal 2 with it and there's no lag for me. I'm using a USB cable on a Note 5 though, dunno what you're using.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Help me fail my stats class.

What's a good game I can half pay attention to like a cookie clicker game, game dev tycoon, bejeweled, or tiny tower that doesn't start making you wait 8 hours because I'm out of class by then.
I'm okay with paying a few Google reward bux.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

i like tacos posted:

What's a good game I can half pay attention to like a cookie clicker game, game dev tycoon, bejeweled, or tiny tower that doesn't start making you wait 8 hours because I'm out of class by then.
Shop Heroes: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768710

Or if you need to pay even less attention then Adventure Capitalist I guess.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

CrashCat posted:

Shop Heroes: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768710

Or if you need to pay even less attention then Adventure Capitalist I guess.

I stopped playing shop heroes because I kept getting kicked out of clans for only playing twice a week

I had nearly beaten adventure capitalist
(Only 50 more unlocks or achievements) and I made the mistake of trying android N and coming back to Marshmallow. So I had to wipe and my file got lost so I haven't played since.

Edit: Also I've played idle oil tycoon until the numbers were too high so my game hangs and crashes when I try to reinput my save code

i like tacos fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 11, 2016

Dancer
May 23, 2011

i like tacos posted:

Patchwork: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digidiced.pxwrelease&hl=en
Incredibly well designed board game for 2 imo, with few rules that lead to decent strategic depth, and the app supports async multiplayer and allows you to play as many games at the same time as you want.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

i like tacos posted:

I stopped playing shop heroes because I kept getting kicked out of clans for only playing twice a week
Meh, twice a week is fine, give me a user tag thing and I'll invite you to MURDERVILLE. And if you lapse for like a month and get booted again just ask, it's really no big deal. poo poo, even our #1 player is at 2 days idle right now

Unless you're just sick of it, which I can totally understand

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Dancer posted:

Patchwork: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digidiced.pxwrelease&hl=en
Incredibly well designed board game for 2 imo, with few rules that lead to decent strategic depth, and the app supports async multiplayer and allows you to play as many games at the same time as you want.

Thanks I'll give it a try!

CrashCat posted:

Meh, twice a week is fine, give me a user tag thing and I'll invite you to MURDERVILLE. And if you lapse for like a month and get booted again just ask, it's really no big deal. poo poo, even our #1 player is at 2 days idle right now

Unless you're just sick of it, which I can totally understand

Cool thanks! my usertag is titz#87216

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Hey, we need people to test our release candidate for the 5th Anniversary Edition of Tiny Tower that will be bringing Tiny Tower back to Android on the 26th.

We have a beta signup running through Google's Beta system: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.nimblebit.tinytower

If you get a URL error after signing up, it seems like it can take a few minutes for it to realize you have access, or some people can go to the Google Play app and see it even if they get the error.

We are looking for any compatibility issues or obvious errors, here's whats new:

What's New
+ Tons of new floors, costumes, lobbies, roofs, elevators, missions and BitBook posts!
+ New QuickStock features makes managing your tower even easier!
+ Pixel-Perfect Retina graphics!
+ Trade bitizens with friends!
+ Rename your bitizens!
+ Earn new Golden Tickets!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ ehh what the hell I'LL play till I get bored of it again.
First free bux video didn't load for me just black screen, had to hit back a few times

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 11, 2016

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

tater_salad posted:

^^ ehh what the hell I'LL play till I get bored of it again.
First free bux video didn't load for me just black screen, had to hit back a few times

Yea, been trying to figure out that one for a long time - been working with the Ad network people to try and resolve it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I don't know if this is just for beta to test bux features or not but I'm getting ad requests like every 3 mins.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

marshmonkey posted:

What's New
+ Tons of new floors, costumes, lobbies, roofs, elevators, missions and BitBook posts!
+ Rename your bitizens!

I hope to see as much of this ported to Vegas as possible. Or at least Captain Bitmerica and Bitpool costumes.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Kheldarn posted:

I hope to see as much of this ported to Vegas as possible. Or at least Captain Bitmerica and Bitpool costumes.

Half of this new stuff are improvements that we took from Vegas and put into Tiny Tower, but we did also make a lot of improvements that should go into Vegas whenever we get the time to do so.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Friends are cool that you can trade ppl
Code is

11c1

Dancer
May 23, 2011

marshmonkey posted:

Hey, we need people to test our release candidate for the 5th Anniversary Edition of Tiny Tower that will be bringing Tiny Tower back to Android on the 26th.

We have a beta signup running through Google's Beta system: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.nimblebit.tinytower

If you get a URL error after signing up, it seems like it can take a few minutes for it to realize you have access, or some people can go to the Google Play app and see it even if they get the error.

We are looking for any compatibility issues or obvious errors, here's whats new:

What's New
+ Rename your bitizens!

So I just started, and I got 2 permission requests:
- local media (I guess this may be a very common thing for developers to ask for)
- Make and receive phone calls - this one seems crazy.

Is there a reason for these things?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Dancer posted:

So I just started, and I got 2 permission requests:
- local media (I guess this may be a very common thing for developers to ask for)
- Make and receive phone calls - this one seems crazy.

Is there a reason for these things?

How else are we going to get free long distance calls from you?

Real answer: apparently this is a permission some of the ad networks require for some reason. No idea why!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I "think" I once clicked on an ad and had it pull up my phone to call them. It didn't actually dial, but if I'd pressed the call button I would have been talking to some plumbing supply company.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Yeah, "we don't know why our advertisers want to use your phone like that" doesn't exactly fill me with confidence you know?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
The phone permission is actually for unity analytics, we figured out how to get rid of that one so the next build won't require it.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

marshmonkey posted:

The phone permission is actually for unity analytics, we figured out how to get rid of that one so the next build won't require it.

Unity Analytics requiring it makes even less sense to me!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've been on a binge a bit on games, and I've run into two games that I've dug enough to report on. These are clicker/idlers, so I might crosspost this into the idle thread:

The first is Zombidle, which (as you might guess) is a zombie-based idle game. Mechanically, it reminds me of Tap Titans (start off clicking yourself to earn currency to buy others to do it for you), but it feels a lot faster (you earn restart-bonusing stuff almost immediately compared to that game). The sounds/music are solid (loud screams from men on fire running around you click on them for bonus currency), the graphics are good, and the ads are totally non-interfering: you're occasionally offered to watch an ad for bonus materials/currency/whatever, and you can always deny them. I've even gotten a "here's a ad-free bonus because you've watched a bunch of ads already today" one, which is cool. Can be played either offline or online; the game says warns you about not using the cloud because if something goes wrong, they can't help you. After a random tablet crash (I don't blame the game for it) I lost a day of progress on my non-cloud save. Other than that, I'm digging the game.

E: I've had some oddness with the game not recognizing the cloud temporarily. Thought I lost my progress again.

Doomsday Clicker shares most of its functionality with Adventure Capitalist, but it won me over with its charm and graphics. You start the end of the world, build buildings to attract survivors/make money, and restart (causing a new doomsday) to convert the survivors to more productive Mutants. Ad-based content is voluntary, but it's a gamble if you get a good multiplier or not. I can't help grin when I restart and see a new way the world has ended again: a nuke, aliens, comets, whatever. The audio in this deserves special note: when you're about to press the Big Red Button to destroy the world, there's a doo-wop songstress goading you on to kill everyone.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 12, 2016

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Doomsday Clicker shares most of its functionality with Adventure Capitalist, but it won me over with its charm and graphics. You start the end of the world, build buildings to attract survivors/make money, and restart (causing a new doomsday) to convert the survivors to more productive Mutants. Ad-based content is voluntary, but it's a gamble if you get a good multiplier or not. I can't help grin when I restart and see a new way the world has ended again: a nuke, aliens, comets, whatever. The audio in this deserves special note: when you're about to press the Big Red Button to destroy the world, there's a doo-wop songstress goading you on to kill everyone.

I tried this earlier today and it lagged like crazy so I uninstalled it but my Nexus 6P was acting up at the time so your mileage may vary

marshmonkey posted:

What's New
+ Rename your bitizens!

Great timing! My friend code is 11RZ

i like tacos fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 12, 2016

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Aww, not accepting any more testers for Tiny Tower? I was hoping to see if it worked on my Note Edge. At least I bought a S2 tablet last week so I should be able to play most games now.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
drat, Cardboard says the current version isn't compatible with my phone. Is that my phone being too weak, or does that actually change a lot? Is side loading worth trying?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

i like tacos posted:

I tried this earlier today and it lagged like crazy so I uninstalled it but my Nexus 6P was acting up at the time so your mileage may vary

It's a little laggy on my Galaxy Tab 4 (it occasionally twitches a little when I'm upgrading things quickly), but didn't super bother me.

Related to poor performance in games, has anyone played War Dragons? It's an odd thing, its not compatible with my beefier-than-my-phone tablet, but runs like rear end on the phone that can (supposedly) play it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

drat, Cardboard says the current version isn't compatible with my phone. Is that my phone being too weak, or does that actually change a lot? Is side loading worth trying?

Is the sunset one of those inexpensive prepaid phones? If yes then probably too weak to do cardboard.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Light Gun Man posted:

If your phone is running something older than Android 4.1 then you're out of luck.

Nargiddley
Jul 30, 2006

marshmonkey posted:

What's New
+ Rename your bitizens!

No problems so far on a Note 3, Loving the quickstock button.
Friend code is 11NJ

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Spellspire is a new action RPG/word search game that seems pretty neat.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

mrkillboy posted:

Spellspire is a new action RPG/word search game that seems pretty neat.

Well that looks adorable. Going to give it a go. I'll report back if anyone is interested.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
At first glance, definitely reminds me of Bookworm Adventures, which I quite enjoyed.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I like it quite a bit but waiting to recharge your lives is pretty annoying, as well as the lack of any back button support.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 12, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For those who still have it kicking around, Soda Dungeon got an update that lets you use Mystic Caps as well as allowing you to hire the tavern-keeper, mage, gladiator, and shop-keeper, who all come with their own legendary weapons. I haven't had time to play it yet, but it seems interesting.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Rapner posted:

Aww, not accepting any more testers for Tiny Tower? I was hoping to see if it worked on my Note Edge. At least I bought a S2 tablet last week so I should be able to play most games now.

Yea, I guess we hit the 1,000 tester limit already. Going to see about raising it so more people can get in.

*edit* removed the limit, should start working again soon.

marshmonkey fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 12, 2016

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I got in on the test, first ad for me worked just fine. Nexus 5X and everything is wonderful so far for me. Friend code is 11ZJ.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

MisterBibs posted:

I've been on a binge a bit on games, and I've run into two games that I've dug enough to report on. These are clicker/idlers, so I might crosspost this into the idle thread:

The first is Zombidle, which (as you might guess) is a zombie-based idle game. Mechanically, it reminds me of Tap Titans (start off clicking yourself to earn currency to buy others to do it for you), but it feels a lot faster (you earn restart-bonusing stuff almost immediately compared to that game). The sounds/music are solid (loud screams from men on fire running around you click on them for bonus currency), the graphics are good, and the ads are totally non-interfering: you're occasionally offered to watch an ad for bonus materials/currency/whatever, and you can always deny them. I've even gotten a "here's a ad-free bonus because you've watched a bunch of ads already today" one, which is cool. Can be played either offline or online; the game says warns you about not using the cloud because if something goes wrong, they can't help you. After a random tablet crash (I don't blame the game for it) I lost a day of progress on my non-cloud save. Other than that, I'm digging the game.

E: I've had some oddness with the game not recognizing the cloud temporarily. Thought I lost my progress again.

Thanks for the recs. I'm liking both of these so far. Zombidle reminds me a little of Realm Grinder so far and a lot of Clicker Heroes. I don't love the way Doomsday Clicker's ad multiplier works compared to Adventure Capitalist's (only lasts for two hours and random what bonus you get) but the restarts are really fast in the beginning so it kinda seems like it doesn't matter. The performance is pretty good on my Note 4, but it does chunk up for a quarter second or so when I hit the upgrade button.

Speaking of performance, I was thrilled to see that Kairosoft updated a bunch of their legacy games recently and fixed the rotten performance problems I was having with their games since I upgraded my phone last. Dungeon Village isn't a slideshow anymore!

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

marshmonkey posted:

I've been playing Vegas again recently so I'm down for this.
e: friend code is 120F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

hooah posted:

For those who still have it kicking around, Soda Dungeon got an update that lets you use Mystic Caps as well as allowing you to hire the tavern-keeper, mage, gladiator, and shop-keeper, who all come with their own legendary weapons. I haven't had time to play it yet, but it seems interesting.

I deleted this last night.