Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I was given an ipad 1 that I tried to make into a 100% comic book reading machine but Chunky requires iOS 9.0+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Any reason why Chunky over iComics?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

LODGE NORTH posted:

Any reason why Chunky over iComics?

iComics requires iOS 7+, and ipad 1 is locked at 5.11 or whatever.

Also iComics didn't have a free version for me to test out the app to try it.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Idk how you feel about reddit but this thread looks helpful.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Chunky is the best. Just pay the $4 and get it and don't overthink it. It owns.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

But why Chunky over iComics?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

beergod posted:

Chunky is the best. Just pay the $4 and get it and don't overthink it. It owns.
What? Chunky is free...?

I use Chunky. It's free and I was able to import all my comics and PDF books into it. It's really simple and works. However, I noticed a bug. If I have a book/comic open and then let my iPad go to sleep for a bit of time, when I unlock the screen the image is all messed up. To fix it I just have to press the home button and then go back into Chunky.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Housh posted:

What? Chunky is free...?

I use Chunky. It's free and I was able to import all my comics and PDF books into it. It's really simple and works. However, I noticed a bug. If I have a book/comic open and then let my iPad go to sleep for a bit of time, when I unlock the screen the image is all messed up. To fix it I just have to press the home button and then go back into Chunky.
I think maybe Chunky was paid-only before, but now it's free with an in-app purchase that gets you neat features. Used to use Comic Zeal myself, but have been loving Chunky's better image handling, one-handed mode and super easy web file upload. Definitely a keeper if you're into comics/manga.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I'm about 48 hours into owning a 12.9" Pro and I'm pretty conflicted on it. As a work tool, absolutely brilliant. The screen is freaking gorgeous and I'm enjoying the Pencil for making notes and scribbling on PDFs. Unfortunately I'm finding it impractical for reading in bed compared to my Air 2. It almost feels like I still need my Air or even a Mini as well, but that would be overkill.

I'm using it naked at the moment but I have a Sena Vettra folio case on the way. I'm used to using Apple's leather smart cases on previous iPads, how does this compare both quality-wise and in terms of added bulk?

What apps should I be grabbing to really make this thing shine? I want to completely fall in love with it but I'm not quite there yet.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Digital Jesus posted:

I'm about 48 hours into owning a 12.9" Pro and I'm pretty conflicted on it. As a work tool, absolutely brilliant. The screen is freaking gorgeous and I'm enjoying the Pencil for making notes and scribbling on PDFs. Unfortunately I'm finding it impractical for reading in bed compared to my Air 2. It almost feels like I still need my Air or even a Mini as well, but that would be overkill.

I'm using it naked at the moment but I have a Sena Vettra folio case on the way. I'm used to using Apple's leather smart cases on previous iPads, how does this compare both quality-wise and in terms of added bulk?

What apps should I be grabbing to really make this thing shine? I want to completely fall in love with it but I'm not quite there yet.

Air

Air 2

Look around, browse other models and maybe get whatever you're comfortable spending?

$319 for a refurb 32gb Air kept on your bedside table or couch or wherever you want a smaller "home" tablet to reside isn't bad.

If you still have one, just keep it. Use it at home and try to differentiate its use from the bigger one's.

As for apps, do you like making music? Can you play an instrument? Do you like games? What kind of games? There are lots of apps out there buddy. :colbert:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

...Just get the 9.7" one?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Digital Jesus posted:

The Vettra is great. It adds very little bulk and the leather is like butter. It's a quality piece and feels very solidly made.

I love mine.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Air

Air 2

Look around, browse other models and maybe get whatever you're comfortable spending?

$319 for a refurb 32gb Air kept on your bedside table or couch or wherever you want a smaller "home" tablet to reside isn't bad.

If you still have one, just keep it. Use it at home and try to differentiate its use from the bigger one's.

As for apps, do you like making music? Can you play an instrument? Do you like games? What kind of games? There are lots of apps out there buddy. :colbert:

I still have my Air 2 but I intend to sell it on as having two iPads is a little too indulgent.

I do play guitar/bass and have been screwing around with some iOS synth stuff as well. Love games, just about anything really. I guess I was just looking for general recommendations for things that are specifically nice on the giant screen. I've already found a few apps that look like poo poo scaled up that much, which might be contributing to me not really loving the thing.

LODGE NORTH posted:

...Just get the 9.7" one?

Nah.

flosofl posted:

The Vettra is great. It adds very little bulk and the leather is like butter. It's a quality piece and feels very solidly made.

I love mine.

Awesome, that's pretty much what I wanted to hear :D

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Digital Jesus posted:

When I use the 12.9 Pro in bed, I lay on my side and put the Pro on its side as well, so my eyes are aligned with the landscape mode, if that makes sense.

You'll want to lock the screen orientation though, if you use it like that.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Still don't get how the 9.7 iPad isn't the perfect solution to this problem.

Anyway, is there a way outside of iTunes Match to get Music that is not available on iTunes on my iPad?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Upload it to google music?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

LODGE NORTH posted:

Anyway, is there a way outside of iTunes Match to get Music that is not available on iTunes on my iPad?

I want more apps to take advantage of the 12.9" screen. How is a 9.7" screen a solution to that? I don't want to downgrade. I don't want half the memory. I just want more software that has been updated for the device I already have.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

I want more apps to take advantage of the 12.9" screen. How is a 9.7" screen a solution to that? I don't want to downgrade. I don't want half the memory. I just want more software that has been updated for the device I already have.

Because half of your post was praising the iPad for its usefulness, but the other half was complaining about how you wished you had the Air or Mini for its size.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Found out the answer to this is iCloud Music library which is essentially just iTunes Match for Apple Music users? I don't know, but it does what I need it to.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 13, 2016

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

I still have my Air 2 but I intend to sell it on as having two iPads is a little too indulgent.

I do play guitar/bass and have been screwing around with some iOS synth stuff as well. Love games, just about anything really. I guess I was just looking for general recommendations for things that are specifically nice on the giant screen. I've already found a few apps that look like poo poo scaled up that much, which might be contributing to me not really loving the thing.

If you like synths, I know that Korg Gadget and Moog Model 15 have both been optimized for the bigger Pro display and Model 15 has Pencil support. Lots of others probably have been updated as well at this point, but I couldn't tell you which, and those two are flagships that every iOS synthesist should have anyway. For best results, add a MIDI keyboard.

My Air was a gift so I don't feel the same economic incentive to try to recoup money from it, but I can totally see where you're coming from. Funnily enough, music is my main excuse for thinking about keeping it.

Apps like Audiobus and Audioshare are good for routing and recording stuff through multiple apps from within a single iPad but I've been feeling increasingly constrained by having one screen.

I'm thinking that I could have one iPad serving as a control surface with TouchAble and TC-11/TC-Data while the other hosts a synth or something like that. For all that having multiple iPads seems decadent and stupid, refurbs and gently-used older models that could easily pull that duty are dirt cheap these days.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Found out the answer to this is iCloud Music library which is essentially just iTunes Match for Apple Music users? I don't know, but it does what I need it to.

:viggo: iTunes Match used to have the same functionality with its 'upload' feature for songs that it couldn't find matches for. If you had them in your library, it would just search for a bit and then upload them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you like synths, I know that Korg Gadget and Moog Model 15 have both been optimized for the bigger Pro display and Model 15 has Pencil support. Lots of others probably have been updated as well at this point, but I couldn't tell you which, and those two are flagships that every iOS synthesist should have anyway. For best results, add a MIDI keyboard.

My Air was a gift so I don't feel the same economic incentive to try to recoup money from it, but I can totally see where you're coming from. Funnily enough, music is my main excuse for thinking about keeping it.

Apps like Audiobus and Audioshare are good for routing and recording stuff through multiple apps from within a single iPad but I've been feeling increasingly constrained by having one screen.

I'm thinking that I could have one iPad serving as a control surface with TouchAble and TC-11/TC-Data while the other hosts a synth or something like that. For all that having multiple iPads seems decadent and stupid, refurbs and gently-used older models that could easily pull that duty are dirt cheap these days.

:viggo: iTunes Match used to have the same functionality with its 'upload' feature for songs that it couldn't find matches for. If you had them in your library, it would just search for a bit and then upload them.

My only real regret getting the Pro is it won't fit in my iTrack Dock.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It still does have that functionality. But an Apple Music sub includes the Match functionality (and, as LODGE NORTH mostly guessed, you have to turn on iCloud Music Library to use the "music not on my device" Apple Music functions, including the Match part).

roofus619
Dec 7, 2005

Brain eating? Hmmmmm, That's pretty unusual

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It still does have that functionality. But an Apple Music sub includes the Match functionality (and, as LODGE NORTH mostly guessed, you have to turn on iCloud Music Library to use the "music not on my device" Apple Music functions, including the Match part).

Speaking of iTunes Match, does it still have the issue where explicit songs are getting replaced by the censored versions when downloaded? I stopped using it a few years ago and that's the reason way.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

roofus619 posted:

Speaking of iTunes Match, does it still have the issue where explicit songs are getting replaced by the censored versions when downloaded? I stopped using it a few years ago and that's the reason way.

I don't know, but I'd assume that they fixed it back when it made the news. I've literally never had that problem and I've been a subscriber since 2012.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I don't know, but I'd assume that they fixed it back when it made the news. I've literally never had that problem and I've been a subscriber since 2012.

Same. Never had that problem either and was a Match user from the start.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

roofus619 posted:

Yes, sometimes. It seems to happen for specific albums on one-off cases.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It only happened to me for one specific album and the rep actually gave me a $20 iTunes credit when I complained and said that I could use that to just buy the explicit version off iTunes to make sure the correct one was in my Match library. I still canceled the service because it seemed like a real janky solution to me.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I just got an iPad Pro 12 inch and am looking for something that will make it so I don't have to look down so sharply when I have the thing on my lap. With my air, the Smart Cover folded up let me rest it on my lap or on the arm of the couch but I have read bad things about the Smart Cover for the pro. I have just been using pillows but there has to be something better. Any suggestions?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Yes just buy the Smart Keyboard and ignore the haters it rocks

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Yeah, I just ended up getting the Smart Keyboard and it is awesome. Totally secure. And the keyboard itself is surprisingly nice.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

rio posted:

Yeah, I just ended up getting the Smart Keyboard and it is awesome. Totally secure. And the keyboard itself is surprisingly nice.

Yeah I agree with this. I'm using it right now and typing on the keyboard feels pretty great. I really like the Smart Keyboard (lol auto correct capitalizes the S and K)

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Part of me wants to go back in uncapitalize Smart Keyboard, Smart Cover, Magic Mouse etc. because it is so pretentious but gently caress it because I am lazy.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I got annoyed the other day at IE fixing "Sharepoint" to "SharePoint" or whatever the gently caress.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
9.3.2 is out but it's bricking the smaller iPad Pro for some people:
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/05/16/ios-9-3-2-bricking-some-9-7-ipad-pros/

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Small Pro 32GB on sale for $549, no tax for most people.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1241261-REG/apple_mlmn2ll_a_9_7_ipad_pro_32gb.html

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

rio posted:

Part of me wants to go back in uncapitalize Smart Keyboard, Smart Cover, Magic Mouse etc. because it is so pretentious but gently caress it because I am lazy.

After 4+ years of mostly phoneposting I've come to ignore it. I'll only go back and change a cap if it seems particularly irksome or somehow betrays some core aspect of the post in question.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

japtor posted:

9.3.2 is out but it's bricking the smaller iPad Pro for some people:
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/05/16/ios-9-3-2-bricking-some-9-7-ipad-pros/

Thanks for the heads up. I will not update.

I just got my pencil magnet and getting used to the feel.

Housh fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 17, 2016

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Wasn't someone asking about iPad pro deals recently? http://thewirecutter.com/deals/#deal-82056

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Is anyone else having a problem where their iPad Pro 13" takes a long time to charge? I thought it was the outlet but my phone went from 0-40% in the same time it took my iPad to go from 0-8% which wasn't the case maybe a week ago.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It's always taken my Pro a long rear end time to charge no matter which amp charger I use. I think it's just because it's battery is loving huge. Thats one of the only downsides to the drat thing that I have with it though.

The pencil though holy poo poo the battery in that thing seems to last forever and a day. I really don't use it much but I swear it will last for a month just laying there on my nightstand with the iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I think it's just because it's battery is loving huge.

it's about 4 times the size the battery in the 6s+.

Verisimilidude posted:

Is anyone else having a problem where their iPad Pro 13" takes a long time to charge? I thought it was the outlet but my phone went from 0-40% in the same time it took my iPad to go from 0-8% which wasn't the case maybe a week ago.

Make sure you use a 12 watt charger.