Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Police Automaton posted:

does president trump know about all this

When he does find out, there are several undeveloped islands in the Florida Keys that would be suitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Police Automaton posted:

does president Clinton know about all this
I doubt she'd really care.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Doesn't Australia have an election coming up? Is there hope for these people?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

As a kid I always saw Alice Springs on a map and thought, hey, it's probably a small town with a gas station and a nice little cafe, grocery store with maybe not the most impressive selection, a truck stop motel thing, some good like... caves or something nearby. Like it's a big truck stop for trucks going cross country, but mostly just a nice quiet little town.

Nope, it's a big depressing pile of poo poo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm curious how lovely it actually is. There are some really poo poo towns around me (Paterson and Newark NJ for starters), but part of why they're so lovely is because they're immediate suburbs of NYC with all the illegal trade and activities that would entail, versus a tiny city in the middle of a giant desert.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Pick posted:

Doesn't Australia have an election coming up? Is there hope for these people?

Both our major parties are dedicated to being lovely. L-NP (current government) is the worst offender, but Labour isn't much better anymore. They were a fair bit better, but as soon as they got desperate for votes they sold out and have largely been following the liberals lead on refugee policy. The Greens are the only party taking a moral stand on the issue, but unfortunately they will only ever have any influence in the senate.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
stop making this thread about australian politics you retards, no one gives a poo poo, take it to dd

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I'm curious how lovely it actually is. There are some really poo poo towns around me (Paterson and Newark NJ for starters), but part of why they're so lovely is because they're immediate suburbs of NYC with all the illegal trade and activities that would entail, versus a tiny city in the middle of a giant desert.

i spent a few weeks there on an assignment, there's a military base there that's staffed by a joint group of Australians/Brits/Americans. it largely wasn't worth leaving the base since there was an acceptable bar on the base. i remember around the base they were always advertising certain days of the month where you could catch a hop flight off base for like $50 that would take you to sydney for a weekend, but you always had to book way in advance because all the military trying to get the gently caress out of alice springs for a few days guaranteed all the flights were always sold out. i always liked spending time in the SW united states, so i'm a big fan of arid and desert landscapes, which the alice springs is some of the best arid landscape you're ever gonna get.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hogge Wild posted:

stop making this thread about australian politics you retards, no one gives a poo poo, take it to dd

Seems that Australian politics has a very important and very direct impact on what happens on this island, why this island is the way it is, why this island looks the way it does, and all the other things this thread is about. It's not some meaningless tangent out of nowhere.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Has Nauru had a cyclone or hurricane or whatever? I bet that would be fun.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Yep its so wiiiieeeerd that an island full of the descendants of deported convicts and murderers would try to solve its problems by shipping people off to an even worse island......

5er
Jun 1, 2000

8 track betamax posted:

Yep its so wiiiieeeerd that an island full of the descendants of deported convicts and murderers would try to solve its problems by shipping people off to an even worse island......

There's an america.gif thread for that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

8 track betamax posted:

Where does Nauru ship its would-be immigrants and convicts? :ohdear:

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

univbee posted:

Where does Nauru ship its would-be immigrants and convicts? :ohdear:

The convicts stay on Island (seriously). There was a convicted rapist at one of those cover band nights, and danced with a friend of mine. The (wealthy) immigrants go to Australia and set up a future there because they know Nauru is a poo poo hole to bring up their children.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
A failure shithole trashland filled with fatties who ruined everything by touching poop. You guys started goon island without me? :(

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

wit posted:

A failure shithole trashland filled with fatties who ruined everything by touching poop. You guys started goon island without me? :(

Not only was it started but has already been :regd08: with poop touching.

Good thread op, a glimmering jewel in the sea of dooky known as GBS.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Lascivious Sloth posted:

The convicts stay on Island (seriously). There was a convicted rapist at one of those cover band nights, and danced with a friend of mine. The (wealthy) immigrants go to Australia and set up a future there because they know Nauru is a poo poo hole to bring up their children.

Well, it's better than what happened on the Pitcairn Islands:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitcairn_sexual_assault_trial_of_2004

Quite hard to imprison people on an island with a population of 47; it would ruin their way of life. Of course, as their way of life involves having sex with twelve year olds, one wonders why people think it's worth preserving.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Plucky Brit posted:

Quite hard to imprison people on an island with a population of 47; it would ruin their way of life. Of course, as their way of life involves having sex with twelve year olds, one wonders why people think it's worth preserving.

Not to mention mutinying against the Crown

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Looks exactly like Queensland

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Plucky Brit posted:

quote:

The trial was punctuated by legal challenges from island residents, who denied the island's colonial status, and with it the United Kingdom's judicial authority. Defence lawyers for the seven accused men claimed that British sovereignty over the islands was unconstitutional: HMS Bounty mutineers, from whom almost all of the current island population is descended (together with Polynesians), had effectively renounced their British citizenship by committing a capital offence in the burning of the Bounty in 1790, they said. In a symbolic rejection of British rule, islanders still celebrated this act annually by burning an effigy of the Bounty, according to Paul Dacre, the Pitcairn public defender.

"We burn a toy ship once a year so your laws don't apply to us" sounds like grade A sovcit BS.

Also, not saying that it isn't wrong, but I think that 50 people living 1000 miles from nowhere is kind of an unavoidable way for people to go really crazy.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

KiteAuraan posted:

That's Alice Springs, Australia's dumbest idea.

Coober Pedy runs a close second. Although living underground like that is kinda cool (har har).

Hey Lascivious Sloth, if it's not going to result in a visit from ASIO would you happen to have any photos of the detention centres? Or stories from people caught there?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

glowing-fish posted:

Also, not saying that it isn't wrong, but I think that 50 people living 1000 miles from nowhere is kind of an unavoidable way for people to go really crazy.

The Pacific is full of Lord of the Flies islands.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lolie posted:

The Pacific is full of Lord of the Flies islands.

Why did goons pick Hawaii?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Darth123123 posted:

Why did goons pick Hawaii?
So some Japanese mangaka could use their King's name as a catchphrase.

Also I'm pretty sure Bionicles has offended every last pacific Islander on earth.

father vivian
May 5, 2008

WE'VE OBTAINED ENERGY RECOVERY PILLS
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/may/11/bangladeshi-refugee-dies-on-nauru-of-suspected-heart-attack

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Plucky Brit posted:

holy poo poo

quote:

An "entry clearance application" must be made for any child under the age of 16, prior to visiting Pitcairn, while adults visiting the island for periods of less than 14 days are not required to complete any application or visa request prior to arrival.[30]

The UK's Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) does not currently allow their staff based on Pitcairn to be accompanied by their children.

I wonder what the official FCO reasoning for that rule is, because I can't see any government in the world going on the record to say "don't take your kids to our sovereign territory because literally every male adult there is a child molester"

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

holy poo poo

I wonder what the official FCO reasoning for that rule is, because I can't see any government in the world going on the record to say "don't take your kids to our sovereign territory because literally every male adult there is a child molester"

Why would they send a govt official there?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This thread. I haven't had flashbacks to Nothing But Trouble (a movie that traumatized a portion of my childhood) like this in years. It's all Valkenvania.

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

holy poo poo

Ahahaha, I had a psychology professor in college who upheld this place as a model for healthy, natural sexual mores, as opposed to our awful prudish ~Christian~ sexual morality that kept boobies off the TV and his wife from agreeing to an open marriage (he actually complained about that in class).

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Oh Hell No posted:

Ahahaha, I had a psychology professor in college who upheld this place as a model for healthy, natural sexual mores, as opposed to our awful prudish ~Christian~ sexual morality that kept boobies off the TV and his wife from agreeing to an open marriage (he actually complained about that in class).

What school was that?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
One thing about small Pacific countries that is kinda striking when you get there is how much influence they are under from other countries. Traditionally it was mostly Australia and in some places the US and NZ but in recent years China is becoming a much bigger player. I've noticed a lot of random roads will have signs saying they were funded by the Chinese government and there are a lot of small businesses run by Chinese expats popping up all over the Pacific. The Japanese also built a few fire stations in Tonga, probably so they can access whales in Vavaʻu. But my personal "favourite" is the Mormons, who like to put these signs out the front of their schools and temples that tell people not to speak their native language. I think I took this photo in Tongatapu, I can't remember exactly:

:captainpop:

Also re: obesity in the Pacific, this explains a lot of it:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Vladimir Poutine posted:

One thing about small Pacific countries that is kinda striking when you get there is how much influence they are under from other countries.

At the other end of the spectrum you have the ones which time pretty much forgot, like Palm Island. "Independence" in those places has pretty much meant indifference to how people live on the islands until some scandal shines a media spotlight on them and people who didn't even know those places exist want "somebody" to "do something" to somehow repair decades of neglect and make them functioning societies.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Vladimir Poutine posted:

One thing about small Pacific countries that is kinda striking when you get there is how much influence they are under from other countries. Traditionally it was mostly Australia and in some places the US and NZ but in recent years China is becoming a much bigger player. I've noticed a lot of random roads will have signs saying they were funded by the Chinese government and there are a lot of small businesses run by Chinese expats popping up all over the Pacific. The Japanese also built a few fire stations in Tonga, probably so they can access whales in Vavaʻu. But my personal "favourite" is the Mormons, who like to put these signs out the front of their schools and temples that tell people not to speak their native language. I think I took this photo in Tongatapu, I can't remember exactly:

:captainpop:

Also re: obesity in the Pacific, this explains a lot of it:

what the gently caress is "dripping" I mean any food whatsoever that comes in a bucket that big can't be good but jesus that sounds both ominous and gluttonous... omingluttonous? gluttonominous?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

what the gently caress is "dripping" I mean any food whatsoever that comes in a bucket that big can't be good but jesus that sounds both ominous and gluttonous... omingluttonous? gluttonominous?

it's the fat that drips off meat while it cooks. Hence the name. Food fried in dripping is great if you hate yourself and want to get super gross and die

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

boom boom boom posted:

it's the fat that drips off meat while it cooks. Hence the name. Food fried in dripping is great if you hate yourself and want to get super gross and die

So it's basically lard? Ok so it's a tiny bit less gross because I doubt anyone is just eating it straight from the bucket but yeah, a bucket of animal fat is p. gross no matter what it's called/what animal it's from

If reading Discworld has taught me anything it's that the UK/Aus has some great names for food, I've always loved "toast soldiers"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

this thread's makin me huungry

kremlins
May 9, 2009
what are you supposed to do with trash on an island? i'd think that real estate would be in too short supply to use a landfill, so are they supposed to ship it out or what? that'd seem expensive.

in nauru, it looks like they just throw it on the ground though

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kremlin Kremlin posted:

what are you supposed to do with trash on an island? i'd think that real estate would be in too short supply to use a landfill, so are they supposed to ship it out or what? that'd seem expensive.

in nauru, it looks like they just throw it on the ground though

I would imagine that a lot of tiny island nations just dump it in the ocean :( but realistically it probably wouldn't be that hard to implement a pretty comprehensive composting/recycling program on an island that small (that is if anybody gave a gently caress)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
what the gently caress was this thread going to be about if that guy didnt come in and drop like 50 anecdotes about it being hell island

• Locked thread