Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I get how Switzerland could maintain independence, but how did dorky little San Marino not get attacked during the height of fascist Italy's expansion? You'd think they'd want to clean up that little speck in the middle of their supposedly ethnically united peninsula before engaging in some foolhardy overseas venture.

Because San Marino is essentially Italian anyways.

Also apparently fascist from 1923 onwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Someone in the Historical Wargames thread said I should post this here:

Speaking of primary sources...

After my paternal grandfather passed, my grandmother would occasionally mention something about "some old Civil War books" that grandpa wanted me to have. Always followed by, "oh, but I forgot to bring them. I'll try to remember next time." OK, cool, whatever. She didn't ascribe much importance to them, so I never followed up. This poo poo went on for like a decade, with her bringing it up every once in a while.

Finally at a family Thanksgiving two years ago, she hands me a non-descript shoe-box that contains this:

A better look at the spine:

Yes, that is in fact an original printing of both volumes of John C. S. Abbot's "History of the Civil War in America." Volume I was penned in late 1862 and published in 1863 - while the war was still going on.

Jesus, grandma, you didn't tell me that grandpa left me godsdamned TREASURE!!!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Liechtenstein also kept its independence through the wars. Too little fish for Nazis, and too close to Switzerland.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pontius Pilate posted:

I think it was an essay in What If: Gay Black Hitler the Book that very, very optimistically made the case that if Germany had won in WWI it would've led to a proto-EU being established.

Yeah, that was Niall "Clownshit" Ferguson. Who I hate.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Von Humboldt posted:

Every time this book comes up (I'm reading through it for like the third time myself right now!) a few goons grumble about it and Massie in general. Why is that? Is his scholarship not thorough? Is he attributing thoughts and motivations to political movers without sufficient back-up? (That would be my suspicion, though it does make for fun reading.)

I think that's it, and it's a bit more the case in Dreadnought than in Castles of Steel.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Because San Marino is essentially Italian anyways.

Also apparently fascist from 1923 onwards.

It probably wasn't worth the fuss, and San Marino had a nice rep (and retained their independence in the first place) by serving as a refuge for Garibaldi and other unification heroes..

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

My favorite thing about Italian unification is how they had all that potential for greatness and then consistently hosed things up for the better part of half a century.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Italy's ultimate ceiling was like, fifth largest power in Europe, though. I don't think there were a tremendous number of geopolitical opportunities they squandered.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Yeah, that was Niall "Clownshit" Ferguson. Who I hate.

I not only agree but am going to steal this name

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ilor posted:

After my paternal grandfather passed, my grandmother would occasionally mention something about "some old Civil War books" that grandpa wanted me to have. Always followed by, "oh, but I forgot to bring them. I'll try to remember next time." OK, cool, whatever. She didn't ascribe much importance to them, so I never followed up. This poo poo went on for like a decade, with her bringing it up every once in a while.

Finally at a family Thanksgiving two years ago, she hands me a non-descript shoe-box that contains this:

Yes, that is in fact an original printing of both volumes of John C. S. Abbot's "History of the Civil War in America." Volume I was penned in late 1862 and published in 1863 - while the war was still going on.

Cool! Does it have an opinion on McClellan?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I can't take Nialls seriously after reading post-apoc books that featured giant telepathic spiders

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I can't take Nialls seriously ever since I read that story about an ex of his throwing his poo poo out the window because it turned out he was married at the time.

(I think it was HEY GAL'S friend? It's been ages since I read that anecdote)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ilor posted:

Hey Gal currently breaking the sound barrier to cross the atlantic

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Don Gato posted:

I can't take Nialls seriously ever since I read that story about an ex of his throwing his poo poo out the window because it turned out he was married at the time.

(I think it was HEY GAL'S friend? It's been ages since I read that anecdote)
my friend's sister

when you think of him, think of a German 20something throwing his poo poo out his window, forever

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

HEY GAL posted:

my friend's sister

when you think of him, think of a German 20something throwing his poo poo out his window, forever

Imagine four trash bags worth of a historian's belongings on the edge of a windowsill. Time works the same way.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I thought we were imagining bin bags full of Niall Ferguson's belongings?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Trin Tragula posted:

I thought we were imagining bin bags full of Niall Ferguson's belongings?

:perfect:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Comrade! Were you celebrating Victory day hard enough?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

With the Stalin toothbrush, do you use vodka as toothpaste?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nenonen posted:

With the Stalin toothbrush, do you use vodka as toothpaste?

Do you not?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Most of those are from last year. I still want to know what an air freshener with the smell of victory smells like...

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

про клик

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Those baby uniforms :eyepop:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Most of those are from last year. I still want to know what an air freshener with the smell of victory smells like...

Is Apocalypse Now not patriotic enough for you?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Напалм.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Slogan in bottom left reads "I remember! I am proud!". Top right is "I too will be a hero, like my great-grandfather". Presumably, the dude on the far left is the great-grandfather in question.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kopijeger posted:

Slogan in bottom left reads "I remember! I am proud!". Top right is "I too will be a hero, like my great-grandfather". Presumably, the dude on the far left is the great-grandfather in question.

Uhh isn't that dude a German

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Yes, he is. That doesn't prevent him from being the great-grandfather of an awfully precocious Russian infant.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

feedmegin posted:

Turns out many people don't know one uniform from another and will grab the first photo that a google search for "WWII soldier" returns.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Turns out many people don't know one uniform from another and will grab the first photo that a google search for "WWII soldier" returns.

Doesn't the helmet design make it really obvious, though?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Davin Valkri posted:

Doesn't the helmet design make it really obvious, though?

To you or I, yes. To someone with zero interest in military history, not really.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

To you or I, yes. To someone with zero interest in military history, not really.

Hell, even to someone with a moderate degree of interest in it. Modern(ish) helmets aren't something I really pay attention to unless it's a pickelhaube. I wouldn't have noticed the identity of the soldier at all had the thread not pointed that out.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

my dad posted:

Hell, even to someone with a moderate degree of interest in it. Modern(ish) helmets aren't something I really pay attention to unless it's a pickelhaube. I wouldn't have noticed the identity of the soldier at all had the thread not pointed that out.

I just assumed it was a German baby.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

I thought that helmet design would have been common enough in propaganda art (on both sides) to firmly cement the association "coal bucket helmet = Stahlhelm = Wehrmacht = Nazi Germany", especially in Russia.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Davin Valkri posted:

I thought that helmet design would have been common enough in propaganda art (on both sides) to firmly cement the association "coal bucket helmet = Stahlhelm = Wehrmacht = Nazi Germany", especially in Russia.

To the last generation, maybe. To kids these days, not so much :corsair:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago: Triple Trouble

4 May: General Smuts neeeeeearly, but not quite, manages to get himself captured at Kondoa; E.S. Thompson favours us with some astoundingly, brutally ungrateful racism; General Haig and Georges Clemenceau have the kind of meeting that I can't help but think should be taking place in some shadowy, smoke-filled club room (at which it emerges that Clemenceau is seriously worried that Joseph Caillaux has been positioning himself to be the next Prime Minister, the same Caillaux whose wife literally shot a newspaper editor a couple of years ago); the Sunny Subaltern is right underneath a very nasty German strafe; and Malcolm White, like so many other correspondents, is deeply critical of incompetent Army officers such as...himself. Well, that's new!

5 May: The Gardeners of Salonika shoot down a Zeppelin; there's a small but extremely significant change in the situation at the Battle of Verdun; Bernard Adams is a bit too eager with his snipers and gets whizz-banged for his pains; and E.S. Thompson completes his journey forward to Arusha.

6 May: A truly vast deception plan is now swinging into operation on the Western Front, involving most everyone in the BEF from General Haig to Assistant Latrine Pioneer John Crapper, and it seems to be working just well enough for the Chief's purposes; Louis Barthas briefly comes over all Blackadder when a comrade has a major Bad News/Good News encounter with a tetchy horse; E.S. Thompson has safeguarded the officers' whisky supplies; Edward Mousley is still in hospital in Kut and still in the poo poo; and we meet new correspondent the Rev Oswin Creighton, who in no way resembles a cut-price public domain Kenneth Best.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

feedmegin posted:

That's not a real dude, it's a drawing from the loading screen of Hearts of Iron 3.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Arbite posted:

That's not a real dude, it's a drawing from the loading screen of Hearts of Iron 3.

Paradox tracing iconic photos for their loading screen? I doubt it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Arbite posted:

I don't even know who's trying to gently caress with who anymore, but that photo is like the first hit for "waffen ss ardennes". Either way the joke is on anyone who bought HOI3 (:()

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

I had completely forgotten Trump used a Soviet (I think) soldier for some veterans related thing. You think it wouldn't be difficult to throw the country you want in front of the search.

I watched The Pacific recently and it mentioned that Okinawa was the only battle in the pacific where US casualties were greater than the Japanese. Poking around a bit that claim seems dubious since it requires taking Japan's estimate at face value but it's still closer than a lot of other battles. Why's that? I know the fighting was brutal with determined, entrenched defenders but that describes more than just Okinawa.

• Locked thread