Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Klaus88 posted:

I'm playing fall of the samurai with the Radious mod family and it is a ton of fun so far. I'm wondering how he accomplished the black magic nessacary for the square formations and fire by rank, though. :stonkhat:

I imagine through patient reverse engineering of the ETW/NTW code now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i thought fire by rank was already present with some dudes

also it probably did not have to be reverse engineered that much; i remember medieval 2 had a some residual stuff lurking in the scripting language from rome 1 that could be flipped back on again

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
"Kneel fire" basically is fire by rank, yeah.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Square formation isn't in FOTS at all.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Tomn posted:

"Kneel fire" basically is fire by rank, yeah.

Except it immobilizes your units, which can lead to awkward situations. Plus with fire by rank, I feel like you get a greater morale impact then with kneel fire. The square formation saves so much pointless aggravation, along with the need to haul along pointless spear units in your armies.

I've even saved a unit of Gatling guns by hiding them in a square.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i thought fire by rank was already present with some dudes

also it probably did not have to be reverse engineered that much; i remember medieval 2 had a some residual stuff lurking in the scripting language from rome 1 that could be flipped back on again

Shame they can't resurrect the bayonet animations. I'm guessing overhauling almost every single melee animation in the game isn't in the cards with the current modding tools.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

fire by rank is okay until you unlock kneel fire, which, other than the inability to move, is superior in every other way.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Klaus88 posted:

Shame they can't resurrect the bayonet animations. I'm guessing overhauling almost every single melee animation in the game isn't in the cards with the current modding tools.

I like the repurposed spear animations, especially when the guys huck their rifle pointy end first at the enemy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

canyoneer posted:

I like the repurposed spear animations, especially when the guys huck their rifle pointy end first at the enemy.

They work surprisingly well.

I imagine CA planned something like this using those animations but like with the older cannon types in the game it was no doubt scrapped due to time.

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Square formation isn't in FOTS at all.

it was supposed to be, there's evidence of it in the files, such as specific voice files for creating a square, i think it was something that was scrapped with the bayonets due to time

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Bizzarly FOTS and shogun two feel like the most balanced Total wars. Modern units wreck in the field but get wrecked when it comes to taking castles.

I suppose that has something to do with each faction having ascess to the same basic unit rosters, unlike Rome and Medieval.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Klaus88 posted:

Bizzarly FOTS and shogun two feel like the most balanced Total wars. Modern units wreck in the field but get wrecked when it comes to taking castles.

I suppose that has something to do with each faction having ascess to the same basic unit rosters, unlike Rome and Medieval.

You have heard of this thing called "cannons" right

Vanilla S2 was pretty tightly balanced though.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Vanilla S2 was pretty tightly balanced though.

Single player wise yeah, multiplayer wise gently caress the first few months of Naginata Monks, then gently caress the following months of Loan Sword Ashigaru. Also there where Matchlocks in there as well, gently caress them as well.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Man, in future TW I would KILL for some kind of treaty tracking tooltip. Rome 2 I peace out with some pissant eastern kingdom and then a couple turns later the Selucids ask me to join their war, and I'm like "whatever" and then my trustworthiness takes a hit because it was against the dudes I had a peace treaty with, whose name I don't even remember and I have no idea how many turns the treaty penalty lasts, or how long the treaty lasts to begin with

Also I'm pretty sure I'm still taking treaty-breaking hits when people break their treaties with ME

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RentACop posted:

Man, in future TW I would KILL for some kind of treaty tracking tooltip. Rome 2 I peace out with some pissant eastern kingdom and then a couple turns later the Selucids ask me to join their war, and I'm like "whatever" and then my trustworthiness takes a hit because it was against the dudes I had a peace treaty with, whose name I don't even remember and I have no idea how many turns the treaty penalty lasts, or how long the treaty lasts to begin with

Also I'm pretty sure I'm still taking treaty-breaking hits when people break their treaties with ME

You make to client states. The first client state declares war on the first. If you accept their call to arms you break the client state treaty with the other faction and you get a massive diplomatic hit. If you join the offensive faction you break the client state treaty with the other faction and you get a massive diplomatic hit.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Imagine four client states on the edge of a cliff.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Single player wise yeah, multiplayer wise gently caress the first few months of Naginata Monks, then gently caress the following months of Loan Sword Ashigaru. Also there where Matchlocks in there as well, gently caress them as well.

As someone with an army core of matchlock monks and naginata monks

:)

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Mans posted:

You make to client states. The first client state declares war on the first. If you accept their call to arms you break the client state treaty with the other faction and you get a massive diplomatic hit. If you join the offensive faction you break the client state treaty with the other faction and you get a massive diplomatic hit.

The best low-cost change CA could make to improve Total War would be to make the AI actually recognize client state relationships.

No, long-standing ally with important trade treaty, I am not in fact interested in joining you in declaring war on my own vassal that I just formed, are you high?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Client state A.I. is broken at the army level too. I just watched one of the Caesar in Gaul Roman clients run back and forth through a forested province all winter because I beat them to the last city of a faction that declared war on us.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shumagorath posted:

Client state A.I. is broken at the army level too. I just watched one of the Caesar in Gaul Roman clients run back and forth through a forested province all winter because I beat them to the last city of a faction that declared war on us.

that decimated army still costs 100% upkeep and that upkeep money is money that isn't being sent as tribute to you.

it's actually a brilliant way to spite your Human master :v:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Whoopee, another mod where you have to DIY fix basic poo poo. Unintuitive and confounding basic poo poo when it comes to mods, guess its total war.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So I've just reinstalled Empire: Total War for gits and shiggles, any mods you guys could recommend? Bonus points if they let me play the Mughals and/or buff the Ottomans.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I've never really used many mods for Empire, but if nothing else I would heartily recommend some mod to disable forts because that alone improves empire by a crazy amount.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Imperial Splendour is pretty decent.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

What are the best mods for Napoleon total war? (that don't include the name of a star wars character in the title).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just got Shogun 2. So far I'm liking it a lot more than Empire, the last Total War game I played after having played everyone since the first Medieval. Empire had it's charm and it was fun to conquer most of the world and I even sort of liked the gunpowder warfare, once you got high enough up the tech tree for it to work properly. I think I might also be the only person that really liked ship combat but I'm a huge sucker for big ornate ships shooting various types of cannonballs at each other. It did however feel a bit unfocused. I tried Fall of the Samurai and liked it but it felt a bit like that once you got enough artillery you could basally annihilate anyone as long as you remember to have a couple of guys with pointy sticks stand around in case a couple of people got through the barrage.

I'm really early in playing as Shimazu. Basically streamrolled my weaker neighbor but the Christian dudes appear to have expanding while I was fiddling around and have gotten pretty big. I took two of their provinces pretty easily and burned all the christian stuff but public order is atrocious and they've just landed a very sizable army near a city that I left a bit under defended so I'm probably hosed.

I really like the look of everything. The drawings for portraits are much cooler looking than the realistic style Fall of the Samurai had.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Klaus88 posted:

What are the best mods for Napoleon total war? (that don't include the name of a star wars character in the title).

The Great War is really cool, turns the game into WW1: Total War and Napoleonic: Total War III is pretty great if you're after a ton of realism.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I really like the look of everything. The drawings for portraits are much cooler looking than the realistic style Fall of the Samurai had.

The unit portraits for FoTS are supposed to be photographs, at least that's what they look like to me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

If you just want a more detailed prettier bigger scale version of Napoleon Total War, go for Masters Of Europe

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Specific question about Shogun2 Otomo: Is building leased land ever worth it? You get a lump sum of money but then it sits there producing nothing for the whole game. Also especially at the start honour is very scarce. Also should I delay building the nanban quarter at the start, until I can get it up in Buzen so as to spam accuracy improved Tercios?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

genericnick posted:

Specific question about Shogun2 Otomo: Is building leased land ever worth it? You get a lump sum of money but then it sits there producing nothing for the whole game. Also especially at the start honour is very scarce. Also should I delay building the nanban quarter at the start, until I can get it up in Buzen so as to spam accuracy improved Tercios?

It's been awhile since I played the Otomo, but I think I've never used the land lease option, probably not worth it. Also I wouldn't go the extra mile to get the Tercios, they are nice and good, but hardly a necessity to win, I found that some imported matchlock ashigaru filled that role cheaply enough (godly in defensive sieges, decent in field battles), never tried to spam them either.

The keys to victory with the Otomo are the Nanban trade ships and the priests. Focus on conquering Kyushu, set up your finances, build some ships, take the trade nodes and dominate the seas, get filthy rich and use your priests to incite christian rebellions, they are overpowered as gently caress.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If I was to play one game of Atilla Total War, which faction should I play? I tried one of the goths as per the tutorial, but I'm a bit sick of their 'muddy glum dudes' aesthetic.

EDIT: Don't own any DLC, sorry.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 15, 2016

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
If you want a challenging but very exiting and unorthodox game, play the Tanukhids. You start off as a horde and your troops are mostly low armoured but hit very hard until the late game.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Fangz posted:

If I was to play one game of Atilla Total War, which faction should I play? I tried one of the goths as per the tutorial, but I'm a bit sick of their 'muddy glum dudes' aesthetic.

EDIT: Don't own any DLC, sorry.

Non-DLC, you basically have four options:

Stinky Germanic Barbarians - while there are some differences between them, if you've played one you've played most of the others, so you already know about these more or less.

Roman Empires: The good news is that your basic infantry unit is amazing and can cut down hordes of unwashed barbarians. The bad news is that there are many, many hordes of unwashed barbarians and your economy isn't quite good enough to support proper defense on all your sprawling fronts. Play the Eastern Empire if you want a better chance to survive and an opportunity to fight the only other civilized empire in the world, play as the Western if you want a challenge. Armies are centered on their powerful superheavy infantry, but have quite decent troops in all fields.

Huns: You can't settle, and your entire game is fought with hordes. I haven't played them myself, but from what I understand they can be surprisingly tricky - you'll need to rely on raids to keep your funds up, and jinx out of the way of superior hostile armies. Don't expect to curbstomp everyone in an endless tide, you're more about hitting what's weak and running away from what's strong until the enemy no longer has the economy to support strong armies. A unique, if potentially frustrating experience if you have trouble getting to grips with their mechanics. Also obviously your army relies heavily on horsemen, though it also has surprisingly effective foot troops.

Sassanids: Overpowered bastards with a huge empire, almost no threats, a stupidly effective religion and an obvious avenue of expansion along a single front. Shame that their actual gameplay is a cakewalk, their aesthetics are pretty interesting. Armies rely heavily on shock cavalry.

If you don't like the barbarian aesthetics, I'd recommend either of the Roman Empires or the Huns, depending on whether you prefer a defensive consolidation playstyle or an aggressive raiding playstyle. That being said I think there's a fair few FreeLC factions that might shake things up a little, but I don't know too much about how they work.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I'll give the DLC breakdown, just because.

Norse: Bleh. Slight variation on stinky German barbarians and the three factions are pretty much clones of each other except for one faction getting one unique unit. Avoid.

Celts:

On the positive side, the Celts themselves are pretty cool, with their own tech/skill trees and armies based on stealth and ambushes (guerilla deployment everywhere, and the Picts are straight up ninjas with their night fighting and sneaky black blade unit) They need it too, because most of their units are squishy as hell.

However it doesn't count for much, because as always starting in England means you spend the first 20 turns beating up on other Celts, take over the British Isles, and you've basically won the game. Fairly neat but unfortunately positioned.

Langobards:

These are basically the coolest germanic factions in the game, but they're still germanic barbarians starting in the heart of germanic barbarian country. Pointless. (Sidenote, you will learn to hate these guys so much after fighting them a few times.)

Empire of Sands:

Best DLC pack by far. Has actually well designed unique campaigns that take you far away from the Huns and the factions are all cool as hell.

Slavs:

The Slavs basically have a couple of insanely powerful things: Free colonization/cheap city upgrades, absurdly lethal poison archers, the ability to build wonders and settle anywhere. On the flipside their starting position is right on top of the Huns and most of their units are incredibly weak. Also poison archers are a friendly fire nightmare that are hard to deploy out of defensive sieges that you will be fighting endlessly to survive.

They're theoretically neat but I actually really hate how they play.

For FLC, the big one is White Huns, basically an Eastern take on the Huns that start on the outskirts of the Sassinid Empire and you can play them without neutering the Hun's proper. Haven't tried them but most people seem to think they're more fun to play than vanilla Huns.

madmac fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 15, 2016

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tomn posted:

Sassanids: Overpowered bastards with a huge empire, almost no threats, a stupidly effective religion and an obvious avenue of expansion along a single front. Shame that their actual gameplay is a cakewalk, their aesthetics are pretty interesting. Armies rely heavily on shock cavalry.

If you don't like the barbarian aesthetics, I'd recommend either of the Roman Empires or the Huns, depending on whether you prefer a defensive consolidation playstyle or an aggressive raiding playstyle. That being said I think there's a fair few FreeLC factions that might shake things up a little, but I don't know too much about how they work.

The Sassanids are a bit trickier now with the White Huns crushing everything in Parthia.

The Lahkmids are very cool since you start as a vassal of the Sassanids with a great chain of events that can boost relations or doom you into war with them, plus they're free. You can also quickly convert to judaism and create a jewish caliphate.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Burgundians and Alans deserve a mention for being standouts among the Germans. The Alans are even more horse based then the Huns and play like no other faction. The Burgundians have the most unique and fun factional units among the Germans. Barbed Skirmishers are my favorite unit in the entire game

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
:siren:New Total War: Warhammer thread is up with a detailed OP here:siren:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

shalcar posted:

:siren:New Total War: Warhammer thread is up with a detailed OP here:siren:

Thanks for doing the hard work man.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How is Warhammer if you think Shogun 2 is the Only Good Total War?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

StashAugustine posted:

How is Warhammer if you think Shogun 2 is the Only Good Total War?

To me it rivals Shogun in some respects and surpasses it in others.