Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SystemLogoff posted:

I know we joke that the LP curse is a real thing, but I think you totally need to start writing your LP updates in a salt circle. :v:

Put it around the computer, not yourself. Otherwise you're trapped in there with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

It's nice that your wife acknowledges the LP curse as a real and true thing.

Chokes McGee posted:

Considering last time it literally almost cost her her life I imagine there's a reason. :gonk:

Fat Samurai posted:

Surprised that she knows about this one, then. Here's hoping nothing else happens.

:negative:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

We invoked Murpy's Law.
Never something you want to do. I blame the Puppet.

Syncope
May 7, 2007
We need more adventures of Frank and Puppet.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Syncope posted:

We need more adventures of Frank and Puppet.

Francis N. Steen and Marion Ette; Forensic Accountants.

See these frequent payments to Charles Macarthey's Socks Appeal, pardner? None of them are for the same amount, but each month's totals are the same. Looks like it was protection money. Our victim was shaken down and bled dry financially...
Then literally.

It wasn't protection money, it was insurance to ensure a painless death
And it looks like his policy lapsed. yyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

How did you know that Marion?

...My... Informant?

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 7, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Good news, everyone! A new update is dropping tomorrow! And we've only burned down half the house in the process!

quote:

Put this in 150x150 avatar form and I will buy the poo poo out of it

Syncope
May 7, 2007

FeyerbrandX posted:

Francis N. Steen and Marion Ette; Forensic Accountants.

It's everything I hoped for! :derp:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Good news, everyone! A new update is dropping tomorrow! And we've only burned down half the house in the process!

Put this in 150x150 avatar form and I will buy the poo poo out of it

Can you post a 150x150 puppet? Scaling up from 75 doesn't look too pretty as I'd like.

I must have my baffling ncsisicsi inspired hell puppet looking fabulous.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

FeyerbrandX posted:

Can you post a 150x150 puppet? Scaling up from 75 doesn't look too pretty as I'd like.

I must have my baffling ncsisicsi inspired hell puppet looking fabulous.

Clearly you need to put the 75x image in the center and just surround it with blingee gifs.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The first one swings both ways, if you're into that sort of thing.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Here's the image you wanted!

FeyerbrandX posted:

The first one swings both ways, if you're into that sort of thing.

Oh, aren't I, though?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Canto IV, Stanza 2: Lord of Dorkness

'ello, loves! Oh, aren't you just the big slab of meat?

Sorry, paleface. The Bull don't swing that way.

More's the pity.

You guys have been parading in and out of here like it was goddamn Thanksgiving, you know that?

Maybe it is! I mean, we don't know how long we've been in here.

Mmm, turkey.

Oh now that's just wrong.

Is anyone else worried about the lack of guards here?

Quit your whining. It's just a really long hallway with a blind corner and only one set of exits at the very end!

See? It's fine!

Were you always this stupid, or did you huff paint fumes as a kid?

I'm sure he was born that way.

I see what you did there!

Gloves are off, we'll be seeing more and more ambush fights from here. These are Level 14 Assassins. The game is not loving around anymore, and it will gently caress around even less as we slog onwards.

Assassins are nasty, hit hard, and—not surprisingly—fight dirty.

We'll be fine. What could they possibly do that we haven't seen before?

:salt:

I'M BLIND, ABANDON ALL HOPE, EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF

Well that was a quick turnaround.

Blind III is... quite a bit higher than what we're able to cast right now. On top of that, Blindness Powder actually does a significant amount of damage; the Sorceror's armor is just too high for it to get through. Raging Bull will also eat Blindness Powder on the next turn, and he'll end up taking 40-50 HP from it.

Luckily for us, we have equalizers. :twisted:

HOW YOU DOIN'

I hope you're fans of big red numbers, because this team is all offense and no defense. Our goal is stick buffs/debuffs as fast as possible, then let Bull and Vlad (and in our case, the Sorceror) go to work. I like to think Ziggy switches to the Mad Max guitar that shoots fire while on this team. My photoshop skills suck, so you're just going to have to imagine that.

Anyway, assassins can also counterattack, like the one that just died. The Minotaur evaded it, because Knight's March. :smugdog:

Good thing you're here, Bull. It's about time we had someone cranking out damage.

Ain't no thing, boss.

Way better than Vlad over there. You know he can only hit one person at a time?

No. Get out.

I'm serious! It's like, ooh, ooh, look at me. I'm the weepy Prince of Darkness!

Heh, more like Prince of Dorkness.

Noice

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU

:gibs:

Yikes. You need to work on your temper, Vlad.

Although Bull's max damage is higher, Vlad's variance is much, much tighter. That means when he clobbers someone, he clobbers them. With the Minotaur, you'll often see wacky swings in damage amounts on alternating turns. On the other hand, if Vlad gets a crit, a good set of buffs, or both, he's going to wreck people pretty reliably.

Once the Vampire gets past midgame, you should almost always be charging up Inhuman Strike unless you're due for a re-buff or an emergency heal. Even then, Blood Sword will get you back on your feet up for two Energy, so just keeping swinging! Once his Limit Break's filled up, you can fire Inhuman Strike, and everyone gets a good laugh out of it. I mean, except for the enemy, but who cares about them? Not us, because we're evil. Evil!

Also, the assassins were carrying acid flasks and molotovs, making them the least subtle assassins in existance. Acid Flasks we've already seen, but firebombs are an even bigger deal. They do a massive amount of damage, and they also hit everyone in the opposing party. These are a great bailout button against high level mobs—gee, no foreshadowing there—and multi-target boss fights. We could've used one against Myles, but we managed, so whatevs.

Bull also picks up Rending Strike, which is pretty good against bosses of both the mini and regular variety. No big surprises here—it's a regular strike that hits defense harder than usual. If you're already doing zero damage, then you're getting a big boost towards punching through heavy armor, and that means getting opponents into spellcasting range faster. R.B.'s Rending Strike isn't as good as the Troll's, but it'll do.

I then immediately forget he has it for the rest of this cell block because I have the memory of a goldfish. :downs:

Could this be any more of a trap?

This is where the boulder comes rollin' down, right? I mean, why'd you even take the—

Dibs

Huh. Didn't expect that one to pan out.

He had to get one right eventually.

Brr.

I thought you couldn't feel cold?

I can't. Just trying to be a team player!

'bout time someone around here was...

:rolleyes:

*whistles* That's a pretty steep drop.

Sure is. Welp, here I go!

No

Seriously. If you drag us off one more cliff, I'm going to knock you out myself.

Hmpf. Killjoys.

...whaddya mean, "one more?"

What in the world was that?

...playtime's over, kids. We need healing. Zigs, you're on the bench.

Suit yourself, love.

*zap*

...really think we have a case here, Frank. I mean, it's still self-defense if you're being held against your will. Right?

Hi boss! What's up?

:mad:

So what's with the emergency summon?

There's something flappy up there, and it's sure as poo poo not a cute little bird.

Man, it would be great if it were. It'd be like, sup, bird! And then it would try to fly between some pipes or something.

...right. Well, just keep an eye out for a dragon or something.

And if we see it?

Run like hell?

Seems like a solid plan to me.

A sorcerer?! He's made it this far?

Oh no. Does that mean...

No, we're secured the storeroom. The doors are safe.

Thank the Gods. Without them, we'd have no choice but to negotiate.

They're throwing balanced parties of adventurers at us now. All of these guys are Level 15, and we're going to want to home in on the Cleric like a guided missle, because he'll start doing stuff like this:

Which means it hurts worse when his cohorts do something like this:

Way to take one for the team, buddy!

I hate you guys so much

Hamstring inflicts Slow, which is really bad. Maybe not as bad as paralysis, but you don't want one of your guys with crippled agility and initiative. At this point in the game, if you go dead last, you are probably going to make that phrase literal—especially if they Hamstring your healer.

The minotaur's damage curve, ladies and gentlemen. (Okay, the Cleric has some pretty dope armor, but still.)

We have to beat on their healer for a while before we break his armor—which is just great, because the entire time he's buffing and healing his party. I've mentioned it before, but it sucks being on the other end of this poo poo. It really makes you think about what a standard RPG protagonist looks like from an outsider's perspective. I mean, Cecil Harvey was the real villain, when you think about it. I don't agree with all of his policies, but Zemus had some good ide*bong*

Anyway, our current lineup is brain-dead simple to use and thus a good choice for beginners. Drop Blood Rage, Grave Mist, Mage Armor, and Black Locust on turn one, then roll up your sleeves and get to work. Even without a kickass longsword, the Sorceror can still fling ice and fire around for big damage. The Witch provides all the healing, and the Minotaur and Vampire hit things as hard as the laws of physics will allow. Don't even worry about your fighters conserving energy. Just run your finger down their skill list from AoEs to single strike skills to regular attacks and fire the first one that's available.

Die, unholy abomination!

gkkkk

I thought you had to be hit by silver or something.

You thought wrong

I'm not kidding about those buffs. That fighter in the middle isn't fun times by himself, and he's a million times worse with his stats jacked up. Fortunately, we have Willow to patch us up. This entire fight is lobbing bombs at each other while the healers spam spells. It's dangerous, but also fun. Nothing like a huge, evenly matched brawl!

Eventually, we whittle down the Cleric's ridiculous defense and

god dammit

Like I was saying, we eventually whittle down his armor enough that we can damage him with spells, and

Okay sure. The point is, the Cleric finally goes away for good. That makes our life a million times easier, and we mop up the rest of these twits the usual way.

dis party :allears:

Oh hey! This is Bull Rush, which we haven't seen before. It's magical damage that uses the Minotaur's current Strength rating as its base. Obviously buffs will affect this, so if you have a situation where you've started to crack an enemy's armor but still need damage right now, this is a great way to get it.

Hang in there, bro! You got this!

he;lp

Vlad spends half this fight at sub-10 HP. :laffo: Between Willow's level 3 heal spell, multiple Quick Heals, and chugging that fighter's blood like he was some sort of sanguine keg party, we somehow keep him on his feet. Meanwhile...

I wasn't kidding about the throwing bombs part. That's a whole lot of HP flying around.

Yeah how's that feel bitch

What the hell happened to him while I was gone?

It's a long story, and quite frankly, I don't care about any of it.

Me either, so that works out pretty well!

Well now! Here's why the Ghost's ridiculously low armor isn't nearly as bad as it might seem.

As Ziggy levels up, he'll gain levels in a passive skill called "Incorporeal." This means it's really, really difficult to damage him, and it gets increasingly more so as he levels up. His Defense is never going to top 50-60 in the end game, so it balances out more than you'd expect. Still, I don't think I need to explain why having a built-in damage soak that can't be broken is a good thing.

Could reeeeally use Frank right now.

quote:

Huh. I dunno why, but my left eye started twitching real bad.

you should see someone about that

Yeah? You have any good recommendations?

...think I'm gonna take a pass on that one.

Maybe it's for the best.

This is a pretty long level compared to what we've seen so far. A lot of tough fights, too.

These mages are a pain in the rear end, especially without Frank. In fact, they can wipe the entire party if they all decide to cast Flare at once. Fortunately, we have a gigantic minotaur and a powerful healer, and they have poo poo durability. Fight's over in four turns, although our HP is worse for the wear.

Flare sucks. It doesn't help that I'm an idiot and completely miss that the Minotaur has an ability which increases fire and ice resistance. :doh: Oh well, everything comes out okay in the end.

Better than okay, in fact! Yes, that's an AoE HP drain Vlad just got. We will be using this quite a lot in future cell blocks. It doesn't quite make this the AoE Party, but we've got pretty good crowd control nonetheless!

HP regeneration is kind of ehn. Usually, you take either giant amounts of damage or barely any at all, so getting a little back every round doesn't make much of a difference. Still, regen for the entire party. The guards may be bringing the lumber, but we're not too far behind.

Now that the mages are dead, it's loot time!

:shivdurf: It is a point of particular interest that magical seals are best used customized to the target.

Blah blah blah. I already know this poo poo. Skip to the good parts!

Y'know... this sounds an awful lot like we can break out of here without actually freeing the spirit.

How the gently caress is that gonna get me laid?

...I think we've got some bad news about that...

What? Oh, no, I'll be fine. I always use protection spells. :c00lbert:

You're a pig.

AUGH! It's a furry convention!

When we get done with this binding, I am going back through each floor and personally cleansing it with fire.

Need help?

Wouldn't turn it down.

loving finally.

You know, we still don't know what all the flapping was.

And hopefully, we never find out.

I wouldn't put real good odds on that...

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 10, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

I'm dying here, help

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Captain Bravo posted:

I'm dying here, help

i can definitely help with that

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

i'm the one they call dr. feelgood/i'm the one who make you feel alright

You know that you're going to have to pay for licensing fees if you keep doing that.

killjoy

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Here's the image you wanted!

That's much better, I'll clean mine up tonight when I get home from work..

e: yours to do with what you will

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 10, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
We have mostly fought humans and ghosts of humans so far, haven't we? Wonder if the endgame is going to skew toward monsters geased or turned by the power of the prison.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
welp new avatar gained LP successful good job everyone

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

We have mostly fought humans and ghosts of humans so far, haven't we? Wonder if the endgame is going to skew toward monsters geased or turned by the power of the prison.

Or one of the heroes is an angel or something.

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
The puppet is far less horrifying when scaled up. I wonder why.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Bacchante posted:

The puppet is far less horrifying when scaled up. I wonder why.

In the 75px portrait it's hard to make out the features and it leaves stuff up to the imagination. Scaled up, all I can see is :keke:.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AlphaKretin posted:

In the 75px portrait it's hard to make out the features and it leaves stuff up to the imagination. Scaled up, all I can see is :keke:.

Plus, dat bitchin' ascot

Fayrn
Apr 5, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

Luckily for us, we have equalizers. :twisted:

HOW YOU DOIN'

:gibs: :gibs: :gibs:

YESSSSSSSSSSS :unsmigghh:

The results from Damage Buffs --> Dirge of Frailty --> Wild/Power Swing are a little more impressive if you've been running that group from the start and paying the skill trainer to up the Minotaur's Strength and Weapon Damage, but bisecting a group of enemies on a good damage roll is an endless source of amusement either way.

Fayrn fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 12, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Fayrn posted:

YESSSSSSSSSSS :unsmigghh:

The results from Damage Buffs --> Dirge of Frailty --> Wild/Power Swing are a little more impressive if you've been running that group from the start and paying the skill trainer to up the Minotaur's Strength and Weapon Damage, but bisecting a group of enemies on a good damage roll is an endless source of amusement either way.

You say that, but it's Vlad's 225 shortly after made me :stonk: really, really hard.

Team Max Carnage is pretty incredible if you can deal with the rocket tag. :allears:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I can't remember if it's been mentioned, but how do you deal with out-of-fight healing? Can you use Vlad's abilities, and if so how does that interact with the energy system?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I can't remember if it's been mentioned, but how do you deal with out-of-fight healing? Can you use Vlad's abilities, and if so how does that interact with the energy system?

The Vampire heals based off of HP for the most part - you can use that outside of combat and then Blood Sword an enemy once you get in to another one.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
As for your second question:

Chokes McGee posted:

The thing about Energy in Paper Sorceror is that it doesn't regenerate to full after fights. The only way to pump it back up is to start a fresh round of combat (+1 per round) or use the Focus ability, thusly:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
A ha, I had forgotten thank. Thankee.

Fayrn
Apr 5, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

Team Max Carnage is pretty incredible if you can deal with the rocket tag. :allears:

The rocket tag becomes much more bearable for a couple cell blocks as you get certain newer skills, but then the regular encounter difficulty changes from going up an incline to a sheer cliff face. :argh:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I'm usually not That Goon, but if anyone is interested in playing along with the LP, the game is just $1 on the Humble Store for today and tomorrow. :toot:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Contrary to popular belief, this thread is not abandoned. New update drops either tomorrow or Sunday. At the rate I'm going, I should be done with this by at least 2020!*

* card subject to change

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Chokes McGee posted:

Contrary to popular belief, this thread is not abandoned. New update drops either tomorrow or Sunday. At the rate I'm going, I should be done with this by at least 2020!*

What can I say, but to pace yourself? I've been going through the Exile Trilogy for over three years now, and I'm still strong(ish). Being done by 2020 is nothing to be ashamed of. :)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

berryjon posted:

What can I say, but to pace yourself? I've been going through the Exile Trilogy for over three years now, and I'm still strong(ish). Being done by 2020 is nothing to be ashamed of. :)

Given how much FFL2 slowed down after the first few updates I'm shooting for the title of Slowest LP on the forums

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Given how much FFL2 slowed down after the first few updates I'm shooting for the title of Slowest LP on the forums

You've got Elentor to beat, so good luck.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FeyerbrandX posted:

You've got Elentor to beat, so good luck.

Even before that, Planescape Torment and Sakura Taisen are in the upper echelons.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Canto IV, Stanza 3: Crimes Against Nature

Okay, gently caress this.

Chief?

All this spellcasting has me exhausted. I'm not doing poo poo until I get a good night's sleep.

Now seems like a good time to top off our HP and Energy before we hit the next floor. Mid-level breaks like this are going to get more and more common the deeper we go, so better get comfortable with them now. In fact, since encounters go away permanently after you beat them, there's nothing to keep you from warping back after every fight and topping off. As far as I'm concerned, it's not cheating. They wouldn't give it to you if they didn't want you to use it.

Mister Fluffykins nooooooooooooo :cry:

SNRRRRwho what now

Uh I mean back into slumber, minion, you're interrupting my fiendish plotting

...whatever. zzzzz

Alright, ready to go!

I have some concerns about our team.

Wha? Why?

:stonklol:

Mostly, I'm worred I'll die laughing.

You're already dead.

Excellent point. Off we go!

Lesse here...

:shivdurf: He turned from his tomes and notes, resolved and confident of the correct phrasing of the spell. He took a quick swig from his mages' mead to prepare his throat for the lengthy incantation. He took a breath, whispered, "I'll protect you, El!" and began his work.

This is some straight trash, mate.

No poo poo. Reign barely managed to keep its plot together. This one probably doesn't even bother.

shut up it's historically accurate and I should study it

Whatever you say, love. Whatever you say.

How you doin' back there, Vlad?

:ohdear:

Glad to hear it!

Here we have an assassin and a Level 15 fighter because why not. Left unchecked, these guys can crank out lethal amounts of damage, so we start off with Dirge of Weakness.

Pablo Picasso never got called an rear end in a top hat... unlike you~

Hey, that's just mean. :(

Truth hurts, rear end in a top hat!

Sadly, not everyone has been keeping pace with our party's growth.

That's... that's it?

Oh, what the... I knew I shouldn't have plugged a shield arm into this stupid thing. We should probably port out of here and get him some new—

Nope we're fine

It's worth mentioning that Knight's March is starting to get silly. It boosts based on a percentage instead of a fixed amount, which means Vlad picked up a ridiculous +9 Strength. It also is giving 5-7 agility across the board, which is a big deal.

How big?

Come at me, bro

Uh, guys? I think we should probably hang back on this one.

LOL NOPE

:getin:

Woah.

I move like they do. :cool:

Extra agility plus Grave Mist means more dodging, and more dodging means more laughing at our opponents' inane flailings. I like laughing, and you should too. It's healthy.

Know what else is fun? Remember that +9 Strength Vlad picked up?

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I do more damage than you? :smug:

...it's a puppet, Vlad. You're taunting an enchanted wooden doll.

No, I'm owning an enchanted wooden doll. :pwn:

I worry about him sometimes.

I don't. If I started now, I'd never stop.

I take it back. This thing's customizations are just the best. Why don't you have customizations, Vlad?

i'll always win

:mad:

We need better parts before the Puppet can get back into the swing of things, so for now, he's on shield duty. The various flavors of Shield Arm grant pretty hefty defense bonuses and the Defender skill, which is always a plus. We're sacrificing attack power, though, and we're rapidly wearing out those basic parts. Until we can reload, the Puppet will have to turtle. Besides, -11 Defense against a heavily armored target isn't too bad; he just pales in comparison to the tactical nuclear warhead that is Vlad.

In the meantime, we try out some new skill combos...

Alley oop

Boom chakalaka :thurman:

And the crowd goes wild!

Meh

Seriously, a little support wouldn't kill you guys.

*wild applause and hooting*

Oh come on!

Wait. You feel that?

Nnnno?

Of course you don't.

Because you're not sensitive to magic. :iamafag:

There'll be no living with him now.

There was before?

Are we raiding their junk storeroom or something? What's next, a diamond-studded gravy boat?

mm gravy

...?!

...huh. Well, anyway. Moving on!

Great. Spooky, Creepy, you're out. Hippie, Beefy, you're in.

*poof* Ha! I was ready this time!

Jeez, you could at least give a guy time to find his loincloth.

Ugh. Here, put these on.

...khakis?

They're stylish!

I've just seen sights I can't unsee, bro.

Me too, Vlad. Me too.

...that sounds a lot closer than before...

Get ready, everybody. We're probably looking at a dragon. Maybe a gryphon if we're lucky. Worse case, it's a pteron with—

MOTHER OF YOG-SOTHOTH WHAT IN THE EVERLOVING gently caress

do not want do not want

:gonk:

This is the Flying Beast. Yes, its name is literally "Flying Beast." Even the game doesn't know what the gently caress. Of the list of monsters you expected to fly down and attack us, this thing probably wasn't on it.

Do something do something why is no one doing anything

Okay! Okay, good plan. We'll just play defense until we see what this thing can—

OW

Quit whining! Hit the thing with the thing!

augh

:barf:

*huddles in a ball* not the horns, take the rest of the party, just leave the horns alone

we can't take him with just the four of us WE CAN'T DO IT

quote:

the party's in trouble

if only i were there to help

tee hee

Whatever the hell this thing is, it hits like a freight train. We'd normally be right proper hosed at this point, but in my attempt to throw literally every skill in our arsenal at it, I stumbled across an equalizer.

HOO HAH I'M JUST GETTIN' STAHTED

This is knockdown, which does a mild amount of direct HP damage and—more importantly—can cause whatever action your target had planned to evaporate into the aether. The Flying Beast is apparently weak against Knockdown since the skill has a near 100% success rate against it. That's... quite a bit higher than usual.

Unfortunately, we can't use Knockdown every round, as it has a two turn cooldown. Still, costing the enemy a third of their actions for just 2 Energy makes this fight suck a whole lot less. In addition to buying us time to heal up, it also gives us an opportunity to discover a comforting limitation of the Flying Beast:

It hits hard, but its defense sucks. We punch through it pretty quick, Vlad fills up his HP, and Willow gets our defense back up. We're ready to go!

gkkk

Whoops, scratch that. Looks like we'll have to hold off on the killshot for now. Emergency backup healer, engage!

GAH GAKK ptoo.

That's disgusting, Vlad. I thought you just made some arcane gestures or something.

Have you seen me use any skills that didn't involve blood?

Seriously, what have you been eating? Limburger? Bleh.

Everybody's back on their feet. Time to end this.

Saved again by Raging Bull!

OH COME ON

Well, at least we get some loot out of it.

This better be worth it.

Huh. That's actually not too bad.

Yeah, but what's in the bottle?

What kind of perfume would that thing even be guarding? Eau de making GBS threads Yourself in Terror?

This whole thing is why I sacrifice to Elder Abominations from afar.

...isn't that kind of dangerous?

Seriously. It sounds like the kind of thing that impacts long-term mental health.

As long as Cthulhu doesn't take a poo poo on my doorstep, why the gently caress should I care?

...though it does explain some things.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Meanwhile, back at the room...

I'll keep watch. you owe me...

Well, maybe not if the looks on their faces will be like I think. Tee hee!

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 22, 2016

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

That... thing looked like the Flier or whatever from Demon's Crest

But a lot more horrifying.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The human face and scorpion tail suggest a manticore, but the rest of the body isn't particularly lion-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

FeyerbrandX posted:

That... thing looked like the Flier or whatever from Demon's Crest

But a lot more horrifying.

Holy crap, someone else who played that game?! I thought I was the only one! Granted, it was tough as balls and I couldn't make it past the first level.

• Locked thread