Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Sarah played him like a fiddle, and it was both hilarious and tragic. Katz is a great character in Zeta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

brainwrinkle posted:

Sarah played him like a fiddle, and it was both hilarious and tragic. Katz is a great character in Zeta.

Poor guy just wanted to be his childhood hero without knowing why it was a bad thing to aspire to. Rip.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Katz might have been kind of a poo poo at times but he also was on point a few others, like that time the Titans are trying to gas a colony and everyone else is too busy dueling their rivals to deal with the containers so Katz handles it. Kid is alright. Wouldn't want him in another show, but as a case of someone trying to be The Gundam Main Character he's good.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The GIG posted:

oohhboy has made it pretty clear they're not happy the entire movie wasn't Amuro and Char bumping into each other so its more than just "comes across". That's basically the low down on all their crits in the thread, "it isn't exactly what I wanted so it's bad".

At this point I'm going to suggest people just put oohhboy on ignore and stop responding to them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tae posted:

Katz deserved to die

He seriously did.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

He seriously did.

Yikes.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Srice posted:

The disconnect here is that plenty of people have explained why they feel Quess is important and you're just doubling down on calling her unlikable. I'm not getting a clear view on what makes those other characters you're namedropping different, other than they're not written by Tomino.

You wanted relevant names, I gave them to you. Even if Quess was likeable, she contributes nothing to the movie. Chan is likeable and like Quess I treat her all the same.

Tae posted:

Katz deserved to die
There, a Tomino name.

I guess I should be sorry Srice for not racking my brains enough over how ever many seasons of Gundam I have seen. You did move the goal posts and I humoured you. Here is another, Reccoa when she turns for "reasons". Kai is probably one until he grows.

The GIG posted:

oohhboy has made it pretty clear they're not happy the entire movie wasn't Amuro and Char bumping into each other so its more than just "comes across". That's basically the low down on all their crits in the thread, "it isn't exactly what I wanted so it's bad".
Think of it this way, in Star Wars I toss the Prequel Trilogy because they are bad and damage the series as a whole. Better off ignoring the whole mess and focusing on what's good. I do this with Quess and Co because they took away resources that other greater potential directions. The lost potential is frustrating as it is endemic to him.

oohhboy posted:

I don't toss Nanai as it shows Char might actually be capable of a mature relationship even if to something as shallow akin to an affair. She see Char privately like no other character has seen him before. The whole pregnant thing goes nowhere, likely tossed in at the last second for drama, but her character brings something new. More of this would have been a far better use of time.

CCA probably wasn't necessary had they did more in Zeta (I mean they just tossed Amuro out of the story like a used rag) and included something in ZZ. What the hell are these pivotal characters doing the whole time? CCA really is a film made for fans looking for that big fight, things that didn't happen or the character development that didn't happen. It is pretty though.
As tsob said they could have closed it out without CCA. Char and Amuro still had stories to tell and that doesn't mean it has to be fighting. The name of the Movie is Char's Counter Attack, the whole point was to close out their relationship implying pewpew might be a very strong factor, not side character quests to get killed. Both of them promptly ignore these new characters anyway. Unlike Nanai who brings new thing to the table, from her we know more about Char. Bright and Amuro should be discussing their old war stories in an attempt to see why they failed.

Maybe Char and Amuro run into each other in a bar and they are initially tense, but they share with each other their stories and lament their losses. They get kicked out in a bar fight again sharing that momentary common bond they had in Zeta. As they drink from a bottle in a paper bag in an alleyway they still don't like each other, but the hatred has passed and equal respect forms. Char's final counter attack isn't physical, it's a challenge to reach the stars with the technology he has developed with the remaining Zeon resources. They spar one last time, we don't see who wins as that isn't important anymore.

You accuse me of wanting more punch mans yet I offer less violent character directions as do others. Some don't have WMDs, some keeps CCA intact but drops the chaff. Instead of using character to push a message, he could have used the state of the world. Maybe the economics were bad or people perceived some sort of persecution, lack of Fed diligence allowed radicals to grow or they botched the DeZeoning. Maybe there is still resentment from the Titian gassings.

GimmickMan posted:

Katz might have been kind of a poo poo at times but he also was on point a few others, like that time the Titans are trying to gas a colony and everyone else is too busy dueling their rivals to deal with the containers so Katz handles it. Kid is alright. Wouldn't want him in another show, but as a case of someone trying to be The Gundam Main Character he's good.
"Katz deserved to die" wouldn't be a thing if he was remembered for something else other than his overwhelming terribleness. If he learned he was terrible burden trying to do things he wasn't good at, the viewer would less likely wish death on him.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Anything Katz does wrong is because he wants to be like Amuro

He doesn't remember the Amuro that felt deeply conflicted about what he was doing, he only saw the Amuro that went against authority to do what needed to be done

Real weird to wish death on him and not Amuro as well if you wanna apply the same standards, the main difference is that a lot of dumb poo poo Amuro pulled off tended to not horribly backfire

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Although I guess I would expand it to, it's generally weird to wish death on kid characters

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

oohhboy I half-agree with some of the things you say and I think it is important to have a voice of discord around to challenge popular opinions, but you seemingly can't comprehend that anybody else would care about things you don't like and the only valid opinion is yours so

Lemon-Lime posted:

At this point I'm going to suggest people just put oohhboy on ignore and stop responding to them.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

closeted republican posted:

You can still fell pity for her circumstances and still find her annoying. :ssh:

the part i take issue with is people finding joy in her death.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

dogsicle posted:

the part i take issue with is people finding joy in her death.

I dunno. Honestly, if I find a character unlikable, regardless of what the author intent might've been, I will feel happy for not having to deal with them anymore, especially if I'm enjoying the rest of the show. Ages hardly matter when you're talking about a cartoon, too.

It's like the whole ending of Zeta, which was meant to be depressing but felt positively amazing instead because I hated everyone in that show. Except for Emma, whose death did genuinely made me sad. She deserved better.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I generally don't like it when a character I dislike does unless they are like just so bad I can't stand having them on my screen. Like I hate a lot of kid characters in this series like Katz, Quess, and Hathaway, but I'm not gonna wish death on them or say they deserve it, because that's just lovely. Those characters can turn around and become better later.

Unless they're Hayato, who got crushed in the most amazing loving way possible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Look, oohhboy, not liking a movie because it's not a story that interests you is perfectly fine. That doesn't make it a bad movie, though. CCA isn't about what you want it to be about, and saying it should have been is just, well, stupid. You keep talking about what Tomino "should have done" but that's just bullshit. He and his team told the story they wanted to tell (more or less) and it's not the one you want.

Saying "I wanted a movie all about Char and Amuro's rivalry and what I got was one about how they're both failing the next generation is disappoiting" is fine. Saying "This movie is crap because it focuses on characters that aren't Char/Amuro" isn't, because that's not what the movie is about.

If you can't get that people who make media might have other goals than the one you want and that your expectations are all on you and don't affect the quality of the work, you're gonna hate a poo poo-ton of good things for bad reasons.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think there is a massive misunderstanding, I like CCA.

The core story is fine, it gets New-typey as hell at the end, but it doesn't damage the message. The core theme is that some people don't see eye to eye even in death. Conflict is born out of misunderstanding. Yet hope wins out this time and for other people they start understanding each other for a while.

I just don't like the B-story and given how easily I can see it cut without doing any damage which reinforces that view.

Wishing death of people is something we all do, look at all those people wishing death upon real leaders or villains in the world while others wish to protect them. Fiction is one of the few places that wish is granted and is of no real consequence.

We have been having misunderstandings alot of the time as you and I make assumptions about each other.

Like Amuro and Char, we are not going to see eye to eye on this as we both sides believe whole heartedly that they are valid. I am invariability going to run against popular opinion due to the fact I came into Gundam from a different direction. Maybe from my side I see you liking a poo poo ton of Bad things for Bad reasons.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The "B-Story" being cut would damage the hell out of the "core story". It is in no way, shape or form "easily cut", and most of the ideas you keep putting forward to replace it are incredibly shallow and are just you trying to rephrase "I didn't like these characters". The reason everyone lines up to take a swing at you every time you post is because you come in with an insanely me-against-the-world attitude, and despite the inflated amount of words your crits don't even remotely have the depth to back them up.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's not the b-story is the point we're trying to make.

You're just wrong about he stuff you say, and then get angry when called on it.

Edit: There's a lot of interpretations possible of the movie, fo shure, but Quess and Hathaway are an integral part of the movie, they can't just be dismissed as "unimportant B-plot". Same with most of your similar complaints about other Gundam animes. For your interpretation/analysis to be worth something you need to take everything into account, not just what you like/want.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 11, 2016

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I do take them into account, that's why I dislike the b-story so much. You see it as a core need, I don't. It's going against popular opinion and I know I am going to get my legs broken anyway no matter how I phrase it. That's the nature of how it is and I am willing to take the risk.

I offer possible alternative choices on what might have been, you beat me for it. One of the best nuggets of discussion was when someone offered their own possible fix on the perceived problem I had with some character interaction, I still don't like the original, but I have a better understanding of from this. Examining alternatives is how I analysis and solve perceived problems. I tinker with the plot and imagine what might have happened.

I am sorry for not using whatever strict rules you have set yourself and if you are offended by how I see it there is nothing to be done.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

lmao

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What exactly would be the thematic center of the movie if you cut all that "B-Plot." It would just be Amuro and Char fighting without it saying anything but "man, Char and Amuro sure don't like each other very much."

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

People aren't going after you because you hold the forbidden opinion, people are going after you because you are a colossal idiot rear end in a top hat.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am the one with the forbidden opinion tyvm.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

What exactly would be the thematic center of the movie if you cut all that "B-Plot." It would just be Amuro and Char fighting without it saying anything but "man, Char and Amuro sure don't like each other very much."

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Should have posted the hosed up badly artifacted one.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The GIG posted:

People aren't going after you because you hold the forbidden opinion, people are going after you because you are a colossal idiot rear end in a top hat.

You're the one throwing actual insults, not me.

ImpAtom posted:

Fundamentally misunderstanding. Zeon think they right and if you don't like it you die. Feds don't want to die. This evolves as Zeon loses material support from each conflict. Zeon re-arms thinking the Fed are coming after them, the Feds don't touch them thinking if they leave it alone it will go away. They are both wrong. This was the result of the OYW not being resolved, no punishment dealt out, no discussion as to how the gently caress did this happen. The Titans in some part born from this lack of reaction while being a power grab.

No one talks and this is repeated again and again leading us to CCA. Char and Amuro finally do talk, but it is too late, they are going to die and they don't have the time to come to any sort of understanding. This is repeated in the greater conflict where Zeon only ends because they can't fight anymore and Zeon would have survived had they engaged with the Feds outside of conflict. This lack of communication and action is seen inside the Feds themselves when thy are ordered not to intervene.

When individuals do talk and try to come to an understanding it almost seems like the universe goes out of it's way to kill these people. See Kayra Su. It is endlessly tragic.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

this is unironically me most of the time. robots are cool.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You guys done yet? When is Origin part 3 going to be released? I just finished watching Artesia's Sorrow and it was just as good as the first episode.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I hated Katz for all of Zeta but I felt bad for him when he finally bit it. Kids are stupid.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is Play-asia the go-to for import games? It's giving me 4 weeks to get Gundam Breaker 3, wanted to see if there's faster options to the UK.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is Play-asia the go-to for import games? It's giving me 4 weeks to get Gundam Breaker 3, wanted to see if there's faster options to the UK.

I got mine from an Ebay seller that might be a place to look.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

BizarroAzrael posted:

Amazon.co.jp will ship games internationally now which happened, coincidentally, shortly after Play-Asia went full Gamergate on Twitter.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Doesn't exactly help trying to get the SEA release though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
We finally got some news on the BF OVAs. Well, as far as model kits can be news.

Gyancelot,

and ZZ II.

Both of these are much closer to S1's aesthetic than Try's, so I'm pretty hopeful for this OVA.

EDIT: Also

Pandaguy.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 12, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I am so loving sick of Bearguy mods as the obligatory cute one. I think it was the Build Fighter manga that had an Asshimar with a cat mod that was pretty great, and I'd love to see them use new suits as a base for cute mods. The Zock and Kapool could surely have something done for one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

I am so loving sick of Bearguy mods as the obligatory cute one. I think it was the Build Fighter manga that had an Asshimar with a cat mod that was pretty great, and I'd love to see them use new suits as a base for cute mods. The Zock and Kapool could surely have something done for one.

It was a Gaia Gundam, the Nyaia Gundam

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

The problem is that it's impossible to make the Kapool cuter.

That's just science.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

and ZZ II.
So, where do the Z II parts end and the ZZ parts begin? Because it just looks like a Z II with I think the ZZ's shoulders. Not a whole lot of customization there.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Just looking at it like that it seems really similar but it's super, super FA ZZy

It's already a pretty similar design anyway.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It was a Gaia Gundam, the Nyaia Gundam

and here i was hoping for an even cuter Asshimar design :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly when our space carrier has kids on it they oughta just be dumped off on the nearest colony and some grizzled vets brought in to actually fight the war.

War is bad(but it looks super rad look at this badass poo poo yeeeah). If you really want to show how bad war is, show how boring it is.