Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Who's flying crj2s on 1,000 mile stages? UAL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Who's flying crj2s on 1,000 mile stages? UAL?

This one is American Eagle Air Wisconsin.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

sellouts posted:

Good luck with that when you go irrops and work gets pissed because you missed something important

If you're going to miss the connection it means the first flight was delayed which means you can call and get put on the non stop then after the flight call customer service and ask for original routing credit. I did this countless time to rack up bonuses for flying through a city which I rarely actually flew through. I had the minimum legal connection so even a one minute delay meant I could switch to the nonstop without penalty.

app fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 26, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

As long as there's a seat for you on the nonstop. It's always a risk.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Midjack posted:

As long as there's a seat for you on the nonstop. It's always a risk.

Exactly.

The only guarantee is to have a seat reserved because it is what you've booked (unless you're flying Emirates, in which case if its economy gently caress you)

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Untagged posted:

If taking a connecting flight with an extra two hours travel time (layover + extra flight time) to fly on two A320's instead of a 2.5 hour direct flight on a CRJ200 is wrong I don't want to be right.

If I can get a direct flight and save 2 hours of my time I'll fly standing up.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Barry posted:

If I can get a direct flight and save 2 hours of my time I'll fly standing up.

Old article, but appropriate

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't fly nearly as much as some of you guys and generally just go with the cheapest option. Still I'll now be flying a shitload mainly on a combination of Emirates and Ethiopian, and then later probably BA if it's anything like last year. What would be the best way to collect some miles out of this? Using regular MasterCard, no AE or anything fancy.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't fly nearly as much as some of you guys and generally just go with the cheapest option. Still I'll now be flying a shitload mainly on a combination of Emirates and Ethiopian, and then later probably BA if it's anything like last year. What would be the best way to collect some miles out of this? Using regular MasterCard, no AE or anything fancy.

If you can, combine that flying into a single airline as much as possible, or at least a single alliance. Emirates is not a member of any alliance so miles earned with their program have limited utility; Ethopian is part of Star Alliance and BA is part of OneWorld. If you can get that all onto a single alliance and route everything you do to an account with the member airline you use most frequently, you can rack up some benefits usually.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cacafuego posted:

Is there any reason not to use the E terminal premium club in MIA? I'm in here on a Qatar business ticket, but the desk agent told me as an Admirals club member I can use it. There's a much better spread than the D terminal AC's.

If you have an American Express Platinum or above, the Centurion Club near D11 is way nicer, and walkable/trainable from E-terminal airside. They had Bruichladdich Port Charlotte in both Islay Barley and Scottish Barley varieties last time I was there. The free food is also way better: the first couple times I was there they had Michelle Bernstein's fried chicken, which is second only to Publix fried chicken in my opinion.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Can anyone chime in on how flying on US airlines compares with Air Canada & Westjet for economy domestic (well, inside North America) travel these days? About 6 years ago after a series of brutal transcon flights on United and Alaska I've always ended up booking AC when going to the US. Not so much due to any difference in the actual product, mostly just the airport experience (Toronto isn't amazing or anything, but it's a hell of a lot more pleasant than a 2 hour layover at most of the hubs in the US) and things like the stressful mad dash for overhead cabin space that just seemed to always be so much worse on American flights than anywhere else. (Flights leaving Canada on American carriers didn't ever seem all that bad for that, but the US domestic flight was always a poo poo show.)

Have I just been unlucky in the past and there's no real good reason to prefer AC over American carriers, even if it's more expensive or the timing is worse?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Cocoa Crispies posted:

If you have an American Express Platinum or above, the Centurion Club near D11 is way nicer, and walkable/trainable from E-terminal airside. They had Bruichladdich Port Charlotte in both Islay Barley and Scottish Barley varieties last time I was there. The free food is also way better: the first couple times I was there they had Michelle Bernstein's fried chicken, which is second only to Publix fried chicken in my opinion.

I had never had Bruichladdich before I visited the Centurion Lounges and omg :swoon:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Two quick reports from my latest trip to IE, UK, and NL.

I picked up a multiport USB charger and interchangable cables per a recommendation here. Since I have a Nexus 6P I grabbed this one with USB C. However, this one would also work if you just needed USB. I then picked up alternate cables from SF Cable. This was honestly much easier than fiddling with my cable adaptors and the multicharger made it much easier to get everything gassed up. I could charge my Fitbit, power pack, phone, and tablet from one plug. I personally found the replacement power cables easier to use especially with recessed plugs than using my plug adaptors.

Also, this was my first trip with Project Fi after moving over from AT&T. So much loving easier than dealing with roaming data limits. Yes, it is noticably slower than the speeds you get back in the US, but I was still able to use almost a gig of data navigating around Holland all for the price for $10 on my bill. Much better than paying AT&T 60-90 bucks for a pittance of data and having to gently caress with the phone to turn data on and off. Hell, I even tethered my laptop to my phone during a meeting to pull down some files.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mackieman posted:

If you can, combine that flying into a single airline as much as possible, or at least a single alliance. Emirates is not a member of any alliance so miles earned with their program have limited utility; Ethopian is part of Star Alliance and BA is part of OneWorld. If you can get that all onto a single alliance and route everything you do to an account with the member airline you use most frequently, you can rack up some benefits usually.
Thanks. Unfortunately can't change any of the upcoming trips without losing a ton of money. I was trying to figure out who Emirates were in alliance so that explains it then why their miles are so useless. At least I think there are some other ailrines in Star Alliance that I use semi-frequently.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Got a new gig with an incredibly generous travel policy. Flying SFO-LHR at the end of the month - you guys have any preference on upper class on Virgin? Looking at either A340 v 787-9. I've only flown overseas on Delta's 767 before.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Id take the 789 as it'll be newer

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
789 is the correct answer.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Flying American from Chicago to my new Denver/salt lake territory is killing me. Aaaaa I should have gunned for Dallas.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Flying for a quick 1-day trip to DC via DCA. Flying in should be fine, more importantly, since it's DCA, how much earlier do you have to show up? I remember reading somewhere it's a more sensitive airport, so security sucks more.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
DCA is pretty easy since it's so close to town, although I have pre-check. Maybe a little over an hour?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

movax posted:

Flying for a quick 1-day trip to DC via DCA. Flying in should be fine, more importantly, since it's DCA, how much earlier do you have to show up? I remember reading somewhere it's a more sensitive airport, so security sucks more.

Get there no later than 90 before takeoff and you'll be fine.

It's not appreciably worse than other busy airports in my opinion (I fly out of it a half dozen times a year). Be sure to check the gate and terminal your flight leaves from as the A gates are a ten minute walk from B and C. Additionally, check your gate number as there are three banks of gates in B/C and you can't travel among them behind the checkpoint. Once behind security you'll find it's even more crowded and lovely than usual for domestic airports.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah post security DCA is a goddamn war zone.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Got a new gig with an incredibly generous travel policy. Flying SFO-LHR at the end of the month - you guys have any preference on upper class on Virgin? Looking at either A340 v 787-9. I've only flown overseas on Delta's 767 before.

I flew Virgin IAD-LHR a couple of weeks ago. If you wind up on one of their A340s, avoid the back row of the Upper Class cabin, as you'll be almost reaching distance from the bar, and able to hear everything. Nice cabin otherwise though.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Leave my house 1 hour before my flight, arrive at DCA 45m before my flight, go through TSA pre, right to the Admirals club, down a couple of doubles, head to my gate 30m before my flight board and fall asleep.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Midjack posted:

Get there no later than 90 before takeoff and you'll be fine.

It's not appreciably worse than other busy airports in my opinion (I fly out of it a half dozen times a year). Be sure to check the gate and terminal your flight leaves from as the A gates are a ten minute walk from B and C. Additionally, check your gate number as there are three banks of gates in B/C and you can't travel among them behind the checkpoint. Once behind security you'll find it's even more crowded and lovely than usual for domestic airports.

This. I had to connect to Burlington through DCA a few weeks ago, and having to take their goddamn 20-30 minute shuttle between B and C nearly caused me a 5 hour layover and having to wait for the next flight out. Make sure you pick the right security line, and don't plan on buying things/eating after security. Do all that poo poo before.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Finally joined the business travel club a month ago. On my second trip down to Louisville Kentucky from Toronto, with another one coming up. Been sticking with Southwest business select.

I live South of Toronto, so I've been crossing into the States first before flying out of Buffalo international. Worst trouble I've had so far is a 30 minute delay on a connecting flight out of BWI. I think I was spoiled by my first flight. No line at check-in or security.

The down sides of business travel lifestyle took all of 2 days to sink in, but it's still an experience.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've never had a line longer than 15 mins in BUF at security, and I've lived there my whole life and fly weekly.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Golluk posted:

Finally joined the business travel club a month ago. On my second trip down to Louisville Kentucky from Toronto, with another one coming up. Been sticking with Southwest business select.

I live South of Toronto, so I've been crossing into the States first before flying out of Buffalo international. Worst trouble I've had so far is a 30 minute delay on a connecting flight out of BWI. I think I was spoiled by my first flight. No line at check-in or security.

The down sides of business travel lifestyle took all of 2 days to sink in, but it's still an experience.

If you're traveling for business, that usually means the company is paying. Why then, in the name of all that is holy, are you driving down to BUF to fly Southwest when you could pick literally any other carrier and leave out of YYZ doing pre-clearance? I'm not hating on Southwest, but this makes no sense to me.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I'd imagine 'south of toronto' means the other side of a big lake, and is a pretty hefty drive (especially during rush hour oh my god forget about trying to enter toronto from the southwest)

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

movax posted:

depends which day and time. If it's a Thursday it'll be a poo poo show. Any other day should be fine.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

sink the biz posted:

depends which day and time. If it's a Thursday it'll be a poo poo show. Any other day should be fine.

I woke up with a massive hangover at 730, but still made it in time thankfully. Security line non existent, hooray for Wednesdays.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Uncle Jam posted:

I'd imagine 'south of toronto' means the other side of a big lake, and is a pretty hefty drive (especially during rush hour oh my god forget about trying to enter toronto from the southwest)

if you live in ham town you should just focus on not living in ham town

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you live in ham town you should just focus on not living in ham town

Stayed in ham town for a month and a half while working in Stony Creek. This is sage advice.

Only upside: TimmyHo everywhere. I could stand in the parking lot of one, and see like 3 more.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Yep, east side of Ham. It's actually pretty nice here with all the forest trails and Parks. Dundas is nice too for the same reason. Downtown? Yeah not so much.

This stay bridge actually isn't too bad. They put out dinner Monday through Wednesday. Nothing fancy, but it's nice for a light dinner, and free. Even have Budweiser on tap.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Golluk posted:

This stay bridge actually isn't too bad. They put out dinner Monday through Wednesday. Nothing fancy, but it's nice for a light dinner, and free. Even have Budweiser on tap.

Staybridges and Homewood Suites are my go-to picks for hotels if I'll be at a place for more then 3-4 days.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Homewood changed its dinner. It's awful now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DJCobol posted:

Stayed in ham town for a month and a half while working in Stony Creek. This is sage advice.

Only upside: TimmyHo everywhere. I could stand in the parking lot of one, and see like 3 more.

Don't forget Swiss Chalet. My parents send me across the border on pilgrimage.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

DJCobol posted:

Am I crazy for being surprised that there are Tim Hortons everywhere in Abu Dhabi/Dubai?

I recently got back from there and Italy courtesy of Qatar's business class, which was fantastic by the way. Best use of work accumulated mileage.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Homewood changed its dinner. It's awful now.

When did they change it? What is it now? Different Homewoods have different quality dinners. That was my favorite thing about traveling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Nifty posted:

When did they change it? What is it now? Different Homewoods have different quality dinners. That was my favorite thing about traveling.

I stayed at one in little rock Tuesday and it was meatball subs. They were pretty bad, but free dinner.