Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Fine job, skeleton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ometeotl posted:

You've clearly never watched that 30 Years of Mario LP.

Also you sometimes only need to press half a button

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gruckles posted:

What does the "New kid" button do

If it's a legit question, that's to change characters. Maniac Mansion has you playing as 3 different characters.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Archenteron posted:

Fine job, skeleton.
Beware of horse, visions of horse.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Fish Noise posted:

Beware of horse, visions of horse.

My favorite messages are the "Fatty" ones.

"Good work, Fatty!"

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
My favorites are the ones that reference the various skeletons lying around.

Don't give up, skeleton!

Listen carefully, skeleton.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

Please don't turn "try jumping" into a catchphrase again.

5 years too late on that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I did it!

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Obligatum VII posted:

"Good work, Fatty!"

One of the best messages I ever saw was in front of a space that's juuuust too narrow to fit your character into. All it said was "Fatty" :allears:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
, but hole

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Obligatum VII posted:

"Good work, Fatty!"
By a floor panel: "Be wary of fatty, switch"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

, but hole
Seriously. "Try, but hole" is like the only message still remaining in the game.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

message ahead

weakness: message

be wary of message

message?

e: "nice job, bloodstain!" in the right place also gets some giggles in Majula sometimes

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Walrus Pete posted:

One of the best messages I ever saw was in front of a space that's juuuust too narrow to fit your character into. All it said was "Fatty" :allears:

Same, except mine was Try jog, fatty :smug:

Where's "horse" in the menu? I spent minutes looking for it at one point but couldn't find it...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Crazy Achmed posted:

Same, except mine was Try jog, fatty :smug:

Where's "horse" in the menu? I spent minutes looking for it at one point but couldn't find it...
horse is a body part

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Does that mean it's a dick joke?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Laputanmachine posted:

My favorites are the ones that reference the various skeletons lying around.

Don't give up, skeleton!

Listen carefully, skeleton.
Skeleton was the true hero of Dark Souls 2. We all just helped them realize this through encouragement.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I enjoyed the enemy's death flop at around 15 minutes.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Glad to see we've picked up an actual weapon. I'm surprised they make you go through such a long area without a proper weapon. Maybe there was something hidden in Majula, but that begs the question of "Why hide it?"

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

FPzero posted:

Glad to see we've picked up an actual weapon. I'm surprised they make you go through such a long area without a proper weapon. Maybe there was something hidden in Majula, but that begs the question of "Why hide it?"

Every other class (save for Deprived) starts with a proper weapon and the broken straight sword isn't completely worthless like it was in the first game.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Just mostly. I started to feel like the game was laughing at me when I got the items in that arena hoping for a better weapon, and all I had was three broken swords.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
As for "if there's a better weapon in Majula, why hide it?" it's because Dark Souls is a game about exploration, looking in every nook and cranny and off every ledge, finding little pockets of hidden items and stuff is meant to reward you for doing that exploration.

Plus the broken straight sword is a decent weapon, and serves it's purpose pretty well (that shortsword only has 20 more damage and its swings consume like half again more stamina), while also serving another purpose super well (its miniscule stat requirements mean that literally any starting class can power stance them and see what's up with power-stancing).

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
There's also a dagger in Things Betwixt that geop picked up

I believe that's there specifically for the deprived, who doesn't even start with a weapon in this game

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh thank god, an update. Finally, we've been saved from ourselves.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Some pretty nice stabbing from Geop. Suffers a little from the weapon being well, short.

Whatever early equipment Geop finds or gets lead to will probably result in some hilarious arguments in this thread, so I look forward to that. But I hope he finds some time to try out boxing with dual-Caestus.

Now if I could just tell remember which voice is Kuvo and which is Vicas...

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Also, regarding a broken broken straight sword: It can indeed happen, and it happened to me on my first run of Dark Souls 2 without me realizing it. As a result, I assumed it was like the straight sword hilt in Dark Souls 1, where I was supposed to find a replacement in the tutorial but I never did.

Getting to the next bonfire in Forest of the Fallen Giants (since I had missed the one that had been pointed out to Geop) really, really sucked

Toma
Jul 18, 2011

Behold my elaborately animated eyes.
My favourite part about the new message system is that it's much better for players giving each other good advice, but instead it's almost exclusively used for complete nonsense such as skeleton, but hole.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hooray for Skeleton!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The ghosts are way too solid in this.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Tylana posted:

Now if I could just tell remember which voice is Kuvo and which is Vicas...
One always tells the truth and the other one always lies.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Geop posted:

One always tells the truth and the other one always lies.

Which one is which, is for you to decide.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
geop please read every message even remotely near a skeleton

it's the best

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I don't have a ton of experience with DS1 so I don't know how different it really is, but it does seem as though there's been some de-emphasis on shields? The lack of bounceback when blocking even a weak enemies attacks is part of it. My favorite (both because it was the most fun and the easiest character I played) was my power stanced Caestus. Cranked up my dodge roll and ran through things a lot easier for far longer than any of the other characters I had made. With how defensive Geop plays I'm curious to see how it all plays out.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
That message by the tree in the courtyard was probably something like 'Visions of friend?', there used to be a dude there but SotFS moved him. Also Melentia doesn't move until you exhaust her dialogue AND kill the boss. That's a good tip Geop, always listen to all NPC dialogue, many of them only do/provide something when you 'Talk' to them enough.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Of course Goonther has little Faith, one of the gods telling him what to do is Kuvo. Who could have faith in that situation?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Garrand posted:

I don't have a ton of experience with DS1 so I don't know how different it really is, but it does seem as though there's been some de-emphasis on shields? The lack of bounceback when blocking even a weak enemies attacks is part of it.

Yeah, they definitely changed deflection. I can't actually remember how I felt about PS3 version shields, but playing SotFS recently even greatshields have really bad deflection to the extent that plenty of enemies will be back in their attack animation/actually hitting you before you can get a swing in. Could be a 60fps issue they never cared about or could be a design decision to make the non-parry shields about pure defense instead of "your defense becomes your offense". The way around it is to try to get enemies to hit your shield such that attacks sort of flow against it instead of deflecting, so you can get hits in during their recovery animations.

Personally, I'd prefer if they did something like tie deflection to how long you've been holding block before the attack hits, sort of like a perfect block mechanic. If you were putting your shield forward as were getting hit you get the good deflections from DS1, but otherwise you get the nothing of DS2. The window on it wouldn't be quite as tight as parrying and obviously the offensive result wouldn't be as great either but it would bring some skill to shield-play and strike a finer balance than what either game had.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Fun fact with firebombs in this game, you can actually play baseball with them. Doesn't do any damage back to the enemy, but a neat little Easter egg.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The healing you get from someone rating your message isn't as important in this game because healing options are so abundant, but having my messages rated in DS3 actually saved me more than a few times on my first playthrough. It creates a weird metagame of trying to come up with silly messages that will get a lot of ratings for extra healing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

The healing you get from someone rating your message isn't as important in this game because healing options are so abundant, but having my messages rated in DS3 actually saved me more than a few times on my first playthrough. It creates a weird metagame of trying to come up with silly messages that will get a lot of ratings for extra healing.

I have one message I left on launch day in Bloodborne that still gets rated multiple times per play session to this day. It's some dumb joke about elderly in Central Yharnam. That character's on NG+2 now and I still get regular healing out of that one stupid message, it's hilarious.

• Locked thread