Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

TNO posted:

You could give cyclists everything they would ever dream of asking for, and they'll still find a reason to complain and not use it.

All I really want is to not nearly get murdered on a regular basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
A path to literally anywhere worth going that doesn't involve cars whizzing past at 50 mph++ inches from me would be ideal.

I don't get how dudes can be like "that paved separated bike path sucks, I'm taking the lane anyway". Having any sort of attempt at a bike lane at all is like 90th percentile in the US, shut the gently caress up and use it so they make more of them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

EightBit posted:

Cars are scary, but most drivers are in their lanes and paying attention to what is going on.

:lol: What strange planet do you live on? I need to go there.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Javid posted:

A path to literally anywhere worth going that doesn't involve cars whizzing past at 50 mph++ inches from me would be ideal.

I don't get how dudes can be like "that paved separated bike path sucks, I'm taking the lane anyway". Having any sort of attempt at a bike lane at all is like 90th percentile in the US, shut the gently caress up and use it so they make more of them.

They'd probably get used more if they weren't just something thrown out to appease cyclists and were actually planned for use. Stuff like forbidding foot traffic, engineered to allow people to travel 30mph safely, minimal blind curves, not made in a flood zone so every time it rains debris needs to be cleared by the city, etc., which is usually missing from bike trail and lane development. This stuff is being built by people that aren't cyclists and/or our input gets ignored.

wolrah posted:

So, as a cyclist you're saying you're annoyed with sharing a surface with people going significantly slower than your natural speed, who sometimes make themselves hard to pass safely? You say they sometimes move unpredictably and/or don't pay enough attention to the faster moving things around them, even though they could be seriously injured if something went wrong?

This is why we need better bike lanes, but hey, keep being smug and all.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^
Bike lanes at the moment are made for cars to get those bikes off the road (as well as checking some boxes). The problem is there is little to no thought about how those lanes will actually be used.
This is a real bike lane: https://goo.gl/maps/MEyqjPnGjxB2
Take a look at the garbage cans (which are our city's small models). Is any bike going to be able to safely use that with cars wizzing by? (While not giving 3 feet because apparently white lines are actually huge walls that protect people). This is an actual bike route that is a major route to one of the cities (actually good) bicycle paths to downtown. (It is worth noting that if you look at the map, it looks like there is a bike path a block or two north. That is a lie. There is no path but a levee that if you're caught on you'll be arrested for trespassing. There's also not a path but an unpaved service road loving google.)

Javid posted:

America has found ways to make bike paths more dangerous than the road (lots of blind, unsignaled crossings). An example from Canada (which is not exempt from being murica)
https://goo.gl/maps/EqbeWh98rmC2
That sidewalk looking thing is allegedly a bike path. It crosses driveways very few feet and is often obscured by trees. Any car backing out of a driveway or making a turn from Niagara pkwy isn't looking for someone doing 15-20 mph. That is bad, bad design. And all they'd have to do is put it on the other side of the road (and make it wide enough), and it would be a loving bike mecca.
Bike lanes are often very bad as they are often way too narrow and encourage cars to pass too close. My city recently unveiled a bike lane that is narrower than many modern mountain bike handlebars. (Feds say a bike lane should 4-5 feet wide, depending on certain factors. 1 foot and a few inches isn't cutting the mustard). Bike lanes also tend to be very narrow strips of road right in the door zone.
I would love a dutch style bikeway network, but they're not even loving trying yet. Seriously, when our local park floods in the winter (it is designed to) the alternative bike route from our quite populated northern suburbs to downtown, is, i poo poo you not, Interstate loving 5.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 11, 2016

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
A freeway shoulder is downright luxurious compared to the poo poo they have on most of these roads.

But we get a sign!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I'd way rather ride down that than pocket road. Yes, i'll be occupying a lane and that will piss people off, but I'm way less likely to be actually hit. Actually, i'd be occupying the lane on pocket road as well and that would piss people off even more.
Yes, I'd rather have proper bicycle infrastructure, but poor bicycle infrastructure just makes things worse for everyone.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nm posted:

This is a real bike lane: https://goo.gl/maps/MEyqjPnGjxB2

False. This is a normal bike lane:

You can have great bike lanes, but everyone will be a huge cock and ride on the sidewalks, or the wrong way down the road, or some such bullshit. The problem isn't the bike lanes.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I love cyclist chat.

I cycle on the road because round here there's a dozen lanes if that and none of them are actually any sort of length. I recall one morning on the way to work I pulled out onto a fairly large roundabout wayyyyyyyy ahead of traffic (1 car of traffic) and about 30 seconds later he caught up and decided to sit behind me blasting his horn instead of using the other free lane to pass me. With drivers like that on the road you just can't loving win.

Everyone on the roads is awful, dangerous and a complete oval office and I loving hate all of you and would have zero issue pressing a big red button if it took out the worst 50%. That button would be broken from how hard and how many times I hit it.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

88h88 posted:

I love cyclist chat.

I cycle on the road because round here there's a dozen lanes if that and none of them are actually any sort of length. I recall one morning on the way to work I pulled out onto a fairly large roundabout wayyyyyyyy ahead of traffic (1 car of traffic) and about 30 seconds later he caught up and decided to sit behind me blasting his horn instead of using the other free lane to pass me. With drivers like that on the road you just can't loving win.

Everyone on the roads is awful, dangerous and a complete oval office and I loving hate all of you and would have zero issue pressing a big red button if it took out the worst 50%. That button would be broken from how hard and how many times I hit it.

Poor design for a button if it only takes out 50% each time, you'll never be done hitting it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Killstick posted:

Poor design for a button if it only takes out 50% each time, you'll never be done hitting it.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Raluek posted:

False. This is a normal bike lane:

You can have great bike lanes, but everyone will be a huge cock and ride on the sidewalks, or the wrong way down the road, or some such bullshit. The problem isn't the bike lanes.

The problem is the bike lanes.

https://twitter.com/Nicholas_I_S/status/728502059436277760

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

We have separate bike lanes in my city, and in general they work very well. The only problem is (of course) bicyclists themselves. Pretty much every time I go on a path, I am faced by some retard that thinks riding 2 abreast on a bike lane that is made for 1 bike in each direction is a good idea. There are also people so dumb that they can't stand in line at a red light, but instead go up to the line, and stay in the opposite lane. This of course mean that they look like complete morons when they block the oncoming cyclists (or as in many cases, just force them off to the side). Another thing I see every drat time I ride my bicycle is people not yielding properly. Traffic law here states that vehicles should yield to vehicles coming from the right, unless there are signs that override this rule. I don't think I've ever had a cyclist yield to me properly. But to be fair most car drivers are equally dumb when it comes to this.

I pretty much feel like I'm the only cyclist that actually yields (it's the law) to pedestrians crossing streets at a crosswalk. Pedestrians look surprised and wave to thank me, so that's pretty nice. :unsmith:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is the "problem" here that he can't turn leftright because there are a lot of bikes?

... Have you never had this happen to you in a car? Because it happens all the time. I mean, yeah, I would love it if it never happened too, but I would also love a cure for cancer, and a Bugatti, and I don't think either of those are happening either.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Karma Monkey posted:

Honestly, around here I'm more afraid for them than annoyed by them. The stuff I see people do around bikes, motorcycles, and pedestrians scares the poo poo out of me. I get why people would be annoyed at them, but christ, some of the drivers here seem aggressively, actively, murderously hostile toward them.
You live near Deedle?

Killstick posted:

Actually you'd only have to hit it 32 times before you'd have 1-2 people left on the planet.

e: confused Deeters and Deedle, my sincerest apologies

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 11, 2016

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

kastein posted:

Actually you'd only have to hit it 32 times before you'd have 1-2 people left on the planet.

True. You'd have to be pretty confident in your driving ability to go that far.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Krakkles posted:

Is the "problem" here that he can't turn leftright because there are a lot of bikes?

... Have you never had this happen to you in a car? Because it happens all the time. I mean, yeah, I would love it if it never happened too, but I would also love a cure for cancer, and a Bugatti, and I don't think either of those are happening either.

Nah it was that these segregated bike lanes are new for London and are actually working very well at reducing accidents and whatnot, compared to just a bit of paint on the roadway. And they're proving to be a ballache to get installed because the taxi driver unions loving hate them and keep complaining that they're not used 24/7 so are a waste of road space, which leads to the cycling groups winding them up:

https://twitter.com/adventuresofrob/status/726094655520161792

https://twitter.com/steinsky/status/729234151438716928

https://twitter.com/adventuresofrob/status/729977718394228736

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

kastein posted:

You live near Deeters?

I don't know what/where that is, but I'm not a native Marylander. I'm out in Glen Burnie, a shithole located somewhere between Baltimore and D.C. and convenient to Ft. Meade. :toot:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Karma Monkey posted:

I don't know what/where that is, but I'm not a native Marylander. I'm out in Glen Burnie, a shithole located somewhere between Baltimore and D.C. and convenient to Ft. Meade. :toot:

everywhere is convenient to ft meade :catbert:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

kastein posted:

You live near Deedle?

:golfclap:

kastein posted:

I'd push it the 33rd time. Philsophical question: would the 34th press kill the last person or not?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Anyone who has been to Plymouth knows that the city "planners" hired Jackson Pollock for their road and roundabout markings, but my big bugbear is the cycle lanes down the main route where its 100m of lane, 100 of not, 100 of, repeat. so you end up with cyclists swerving in and out of traffic constantly. Yeah it pisses me off but its not (generally) their fault.

The ones cycling up the A38 can gently caress off though, there's gotta be easier ways to commit suicide than that.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
It's a shame I left before they did.

These are the people you park with.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

From a few nights ago

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Got behind a standard bro-truck (smoke stack exhaust, "shocker" sticker) with an interesting window decal:
"I chew and spit.
Do you swallow?"

Lovely.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So the very first thing that happens in this, with the motorcycles, is not something I've ever seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVn1NiHhwBo

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Road rage is an amazing thing. I'm a very calm and cool person, very polite, if someone bumps me in a crowd or cuts me off in the aisle of a grocery store I'm perfectly patient and forgiving. Even in traffic I slow to let people in and I expect them to do dumb poo poo so it doesn't bother me when they do it (for the most part).

But this morning I was in a right turn lane at a red waiting for traffic to clear. A bicyclist rode up behind me and couldn't confidently ride between me and the car to my left so he got off his bike and walked it through the gap, hitting my car with his pedal as he went by. Just so that he could sit at the red light one car length ahead. The light then turned green and we all moved on. As I drove away I got super infuriated at just his basic rudeness and spent the next several minutes fantasizing about how I should have got out and done something back to him like push him over or stomp his rim into a taco, or yell or something.

Then I realized I'm an adult human being and we all have to live together, my car is a piece of poo poo so there's no way I could even find which scratch was caused by him, and that I need to get the gently caress over it. The world needs a lot less hostility. But still that primal rage reaction really surprised me. Once again Louis CK sums it up perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8062QEFk5g

"When I'm in my car I have a different set of values."

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Locator posted:

So the very first thing that happens in this, with the motorcycles, is not something I've ever seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVn1NiHhwBo

MY GENITALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS!

Reminded me of this except more smoke from the crotch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_cQALVtOlI

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

LloydDobler posted:

Road rage is an amazing thing. I'm a very calm and cool person, very polite, if someone bumps me in a crowd or cuts me off in the aisle of a grocery store I'm perfectly patient and forgiving. Even in traffic I slow to let people in and I expect them to do dumb poo poo so it doesn't bother me when they do it (for the most part).

But this morning I was in a right turn lane at a red waiting for traffic to clear. A bicyclist rode up behind me and couldn't confidently ride between me and the car to my left so he got off his bike and walked it through the gap, hitting my car with his pedal as he went by. Just so that he could sit at the red light one car length ahead. The light then turned green and we all moved on. As I drove away I got super infuriated at just his basic rudeness and spent the next several minutes fantasizing about how I should have got out and done something back to him like push him over or stomp his rim into a taco, or yell or something.

Then I realized I'm an adult human being and we all have to live together, my car is a piece of poo poo so there's no way I could even find which scratch was caused by him, and that I need to get the gently caress over it. The world needs a lot less hostility. But still that primal rage reaction really surprised me. Once again Louis CK sums it up perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8062QEFk5g

"When I'm in my car I have a different set of values."

I wouldn't flip my poo poo neither, but if I had a car that was in good nick I'd stop the bicyclist. I'm not paying for a respray / insurance just because someone is inconsiderate and selfish with no respect for other peoples stuff.
I once had a dude back into my piece of poo poo car while I was in it, he got out, saw what he thought was the damage and looked horrified. He apologized profusely and I just told him not to worry about it, that damage was old, and the car looks scuffed up already.

Speaking of chilling out. Not that I ever rage (well at least not in a way that affects my driving), but since started driving a newer car in the city I've chilled out even more. I'd rather take it even more easy and cruise around and never rush. It's so much more enjoyable.

Another thing I've noticed is that people seem calmer around new cars. I drove my friends car because she didn't want to once, and people were so aggressive. It was a dirty, dented (but from like 2009), generally in poor condition Skoda. Anecdotal and all, but an interesting observation.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Karma Monkey posted:

Maryland driver! :bahgawd:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Is it bad to laugh?

http://i.imgur.com/iYkfVGz.gifv

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Not in the least.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sudo Echo posted:

Is it bad to laugh?

Not honestly finding the humor in a cyclist getting creamed by a semi that crossed through a gore-point to hit him from a turn-only lane?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Locator posted:

Not honestly finding the humor in a cyclist getting creamed by a semi that crossed through a gore-point to hit him from a turn-only lane?

Cyclist gets on highway. Inevitable happens.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Why do motorcycles have to have side mirrors but bikes don't?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Killstick posted:

Why do motorcycles have to have side mirrors but bikes don't?

And why do motorcyclists turn their big heavy helmeted heads around rather than relying entirely upon the side mirrors, when bicyclists expect everybody to follow their lead, stop on a dime and see them at all times, even when the bicycle is where it really doesn't belong outside of controlled Tour De France-like circumstances.

We will never goddamn know. But here's the latest on how flies gently caress, thanks science :argh:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

PCOS Bill posted:

Cyclist gets on highway. Inevitable happens.

loving idiot proves he shouldnt be on the road yet again. Hand your license back and walk for the rest of your life.

Once again thread proves it's the ones with the loudest opinions are the ones who shouldnt be on the loving road.

Oh a truck pulls a completely illegal lane change from a loving turning lane and creams cyclists who are being 100% legal? That's funny?

Pathetic. Really, really pathetic.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

I don't think it's bad to laugh.

My father would always say "Where can the big truck driver put his truck? anywhere he wants to!" as a warning to give them a wide berth.

Smug cyclist tries to do what he really shouldn't because hey he has the right to do this!. Gets a physics lesson.

I don't know maybe it makes me an rear end in a top hat but count me among those who say cyclists don't belong on a roadway where the motorized vehicle speed is 55+mph. Ever. Even if it's legal for them to be there.

It wouldn't be an issue if inertia weren't a thing. Stopping distance for a truck is quite a long way. And, if everyone were able to rapidly stop safely, every time.

Truck might have been in the turn lane trying to find away around the slow rear end cyclists without slamming on his brakes and flipping his rig. Biker getting over hosed that up maybe? It looks to me like if he had at least stayed where he was the truck might have gotten past him without creaming him.

There are a lot of legal things that you can do that are still really, really stupid.

Denis Leary - Lock n Load

All you assholes who ride bikes in the city:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBmrL8VaTU8

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why is a cyclist on what appears to be a limited access highway? gently caress that poo poo, whatever happens to you then is your own fault because you shouldn't be there in the first place. I don't care if some deranged person like Deedle runs you down just for fun, it's still your fault because you're doing an incredibly stupid and dangerous thing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

PT6A posted:

Why is a cyclist on what appears to be a limited access highway? gently caress that poo poo, whatever happens to you then is your own fault because you shouldn't be there in the first place. I don't care if some deranged person like Deedle runs you down just for fun, it's still your fault because you're doing an incredibly stupid and dangerous thing.

The argument in the bikers favor seems to be that he has the right to be doing the incredibly stupid and dangerous thing because the law allows him to, therefore it is his right, regardless how much sense it makes.

Seems to be the cyclists version of gently caress You, Got Mine. IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It really depends on where it is. Over here I can cycle my bike on A roads if I wanted to, those have a speed limit of up to 60mph and are generally dual carriageways.

https://goo.gl/maps/pa7aTRVhMhJ2

The above is an A road not a million miles from my house, it's a 50mph limit dual carriageway and I'm perfectly entitled to use it to ride my bike on. At certain times of the day it's pretty busy and I could quite happily ride faster than the cars move. Most other times though I'd never go near it. I find people cycling down it reasonably often if only because it's a very direct route from the North of the city to the centre...

Whether you should cycle on a road like this is entirely down to the individual and if I'm honest I really don't trust other drivers enough to do so. Some people aren't that smart though.