Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Pinechild posted:

This is pretty much what happened, actually. Pulled Arachne upstairs since that was the best of a bunch of terrible options, dropped the bow, and went apeshit on her. Turns out the other longbow is super sweet!

+8 longbow "Fumpekaq" {venom, rF+++ rN+ MR+ Str-3}

Should I keep this guy around, or continue working towards my backup +2 Triple Crossbow of Velocity?

Yeah, keep that sucker. If the morgue hasn't changed dramatically you have more skill in bows at the moment and pivoting towards xbows would mean a decent investment of experience is no longer applicable. Spend that experience elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm going to suggest something.

Revamp malmutate. Make it work like drain or stat decay and go away with experience. Then you can make it much less of a binary thing and make more dangerous malmutaters without having them permanently ruin characters. Permanent malmutations can still come from eating/drinking purple.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

World Famous W posted:

I just wizmode it and it seems that Naga 'Cover Ground Slowly' is overridden by form changing transmutations. Only tested with Hydra and Dragon, but there ya' go.

Edit: Statue form overrides it as well, so you going from moving 1.4 to only 1.5. Nice.

Thanks! That's really helpful to know.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

A tengu zombie with a war axe of distortion has just blinked two hostile dragons directly on top of me in two turns. Thanks pal.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Note: Amulet of Dismissal will make the minotaur disappear forever with all of that sweet loot it's holding...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

jerkstoresup posted:

To add to this, what does Crawl need more people to work on, if anything? I'm not the best player, but I love this game and have some coding/graphics abilities and spare time.

We're always short on tiles contributors. Think of some tiles you don't particularly like, or go through the tiles directories and find some that you'd like to redraw, and then stick up your versions in a mantis issue; here's roctavian's old tile dump, for example. There's tons of low-hanging fruit, plenty of tiles that haven't been redrawn since the first tiles release, even!

For code, I've gotten different answers from every dev I polled on this. You could go looking for bugs (again, on mantis), submit a pull request for some change that you yourself want to see, create a custom race just for the heck of it... (they tend to be pretty fun to set up.) Follow your heart, imo.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Penance Mummy complete!

code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18.1-5-g4a78601 (webtiles) character file.

2782679 Floodkiller the Slayer (level 27, 238/238 HPs)
             Began as a Mummy Artificer on May 9, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Pakellas.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 5 runes on May 12, 2016!

The game lasted 06:41:40 (90344 turns).
I can never forgive myself for a drowning death, but I've atoned by ascending a godawful mummy.

By the way, mummy still isn't good, Pakellas is just Trog level strong once you manage to get a hold of either a wand of hasting or heal wounds (or both), even for a species with -2 in Evocations.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

gently caress SHOALS

Can someone take a look at these dumps and tell me what I'm doing wrong?
I think I might need to branch into a weapon earlier so I can clear chaff out?

My stats are here.

With the one I just lost (the top score) it was at the point where I had nowhere to go - I got ruined in spider, in the rest of the dungeon or in shoals. I was struggling to keep up with the curve I guess.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

PleasingFungus posted:

We're always short on tiles contributors. Think of some tiles you don't particularly like, or go through the tiles directories and find some that you'd like to redraw, and then stick up your versions in a mantis issue; here's roctavian's old tile dump, for example. There's tons of low-hanging fruit, plenty of tiles that haven't been redrawn since the first tiles release, even!

For code, I've gotten different answers from every dev I polled on this. You could go looking for bugs (again, on mantis), submit a pull request for some change that you yourself want to see, create a custom race just for the heck of it... (they tend to be pretty fun to set up.) Follow your heart, imo.

There are some tiles that bother me. Off the top of my head, Gnoll tiles don't really look anything like dog-people. I'll comb them over once the tourny is done.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If you have dmissiles and you're squishy you need to have it up in all situations in shoals. Should clear out of any fight if it goes down and you're not in a position to put it back up.

You don't need amulet of faith running with vehumet as your first god, usually. Definitely not once you've hit max piety. Amulet of reflection is really nice in shoals if you'd found one.

Also, old story: you died with three blink scrolls on you. Use em any time things get hairy. Use them when you think things are just maybe about to get hairy.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Staying too long in encounters that boil over. Shoals as an environment is extremely wide open; noise tends to draw more enemies in than what you were expecting. A shout or some noisy spell in the wrong spot is going to overwhelm your MP capacity for damage. This is especially true in Shoals 4, where things can rapidly snowball out of control once Ilsuiw's crew wakes up and starts wandering around. Intersect that with not knowing when to bail out until it's just a bit too late and you have this situation you've hit three times.

Your best game there was probably the most able to get away. The target merfolk was confused; all you really needed to do was disengage if you were that low. Even if he eventually follows, you're now in a more cleared area so other enemies are less likely to show up and killsteal off their dead buddy. Also be wary of using wands of lightning in open areas because they are rather noisy and inaccurate. The second best death, you had 5 scrolls of blinking, 4 scrolls of fear, 2 potions of invisibility but again, you're using wands of lightning when your MP is low as your last ditch offense when cornered from two sides. Your third, two potions of haste. When poo poo hits the fan, use your consumables.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

teleportion is the best escape tool

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SirSamVimes posted:

teleportion is the best escape tool

The solution to bad teleports is more teleports :shepface:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The solution is to teleport when you see the dangerous thing instead of trying to fight it and then teleporting when you're at 1/4 hp. :colbert:

I am bad at doing this

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The solution is to teleport when you see the dangerous thing instead of trying to fight it and then teleporting when you're at 1/4 hp. :colbert:

I am bad at doing this

agreed on all counts. also, never forget about the most powerful technique of all: the infamous mikee teleport

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I am bad at doing this

I did. It was a D10 manticore and it managed to deal that much damage in the time teleport took to go off.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

One time in Lair 1 I met Harold and a 8h Hydra, so I teleported away.
I landed 5 spaces away and got netted, so I teleported away.
I landed 3 spaces away, survived a hydra bite, and teleported away.
I landed on the opposite side of Harold and he killed me.

I don't like teleport.

Also it's well established that the elf vault & zot lungs are dimensional black holes, you can never teleport free once you're sucked in

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The best teleports are on Vaults:5 where every teleport lands you in a new spot that's still terrible.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Using a Phantom Mirror on Mara turned out better than I could have ever imagined...

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

In like a couple years or so when I have free time, I'm gonna start working on crawl again, but could you like put those zombies in or something, because I think those serve a gameplay purpose

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Are you supposed to be able to land directly on top of our mutual BFF Gloorx Vloq when hitting his floor?

Is this Crawl's new favorite way of killing the unprepared?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Are you supposed to be able to land directly on top of our mutual BFF Gloorx Vloq when hitting his floor?

I had one game where I landed in sight of every rune guardian panlord.

It was... interesting.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

I take it you've never visited sunny Hellion Island.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Can Of Worms posted:

I take it you've never visited sunny Hellion Island.

The real place is not as pleasant as the ad makes it out to be. I try to avoid it.

----

Not too long ago in this very thread we talked a little bit about Gargoyles, and how good they are. Despite Frail x2, I contend that they are one of the strongest, if not the strongest race in the game. Look at this gear list:

pre:
rFire  + . .      SeeInvis .    k - +9 executioner's axe (holy)
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    P - +12 gold dragon armour
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    (shield currently unavailable)
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    o - +2 helmet
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    Y - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    Z - +2 pair of fencer's gloves {LBl+4 SBl+4 EV+3 Dex+6}
SustAt .          Harm     .    g - +2 pair of boots {run}
MR     ++++.                    h - amulet of regeneration
Stlth  ..........               F - +6 ring of evasion
                                V - ring of protection from magic
Outside of the gloves, that gear list is so incredibly average as to be depressing. Nearly all of that gear is effectively guaranteed in a 15 rune run, but I spent the entire post-end game tabbing through hell and pan. rRot, rElec, rPois+++, perma-flight, and 20 free AC are all so strong. Torment Resistance is huge. It's a bonkers strong race and even with so-so apts, that ceases to matter after your third rune.

Anyway, Grs are great and strong and if you've never dinked around the post endgame world before, I argue that a Gargoyle of TOS is the easiest race/god to do it with.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 12, 2016

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

These are, IMO, easily the best kind of trove to get because the cost is so temporary. The only time I will not take them is with Chei.

The only time I've ever seen that trove cost was with a NaSu of Chei, I took that trove in a heartbeat and got a sweet Demon trident and I think a passable barding out of it, not that you should ever really expect anything out of troves. I got my piety back in like only a dungeon level or two. The thing about Chei is that while you lose a lot of power after you take that piety hit you get a bunch of maneuverability back, and you're still competitive with the dungeon as long as you've been smart with your skills.

SirSamVimes posted:

I had one game where I landed in sight of every rune guardian panlord.

It was... interesting.

I once dropped into Cerebov's level between him and the rune. Just walked up, grabbed it and ported out. This was before the lords started to chase you across pan if you didn't kill them.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

Stoat posted:

gently caress SHOALS

Can someone take a look at these dumps and tell me what I'm doing wrong?
I think I might need to branch into a weapon earlier so I can clear chaff out?

My stats are here.

With the one I just lost (the top score) it was at the point where I had nowhere to go - I got ruined in spider, in the rest of the dungeon or in shoals. I was struggling to keep up with the curve I guess.

I think you need to up your defenses. More dodging, and spend your enchant armour scrolls. It's generally a good idea to use them on your accessory slots, and there is no reason not to as a draconian.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Roctavian posted:

In like a couple years or so when I have free time, I'm gonna start working on crawl again, but could you like put those zombies in or something, because I think those serve a gameplay purpose

i'm like 90% sure you still have commit rights, but ok, i'll take care of it once tournament is over. (don't want players distracted by shiny new zombies..)

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

A good option for anyone who wants to make tiles would be to make new nets, the tiles we have now have no color depth to them at all and I'm fairly sure they are the oldest tiles the game is using.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PleasingFungus posted:

If anyone touches the eye of draining tile I will destroy them.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Internet Kraken posted:

If anyone touches the eye of draining tile I will destroydrain them.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

I once watched a dude land in a rune closet.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
PF I hope you actually add a frog species as listed on your design goals doc

On a more serious note for mean things that I think should be added, if I find a ring of resist corrosion early I'm happy, but only in a "well, once I do slime 2 hours later or run into caustic shrikes I'll put this on" way. I think there needs to be some additional enemy relatively early on that does acid damage to make the ring not borderline useless if dropped early until way way way later in the game, because jellies to me don't feel worth using the ring a lot of the time(they feel either easy or "walk away" targets...)and oklobs are a while later, and you just use invis on them or walk away. Entropy weavers are a good use for the ring but they're only in one branch even later which you might not get, and then the ring's sitting in my inventory uselessly til like, depths.

maybe acid slugs(d6-10?), which following on dart slugs are weak but have corrosive spit.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 12, 2016

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

jerkstoresup posted:

To add to this, what does Crawl need more people to work on, if anything? I'm not the best player, but I love this game and have some coding/graphics abilities and spare time.
Holla, such a warm welcome, how times have changed! :) Unfortunately, I cannot change my text on the left, so I look like the disgruntled and grizzlied German that I am. I blame SA for this (the inability to change the text, not being German.)

How to help: obviously PF would goad you to do tiles. Because he cannot play Crawl the way Trog god intended. Tile contributions are always cool, but there's more than can be done, even without coding: speech lines for uniques, imps, the Singing Sword, vaults for about any place in Crawl (the des syntax is reasonably easy to get into, start with simple flavour or entry vaults), portal vaults if you feel more ambitious (start by adding new maps for existing portal vaults). One of these months I will finish the new portal vault that's rotting on my branch!

If you have access to the source, look into docs/develop. The files tiles_creation.txt, monster_speech.txt, levels/introduction.txt provide context. If you need more support, it is probably best to head to ##crawl-dev on IRC. Thanks & cheers!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dpeg posted:

Holla, such a warm welcome, how times have changed! :) Unfortunately, I cannot change my text on the left, so I look like the disgruntled and grizzlied German that I am. I blame SA for this (the inability to change the text, not being German.)

How to help: obviously PF would goad you to do tiles. Because he cannot play Crawl the way Trog god intended. Tile contributions are always cool, but there's more than can be done, even without coding: speech lines for uniques, imps, the Singing Sword, vaults for about any place in Crawl (the des syntax is reasonably easy to get into, start with simple flavour or entry vaults), portal vaults if you feel more ambitious (start by adding new maps for existing portal vaults). One of these months I will finish the new portal vault that's rotting on my branch!

If you have access to the source, look into docs/develop. The files tiles_creation.txt, monster_speech.txt, levels/introduction.txt provide context. If you need more support, it is probably best to head to ##crawl-dev on IRC. Thanks & cheers!

i'm sure if you ask nicely somebody will give you a lovely new title more befitting of one such as you

Irving.jpg
Feb 5, 2007

Rhythm and blues.
Began as a Hill Orc Berserker on May 11, 2016.
Was the Champion of the Shining One.
Thrown by an iron giant (70 damage)
... on level 2 of the Depths on May 12, 2016.

Maybe a little overtuned for something that can show up as early as depths 1? I had 40 or so AC but apprantly it just flat out ignores armour. As a pure melee i'm really not sure what I can do to them.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Irving.jpg posted:

Began as a Hill Orc Berserker on May 11, 2016.
Was the Champion of the Shining One.
Thrown by an iron giant (70 damage)
... on level 2 of the Depths on May 12, 2016.

Maybe a little overtuned for something that can show up as early as depths 1? I had 40 or so AC but apprantly it just flat out ignores armour. As a pure melee i'm really not sure what I can do to them.

They are slower than average, so you can always just run away instead. Barring that, they have poo poo for EV, so you can hit them with almost anything from range (wands of acid are really good to carry around as a melee focused character anyway). If you have to get in melee range, use evocables or other sources of summons to distract it/up your damage output to kill them faster. If you have useful god powers, use them liberally as if it were an ancient lich, as iron giants aren't that common and are worth respecting.

Irving.jpg
Feb 5, 2007

Rhythm and blues.

Floodkiller posted:

They are slower than average, so you can always just run away instead. Barring that, they have poo poo for EV, so you can hit them with almost anything from range (wands of acid are really good to carry around as a melee focused character anyway). If you have to get in melee range, use evocables or other sources of summons to distract it/up your damage output to kill them faster. If you have useful god powers, use them liberally as if it were an ancient lich, as iron giants aren't that common and are worth respecting.

Yeah, I guess I should have just ran, I thought for some reason it was faster than average. Next time ill just drown it in god summons.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I just ogrecame adversity for the second time. Both were Chei ogres, and while it's a little boring to use the same god twice, I think the stat bonus is very helpful for ogres to get some accuracy in the early game and then some EV in the early-mid game to get past their humps. Chei remains nice in the late game because the strength boost makes their large rocks insane.

My second win was an ogre transmuter. I've heard people say they like that combo before and now I know why. Ogres are actually a decent transmuter species! Huge HP and huge Str work very well with most forms, and while late game forms are a pain to get online, early game forms are quite manageable with decent investment into spellcasting. By endgame, I felt just about as powerful as an endgame octopode transmuter. Not as much overkill damage, though I was still one-shotting orbs of fire, and not as much defense, but almost 500 HP in dragonform at maxed fighting skill is hard to argue with. Once you have that much HP, enemy damage spikes seem to even out a little. You can get hit for a huge amount of damage in a couple turns and still have 300 HP and so much damage output that you just don't care.

My first win was a more traditional ogre that used a GSC and large rocks with near maxed throwing skill. I went a little into magic and put all points into int, but that was a mistake, since I the biggest spell I cast was silence and I never really needed it. I originally wanted to do melee supported by hexes, but throwing was just too hard to pass up. It is still incredibly good, in spite of the nerf. I suppose that, to no one's surprise, it's still probably the best ranged skill, especially with Chei stats.

However, I still believe that 20 base delay is too high for large rocks. They didn't feel significantly better than javelins until my throwing was in the 20s, which would make perfect sense if they were available to all species, but seems strange for a weapon that's available only to ogres and trolls. The nerf to throwing was absolutely deserved and has improved the game, but I don't think anyone could have ever rationally maintained that ogres needed to be nerfed. I think it would be more appropriate for large rocks to have 17 or 18 base delay, for trolls to have their aptitude lowered, if they're considered too powerful, and for ogres to have their aptitude pushed back up to +1. That way large species would still need a good investment into throwing to make use of their ultimate weapon, but they would be usable before the end of the game.

There is a good counterargument to my point, which is that it's fair for ogres to have to choose between GSCs or large rocks, and if they choose the ranged option, they still have the much more affordable, plain great clubs to use in melee. Trolls, similarly, should have to choose between very high unarmed damage or very high ranged damage. If that was the reasoning behind the extremely high base delay, then I can understand it. However, I still think that while trolls are quite strong and easy to play, ogres can be a frustratingly weak at times and were a little more fun when they had access to a limited, but extremely powerful ranged nuke in the early and middle game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

The real place is not as pleasant as the ad makes it out to be. I try to avoid it.

----

Not too long ago in this very thread we talked a little bit about Gargoyles, and how good they are. Despite Frail x2, I contend that they are one of the strongest, if not the strongest race in the game. Look at this gear list:

pre:
rFire  + . .      SeeInvis .    k - +9 executioner's axe (holy)
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    P - +12 gold dragon armour
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    (shield currently unavailable)
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    o - +2 helmet
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    Y - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    Z - +2 pair of fencer's gloves {LBl+4 SBl+4 EV+3 Dex+6}
SustAt .          Harm     .    g - +2 pair of boots {run}
MR     ++++.                    h - amulet of regeneration
Stlth  ..........               F - +6 ring of evasion
                                V - ring of protection from magic
Outside of the gloves, that gear list is so incredibly average as to be depressing. Nearly all of that gear is effectively guaranteed in a 15 rune run, but I spent the entire post-end game tabbing through hell and pan. rRot, rElec, rPois+++, perma-flight, and 20 free AC are all so strong. Torment Resistance is huge. It's a bonkers strong race and even with so-so apts, that ceases to matter after your third rune.

Anyway, Grs are great and strong and if you've never dinked around the post endgame world before, I argue that a Gargoyle of TOS is the easiest race/god to do it with.

You have boots of running, the best item in the game. Any dude with boots of running should probably 15rune. (Gargs are still insane)

• Locked thread