Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Paradox should make a game set in Africa starting in the 50s and 60s where you play a newly independent former colony. You wouldn't be painting the continent with your colour but more dealing with both your own internal politics and the world politics of the Cold War. Being a Mega-Mugabe kleptocrat should be just as viable of a playstyle as actually trying, and probably failing, to improve things despite everything.

Africa: The Civil War simulator.

Try to hold together a country as it careens off the tracks and fly down the hill, while simultaneously bursting into flames. Trying to balance your own need to finance your corrupt power structure with actually developing the country. Fighting brutal civil wars wherein the USA supports your enemies and the USSR supports you, with all the fun little things that getting supported by a superpower involves.

That honestly sounds really enjoyable, in an insurmountable challenge kind of way.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Paradox should make a game set in Africa starting in the 50s and 60s where you play a newly independent former colony. You wouldn't be painting the continent with your colour but more dealing with both your own internal politics and the world politics of the Cold War. Being a Mega-Mugabe kleptocrat should be just as viable of a playstyle as actually trying, and probably failing, to improve things despite everything.

Tropico and the newer game Rogue State all somewhat address this, though neither are about African colonies specifically.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Something like a real-world Tropico, then. I even figured it would/should have the "Swiss Bank Account" idea in it, where you're trying to siphon off the country's value for your own gain without screwing everything up for your position of power at the same time.

I'm really intrigued by the idea of a "deep," rather than "wide" Paradox game now. So choose an independent country on the continent of Africa, and the rest of the world/the superpowers are somewhat abstracted. In (especially) the HoI series, minor countries can feel like a bit of an afterthought compared to the great powers. Sounds interesting at the least to subvert that.

Cantorsdust posted:

Tropico and the newer game Rogue State all somewhat address this, though neither are about African colonies specifically.

Dang, beat me to the Tropico reference as I was typing up the post!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

The Narrator posted:

Something like a real-world Tropico, then. I even figured it would/should have the "Swiss Bank Account" idea in it, where you're trying to siphon off the country's value for your own gain without screwing everything up for your position of power at the same time.

I'm really intrigued by the idea of a "deep," rather than "wide" Paradox game now. So choose an independent country on the continent of Africa, and the rest of the world/the superpowers are somewhat abstracted. In (especially) the HoI series, minor countries can feel like a bit of an afterthought compared to the great powers. Sounds interesting at the least to subvert that.

Dang, beat me to the Tropico reference as I was typing up the post!

We need Victoria-style mechanics for that, though. Population politics, etc. Basically please for the love of god give me Victoria 3

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Cantorsdust posted:

Hidden Agenda is another really good (really old) banana republic simulator. It's basically what Rogue State tried to be.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

My gut would say USA, China, India, Russia, Germany, UK, Brazil, Japan for a Modern Day Scenario. Are you going to be setting it in 2016, or something in the recent past/near future? The whole "HOI4 cannot model modern geopolitics effectively" thing can go out the window if you just concoct an alternate storyline that results in a (conventional) WW3.

That scenario almost certainly involves Donald Trump, Brexit, Marine le Pen, and Putin.

Drone fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 12, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
What about South Africa? They're one of the BRICS and it gives Africa some more relevance.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I think if you're wringing your hands over it just choose the 8 most interesting countries to play. The UNSC permanent members (France does a lot of African operations), Japan, Brazil, South Africa? Maybe a bit too much focus on regional powers that way.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

FreudianSlippers posted:

This won't happen because paradox's consumer base of neo-nazis won't get to play as germany.

I mean I guess it could fly if they let you play as Rhodesia.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Drone posted:

My gut would say USA, China, India, Russia, Germany, UK, Brazil, Japan for a Modern Day Scenario. Are you going to be setting it in 2016, or something in the recent past/near future? The whole "HOI4 cannot model modern geopolitics effectively" thing can go out the window if you just concoct an alternate storyline that results in a (conventional) WW3.

That scenario almost certainly involves Donald Trump, Brexit, Marine le Pen, and Putin.

1993-2023

I like your list. I think those are my picks as well.

Honorary mentions for Iran just because I think it would be fun to play.

ninja edit: There will most definitely the possibility of a President Trump. Maybe even... a President Palin?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Do we know if HoI4 has a hard limit on the top 8? Because if you can just mod more trees in than it's pretty moot. At the least France and Iran would be great additions, maybe Turkey/Canada/Israel/other secondary in the same fashion too

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fuligin posted:

I'm real pumped for HoIV. I'm sure it'll have its rough edges but at the least it looks fleshed out and robust systems wise, which is... not something you can really say about Stellaris atm.

What's the problem with Stellaris?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Phlegmish posted:

It looks like the forming consensus for Stellaris is that it's well-designed and well-executed, just a little bit sparse at the moment. Midgame especially is apparently a stumbling block; things stall to a degree because the AI doesn't take enough risks. Things like diplomacy (especially federations) need a bit more content.

I haven't hit that point yet because I haven't played all that much, but that's what I've been seeing people say.

I think the game has a lot of potential, and the systems that are in there work really well and make for interesting decisions. It's a solid 8/10 or a 4-star game and I can't wait to see what happens to it when modders crack it open and expansions start getting planned out.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 12, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Phlegmish posted:

Seems like it depends on the map, and the random roll of AI ethoses whether you get an interesting and dynamic game, or very stilted and slow one.

It also looks like sector AI is really simple, and is being blamed a bit for poorly performing AI empires. Not sure how correct that is though.

Still fun, just a bit hit and miss sometimes. :shrug:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

People have reported that the early game with colonizing and expansion is a lot of fun, but once all the colonies are claimed, the midgame and diplomacy/war with other powers feels underwhelming. That's something fixed a la EU4 and CK2 with DLC to flesh out those mechanics. In addition, there's a fair number of bugs, but that is super fixable with patches. In short. Stellaris is another promising, but not quite there yet Paradox game, similar to their other modern releases. I'd love for Paradox to release a game that feels fully formed from the beginning, but they're not there yet.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Was CK2 actually lovely in the beginning? I remember it being pretty silly fun.

edit: My biggest Stellaris disappointment is how little they did with the cool leader heads -- you hardly need diplomacy at all.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 12, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Phlegmish posted:

Early game is fantastic, mid-game can be a real slog with very little happening (depending heavily on how your galaxy rolled and how your AI empires are), late game picks up again a bit with crises what whatnot.

The diplomacy feels shallow, and the researching anomalies/quest chains kinda peter off in the midgame. There are a fair amount of bugs that are annoying as with any Paradox launch.

That still hasn't stopped me from being addicted to the game, but if you're used to Paradox's other existing titles that have had the benefit of years of continuous development and iteration, it feels a bit sparse. But still it's a good game that will only get better.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Very much not lovely (and neither is Stellaris), but I definitely remember a distinct feeling that it was a mile wide and an inch deep. Basically what some people are saying about Stellaris, too. Still didn't stop me from being addicted to that back then either.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It was (e:silly fun), but there really were still a bunch of not well thought out things in at the start. For instance the way victorious crusades broke into a thousand pieces and all had overseas penalties to their liege relations meant crusader states basically didn't form.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It was (e:silly fun), but there really were still a bunch of not well thought out things in at the start. For instance the way victorious crusades broke into a thousand pieces and all had overseas penalties to their liege relations meant crusader states basically didn't form.

i just really wish ck2+ crusades had made it into the base game.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I think some of people's issues with Stellaris is either that they are new to Paradox and don't know what to expect, or, like me, going from a maxed out EU4 to a bareboned new IP. It is still a lot of fun (as my 13 hours of playtime can attest to) but there are also many missing pieces that are sorely needed like some simple map modes and a more consistent AI. So it's like Eu4 when it was released: fun and quite addictive with loads of potential, but also loads of stuff that should have been fixed or noticed before it was released.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

If HOI4's release state is like Stellaris, I'll honestly be satisfied. Stellaris has its problems but it's also a drat addictive game and I've spent nearly all of my free time since release playing it. Paradox is the only developer that I have absolute faith in with regards to patching and iteration, it's just a matter of time.

Though I'm optimistic for HOI4 deep down, I'm also extremely cautious about it. HOI2 was one of my first mapgame loves and HOI3 was one of my bigger gaming disappointments. I know, and I think Paradox also knows, that HOI4 is going to be a difficult formula to nail down correctly, and I think that's part of the reason why release has been delayed so long. Hopefully it's been worth the extra time.

I'm already predicting that there will be AI issues though, based on Stellaris's AI and on the WWW streams. I highly doubt it'll be anything approaching unplayable like HOI3 was at release (and a long time thereafter), but I can imagine the AI being a bit dumb.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Fintilgin posted:

I couldn't figure out why they'd do this, but EU3 mods still seems to be there for me? :confused:

I'd tried to navigate to the EU3 forum and then didn't see any of the subforums... I guess my login must've expired and I didn't notice!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A White Guy posted:

Africa: The Civil War simulator.

Try to hold together a country as it careens off the tracks and fly down the hill, while simultaneously bursting into flames. Trying to balance your own need to finance your corrupt power structure with actually developing the country. Fighting brutal civil wars wherein the USA supports your enemies and the USSR supports you, with all the fun little things that getting supported by a superpower involves.

That honestly sounds really enjoyable, in an insurmountable challenge kind of way.

This would be the hardest and most frustrating game ever.

I keep getting coup'ed before I've had time to set up my Swiss bank account :qq:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

PleasingFungus posted:

i just really wish ck2+ crusades had made it into the base game.

What was different?

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

What was different?

CK2+ Crusades don't just give the character with most war participation the land, there's a whole thing of choosing between taking over their new land and handing off their old holdings to a relative or handing off the winnings to a relative. There's also have this whole thing of pestering the winner to award your relatives land from the crusade if you have war participation from it. Its one of a handful of CK2+ changes I really really miss.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

What was different?

It created independent kingdoms with a leader that was usually some landless relative of the participant with the highest contribution then gave out some titles to others if they also contributed a bunch. Then gave the resulting realm a 10 year universal truce with everyone. I liked it much better than the normal version which just created what was basically a colony of some European power in the Middle East.

Star posted:

I think some of people's issues with Stellaris is either that they are new to Paradox and don't know what to expect, or, like me, going from a maxed out EU4 to a bareboned new IP. It is still a lot of fun (as my 13 hours of playtime can attest to) but there are also many missing pieces that are sorely needed like some simple map modes and a more consistent AI. So it's like Eu4 when it was released: fun and quite addictive with loads of potential, but also loads of stuff that should have been fixed or noticed before it was released.

EU4 and even CK2 had alot more to go on as regards incorporating mechanics and ideas developed in earlier games with the same setting and circustmances. Stellaris doesn't have this as much, and is kind of a mess at the moment, though I have to admit it's an engaging and fun mess, but it needs a lot of work to get to where it should be.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 12, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I played CK2 some time after Conclave released as the Count of Lyon and became Duke, won the Crusade for Jerusalem, and thus Jerusalem became part of the Holy Roman Empire. It should really surprise me that Crusades still work in a stupid way like that when mods have fixed that long ago, but it kind of doesn't.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

edit: My biggest Stellaris disappointment is how little they did with the cool leader heads -- you hardly need diplomacy at all.

CK2 was actually even funnier and less buggy on release than just after some expansions (I'm looking at you, Rajas of India!). Sure, there were plenty of unpolished stuff (like not being able to discern how a character died beyond natural death/unnatural death). But the core elements of gameplay - dynasty management, inheritance, war - were all there since the beginning and didn't change that much through all these years.

Compare it to Sengoku, which technically had everything CK2 did - events, characters, dynasties, plots, feudal diplomacy. The problem with that game was that this stuff was either very basic, or you never actually had a reason to interact with it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

ExtraNoise posted:

"Major 8" modern day mod update (if you're interested):

I tried to come up with a sure-fire way to generate the major 8 using data! And metrics! And indexes!

And the result doesn't have Russia in it so I think I'm just going to scrap the idea at this point and pick the 8 countries I think would be the most interesting to play in a modern day mod.

While I'm somewhat flattered with having my tiny country end up at #12, I'm not really sure what Norway has done to deserve that spot.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Won the geographical lottery?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

The 'Major 8' might be more straight forward if you used say the EU, or NATO, as a single superstate, but I don't know whether the game engine throws other obstacles up if you take that route.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

ThaumPenguin posted:

While I'm somewhat flattered with having my tiny country end up at #12, I'm not really sure what Norway has done to deserve that spot.

An integral part of our cultural history. Offshore oil drilling. Eyoooo

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Archaeology Hat posted:

CK2+ Crusades don't just give the character with most war participation the land, there's a whole thing of choosing between taking over their new land and handing off their old holdings to a relative or handing off the winnings to a relative. There's also have this whole thing of pestering the winner to award your relatives land from the crusade if you have war participation from it. Its one of a handful of CK2+ changes I really really miss.

Randarkman posted:

It created independent kingdoms with a leader that was usually some landless relative of the participant with the highest contribution then gave out some titles to others if they also contributed a bunch. Then gave the resulting realm a 10 year universal truce with everyone. I liked it much better than the normal version which just created what was basically a colony of some European power in the Middle East.

Yeah that was a great mechanic, you had enough incentive to throw in with the crusaders (the possibility of having your dynasty become a force on the other side of Europe was cool) without it being another mundane way to expand.

Another thing it changed was that the crusaders became a new culture (Outremer I think?) so all the disparate crusader lords got along better than if there was a Frankish King of Jerusalem with random German, Italian and Spanish dukes and counts under him. Also stopped the bizarre tendency for enclaves of French to pop up there.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Helicon One posted:

The 'Major 8' might be more straight forward if you used say the EU, or NATO, as a single superstate, but I don't know whether the game engine throws other obstacles up if you take that route.

I would think those would make more sense as factions (like Axis/Allies/Comintern) than individual super-states. Although then you still have to sort out who goes into which faction, which gets tricky with overlaps like EU members that are also in NATO.

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
So since I've been in the mood for a new strategy game, I figure its time I give one from Paradox a shot since they seem to be pretty beloved. I'm pretty interested in CK2 because the whole playing a dynasty thing instead of just a generic leader and being able to make strategic marriages and such sounds pretty cool. I'm also really interested in Stellaris too though given that I love sci-fi. If I can only afford one at the moment which should I get

Also my pc is getting pretty old at this point. I'm still rocking a 5770 and I5 from the generation right before Sandy Bridge. Would Stellaris even run well on my machine?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Get EU4 instead, that's their current best game.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

katka posted:

So since I've been in the mood for a new strategy game, I figure its time I give one from Paradox a shot since they seem to be pretty beloved. I'm pretty interested in CK2 because the whole playing a dynasty thing instead of just a generic leader and being able to make strategic marriages and such sounds pretty cool. I'm also really interested in Stellaris too though given that I love sci-fi. If I can only afford one at the moment which should I get

Also my pc is getting pretty old at this point. I'm still rocking a 5770 and I5 from the generation right before Sandy Bridge. Would Stellaris even run well on my machine?

EU4 is probably the most solid right now, but CK2 is tons of fun. Stellaris just released so it's still rough around the edges and parts of it need fleshing out but it looks to be solid as well. You can probably run any of them, they are not terribly resource intensive (excluding mods that go crazy on some stuff and the CK2 lategame where there's a bunch more characters running around).

You should be able to pick up both CK2 and EU4 along with a bunch of expansions for peanuts whenever they go on sale.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

You'll be able to get CK2 and EU4 basegames in the next sale for like $9 each. CK2 especially goes on sale crazy often.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

CK2's on sale on IndieGala right now: https://www.indiegala.com/store/product/crusader-kings-ii/203770_ig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Get CK2 if you like roleplaying, get EU4 if you like strategy, get Stellaris if you have a time machine.