Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
This probably isn't new, but if you button spam (ie do something specifc) enough with the spellblades you can do a handspring backwards that is similar to the old "maxed out" roll from previous games.

Involving R1 spam and pressing opposing movement directions. Not exact, more like a cartwheel backwards. Still pretty rad if you could pull it off regularly.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Is that Lara Croft with a katana?

Also, is there a trick I'm missing to dealing with Pus of Man? I've unlocked the shortcut in CKG so I'm pretty well done dealing with multiples, but still. I was nearly ready to farm up a +9 Chaos Dark Sword or similar just to cheese them because I cannot for the life of me anticipate their attacks.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Use firebombs to set them on fire and then attack them and kill them before they're no longer on fire. There's a fire immunity period shortly after it wears off so if you don't kill them before then you'll probably eat an attack or you can just run away as it ends and wait to throw another firebomb.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I don't mind that poise is gone but it would be nice if they literally removed poise stuff from the game instead of leaving it there to taunt you.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

GreyPowerVan posted:

I don't mind that poise is gone but it would be nice if they literally removed poise stuff from the game instead of leaving it there to taunt you.

If they are going to remove it, they could at least reduce the weight of armour significantly for fashion purposes. I keep reminding myself that each Souls game was broken in one way or other and the patched versions are radically different

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Have they made grinding covenant ranks less miserable yet? I haven't played in awhile because I got burnt out on collecting ears.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The part that gets me is they said "oh no it's working...but it's working in a different way from literally all our other games!" But then they neglected to say how it actually works. That sounds like such bullshit, a "the dog ate my homework" kind of excuse you give when you know you hosed up.

Honestly I'm kinda glad this is the last Souls game. FROM's community interaction is just absolute poo poo. I mostly play Paradox games and to compare how they interact with the community versus FROM is night and day.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Dark souls PvP in a nutshell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYlDt-FQNwc

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Melanion posted:

Also, is there a trick I'm missing to dealing with Pus of Man? I've unlocked the shortcut in CKG so I'm pretty well done dealing with multiples, but still. I was nearly ready to farm up a +9 Chaos Dark Sword or similar just to cheese them because I cannot for the life of me anticipate their attacks.

They are very weak to fire. If you have an attunement slot, throw one of the fireballs in it and use that.

Some enemies are extra weak to fire in that they freak out and don't do anything for a couple seconds when hit, on top of taking extra damage, which means you can hit them with a fire attack and then stab them to death safely. I forget if those guys do but use fire anyway

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Moral victory is the best

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Ugh, yeah. I had a ton of these tonight too. Is there any penalty for pulling the plug like DS2?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Grand Archives is simply fantastic. The place is a massive maze, but you can see the whole level from just about any point. The wax head and cursed books gimmick was really neat and helped add a bit of unique flavor. The progression was great as well, a single bonfire and tons of shortcuts, kinda like a DeS level. This probably beats out Cathedral of the Deep for my favorite area.

Also I just had the most rear end clenchingly tense fight of the game against Oceiros. I was like this for a good fifth of his health bar and had to start playing aggresively so I could finish him before I made a mistake.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Every now and then I meet a player with the default face and I tear up a little

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

how can you even tell

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Oh my god the starting portion of this game is loving crazy hard as a cleric. I rerolled as a herald and got further without dying than I had as a cleric in three brutal hours of constant death

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Regarding poise...

I'm not sure the guy who said he "enabled poise" knows exactly what he did.

I suspect that what's going on here is that the player uses a new poise system, but for simplicity the enemies use the DS1 style one.

There is in fact a switch in DS1 to enable poise for individual characters in the debug menu, but that was attached to the old system, which does not appear to be in force here. What he probably did was just enable DS1 poise for the player.

So yeah. From what I can tell, From is telling the truth here, but is not explaining what is going on.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 12, 2016

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Archdragon Peak lends itself so drat well to screenshots.

Though honestly, just about everything in this game does.

I spent the better part of an afternoon sunbro'ing at Nameless King, and it's good times. Though successful kills are few and far between due to how mean that guy is, on those occasions I've established a consistent pattern of 1. always scoring the killing blow with the goofy leaping ninja slash that comes with the dual katana weapon and 2. always dying as I do it. Because when you're a one or two-hit kill for a boss, you can make it work. I hope my hosts appreciate the theatrics. :black101:

I should probably stop dicking around and try NG+, though.

Does anything really change in it or is it just everything has more HP?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Regarding poise...

I'm not sure the guy who said he "enabled poise" knows exactly what he did.

I suspect that what's going on here is that the player uses a new poise system, but for simplicity the enemies use the DS1 style one.

There is in fact a switch in DS1 to enable poise for individual characters in the debug menu, but that was attached to the old system, which does not appear to be in force here. What he probably did was just enable DS1 poise for the player.

So yeah. From what I can tell, From is telling the truth here, but is not explaining what is going on.

Poise still shows no functional use if its still really on if the Bamco guy in the Kotaku article is actual correct and it is on.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Poise appears to be a percentage now.

I'm not exactly sure "of what" though. It is definitely not like the DS1 system.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

I'm not exactly sure "of what" though. It is definitely not like the DS1 system.

Well each individual poise piece is multiplied by the others so 45 + 12.5 is ~53 poise.

Does setting it to 0 percent or 100 percent seem to do anything?

Kild fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 12, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Tallgeese posted:

A % of 0 is still 0.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Your fashion and taste in weapons is too nice to deserve this :smith:

The real hell of it is anyone with half a brain would realize that with their phantom dead, you'd soon fade away with a shackle.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I keep wanting to use the ceastus for invasions but have to remind myself that no, its really bad and you'll be miserable. Dammit From :negative:

Mazed posted:

I should probably stop dicking around and try NG+, though.

Does anything really change in it or is it just everything has more HP?

There are no changes to enemy spawns and attacks other than damage and HP.

VVV DS2 fists were wayyyy better. I haven't tried it myself but experience with short range weapons against multiple opponents (and this is 90% of invasions) is making me doubt the weapon with literally no range.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 12, 2016

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Internet Kraken posted:

I keep wanting to use the ceastus for invasions but have to remind myself that no, its really bad and you'll be miserable. Dammit From :negative:

Is it really that bad? I remember having surprising success as a punchman in DS2 invasions. I wanted to make a character around the demon fist eventually, too :(

Harvey Wallbanger
Aug 15, 2009
why in the living gently caress would you be able to parry the gundyr halberd weapon art

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Nice Silent Hill reference

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

At least FROM is sticking to its roots by not telling how the game works.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
In new game plus there are also the +1 rings (ng++ for the +2 rings) and some of the soul items you pick up have been replaced by higher level ones. Not much point unless you want to get the rings achievement or try out the boss weapons you didn't make the first go around.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Million Ghosts posted:

so is the Executioner's Greatsword kind of not good or am i missing something? just grabbed it on my Quality build in training dude and it seems sorta lackluster

It didn't get the same buff that all the other greatswords got so yeah it blows. If it was infusable it would probably be pretty good!

Kild posted:

Greatswords (and only greatswords from what I've seen) get hyper armor on swing if you get at least 1 poise. That's the only thing I've seen do absolutely anything with poise.

Basically everything heavier than regular axes / hammers gets hyper armour, so greatswords, halberds, UGS, great axes and hammers, no idea about reapers because they're bad. Not sure if maybe the slow spear moveset gets any?

Sup raw Glaive bro :hfive:

Harvey Wallbanger
Aug 15, 2009
as a followup question, why in the living gently caress would you as a red phantom invade into a world in which you had just been ganked by the host, a sunbro, and a blue, re-invade and see there is now a purple helping you out, and decide to promptly murder the purple instead of teaming up. this loving game's pvp man. reds dont get anything for killing purples right?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Basically everything heavier than regular axes / hammers gets hyper armour, so greatswords, halberds, UGS, great axes and hammers, no idea about reapers because they're bad. Not sure if maybe the slow spear moveset gets any?

What I said was a specific interaction. You can have 0 poise and still get hyper armor from Greataxe/Hammers etc. Greatsword class itself only gets it from having at least 1 poise.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Unfaltering Prayer works by...

...using the old DS1 poise system. Yeah.

Sunlight Talisman adds 120 DS1-style poise, while Saint's adds 30.

I think the stunt it is pulling is:

Step 1) Add DS1 poise.
Step 2) So long as that poise is unbroken, call a separate effect that applies a no-stagger state.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 12, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Actually the caestus is pretty good for invasions. It's not a perfect killing machine like power-stanced caestus were in DS2 but they're still fun and more effective than a lot of weapons. Dark Souls 3 caestus is also a lot more versatile

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV DS2 fists were wayyyy better. I haven't tried it myself but experience with short range weapons against multiple opponents (and this is 90% of invasions) is making me doubt the weapon with literally no range.

Did any of those weapons have a poise-boosting weapon art like the caestus? That makes a big difference.

The caestus also can't be parried (or at least no one has been able to parry me, despite many attempts that looked like they should have connected)

And if you're off-handing the caestus then you can parry with it when you trigger out of 2h-mode. That's pretty cool and surprises plenty of people who might usually be expecting a buckler to appear

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Dorhy's Gnawing is seriously amazing. You can get a ton of damage output with minimal stats as long as the enemy is susceptible to bleed. It's a bit slow, but I've been having a lot of luck with it in co-op. It's also usually a one hit bleed on weenie enemies so it has it's uses there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Huh, I didn't think about the weapon art cause I heard it lasted such a short time you couldn't even use it for a combo. If you've had success with it then maybe I could try it out. Mind me asking what kind of build you invaded with?

The last short range weapon I used was the bandit's dagger which didn't do much versus more than one person.

Harvey Wallbanger posted:

why in the living gently caress would you be able to parry the gundyr halberd weapon art

Well I mean you can parry it when Gundyr himself uses it.

as a followup question, why in the living gently caress would you as a red phantom invade into a world in which you had just been ganked by the host, a sunbro, and a blue, re-invade and see there is now a purple helping you out, and decide to promptly murder the purple instead of teaming up. this loving game's pvp man. reds dont get anything for killing purples right?

Some reds don't trust purples on principle and I don't think you can blame them for that. A lot of purples are fuckers cause that covenant is all about loving with people.

Also a bad purple or red is actually liability for the other invader as they will probably end up hitting you with friendly fire.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 12, 2016

Harvey Wallbanger
Aug 15, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Some reds don't trust purples on principle and I don't think you can blame them for that. A lot of purples are fuckers cause that covenant is all about loving with people.

Also a bad purple or red is actually liability for the other invader as they will probably end up hitting you with friendly fire.

yeah, good point. when it's 3v1 anyway though i would think you'd have nothing to lose by trusting the purple, unless you are very confident in your ability to take on a whole squad and win. which, to be fair, it seems like some people are pretty good at.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

yeah, good point. when it's 3v1 anyway though i would think you'd have nothing to lose by trusting the purple, unless you are very confident in your ability to take on a whole squad and win. which, to be fair, it seems like some people are pretty good at.

Whenever I see a purple I give them a wide berth until I get an idea for what their game plan is. Even then I half-expect them to stab me in the back if it would get them a shackle/would just be funny. Most of the time they try to help, though they are definitely the biggest source of confusion in my invasions.

But again, friendly fire being a thing among invaders can really screw you over. If another invader is careless, they can do a lot of damage to you. So a bad invader might just keep botching attacks while hitting you in the process. Hell I've even been in a 1v2 with another red and wished they weren't there just because they kept hitting me by accident. It'd be really funny if invaders had their own seed of giant equivalent that turned on friendly fire for all phantoms. That would really gently caress with gank squads that are used to flailing around wildly with no regard for what they hit as long as a red is nearby.

VVV 15 Dex and the sage's ring maxes out casting speed. You need a comically high amount of Dex to improve casting speed without the ring, so just use it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 12, 2016

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I read dex affects cast times. If this is true, is there any information on how much dex one should try to aim for?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Shoenin posted:

I read dex affects cast times. If this is true, is there any information on how much dex one should try to aim for?

Cast speed begins to rise at 11 Dex or above, and maxes out at 50 for all the spells I looked at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

all the ladies say I
Aug 24, 2005

Acción de Espionaje Táctico

Shoenin posted:

50 is the cap, sage ring gives the equivalent of 30/35/40 dex