Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
As far as im aware it depends on spells youre using. If the spells already have fast cast speed, dex wont help much at all. Slower spells it helps a lot. If you want the maximum cast speed then 45 dex is apparently the speed cap. Sage ring increase cast speed by a virtual 30 dex. +1 by 35 and +2 by 40. So if youre willing to use a ring slot for cast speed youll only need 15 dex using the regular sage ring and 5 if using the +2 one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The speed cap is 50.

I read the spell data, for all the spells I looked at it gives a range of 10 for minimum speed and 50 for maximum speed.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Someone asked about Perseverance: the description is misleading.

It does nothing to the poise stat, DS3 or DS1 flavors. It just straight up applies a no-stagger state.

It also provides what appears to be a deflection power of 35.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 12, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
anyone tried the broken bloodpoison in DS3 yet?

bbp in DS2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P1eKThZG-g

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

It does nothing to the poise stat, DS3 or DS1 flavors. It just straight up applies a no-stagger state.

It also provides an unstated bonus to your defense in the event you attempt to parry and fail, if I'm reading this right.

What about Iron Flesh (I assume its the same) and Stomp?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Tallgeese posted:

It also provides what appears to be a 35 point reduction in incoming damage.

This lines up with how its displayed on the stat screen(increased resistance, but no poise change), which is good, but also very dumb.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

The speed cap is 50.

I read the spell data, for all the spells I looked at it gives a range of 10 for minimum speed and 50 for maximum speed.

did the final 5 points actually give any observable diffrence to the slower spells?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Iron Flesh actually applies multiple separate effects, including, yes, a no-stagger like Perseverance.

---

Also, let me issue a correction for Perseverance, I didn't scroll down my structure far enough (it's bigger than DS1's) and momentarily forgot what some of these old DS1 variables do (they have very confusing names). It's been a while!

Perseverance (from Smough's Hammer) gives your body deflection good for up to 35 penetration. Any attack that does not do at least 35 penetration damage will cause the attacker to bounce off.

Sorry, these stats are applied in a confusing way...

It reduces all incoming HP damage by 45% (by increasing absorption), while apparently reducing status damage by 40%.

It then calls a separate effect that applies the actual glowy graphic.

And that should be all.

---

Stomp reduces all incoming HP damage by 50% without reflecting it in the status screen, using old DS1 variables to do so. I believe this means it applies as extra reduction on top of your absorption stats.

If it does make you unstaggerable, it's as part of its animation's hyper armor.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 12, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You can get staggered in Iron Flesh/ Perserverance.
But it takes eating all the hits from the Charge weapon art.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

While that might be possible, it is more likely that an attacker caught them as the no-stagger effect was ending, but not the visual effect. They're two separate effects with different timings.

For example, Iron Flesh does a thing where it keeps calling four separate effects, including the no-stagger, that expire every 0.1 seconds off of the main effect.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 12, 2016

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
made it past pontiff in ng+ and now to never progress further.

btw pontiff is a pain and i cant parry the bitch!!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I love purple signing. You never know entirely what's going to happen, whereas the over covenants are pretty predictable. Purple invading is less fun because it's more obvious what you're there for, and you lose the whole waiting for the perfect moment to strike thing.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Angrymog posted:

I love purple signing. You never know entirely what's going to happen, whereas the over covenants are pretty predictable. Purple invading is less fun because it's more obvious what you're there for, and you lose the whole waiting for the perfect moment to strike thing.
Yesterday I invaded as a purple in Irithyll, realized something was up when I saw that
a) "kill 3 phantoms or the host"
b) every single enemy was dead
then ran into a four-man gank squad.

I tend to at least try with those because I figure it's practice for me, and I do manage to evade them by flipping through the entire city, even down to the secret path to the lone Evangelist, but they even killed the Pontiff Knight hanging out in the corner down there (path doesn't proceed further due to fog wall). I roll back up again but now I'm out of Estus and almost dead due to incidental hits and one of them using loving Crystal Soul Spear as if it wasn't bullshit enough.
But then another purple invades.
I figure we can take down at least one and he has a small chance to earn his Shackle, so I roll towards him like a crazy person...
...and he attacks me.

I strike back because what the gently caress dude, then they actually gang up on him and kill him in milliseconds, then finish me off. And I get the Shackle I came here for! So

mission accomplished

good job dude

I still haven't fully understood which kind of phantom gets which reward when having this and that covenant equipped, so for me it was a pleasant surprise, but I later realized that he of course must have known that killing another purple would give you the Shackle, and that's why he immediately attacked me after seeing that I was one hit away from death and being chased by four dudes about to lay into him. I love purple psychology. Too bad it didn't work out pal :cool:.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

would he get the shackle had he let the other guys steal the kill?

also, do blue phantoms get anything if they get summoned but the red phantom dies before they can get to the fight?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Huh, I didn't think about the weapon art cause I heard it lasted such a short time you couldn't even use it for a combo. If you've had success with it then maybe I could try it out. Mind me asking what kind of build you invaded with?

I'm just dicking around in the game with a strength build, with a Heavy infusion the Caestus gets pretty decent scaling.

The weapon art does last a short time, but it activates extremely fast. It basically creates a near-instant 2-second window where you can launch an attack and not get interrupted. That's plenty of time to launch and complete a full combo with the caestus, but even if it wasn't all you'd need to do is connect with that first hit in order to get that stagger

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

also, do blue phantoms get anything if they get summoned but the red phantom dies before they can get to the fight?

Yeah you still get your Proof of a Concord Kept even if you never meet the red guy

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tallgeese posted:

While that might be possible, it is more likely that an attacker caught them as the no-stagger effect was ending, but not the visual effect. They're two separate effects with different timings.

For example, Iron Flesh does a thing where it keeps calling four separate effects, including the no-stagger, that expire every 0.1 seconds off of the main effect.

proof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvCbKNi7vL8&t=73s

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

And I think you get your shackle if you never meet the host, but you do need to have gotten hits in on phantoms. I got summoned in once to settlement on the the Evangelists overpass, and a second later - "Shackle gained" or whatever it says.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

What's the higher soul level multiplayer community like? I am soul level 120 in NG+ right now, and while I am not a PvP player, I love the various multiplayer interactions of dark souls. In DS2 I levelled my character through NG+7 and just kept levelling up, because past 12m soul memory you got matched into one big pool of players. Ideally I want to be able to do the same thing in this game, but I don't want to level myself out of range of invading/sunbroing/darkmoon/aldritch etc. I'm sitting on a ridiculous amount of souls right now because I don't want to level up a bunch and gently caress my character.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
How does this game handle save backups? I like to do a low level run and then throw it on a USB stick so I can try all the gimmicks, and wiping and reloading.

Are save backups handled like in Bloodborne, where it doesn't care and I'm hunky dory, or like in DaS2, where I'm cruising for a softban?

Hackan Slash fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 12, 2016

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Hackan Slash posted:

How does this game handle save backups? I like to do a low level run and then throw it on a USB stick so I can try all the gimmicks, and wiping and reloading.

Are save backups handled like in Bloodborne, where it doesn't care and I'm hunky dory, or like in DaS2, where I'm cruising for a softban?

No personal experience but Namco's official reply to people's accounts getting flagged by picking up non-legit items was that you should back up your save. If you get flagged, revert your save. So I'd find it hard to believe activity like you're describing could get you banned. But I also wouldn't put anything past them at this point.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm 4000 posts behind is poise fixed yet?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

BurritoJustice posted:

What's the higher soul level multiplayer community like? I am soul level 120 in NG+ right now, and while I am not a PvP player, I love the various multiplayer interactions of dark souls. In DS2 I levelled my character through NG+7 and just kept levelling up, because past 12m soul memory you got matched into one big pool of players. Ideally I want to be able to do the same thing in this game, but I don't want to level myself out of range of invading/sunbroing/darkmoon/aldritch etc. I'm sitting on a ridiculous amount of souls right now because I don't want to level up a bunch and gently caress my character.

Well apparently there's a problem with Poise?

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Blacktoll posted:

I suggest you stay there as the following 4000 posts are mainly people bitching about poise.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Blacktoll posted:

Yeah you just have to have high White Tendency

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Blacktoll posted:

Nope. In fact it's confirmed as working as intended!

Basically, "gently caress off its not going to change."

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Manatee Cannon posted:

Cops still get their pension

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

In Demon's Souls, you wear the Fluted set just because it looks so drat good. Worth it.

Definitely, and we spent those levels and by god we're using them. :v:

Demon's Souls is pretty fun so far. We started as Royal to screw around with the most right off the bat.

quote:

DS2 > DS3 > DS1 > DeS > Bloodborne

:yeah:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I run around with way of the blue and just let the blues do their work and not attack the invader

Blues need some love

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blacktoll posted:

It requires you to equip the Pendant.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
So apparently Vow of Silence works of Aldrich, and the Deacons of the Deep. I'm wondering what else it will work on. Crystal Sage?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rough Lobster posted:

So apparently Vow of Silence works of Aldrich, and the Deacons of the Deep. I'm wondering what else it will work on. Crystal Sage?

It works on Crystal Sage and is as hilarious as you expect. Also Prince Lothric. It even stops the teleporting.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ZenVulgarity posted:

Blues need some love
There's so much they could have done with the covenants if they'd wanted. Change Rosaria's up to limit estus/summons but have them get first priority for Darkmoons, fix Watchdogs/bluecop summons so they actually work, change one of the bluecop groups so its both a helper/helped covenant, have Way of Blue decrease your invasion priority slightly to make it more of a "gently caress PVP, I don't wanna" covenant, make it so that one of the bluecop groups that use a Red Eye Orb instead invade sinners/members of the Fingers/something. Right now we have two identical bluecop groups, an invasion covenant that does nothing whatsoever for being in it besides giving you a different reward if you kill a bluecop, and a newbie covenant that a lot of people will just switch out of because the auto-summon is broken and its trivial to just go run get new summons. Oh, and make it so that Mound Makers can get a reward for getting the host to the fogwall, though a Shackle seems like too much reward.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's striking to me how similar Luck is to Bloodborne's Bloodtinge stat. It only does one thing well, but oh boy does it do that thing well. In Bloodborne, before DLC, there was only one melee weapon you'd want on a solid Bloodtinge build, so DS3 has more going on for a Luck build, but it's still a similar "just absolutely melt things" gimmick. And they both pair well with Dexterity (Skill), too!

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Ugato posted:

No personal experience but Namco's official reply to people's accounts getting flagged by picking up non-legit items was that you should back up your save. If you get flagged, revert your save. So I'd find it hard to believe activity like you're describing could get you banned. But I also wouldn't put anything past them at this point.

It got you banned in DaS2 because your Soul Memory was stored by the servers, and if it was a million one day and fifty thousand the next it flagged you. I thought the back up stuff was only if you did it immediately.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All I really understood from all this bitching about poise is this.

Someone could make a patch enabling poise using memory edits, and I would not get banned for it.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Is there something I'm missing with Aural Decoy, or is it actually the worst incarnation of the spell in all of the souls games? It seems to have the same exact effect as shooting an arrow at a wall near the enemies. It just makes them turn to look at it for a couple of seconds and won't work on them if they've already spotted you.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Hackan Slash posted:

It got you banned in DaS2 because your Soul Memory was stored by the servers, and if it was a million one day and fifty thousand the next it flagged you. I thought the back up stuff was only if you did it immediately.

I think it was a little more sophisticated than that because I used save backups frequently. Maybe because I was on PS4?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Octo1 posted:

Is there something I'm missing with Aural Decoy, or is it actually the worst incarnation of the spell in all of the souls games? It seems to have the same exact effect as shooting an arrow at a wall near the enemies. It just makes them turn to look at it for a couple of seconds and won't work on them if they've already spotted you.

It's primarily a PVP spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

It's primarily a PVP spell.

I will go shoot it at gankers