Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

AmbientParadox posted:

With the exchange rate being so lovely, he may very well turn a profit.

Yep. Dolla dolla bills yall

edit: as the conversation develops with my wife and I (ongoing and slow moving since it would likely be far off), it's looking less and less likely for a return to Korea, but the whole international school thing is something we'll definitely have to figure out before we decide. It's agreed that the public schools in Korea probably are not a place for our kids. So either we pay a high price for a small house in America near a city or a higher price for a house in Korea and international school. Unless we somehow became super wealthy, that doesn't look likely. Crazy that it looks like it's much more expensive to live in Korea than a west coast tech-heavy city for us.

If what I've said above is untrue, then that would be helpful to know. We don't know anything about the quality of a good international school, the location of all of them, any exceptions to the rules, etc.

If you still feel like doing a brain dump on the subject it would be much appreciated, though. I've done nearly all I can to find information so far, but maybe need a bit more time to research.

TreFitty fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

AmbientParadox posted:

Semantics. Wizards now occupy the den of Unicorns and Suwon is better off for it.

Besides, Heroes have such a dumb mascot.

Doing quite well for a second year team as well.

Meanwhile, after last year's fluke the Eagles have returned to their normal position at the very bottom of the barrel. Yay.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Don't be kissing on rooftops please

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Half-Korean kids in my elementary school were picked on by other students and treated more harshly by the teachers if their mother was the non-Korean parent because "they are foreigners and we don't have to treat them like Korean students." If they had a Korean mother, the teachers would come to their aid if they were bullied.

I am quite sure that this is not the norm, but we were in freakin' ULSAN, so it's not like a half-Korean child was so loving unusual.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

bringmyfishback posted:

Half-Korean kids in my elementary school were picked on by other students and treated more harshly by the teachers if their mother was the non-Korean parent because "they are foreigners and we don't have to treat them like Korean students." If they had a Korean mother, the teachers would come to their aid if they were bullied.

I am quite sure that this is not the norm, but we were in freakin' ULSAN, so it's not like a half-Korean child was so loving unusual.
Yea, so this kind of poo poo makes me think I'll be here at least another 20 years, which isn't so bad...at least right now it's not.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Meanwhile, I have a lot of mixed race or straight foreign students who are treated fine. In the countryside though, where mixed kids are super common though, which might result in them being more accepted?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

bringmyfishback posted:

I wouldn't know about that since I never saw any half-Korean or foreign students while I attended school when I was a kid, but in general Koreans treat anyone 'different' harshly. Even in Korean schools it's 'normal' for teachers and students to do that, not to mention Korean society as a whole. When the society and education system teach everyone to be identical to others, any 'abnormalities' would be stomped on with extreme prejudice.

Sure some of us are aware of the problems, but there's absolutely nothing we can do. That's why people just accept it as is or leave the country.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
Even at international schools, we have to watch the kids bullying half Koreans. A few schools decided to make speaking English a rule in the elementary schools and middle schools since once the Korean came out bullying started. And the bullying I've seen here is the worst I've seen in Asia. These kids are under ten and hateful to each other! The Western-raised Koreans are a little less cruel, but growing up here seems to be the common trait of the worst behavior towards classmates. Is there a reason why these kids are so angry?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was at the designated school for foreign/half kids and yeah the level of abuse towards them was incredible, once I started understanding enough Korean to follow all the racial slurs being used towards them. It was sad, they were totally checked out.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

JimBobDole posted:

Is there a reason why these kids are so angry?

The dim awareness of their impending circumcision?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm sure it's connected to whatever makes Korean elementary schools Thunderdome. My school's campus in China has an elementary school so I see them all the time and the level of violence is nothing even remotely close to what I saw in Korean schools.

The teachers would bully the mixed kids too, which totally gives the green light to go for it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I teach at two elementary schools and two middle schools and have taught at others... I've never seen physical violence. Thunderdome?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

JimBobDole posted:

Is there a reason why these kids are so angry?

If my dad was some ajeossi rear end in a top hat I'd be an angry kid too.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

I teach at two elementary schools and two middle schools and have taught at others... I've never seen physical violence. Thunderdome?

At my regular job I don't really see it. I'll see verbal bullying and whatnot, but nothing out of the ordinary for typical 12 year old boys.

Camps are another story. Most of the camps are split into two groups: Seoul/Gyeonggi, and everyone else (due to logistics). The Everyone-Else kids are usually all pretty chill. They get along better. I'd imagine the geographic differences leads to a more diverse student body and less typical usual defining markers (big house may not mean big money if you live in the boonies for example). Seoul/Gyeonggi? Petty motherfuckers they are. The kids who come from affluent areas have better English; this gives them 2 reasons to belittle others. When this assumption isn't reinforced by the teachers, students, or program, they get grumpy. One year I had two kids that on their own or with their own small group of friends were really nice kids; they listened well, did their work, etc. However, whenever they were in the same group for projects or god forbid sat at the same table for meals (with 10 other people), they'd fight. One memorable fight went something like this:
:) "Hey A, how big is your house?"
:haw: "Uhh, I guess 30 평 ?"
:) "Haha, mine's 50평 Your house is so small, your family must be poor!"
:haw: "50평? My grandmother's house is that big. But she lives in the country side. So you probably also live on a farm."
:) "Shut up!"
:haw: "No, YOU shut up!"

* I dont remember the exact 평's dropped but yeah.

At another camp, I had a kid who grew up in the US, and only recently came back to Korea 6 months before the camp. Suffice to say, his Korean wasn't that good. He could speak okay and could write okay, but his reading comprehension in Korean was pretty bad; other students would have to help him with certain activities that would be in Korean for the students benefit (think a personality test). He was great for the teachers since he was just Johnny America for us. But sometimes the other kids would crack wise at his Korean. It was annoying to hear these kids mock someone they'd only known for 2 hours because he called it "Coke" not "콜라".

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.
I'm becoming increasingly irritated with what I perceive as military spouses doing illegal activities. Maybe I am off base, I don't know. But I am having a difficult time finding the answers on the internet so I am asking you fine folks for information / input.

The issue is spouses doing home-based businesses, such as hair cutting, baking, making and selling goods, things like that. The Legal Office on base has apparently told individuals that if they don't live on base, they don't need base permission to do such things. The spouses seem to take that as an okay to go ahead and make some money. However, we (military dependents) are here on an A-3 visa. To the best of my knowledge, we can not make money on the economy here. In order to do so, one would need a different visa, correct?

What is the legal information I can present to these people? At the very least, it seems to me that they are abusing their visa status here in Korea as well as not being accountable to the Korean authorities (like paying taxes).

Any and all help is appreciated.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It's probably illegal, but it also seems unlikely that anyone will actually care.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Bugblatter posted:

You're kidding me. A day didn't go by at my elementary school where someone didn't make someone else bleed. poo poo, kids from my school and Let Us English's school had a rumble- kids brought baseball bats to it!

gingersmurf posted:

I'm becoming increasingly irritated with what I perceive as military spouses doing illegal activities. Maybe I am off base, I don't know. But I am having a difficult time finding the answers on the internet so I am asking you fine folks for information / input.

The issue is spouses doing home-based businesses, such as hair cutting, baking, making and selling goods, things like that. The Legal Office on base has apparently told individuals that if they don't live on base, they don't need base permission to do such things. The spouses seem to take that as an okay to go ahead and make some money. However, we (military dependents) are here on an A-3 visa. To the best of my knowledge, we can not make money on the economy here. In order to do so, one would need a different visa, correct?

What is the legal information I can present to these people? At the very least, it seems to me that they are abusing their visa status here in Korea as well as not being accountable to the Korean authorities (like paying taxes).

...why are you against this?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

gingersmurf posted:

Just call immigration on them.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Immigration likely won't give that much of a gently caress for military dependents (unless its something worth getting out of the office for like drugs or something)

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

bringmyfishback posted:

You're kidding me. A day didn't go by at my elementary school where someone didn't make someone else bleed. poo poo, kids from my school and Let Us English's school had a rumble- kids brought baseball bats to it!

Yeah, I've said this before, but the stories from you, Let Us English, and Fromage have told just make want to say gently caress Ulsan forever. The poo poo I hear from there is all nightmarish and doesn't correspond to my experience or the experience of any of my friends around Daegu at all.

Like, interschool rumbles are just beyond my imagination for Korea. The gently caress?

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

I never really saw or heard much about violence in schools, except a few second hand stories. I did hear tons and tons of stories about discrimination for all kinds of things, not just race. And see them for myself.

edit- one of the second-hand stories I posted here years back: a bunch of middle schoolers beating up a single big high schooler. can't remember why except that they were insulted somehow? Anyway, they killed him and it was swept under the rug in lots of ways and the kids were barely punished.

I've got quite a few hosed up stories about people getting killed and subsequent cover-ups....the idea that Korea's somehow super special on the front of violence is sadly hilarious to me. But if I didn't know my wife, I wouldn't know about 90% of them.

Had some girl move to my old town a few years ago and she was amazed with how safe it was within her first two weeks. I wish it were. I told her a few of said stories and she never talked to me again, lol. She was a HUGE K pop and K drama fan (which is why she was there) and annoyed me...probably why I told her the stories.

TreFitty fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 12, 2016

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

gingersmurf posted:

You're right, but hey, at least they aren't whoring out to norebangs at night like my ex was!

Check out http://8tharmy.korea.army.mil/sja/assets/doc/visa/Korean_Employment_Permits_for_Dependents_with_SOFA%20Status.pdf it looks a little old, and doesn't explain repricussions, but whatever. You could call Osan or Humphreys legal offices if you want to really dig into it.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

gingersmurf posted:

why do you care? At least they are doing something to occupy themselves and help them mind their own business...ahem..

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

ladron posted:

why do you care? At least they are doing something to occupy themselves and help them mind their own business...ahem..

How dare they be upset about people not playing by the rules! What a dick!

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

AmbientParadox posted:

AmbientParadox posted:

gently caress the Rules: Korea Edition

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

TreFitty posted:

Had some girl move to my old town a few years ago and she was amazed with how safe it was within her first two weeks. I wish it were. I told her a few of said stories and she never talked to me again, lol. She was a HUGE K pop and K drama fan (which is why she was there) and annoyed me...probably why I told her the stories.

Korea is all rainbows, magic, and oppa's... Didn't you get the memo?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

AmbientParadox posted:

Yea except not sarcastically

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

AmbientParadox posted:

:) "Hey A, how big is your house?"
:haw: "Uhh, I guess 30 평 ?"
:) "Haha, mine's 50평 Your house is so small, your family must be poor!"
:haw: "50평? My grandmother's house is that big. But she lives in the country side. So you probably also live on a farm."
:) "Shut up!"
:haw: "No, YOU shut up!"

The rich kids are almost always the biggest assholes. The country kids are usually pretty chill.

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, I've said this before, but the stories from you, Let Us English, and Fromage have told just make want to say gently caress Ulsan forever. The poo poo I hear from there is all nightmarish and doesn't correspond to my experience or the experience of any of my friends around Daegu at all.

Like, interschool rumbles are just beyond my imagination for Korea. The gently caress?

Ulsan, so probably rich kids

Bugblatter posted:

Thunderdome?

Well, I literally teach at thunderdome middle school (All boys middle). Hourly fights are normal with kids breaking limbs of their opponents on occasion. Have had kids knock teeth out in my own class. I'm usually faster to intervene than my coteachers, because they are really poor at recognizing a fight brewing.

If you're a weak kid in class, look out, you will be teased, have everything you own stolen (including your bike), and get sucker punched (This goes for teachers too. If I appear unwell in any way, the students will basically challenge me to battle). The worst was when one kid pushed another down the stairs and he laid there having a seizure. He was hospitalized for a couple weeks. We also stopped all school trips to theme parks or anything where the students would interact with other middle schools, because they would keep getting into fights. Hell, the kids go to other middle schools to rumble.

You know those animes where the boys at the thug high school just fight all day, and then join forces to fight other schools. That's pretty much my school. Though, they are fighting significantly less this year.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Maxsmart posted:

The worst was when one kid pushed another down the stairs and he laid there having a seizure. He was hospitalized for a couple weeks.

This happened at my school as well except it was two 5th grade girls.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Maxsmart posted:

Ulsan, so probably rich kids

bringmyfishback taught at a rich school, but Let Us English was at a poor one and mine was one of the poorest in the city. Some of my students were literally homeless.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
No one comes to Korea anymore. :(

Why did it stop being cool for Goons to move here?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The only reason people went to Korea is because it was cheap. Now they flock to China or Japan.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Jeoh posted:

The only reason people went to Korea is because it was cheap. Now they flock to China or Japan.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I'm hoping to move there this year!

It seems really nice there, I've always enjoyed my visits.

Full disclosure, I'd move in with the gf, so I'm not worried about crazy housing prices.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

AmbientParadox posted:

No one comes to Korea anymore. :(

Why did it stop being cool for Goons to move here?

I'm guessing rising inflation, declining pay, and increasing smug assholes

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

I got out of the English teaching biz right as I heard of downsizing in numbers of teachers (public schools), decreasing pay (they took the top pay level away, which was a jump of .2 Million Won per month), less vacation (in Gangwon it was about a month or more per year, now about 2 weeks at most), and increase in number of classes and schools you have to teach at. Then there's the rapid increase in prices like the rest of the world as well. Of course, it hasn't worked out as bad as all of this as I said it, but you can't honestly say it has ticked upwards, either.

I'd still do it as a gap year, tho, because why the gently caress not? My first year in Korea and traveling around Asia was one of the best parts of my life.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, lots of younger people still come here for gap years, but fewer for the jobs themselves, and since SA is a forum with an older (for the internet) population...

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
A lot of people came here to save money for student loans or whatever but now the exchange rate is poo poo so that doesn't work so well.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

And the cost of living's gone up so much. I know Seoul is cheaper but Ulsan was Tokyo prices when I left, with nowhere close to Tokyo pay.

The flood of Koreaboos has really helped employers drive down pay and benefits and increase the work hours, too. There's always some kpop idiot waiting to take the job if you want more than the minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

And the cost of living's gone up so much. I know Seoul is cheaper but Ulsan was Tokyo prices when I left, with nowhere close to Tokyo pay.

The flood of Koreaboos has really helped employers drive down pay and benefits and increase the work hours, too. There's always some kpop idiot waiting to take the job if you want more than the minimum.

I mean... I really don't meet than many kpop fans among the incoming teachers.