Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

I'm going to do a bit of color-matching and guess-work here because I don't recall the exact colors I used here, but from what I remember:

RMS Leather Brown, followed by successive layers of watered-down colors: RMS Intense Brown, RMS Earth Brown, RMS Dark Highlight, RMS Blackened Brown. These colors were thinned to an almost waterpaint consistency on a wet pallet and applied like a glaze, pulling downwards so that the colors ended up in the darker recesses. I then followed up with a highlight of Intense Brown to bring the color back up, and finally Leather Brown for the highest points.

A lot of this I learned when I read this article on doing metallics, and I've been applying similar techniques for a while now, to some good results. For the most part I used the same style across the whole model, with the exception of the gold which got a normal wash and then a progressive series of highlights.

I just wish the photo was better. It was a lovely day outside and I simply couldn't find a good spot out there to take a photo :sigh:

That link is really interesting reading. Thank you for sharing it along with your recipes. Really helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I need recommendations for two things:

I want to paint the lines on a Necron Scythe to look like they are glowing. I can't find any good glowy lines tutorials or airbrush OSL type tutorials.

I want to take better mini photos. Any good tutorials to do with that would also been awesome if you guys have any.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM posted:

Finished up my Contemptor from Betrayal at Calth! It's a breeze to assemble; kind of curious why they didn't make a proper mutlipart kit out of it with more options. Oh well!

Looking good! I like the darker blue you're using for the HH stuff, nice contrast with the bright 2nd ed guys.

Re the kit, probably not a proper multipart kit so they don't step on FW's toes and can continue selling the much more expensive resin ones. Either that or they're gonna do a sprue with more options later as an add on.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

Finished up my Contemptor from Betrayal at Calth! It's a breeze to assemble; kind of curious why they didn't make a proper mutlipart kit out of it with more options. Oh well!

And a Word Bearers helmet, on the ground where they belong:

:krad:

As a suggestion: how about some heat stains on the barrels? It'd make them look like he works for a living, rather than walking around being pretty. Some soot stains on the exhaust pipes on the back would also be a nice touch, too.

JackMack posted:

That link is really interesting reading. Thank you for sharing it along with your recipes. Really helpful.

I can honestly say that tutorial has opened up a whole new world of painting for me, and has helped step my game up immensely. A while back I used it word-for-word on an Inquisitor to good results.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Slimnoid posted:

:krad:

As a suggestion: how about some heat stains on the barrels?

Look closer lol, I think he already did.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
What a brilliant model. I am inspired to try this now ( I hate painting metals usually, I had actually recently started painting things grey and then highlighting the uppermost stuff with silver painting as a way of avoiding having to use it!)

That inquisitor is brill. It is a nice example of how the technique can differentiate metals - previously it alsways struck me that the metal of armour is the same as the gunmetal is the same as electronics (when I do it). This method lets you vary it very easily. (specifically in your model above the bolt pistol is notably different from his armour). Neato.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Thanks! I was lucky enough to get the starter back in the day when NM was actually a thing. The remainder I was able to get through trades and a few (probably overpriced) Ebay purchases (looking at you, plasma Heavy...)

I'm sorry. I am singlehandedly responsible for necromunda prices on ebay being insane. I bought everything I could find on there a decade ago, prices spiked... and never came down.

On the plus side, I can run my own gang war with nearly 300 necromunda minis.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Ah, so he did! Whoops.

JackMack posted:

What a brilliant model. I am inspired to try this now ( I hate painting metals usually, I had actually recently started painting things grey and then highlighting the uppermost stuff with silver painting as a way of avoiding having to use it!)

That inquisitor is brill. It is a nice example of how the technique can differentiate metals - previously it alsways struck me that the metal of armour is the same as the gunmetal is the same as electronics (when I do it). This method lets you vary it very easily. (specifically in your model above the bolt pistol is notably different from his armour). Neato.

The trick with metals is that it can be as simple or as complicated as you want. Giving it a black wash and a quick drybrush of silver does it quick and easy and works, or you can go NMM, or even true metal metallics. It all depends on how much effort you feel like putting into it. Even just adding purple or blue washes here and there does wonders with giving it more life and requires only a tiny bit more effort.

Experiment! Find some junk pieces you don't care about and just go hog wild.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Yeah, I need a third light for photography because some of the shots are still coming out kind of dark and it's easy to miss that bit. I actually used the exact same tutorial Slimnoid linked :v:

Zark the Damned posted:

Looking good! I like the darker blue you're using for the HH stuff, nice contrast with the bright 2nd ed guys.

Re the kit, probably not a proper multipart kit so they don't step on FW's toes and can continue selling the much more expensive resin ones. Either that or they're gonna do a sprue with more options later as an add on.
Thank you! I'm guessing it isn't to step on FW's toes too much, but on the other hand they made Mk IV Marines obsolete with the Calth plastics, so I'm curious that's where they drew the line. The arms are compatible with the Forgeworld ones though, which is cool.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lethemonster posted:

I need recommendations for two things:

I want to paint the lines on a Necron Scythe to look like they are glowing. I can't find any good glowy lines tutorials or airbrush OSL type tutorials.
What kind of tutorial are you looking for? I haven't done this myself but you can use the same colors you'd use for brush edge highlighting but use a fine detail airbrush (0.2mm size or so): first put the darkest shade of your OSL color down on the line in a wide line (about 1cm or so), then use a lighter shade to do a thinner line, then a lighter shade in an even thinner line, finish with the lightest color with edge highlighting with a normal brush. So the same basic method as brush edge highlighting but with the airbrush. Takes a steady hand!

quote:

I want to take better mini photos. Any good tutorials to do with that would also been awesome if you guys have any.
There's a ton of photo stuff that's been added recently to the OP.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

FireSight posted:

I'm sorry. I am singlehandedly responsible for necromunda prices on ebay being insane. I bought everything I could find on there a decade ago, prices spiked... and never came down.

On the plus side, I can run my own gang war with nearly 300 necromunda minis.

You are a monster.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

You are a monster.

I have a problem. :cripes:

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Hey guys,
Working on some sweet ninja gremlins for my oath, and was just looking for some advice on how I can get better as a painter!

Highlighting has always been notoriously difficult for me. I'm never sure where exactly to put them? Here's some pictures of where I'm at today:

I honestly don't feel like they're coming along too badly, I just have trouble knowing exactly where to highlight. They have many wonderful cloth folds, so those seems more or less obvious, but any tips for where else I can hit, or how to figure out which parts of the arms/hands to hit? Thanks for looking!

Edit: Yikes! I'm also realizing these pictures are huge... I'll try to figure out how to shrink them!

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

That sculpt rules

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

TheFinalTuba posted:

Hey guys,
Working on some sweet ninja gremlins for my oath, and was just looking for some advice on how I can get better as a painter!

Highlighting has always been notoriously difficult for me. I'm never sure where exactly to put them? Here's some pictures of where I'm at today:

I honestly don't feel like they're coming along too badly, I just have trouble knowing exactly where to highlight. They have many wonderful cloth folds, so those seems more or less obvious, but any tips for where else I can hit, or how to figure out which parts of the arms/hands to hit? Thanks for looking!

Edit: Yikes! I'm also realizing these pictures are huge... I'll try to figure out how to shrink them!

For highlighting this is what I do. I put the model underneath a lamp, positioning the lamp where the "Sun" is. Then anything that stands out I highlight.

Also that model looks real good!

Edit: Look at your photos and where the light "reflects" off of the model is where you want to highlight, just a little.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Ok guys, this is my 4th or 5th real attempt at painting a mini since I picked the hobby back up a year or so ago. Please give me some feedback on what I did wrong here and what I can improve on. Thanks!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Advice request. Have I overdone the weathering here? It's an oil based rust. I smeared some on accident. I know the wash in the cracks is a bit messy, but intend to clean it up. It was a slap dash job because I was thinking of this guy as a test mini.

This is my first time airbrushing. The whites and blues and highlights are airbrushed. This is also my first time weathering something.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
At first glance, that looks like a robot that was in a scrap yard and got fixed up. Whether that's a good thing or not probably depends on what you're going for.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Avenging Dentist posted:

At first glance, that looks like a robot that was in a scrap yard and got fixed up. Whether that's a good thing or not probably depends on what you're going for.

Well, that's pretty good. It's a robot that's been at war for a couple hundred years without much material support, fighting for a group of psychos that don't care much for fresh coats of paint.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I was going to suggest that, since it's in World Eaters colors, it should probably be awash with blood if you want to hide some of the rust!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just sponge a small bit of the base colour back over the smeared bits, it'll look fine

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Unzip and Attack posted:

Ok guys, this is my 4th or 5th real attempt at painting a mini since I picked the hobby back up a year or so ago. Please give me some feedback on what I did wrong here and what I can improve on. Thanks!

I'd say it doesn't look bad, but It's hard to see anything. Put a lamp in front of it, a piece of paper behind it and take another photo so we can see what's going on.
Is the gloopiness at the bottom of the axehead a casting error? You should thin you metals more if it isn't.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Just unpacked my Scale 75 gold color set and found this undocumented color.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

DeadGame posted:

Advice request. Have I overdone the weathering here? It's an oil based rust. I smeared some on accident. I know the wash in the cracks is a bit messy, but intend to clean it up. It was a slap dash job because I was thinking of this guy as a test mini.

This is my first time airbrushing. The whites and blues and highlights are airbrushed. This is also my first time weathering something.

I think your dread is good - I know some people don't like the "XTREME RUST!!!" look, but it's fine as long as you carry it through the army. My criticism is that I don't see much (if any) rusting on the shoulders or on the feet. He's spent years trudging through battlefield debris, and his feet look nearly factory fresh. Also, you may want to add some paint chips to show undercoat - not every ding is going to chip through to the ceramite/metal surface.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Electric Hobo posted:

Just unpacked my Scale 75 gold color set and found this undocumented color.

That's going to be the spanish label for it.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

spectralent posted:

That's going to be the spanish label for it.

Nope!

They call it Necro Gold everywhere except on the label.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Electric Hobo posted:

Nope!

They call it Necro Gold everywhere except on the label.

I like reading that as "necrotic gold" :hb:

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

First thing I've finished painting in a year :3

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lethemonster posted:

god drat! That blending is magnificent!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Electric Hobo posted:

I'd say it doesn't look bad, but It's hard to see anything. Put a lamp in front of it, a piece of paper behind it and take another photo so we can see what's going on.
Is the gloopiness at the bottom of the axehead a casting error? You should thin you metals more if it isn't.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll get a better pic up. The gloppiness was indeed my fault - I ended up scraping that portion off with a hobby knife and redoing it.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Lethemonster posted:

:allears: I'm so glad you're back, Lethe. Your screamers from a couple years back were what finally prompted me to buy an airbrush. Do you plan on popping into the Oath Thread at all?

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Dr. Gargunza posted:

:allears: I'm so glad you're back, Lethe. Your screamers from a couple years back were what finally prompted me to buy an airbrush. Do you plan on popping into the Oath Thread at all?

I am - I have a terrible old pewter dragon model to oath and everything. Im in the process of repotting all my old citadel paints into dropper bottles and putting ball bearings in everything so I dont have to shake them for hours. Finally had to admit my ice blue and scaly green are too dried up to use.

I have been asked to paint a bunch of the Dark Sword anthropomorphic minis next which Im so looking forward to. Hedgehoglings, turtle clerics and snail cartographers ahoy.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Lethemonster posted:

...snail cartographers...
I am intrigued and demand pictures.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
Someone asked for a miniature photography tutorial, I'm gonna write one this weekend. It's all about cheap and effective, my entire setup is around 35 bucks. (And I'll share where you can cut that price further if needed.)

It's basically all about lighting at this point. I assume anyone that's taking pictures nowadays is using a phone, but I could be wrong. I do have enough info to cover digital cameras however, is that something people would want in the tutorial or is just focusing on lighting and placement enough?

I'm also still going to write a speed paint tutorial, but I'm behind the eight ball on my oath so that may happen next month. (Stupid assembly time!)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I think Lethemonster posted a link to those models a while ago. They are truly the most adorable little sculpts. I want to have some just to paint and proxy in my grimdark army as something silly.

The cat emperor and snail cartographer are by far my faves.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Ilor posted:

I am intrigued and demand pictures.

Here ya go. Great little company, I ordered some figures from them and they sent me a bonus ranger.

Also cat emperor is a fantastic mini, I've painted one as a gift to friends, and a second one needs finishing on my desk.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Along with that I'm going to be painting these guys and maybe a few more if I can make up my mind. I'm so excited to be painting something that isn't grim dark war machinery or heavily amoured monsters and so on. Jessica Riche and Marike Reimer are my favourite painters too, I can't wait to do ham handed versions of their paint jobs.

I nearly bought one of the red panda models as well but then I looked a bit closer and realized they had given it... cleavage.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 13, 2016

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Before I say anything I want to be clear, I like these little guys a lot.
With that said, I want a human soldier with a mace with a small man as the top bit. And a ribcage shield.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Those look neat, but why is the turtle-man using a smaller turtle as a blunt force object?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

krushgroove posted:

Those look neat, but why is the turtle-man using a smaller turtle as a blunt force object?

Maybe it's like a wine from the skull of your enemy thing?