Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
This is in Exalted as well, you should be backflipping into platemail or having your 300 naked servants put it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's probably a charm that lets you do that, but honestly anything short of a giant warstrider robot should be a single action to put on for an Exalt.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The game's inspired enough by corny Asian media that changing clothes should be a long sequence that's impossible to interrupt.

Here's a minor one from Apocalypse World. There's an ability that the Savvyhead, the mildy crazy mechanic class can take that lets them turn up at an opportune moment with tools appropriate for the job, with the proper tools and knowledge. It's pretty cool, helps other players out and gives a good entrance to the scene. However, there's a bit of multiclassing in the game. In particular, there's the Brainer, who is described as a "wierd pyscho mindfuck" and is essentially a psychic torture monster. If you grab this move, you can basically act as a horror movie monster, or whenever another player is in a tense situation, you can appear right behind them with a bag of manacles and scalpels.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
That owns though :confused:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That sounds less like a "murphy" and more a "System working as intended" to me, yeah. :confused:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Sounds like an Igor.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Anticheese posted:

Sounds like an Igor.

Yeth?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeth what?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Anticheese posted:

Sounds like an Igor.

Turning the igor power into the Antichrist move seems murphish to me, I agree it's awesome though.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

chaos rhames posted:

The game's inspired enough by corny Asian media that changing clothes should be a long sequence that's impossible to interrupt.

Here's a minor one from Apocalypse World. There's an ability that the Savvyhead, the mildy crazy mechanic class can take that lets them turn up at an opportune moment with tools appropriate for the job, with the proper tools and knowledge. It's pretty cool, helps other players out and gives a good entrance to the scene. However, there's a bit of multiclassing in the game. In particular, there's the Brainer, who is described as a "wierd pyscho mindfuck" and is essentially a psychic torture monster. If you grab this move, you can basically act as a horror movie monster, or whenever another player is in a tense situation, you can appear right behind them with a bag of manacles and scalpels.

Another ApocWorld playbook, the Faceless, fills the Horror Movie Slasher role exactly.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The topic of Variant Multiclassing in Pathfinder was brought up in another thread. Variant Multiclassing is a feature by which you "multiclass" by giving up your feats in order to gain class features from other classes.

That is, if you Variant Multiclass into a Bard, instead of gaining a feat at level 3, you instead gain the Bardic Knowledge class feature. Instead of gaining a feat at level 7, you instead gain the Bardic Performance class feature, and so on.

The oddity comes when you try to multiclass into a Gunslinger.

At level 7, you gain the Gunsmith class feature, which gives you a gun, and the Gunsmithing feat. I'm assuming you've been playing for a while now by the time you get to level 7, to the tune of you already owning a gun, so all you're really gaining is a feat.

It gets better. At level 11, you gain ... the Amateur Gunslinger feat, explicitly.

It is, to say the least, weird that this rule that is intended to replace your feats with class features just ends up giving you feats anyway.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

The topic of Variant Multiclassing in Pathfinder was brought up in another thread. Variant Multiclassing is a feature by which you "multiclass" by giving up your feats in order to gain class features from other classes.

That is, if you Variant Multiclass into a Bard, instead of gaining a feat at level 3, you instead gain the Bardic Knowledge class feature. Instead of gaining a feat at level 7, you instead gain the Bardic Performance class feature, and so on.

The oddity comes when you try to multiclass into a Gunslinger.

At level 7, you gain the Gunsmith class feature, which gives you a gun, and the Gunsmithing feat. I'm assuming you've been playing for a while now by the time you get to level 7, to the tune of you already owning a gun, so all you're really gaining is a feat.

It gets better. At level 11, you gain ... the Amateur Gunslinger feat, explicitly.

It is, to say the least, weird that this rule that is intended to replace your feats with class features just ends up giving you feats anyway.
Is the gun just a gun or a level appropriate gun? Picking up a level 7 appropriate magic weapon of your choice is nothing to sneeze at.

I'm assuming it's a lovely mundane flintlock though.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

It's a lovely gun that you can't even sell for much because it's broken in the hands of anyone but you.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
It gets dumber and weirder.

See, one of the features of the gunsmith feat is that a gunslinger can upgrade their default battered starting weapon (Which can only be sold for scrap for 4d10 gold) by spending a day and the 300 GP for masterwork, making it a normal masterwork version of its type. Restoring the finish, etc. No dice rolls required.

Assuming you selected a battered musket as your starting weapon, this means that by spending 300 GP, you now have a masterwork musket that you can sell for over 3 times that: 1150 GP. (Half the market price) Congrats, you just made 850 gold out of thin air for a day's labor, no dice rolls required. An assembly line of 1st level gunslingers with some seed money and a buyer is a hell of a profit-making machine. (NPCs, of course, make even more money, since they're assumed to sell stuff at market price.)

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014
So, a discovery while reading through the Dark Sun 4E Creature Catalog: Many templars don't know the basics of their own sorcerer-king's religion.

See, the Creature Catalog specs out city-state basic background as "Lore" content tied to the sorcerer-king's own writeup. Which has a DC tied to the sorcerer-king's own monster level, or DCs in the 29-33 range. "Citizens of [the city in question]" generally receive a +10 bonus to these skill checks, but we're still talking about a situation where 1 in 5 Draj templars don't realize their boss is a tyrannical theocrat. (And that's with Int 18 and Religion as a trained skill!)

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013

Bacon In A Wok posted:

Many templars don't know the basics of their own sorcerer-king's religion.

This is a world where some people fail to realize that Cave Bears live in caves, of course.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pretty sure having 1 in 5 of your Templars having no idea what their boss actually does is a feature not a bug.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, the End-Game of the sorcerer kings is to "Become a dragon and consume all life", leaving that as a mystery to the lower downs seems to be working as designed.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Lay on Hands posted:

This is a world where some people fail to realize that Cave Klars live in caves, of course.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Bacon In A Wok posted:

So, a discovery while reading through the Dark Sun 4E Creature Catalog: Many templars don't know the basics of their own sorcerer-king's religion.

See, the Creature Catalog specs out city-state basic background as "Lore" content tied to the sorcerer-king's own writeup. Which has a DC tied to the sorcerer-king's own monster level, or DCs in the 29-33 range. "Citizens of [the city in question]" generally receive a +10 bonus to these skill checks, but we're still talking about a situation where 1 in 5 Draj templars don't realize their boss is a tyrannical theocrat. (And that's with Int 18 and Religion as a trained skill!)

in many of the city states, the Templars are the men and women who were most willing to be the biggest backstabbing, two faced, snitchy cunts, so it's not really surprising that they're willing to take power without questioning where it comes from. likewise the sorcerer kings are constantly paranoid that any of their followers will eventually amass enough power to depose them, so they likely select for Templars who exhibit blind adherence to authority anyway.

to me, the murphy is that 80% of Draj's Templars (a sorcerer king renowned for being paranoid and power-hungry and petty) are apparently well aware of his overall schemes and plans. you think he'd purge them more frequently than that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"Dude, he's gonna devour the world!"

"Yeah, I know. But where else are you gonna get a 401K this good?."

"...true."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
In Wfrp3e, critical wounds are penalties applied by being critically hit or by losing all your hp. Initially they were things like "Head wound: take one misfortune die in intelligence tests" and the like. Each has a severity which dictates how hard they are to recover from, among other effects.

A later expansion introduced limb removal. If you draw a severed limb wound it has little or no initial effect, unless the sum of your critical wounds' severities exceeds the cards threshold at which point the limb has been irreparably damaged. They are also quite difficult to remove before this happens.

It's entirely possible to accumulate multiple of these cards without passing their individual thresholds, only to have a relatively minor tap to the chest suddenly cause all your limbs to violently detach from your body.

I call it crash test dummy syndrome.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Splicer posted:

It's entirely possible to accumulate multiple of these cards without passing their individual thresholds, only to have a relatively minor tap to the chest suddenly cause all your limbs to violently detach from your body.

gently caress YEAH :black101:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Splicer posted:

File footage:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

megane posted:

File footage:

Apropos of nothing else: This was the dumbest thing to 7 year old me. "Yes I've made them stronger but I've also given them instant kill buttons that even those bumbling side characters can use."

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Kurieg posted:

Apropos of nothing else: This was the dumbest thing to 7 year old me. "Yes I've made them stronger but I've also given them instant kill buttons that even those bumbling side characters can use."

It's not even that, but the fact that about 5 or so minutes of each episode (sometimes longer, if they needed to fill time) was dancing around fighting seriously before remembering "oh yeah, the glaring one-shot weakspot is still there!"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The first putties could only be beaten by knocking them onto each other. I always thought it'd be way more effective if they'd send one putty, because then even if you overpowered it, you'd still have to tie him up and store him at HQ. That's a serious distraction while you attack some other city that isn't guarded by power rangers.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The first putties could only be beaten by knocking them onto each other. I always thought it'd be way more effective if they'd send one putty, because then even if you overpowered it, you'd still have to tie him up and store him at HQ. That's a serious distraction while you attack some other city that isn't guarded by power rangers.

I don't remember the first putties ever being beaten, period? I thought they just fought for a while and then ... left.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

VR Troopers did this with the skugs, too. Then again, a friend and I watched some of it and they couldn't get into a bookmobile after hitting it with axes for 45 minutes, so maybe you do need more skugs to solve problems than putties.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

kafziel posted:

I don't remember the first putties ever being beaten, period? I thought they just fought for a while and then ... left.

Dammit, I watched a few of the first episodes and you're right. I guess they're still out there wandering in the wilderness. At some point they got killed by being thrown into each other.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

unseenlibrarian posted:

It gets dumber and weirder.

See, one of the features of the gunsmith feat is that a gunslinger can upgrade their default battered starting weapon (Which can only be sold for scrap for 4d10 gold) by spending a day and the 300 GP for masterwork, making it a normal masterwork version of its type. Restoring the finish, etc. No dice rolls required.

Assuming you selected a battered musket as your starting weapon, this means that by spending 300 GP, you now have a masterwork musket that you can sell for over 3 times that: 1150 GP. (Half the market price) Congrats, you just made 850 gold out of thin air for a day's labor, no dice rolls required. An assembly line of 1st level gunslingers with some seed money and a buyer is a hell of a profit-making machine. (NPCs, of course, make even more money, since they're assumed to sell stuff at market price.)

I mean I don't know what a gunsmith can expect to make for a day's labor in Pathfinderland, so the specific numbers might be a Murphy, but the general concept sounds pretty reasonable to me. Did you really think the cost of the stuff you buy in your day-to-day life was just the materials cost plus an arbitrary percentage for profit? I'd love to live in your world where the basic mechanics of capitalism are some kind of grand scam (although, not to get political, a number of employers seem to agree with you these days).

That said, it also does raise some concerns. Are you tipping your waitstaff? You should be tipping your waitstaff.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Dr. Buttass posted:

I mean I don't know what a gunsmith can expect to make for a day's labor in Pathfinderland, so the specific numbers might be a Murphy, but the general concept sounds pretty reasonable to me. Did you really think the cost of the stuff you buy in your day-to-day life was just the materials cost plus an arbitrary percentage for profit? I'd love to live in your world where the basic mechanics of capitalism are some kind of grand scam (although, not to get political, a number of employers seem to agree with you these days).

That said, it also does raise some concerns. Are you tipping your waitstaff? You should be tipping your waitstaff.

The setting assumption is that 1 days unskilled labor is 0.1 GP, skilled labor is 0.3 SP, so the specific murphy is you get seven and a half years wages for 1 days work.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Yeah but it sounds like you can only ever do that once.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

"You can easily get seven years wages in a single day" is still a weird rule even if you append ", once only".

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

In D&D/Pathfinder getting 7 year's wages from a single day's work is kind of par for the course.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
F'r a buncha math nerds the people who design tabletop systems aren't very good at economics.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dr. Buttass posted:

F'r a buncha math nerds the people who design tabletop systems aren't very good at economics.
There's a reason why the Iron Rule Of Grognards.Txt ("nerds + economics = hilarity, every time") came into existence.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

FMguru posted:

There's a reason why the Iron Rule Of Grognards.Txt ("nerds + economics = hilarity, every time") came into existence.

Is there a grognards.txt thread these days? I looked a few days ago and didn't see one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Besesoth posted:

Is there a grognards.txt thread these days? I looked a few days ago and didn't see one.

We don't have one. It's not a nice thing for the overall tone and disposition of the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FMguru posted:

Let me tell you about BitCoins.

gradenko_2000 posted:

We don't have one. It's not a nice thing for the overall tone and disposition of the forums.
Also the well had pretty much run dry, the last iteration was just "Some guy said 4E is bad for dumb reasons! What a dummy!" "A dummy indeed!" "Someone said 5E is good for dumb reasons!" "Ohoho, a dummy squared!" for pages and pages.
See also

Splicer posted:

Let me tell you about BitCoins.