Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol

they'll make 90% of what manly open players make. open players who totally won't abuse instancing (or the oft-overlooked ignore function) to achieve the same effect.

you need to get over the fact that solo and group players exist and don't want to be part of your John Lockean murder hobo simulator. who cares what they do or don't do?

let_it_go.gif

BUT THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE HAVING FUN IN SUCH A WAY THAT I CAN'T RUIN IT!

Seriously, if you are such broken-rear end manchild that the only way you can have a good time is knowing that everyone is forced to deal with you making GBS threads on them, you need to grow the gently caress up. Some of us don't want to deal with other players all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I'm not saying deny single/group players anything. Leave them exactly as they are, but throw on a 10% bonus to whatever for Open Players, as an incentive to play in open. How exactly is that diminishing the experience of single/group players?
This is disingenuous as all gently caress - how would it incentivise open play unless it diminished the experience of solo & group players? :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Akion posted:

BUT THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE HAVING FUN IN SUCH A WAY THAT I CAN'T RUIN IT!

Seriously, if you are such broken-rear end manchild that the only way you can have a good time is knowing that everyone is forced to deal with you making GBS threads on them, you need to grow the gently caress up. Some of us don't want to deal with other players all the time.

Yes, that's totally the only possible reason. It's totally not the fact that people want to play Risk, but with spaceships, and can't because someone invisible keeps destroying all their poo poo.

I mean, I get why this wouldn't work with elite even without solo play, since the instancing system allows you to easily play solo in open too, but let's cut the hyperbole a bit shall we?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Truga posted:

Yes, that's totally the only possible reason. It's totally not the fact that people want to play Risk, but with spaceships, and can't because someone invisible keeps destroying all their poo poo.

I mean, I get why this wouldn't work with elite even without solo play, since the instancing system allows you to easily play solo in open too, but let's cut the hyperbole a bit shall we?

you first

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
BUT THERE ARE INVISIBLE PEOPLE OUT THERE KICKING DOWN MY SAND CASTLES

like that?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Truga posted:

There's been a few instances lately of Xbox players stomping all over PC players' systems. Invisible people are always going to be a problem, solo or no solo.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Is there any sort of Goon presence on the XBox version yet? And if so where abouts?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Only mad people would suggest that absolutely everything should have a bonus in open. Just Powerplay and faction influence. You know, the stuff that's about working with or against other people. Hell even have Powerplay rewards remain the same, just have solo/PG players count less towards results.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Why do you want to change how other people play the game?

If you do want more people in open you can do that now. Just be in open and help people out and have fun. Post about it where people will read about how much fun you are having in open and maybe they will want to join you in open so they too can have fun.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

"Yeah but goons ruin everything"
:goonsay: :circlefap:

Frontier can incentivize open play by adding actual no poo poo social features, revamping security, and making it less of a hit to lose your ship if you don't have a ton of cash.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
So I just got into a viper mk3 and I'm terrible at finding fits, can anyone help?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Frontier can incentivize open play by adding actual no poo poo social features
Not empty quoting.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TomR posted:

Why do you want to change how other people play the game?

If you do want more people in open you can do that now. Just be in open and help people out and have fun. Post about it where people will read about how much fun you are having in open and maybe they will want to join you in open so they too can have fun.

It's the Devs pushing the idea out there to be digested to be honest. It would seem that with The Rise to Power contest on the horizon that they would like to see more player interaction and involvement when it comes to the effort to boost the first player faction ever up to power status. That's where the idea to incentivize power play and only power play is coming from, IMO.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

This RNG in crafting is... a thing. 40 rerolls to get an affix that matches another weapon.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

This RNG in crafting is... a thing. 40 rerolls to get an affix that matches another weapon.

Cost per reroll? Credits or mats?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

LCL-Dead posted:

Cost per reroll? Credits or mats?

In the beta it costs 1 fish, on live it'll have a bunch of different commodities

timn
Mar 16, 2010
What if they split out the special effects as a separate type of upgrade which:

- Are guaranteed to suceed
- Require a moderate-high rep tier depending on what effect it is
- Are costlier than the upgrades which change your stats
- Stack with the upgrades which change your stats

So that way you can keep the randomization for stat-based stuff, but you aren't getting hosed on effects which fundamentally change playstyle.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Add an option to pay $25 for a super roll with a 90% chance of the traits you want and a 10% chance of permanently breaking the component, and it'll mirror Korean MMOs.

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop
I actually wouldnt mind some mild p2w content in ED and most games. Most adults are short on free time and the desire to grind, but have plenty of disposable income. Granted, it's lovely to do it in games that aren't f2p. I guess the expansion which gives access to the enhanced modules is kind of p2w but still will require ungodly amounts of grinding.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Fishreds99 posted:

I actually wouldnt mind some mild p2w content in ED and most games. Most adults are short on free time and the desire to grind, but have plenty of disposable income. Granted, it's lovely to do it in games that aren't f2p. I guess the expansion which gives access to the enhanced modules is kind of p2w but still will require ungodly amounts of grinding.

The solution to that is for developers to recognize that their "core audience" isn't necessarily a bunch of teenagers with infinite free time anymore, and design their games accordingly. Mass Effect 3 is one of the worst offenders, as unlocking all of the guns, upgrades and cosmetics for its co-op mode takes hundreds of hours, if not upward of 1000 (my brother has 500 hours in it and hasn't unlocked everything), with an option to pay real money in a full-priced, non-competitive game to buy raffle tickets to maybe unlock new things instantly.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

making it less of a hit to lose your ship if you don't have a ton of cash.
We were talking about this the other day and reversing the insurance system so you get the 95% or whatever back as credits instead of 'respawning with the same ship config but only if you can afford it with your liquid cash reserves and if you don't have enough you're hosed' seems like it'd work but I think it'd need to go hand in hand with some way to rebuy the config of your ship immediately when you respawn for it to work. It'd be an extra step if you die but it means that you'll always get drat near all of the value of your ship back so even if you can't rebuy your exact config you could always then go and fit out something a bit more sensibly priced.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Daztek posted:

In the beta it costs 1 fish, on live it'll have a bunch of different commodities

In the future, I am the universal galactic currency.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Mercurius posted:

We were talking about this the other day and reversing the insurance system so you get the 95% or whatever back as credits instead of 'respawning with the same ship config but only if you can afford it with your liquid cash reserves and if you don't have enough you're hosed' seems like it'd work but I think it'd need to go hand in hand with some way to rebuy the config of your ship immediately when you respawn for it to work. It'd be an extra step if you die but it means that you'll always get drat near all of the value of your ship back so even if you can't rebuy your exact config you could always then go and fit out something a bit more sensibly priced.

I don't really get the sentiment, honestly. One of the very first things I remarked on when I got the game was how generously soft the penalty for dying is. It gets more punitive with the largest ships being exponentially more costly, but that's a problem with endgame ship costs greatly outpacing endgame income.

The insurance system itself is barely a slap on the wrist when income is properly balanced.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

timn posted:

I don't really get the sentiment, honestly. One of the very first things I remarked on when I got the game was how generously soft the penalty for dying is. It gets more punitive with the largest ships being exponentially more costly, but that's a problem with endgame ship costs greatly outpacing endgame income.

The insurance system itself is barely a slap on the wrist when income is properly balanced.
There are numerous stories of both goons here in the thread and pubbies on the forums who buy a new shiny ship and fly it without the insurance rebuy, die and then have to beg Frontier support to take pity on them and give them the ship back because they couldn't afford the liquid cash for the insurance when buying the hull and dying immediately.

I'm not actually suggesting changing the numbers but flipping around the way it gives the money back so that people would respawn with the insurance payout of 95% of the ship cost and then have the option to repurchase their config if they have the cash (pretty much the same as now) or if they don't have the cash for the full config they can just accept the insurance payout and refit with something that's not out of their price range. Honestly you could just add it as a third option to respawn at the last station you docked at with the insurance payout cost instead of rebuying your ship and that would probably be enough.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I spent about an hour flying around Elite Dangerous tonight. Landed on a planet and tried driving around and made myself sick. Driving is fine if you look sideways, but the moment you have up and down movement in front and your body isn't doing the same, you are done. I found that if you move your head up and down with the movement of the vehicle, it counteracted the sickness.

The game is still buggy in VR though. I had all controls stop working, including mouse and keyboard several times, all related to the rover, being in it, or trying to enter it. Not sure what that is all about but that game is super neat to explore in VR. Can't wait till you can walk around your ship and the stations.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Hamelekim posted:

I spent about an hour flying around Elite Dangerous tonight. Landed on a planet and tried driving around and made myself sick. Driving is fine if you look sideways, but the moment you have up and down movement in front and your body isn't doing the same, you are done. I found that if you move your head up and down with the movement of the vehicle, it counteracted the sickness.
There is also an option in the Graphics menu where you can toggle a camera position lock: no matter what the SRV does, the camera will continue to be aligned with the horizon and is designed specifically for VR.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
An awesome neighbor of mine gave me his recently bought Saitek X52 as he replaced it with something nicer, is there a decent profile for it floating around? And is this the saitek stick that is 50/50 good or terrible depending on build quality? Not looking a gift horse in the mouth but it's good to know what to expect I guess.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
x52, x52 pro and x55 are all hit and miss. It's a combination of cheap materials and poor quality control. The wires and stuff inside can break from normal use, or come broken from the factory. If the one you got works then use it, it's fine.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, x52 is a very good stick, providing you got an ok stick. Since your friend probably had it for a while, it'll be fine. They either come broken or break after a week, or they last forever.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
One welcoming patchnote in the beta.

Ignore drones when pirates work out the value of cargo a player has; if players only have drones, pirates will let them go on their way

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Another is that cannons might actually be not complete poo poo now, they all got a massive buff to projectile speed (C4 is up to 750m/s now from I think it was 444m/s) and no longer have damage fall-off. 750m/s puts them at 50 m/s faster than plasma projectiles. Smaller cannons are faster still, C1 is 1000m/s, C2 875m/s, and C3 800m/s.

I look forward to seeing what kind of hilarity I can get up to with that and some engineer modules once I get home.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Make a macro that cycles through all your cannons, so one fires every 0.5s, mounts as many forceful cannons as you can, enjoy your spinning top gallery :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

IAmTheRad posted:

One welcoming patchnote in the beta.

Ignore drones when pirates work out the value of cargo a player has; if players only have drones, pirates will let them go on their way

Do all pirates do this? In my experience, if a pirate pulls me out of supercruise, even a unshielded Sidewinder will go from "Give me your cargo" to "DIE!!!!!!!!" in zero seconds flat if you don't have any cargo.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Just discovered this game had a console release after angsting over my PC not being able to run it.

Is this worth jumping into? Most importantly, is the PvP active and not dead on the XBone?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Libluini posted:

Do all pirates do this? In my experience, if a pirate pulls me out of supercruise, even a unshielded Sidewinder will go from "Give me your cargo" to "DIE!!!!!!!!" in zero seconds flat if you don't have any cargo.
No, those are guys are just psychopathic jerks. This affects the pirates that typically infest nav beacons and RES.

Dishwasher posted:

Is this worth jumping into? Most importantly, is the PvP active and not dead on the XBone?
If PvP is your primary/only focus, this may not be the game for you.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 12, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Libluini posted:

This is just for the wanted npcs that scan you at nav/res sites. If you get pulled out of SC the guy is already wants you dead.

e;fb

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Helter Skelter posted:

If PvP is your primary/only focus, this may not be the game for you.

Fair enough. Do we have a somewhat active presence on Xbox One at least so that I can join goons and fleet up? Sounds like most of us are on PC..

If so, this sounds like an insta-purchase.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 12, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Libluini posted:

When you're pulled out of supercruise, it's most likely a psychopath who wants you dead. This applies to being interdicted by a player as well. The only time it's not a psychopath, it's the space cops but you know when the space cops are going to interdict you.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I don't think we have much, if any presence on Xbox right now. That may become a moot point if they manage to get the builds aligned and enable cross-platform play when Horizons hits for Xbox. Maybe wait a month and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Dishwasher posted:

Fair enough. Do we have a somewhat active presence on Xbox One at least so that I can join goons and fleet up? Sounds like most of us are on PC..

If so, this sounds like an insta-purchase.

You're only like the second or third person I've seen inquire about goons in space on the xbox.

As with all things peasant, there is some toxicity involved, so dress accordingly if you pull the trigger on it.

---

That being said: You fly in the same BGS simulation as us so you can affect our world and vice versa but until the platform servers are merged, you cannot fly with us.

• Locked thread