Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, I have to say that the entire "Ruler gets an action for each of yours" seems pretty drat unfun.

Maybe it'll be like the muton counterattack / melee issue, and it becomes a complete nonevent by virtue of all Ruler attacks doing 1 damage apiece, having atrocious accuracy, and their AI spending most of its time shimmying back and forth in place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

many johnnys posted:

DMX - X COM Give It To 'Ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1d7gbJKtFQ

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

oohhboy posted:

This reminds me of a time where someone seriously swore up and down they never got angry, ever. Unless you're a robot, you will get anxious about some petty thing at some point. It most certainly doesn't fall into two "Feed it" or "Mock it". I would discount mocking immediately as it isn't funny and more edgy thing. If you're going to do it, actually be funny and like a good rule of comedy, punch up not down or mock yourself.

I mean look at this, we are arguing about you being petty about thing that is petty while I am being petty while you're being petty we argue about something petty. That's a drat sad oubrouos. If you want to end this blackhole of dumbness and never speak of it again I am all for it.

what the gently caress are you even talking about

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Coolguye posted:

what the gently caress are you even talking about

I think he's trying to tell us he's autistic.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Ugh, I just wasted a bunch of time save-scumming for an attempt at the Exquisite Timing achievement (beat the game before July 1) only to find out I hadn't realized that the codex brain decryption shadow project requires a minimum number of scientists. I only had two for most of the game.

I managed to get a huge chunk of time taken off the magnetic weapons research as a hack reward too, and I don't have a save that far back.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

VolticSurge posted:

I think he's trying to tell us he's autistic.

But we already know he's a goon?

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012
You know, I might buy this DLC, but then again, I might not.

Anyways, later guys!:smuggo:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Coolguye posted:

yeah jesus christ the loving thing isn't even out yet and already a bunch of nerdlingers are saying OH GOD IT'S SO UNBALANCED IT IS THE WORST PLEASE GOD KILL ME NOW AND SAVE ME FROM SOLOMANS RUINING THE MAGNUM OPUS

how about you regard it with careful suspicion and maybe not pay money for it until real opinions are out

Well they're revealing everything about how some of them work so I think it's completely fair to judge them accordingly even if you don't have raw ripped-from-the-game-files numbers in front of you. And, from what they have revealed, these dudes sound real OP and stupid to me. They put it out there for people to digest and people are gonna digest it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 11, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Coolguye posted:

yeah jesus christ the loving thing isn't even out yet and already a bunch of nerdlingers are saying OH GOD IT'S SO UNBALANCED IT IS THE WORST PLEASE GOD KILL ME NOW AND SAVE ME FROM SOLOMANS RUINING THE MAGNUM OPUS

how about you regard it with careful suspicion and maybe not pay money for it until real opinions are out

How about you chill the gently caress out and let people voice their concerns over what could very well be a bad mechanic?

Coolguye posted:

THREAD RULES:
- Just be a reasonable, level-headed adult.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 11, 2016

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Fister Roboto posted:

How about you chill the gently caress out

Same, but for scrub losers freaking out about unreleased content

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

How about you chill the gently caress out and let people voice their concerns over what could very well be a bad mechanic?

Lt. Danger posted:

Same, but for scrub losers freaking out about unreleased content

e: fister its really funny you get offended b/c i suggested a reasonable, level-headed thing to do in the same post you accused me of freaking out on

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
not gonna lie a lot of this discussion sounds like Muton counterattacks all over again.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm only concerned because like a sucker I bought the fancy edition so I'm getting the DLC whether I like it or not. That said, still waiting and seeing.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Dallan Invictus posted:

not gonna lie a lot of this discussion sounds like Muton counterattacks all over again.

Heh.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Welp, I'm keen to see what the new DLC brings to the table. If I don't like it, what I'll do, right, is disable it.

What I'm more concerned about honestly is if the bug fixes presumably included with the DLC will sort out the stuck under the Avenger bug that has pretty much made the game unplayable for me.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
This whole 'bug fixes only available in the DLC' is a much more worthy thing to get angry about.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Kwyndig posted:

I'm only concerned because like a sucker I bought the fancy edition so I'm getting the DLC whether I like it or not. That said, still waiting and seeing.

Eh, if it's bad a mod will fix it.

I'm only irritated because I started getting the XCOM 2 itch again in the last few days only now's really not the best time to start a new campaign because the DLC might break my save, and it will very much likely break half my mods which might take a week or two to be fixed.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoctorTristan posted:

This whole 'bug fixes only available in the DLC' is a much more worthy thing to get angry about.

It would be such a bone headed move that I am not even sure even EA would do something like that. Mods might not have access as breaking mods and cutting up the community would be a bad idea. If I was Jake I would hold on to the monopoly of the Rulers for the short term because you want that money and you can always open it up later.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

DoctorTristan posted:

It's not that they're included with the DLC (as in pay-only), it's that major patches are released alongside the DLC, which is its own can of worms.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Coolguye posted:

e: fister its really funny you get offended b/c i suggested a reasonable, level-headed thing to do in the same post you accused me of freaking out on

I'm sorry, all I see is people bringing up valid concerns and you acting like an rear end in a top hat to them for no reason. I don't think that's reasonable or level-headed at all!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

DoctorTristan posted:

In general, DLC is basically always downloaded, the only question is whether or not you've paid the bux to unlock it. That's why you can go shell out the dough for DLC in whatever game you're talking about and then immediately go open the game and have it there, without any extra downloads or whatever. The only thing that actually happens is your install gets a registration code or something similarly low-impact.

What I'm getting at is that unless they're gating bug fixes behind that whole rigamarole (which, as other folks said, would be hysterically boneheaded), they will not cost any money.

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm sorry, all I see is people bringing up valid concerns and you acting like an rear end in a top hat to them for no reason. I don't think that's reasonable or level-headed at all!
turn your monitor on

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Dallan Invictus posted:

It's not that they're included with the DLC (as in pay-only), it's that major patches are released alongside the DLC, which is its own can of worms.

Didn't Enemy within include fixes for some LoS bugs in he 2012 game?

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
Is there a mod that allows you to change around the order in which soldiers unlock abilities? I can see that being incredibly easy to cheese, but I kind of just want to be able to throw on Suppression earlier on with my Grenadiers. Actually, on that note, is there a recommended mod list in general, yet?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Finally beat the game. Late to the party, but hey. Lot of fun all around, but the same problem as XCOM:EW, in that the end game is always easier than clawing your way up to even ground. Couple of things, though.

I figure it's okay to talk candidly about base game spoilers at this point, so: is the Commander inhabited by the rogue Elder from XCOM Declassified? Did they make Declassified /canon/? Also, the Broadcast tower mission. Did they introduce a mechanic that seriously only gets used once with intel expenditure? :v: That sucks. I felt like Intel was in general barely useful, so making it a currency for something other than regional outreach was pretty cool. Looking at a mod that puts it into the game now, but it seems pretty buggy.

Pretty stoked for Terror From the Deep / whatever the Elders were really scared of in XCOM 3: Apocalypse.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,as a nub who is about to undertake the endgame for the first time,what's a good squad comp? I've got 3 Superior Scopes/Repeaters waiting for the trio of morons brave soldiers.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
stop being whiny nerds and go kill aliens and alien collaborators

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

So,as a nub who is about to undertake the endgame for the first time,what's a good squad comp? I've got 3 Superior Scopes/Repeaters waiting for the trio of morons brave soldiers.

Take all the Psionics (especially with Domination) that you can field. Long-range heavy weapons (blaster launchers and the like from WAR suits) are also useful but don't use until final room.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Is it possible for more than one of these rulers to show up in a single tactical mission?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

God I hope not.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Huszsersvn posted:

Is it possible for more than one of these rulers to show up in a single tactical mission?

If you haven't killed them before the final mission, they all show up in the undersea base and each gets an action every time one of your soldiers does something.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

How to beat rulers:

1)
Git gud

There is no step two

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rolling required ahead.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Try overwatch trap

e: I am insanely triggered that the topic title is still not "Terrorists from the Deep".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Don't give up, rookie!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
all this being said, muton counterattacks are still bad gameplay imo

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Lunethex posted:

all this being said, muton counterattacks are still bad gameplay imo

The only thing bad about them is that it can lead to one of your dude's being crit down dead with no warning on player phase if you don't know about it. Once they've done it once it's just a fancy version of melee immunity that punishes yo for forgetting.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FoolyCharged posted:

The only thing bad about them is that it can lead to one of your dude's being crit down dead with no warning on player phase if you don't know about it. Once they've done it once it's just a fancy version of melee immunity that punishes yo for forgetting.

I once dominated a muton, forgot that they could counterattack, and had it melee attack a second muton. I got an achievement for it but I really needed that other muton to not be alive anymore. :haw:

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
Alien hunters trailer for is up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcTEbPaiKn8

I love how Bradford is apparently spec'd as a Ranger. Guess he really got over his dislike of CLOSE RANGE?!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bradford stepping up to bat would be more impactful than it already is if he didn't already save Earth as the star psi-op of XCOM in my first campaign. Thanks character pool. :haw:

e: He's holding a new gun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

C'mon steam, hurry it up!