Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So these KISS ESCs, what real advantages do they have over decent BLheli ones, besides hardware PWM, which BLheli_S will also introduce, and brand loyalty? I find it curious that there's plenty of people with raging boners about them, but the same time you can read about countless instances of them disappearing in a puff of smoke for no good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

So these KISS ESCs, what real advantages do they have over decent BLheli ones, besides hardware PWM, which BLheli_S will also introduce, and brand loyalty? I find it curious that there's plenty of people with raging boners about them, but the same time you can read about countless instances of them disappearing in a puff of smoke for no good reason.

A lot of this, I think, originate from Mr. Steele, who obviously don't pay for them.
I like the concept of the Kiss FC & ESCs and have been tempted to try them. The thing stopping me,is that they are often out of stock, so when you do blow one up, a replacement is rarely readily available.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Flyduino announced that there'll be considerable stock in their own shop next weekend (can't interpret whether it's the coming one, or the one after, we'll see when the stock notification comes). That's why I'm also asking, to jump on their stock. But the question is, whether their reputation is still warranted these days, because the others have become decent/better, too.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Newer ones have a low pass filter that can deal with poof from poorly tuned quads (this can be disabled). The 24 are liked for the smooth throttle response and simplicity (no firmware updates) and the info they can send back when connected to the kiss Fc.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I think I killed my AR8000.

It seems to bind properly, but my flight controller isn't seeing any input changes, except a little bit of idle jiggle on a couple channels. :(

Any ideas?

nerox
May 20, 2001
Connex finally released the specs on their new racing quad FPV setup that is HD and "zero" latency.

http://www.getfpv.com/the-connex-prosight-hd-vision-kit.html

Specs seem good enough for racing as far as range. I think the real cool thing is that supposedly 27 pilots can fly at the same time and they won't blow each others channels out like our current analog systems.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm curious on how they deal with packet loss. Supposedly uncompressed, so I guess horizontal lines being scrambled or something.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is stereoscopic fpv quad flying a thing? I mean I'm sure someone has done it, but is it enough of a thing that there are complete solutions readily available?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Is the Pixhawk or similar the only thing that works with ArduCopter? I have an Arduino Uno and want to use that, but the ArduPilot website acts as if there's no other means of getting sensory input.

The website's "hardware" link sends me to fully integrated "flight controllers," which I thought was what the Arduino board is supposed to be.

Why is a project named after Arduino, not making it clear what role the Arduino is meant to play?

E: I also have an Intel Galileo, which can do Linux, since I saw there are a couple of Linux based "autopilots" listed

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 10, 2016

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Bad Munki posted:

Is stereoscopic fpv quad flying a thing? I mean I'm sure someone has done it, but is it enough of a thing that there are complete solutions readily available?

Yeah there are several. Skyzone sells a kit with the goggles & stereo camera.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

nerox posted:

Connex finally released the specs on their new racing quad FPV setup that is HD and "zero" latency.

http://www.getfpv.com/the-connex-prosight-hd-vision-kit.html

Specs seem good enough for racing as far as range. I think the real cool thing is that supposedly 27 pilots can fly at the same time and they won't blow each others channels out like our current analog systems.

This is awesome, and I think HD FPV in general is going to be huge for the sport in terms of spectating and getting people interested. FInally we'll be able to get some good live cockpit views during races. Thus far, live broadcast racing events have been garbage.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Stinky_Pete posted:

Is the Pixhawk or similar the only thing that works with ArduCopter? I have an Arduino Uno and want to use that, but the ArduPilot website acts as if there's no other means of getting sensory input.

The website's "hardware" link sends me to fully integrated "flight controllers," which I thought was what the Arduino board is supposed to be.

Why is a project named after Arduino, not making it clear what role the Arduino is meant to play?

E: I also have an Intel Galileo, which can do Linux, since I saw there are a couple of Linux based "autopilots" listed

Ardupilot was originally an arduino *compatible* board, based on the arduino mega. It was never intended to run of a vanilla arduino.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Ardupilot was originally an arduino *compatible* board, based on the arduino mega. It was never intended to run of a vanilla arduino.

Thanks!

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Are you bastards at Joe Nall yet? Why not? Get down here

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Wojcigitty posted:

Are you bastards at Joe Nall yet? Why not? Get down here

I have been here for a few days, I will be around later in the evening tomorrow, taking a day trip to Gatlinburg on the bike. Tomorrow being Wednesday.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Welp, unplugged my parallel charge board from my charger with two batteries attached and briefly touched the main leads together. Sparked. Checked the voltage with a dmm on main leads and the individual cells and everything is perfect, but I'm not sure if I should continue to use them or what.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 11, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

They'll be fine.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

ImplicitAssembler posted:

They'll be fine.

Cool. Leads on the para board are toast, but that's good to know. Unrelated, I decided to try some expo since I just transitioned to a much more powerful setup, 4s and redbottoms with 5045 bn tris and I'm not sure if it's something I want to get used to. Currently set at 720/77% expo. Anyone prefer little to no expo with a lot of power?

Edit: I guess it's best to just have it as low as possible and still feeling confident.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 11, 2016

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Google Butt posted:

Cool. Leads on the para board are toast, but that's good to know. Unrelated, I decided to try some expo since I just transitioned to a much more powerful setup, 4s and redbottoms with 5045 bn tris and I'm not sure if it's something I want to get used to. Currently set at 720/77% expo. Anyone prefer little to no expo with a lot of power?

Edit: I guess it's best to just have it as low as possible and still feeling confident.

I was watching one of Mr. Steele's vids the other day and he posted his rate/expo, IIRC the expo was really low and I still can't wrap my head around how he does what he does.

Mr Steele posted:

Rc rate .84 rate .85 expo .03
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKIxOhfoGM0

That yaw.. I've never been able to get a quad spin 360 degrees on a dime like that. It looks like he cuts the throttle when he does it too.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

n.. posted:

That yaw.. I've never been able to get a quad spin 360 degrees on a dime like that. It looks like he cuts the throttle when he does it too.

Because he's not yawing. He's rolling, but has the quad pointed up and down. If you watch his left hand, he almost never puts in any rudder input.

He's also got very solid expo "somewhere" in the setup, either in the flight controller or the radio. you'll see him move large portions of the stick travel with small, or almost no response from the airframe, but when he bangs the end of the gimbal, he gets those 300+deg/s roll and pitch rates.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Currently I've 540 degrees/sec with 66% expo, which feels nice and controllable. I'll be ramping up to 720° eventually for faster initiation of flips and rolls, and have to adapt the expo to match center area response of the sticks accordingly.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Nerobro posted:

Because he's not yawing. He's rolling, but has the quad pointed up and down. If you watch his left hand, he almost never puts in any rudder input.

That's not what I'm talking about. Check out 0:32 in the video. Definitely a yaw, he flicks the left stick all the way to the right and down. There's a only a bit of roll going on.

e: oh poo poo i just realized you can slow the video down on youtube. Just watched it again a 1/4 speed and yeah, he does roll hard right at the same time. I still don't get it.

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 11, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Built a Flite Test Blunt Nose Versa over the winter: http://flitetest.com/articles/blunt-nose-conversion-ft-versa-build

It was my first scratch build and went pretty well. So far the wing has been a pleasure to fly. Its stable and rock solid in calm weather, and manageable when the wind picks up. Tough too, I had the prop saver come loose today, effectively killing power just after launch, and it smacked a bush and cartwheeled along the ground. No damage, pretty happy about that.

Here it is flying in next to no wind (a rarity around here) and getting up above the fog coming off lake michigan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XtazoH_K5Q

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
For a friend: Is there a goto entry level charger that can do balancing and is better than the crap charger that comes with RTR RCs?

I have a Traxxas EZ Peak 6A charger (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-EZ-Peak-Plus-2933-80-Watt-6-Amp-Charging-/172187955389?hash=item281733b0bd:g:LmEAAOSw3mpXJQ1m), but it looks like they don't make it anymore. Something along those lines would be fine. My friend has a Syma 8C quadcopter that uses a 2S battery and I told him he should get a charger that can discharge/storage/balance etc.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

dreesemonkey posted:

For a friend: Is there a goto entry level charger that can do balancing and is better than the crap charger that comes with RTR RCs?

I have a Traxxas EZ Peak 6A charger (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-EZ-Peak-Plus-2933-80-Watt-6-Amp-Charging-/172187955389?hash=item281733b0bd:g:LmEAAOSw3mpXJQ1m), but it looks like they don't make it anymore. Something along those lines would be fine. My friend has a Syma 8C quadcopter that uses a 2S battery and I told him he should get a charger that can discharge/storage/balance etc.

This is the one most people refer to as a "standard 4-button charger". There's a bunch of clones of it around, but they're all basically the same.
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__58285__IMAX_B6AC_V2_Professional_Balance_Charger_Discharger.html

I've been using it for 6 months to balance charge 10 or so batteries twice a week. I use it with a parallel charging board so I can plug in 6 batteries at once.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

If you want to get something that will be good for a long time, the 300w turnigy reaktor (icharger 206b clone) is $65 and probably the best bang for your buck. It does require a 12v-24v psu, which you can find here http://lipoconnectionsolutions.com

If you can afford the 24v with multiple main leads you'll be set for long, long time. 12v will be fine up to 227ish watts.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 12, 2016

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Thanks guys, I think the reaktor is a bit overkill. I'll recommend a 4-button clone as that should be good for him for a while.

Good info on the parallel charging board too, I didn't know such a thing existed. How does it balance multiple battery's cells?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

dreesemonkey posted:

Thanks guys, I think the reaktor is a bit overkill. I'll recommend a 4-button clone as that should be good for him for a while.

Good info on the parallel charging board too, I didn't know such a thing existed. How does it balance multiple battery's cells?

It'll basically average it out, so if you are charging multiple batteries, they really need to at similar starting voltage and balance.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nerobro posted:

He's also got very solid expo "somewhere" in the setup, either in the flight controller or the radio. you'll see him move large portions of the stick travel with small, or almost no response from the airframe, but when he bangs the end of the gimbal, he gets those 300+deg/s roll and pitch rates.

He could be using super expo mode as well (or I guess acro plus, dont know when they switched that in cleanflight/bf)

edit: I bought a 3 month trial membership to the ama and will be going to flitefest even if I dont end up flying anything

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 12, 2016

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
What's the smallest/lightest charger that'll accept DC input?

Also, do lipos explode if they're charged while supplying power?

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the cheapest something that can carry a GoPro (or more likely a chinese knockoff of a gopro) for 10 minutes?

I don't need gimbal, I definitely don't expect realtime visual, it doesn't need to go fast, it doesn't need to write letters home nor do my taxes. I want to have some fun and carry a gopro sized camera (which won't be used exclusively on the vehicle, a lovely PAL resolution one won't do).

I can solder stuff no problem (including populating of PCBs, although probably not these bottom-side-only chips), I can buy a pile of parts from an RC store and I can follow simple instructions. I am willing to spend some good manhours in assembling some bumfuck opensource kit if it's actually going to fly and if I am not going to find out that I only saved up $10 in the end anyway (for all I know, the Chinese might grow them for cheaper, that's why I am asking).

Include both ends of the radio into the price too, please.

Teal fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 13, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I built a blunt-nose flite test versa for $4 of dollar store foam board and it carries a GoPro really well

https://youtu.be/9XtazoH_K5Q

Are you looking for something prebuilt or what?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DreadLlama posted:

Also, do lipos explode if they're charged while supplying power?

I assume you mean w/r/t something like having a solar circuit in the mix? no, that will work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMkPjBf6dNQ

definitely goes into negative amp draw in the process of flying

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Teal posted:

What's the cheapest something that can carry a GoPro (or more likely a chinese knockoff of a gopro) for 10 minutes?

I don't need gimbal, I definitely don't expect realtime visual, it doesn't need to go fast, it doesn't need to write letters home nor do my taxes. I want to have some fun and carry a gopro sized camera (which won't be used exclusively on the vehicle, a lovely PAL resolution one won't do).

I can solder stuff no problem (including populating of PCBs, although probably not these bottom-side-only chips), I can buy a pile of parts from an RC store and I can follow simple instructions. I am willing to spend some good manhours in assembling some bumfuck opensource kit if it's actually going to fly and if I am not going to find out that I only saved up $10 in the end anyway (for all I know, the Chinese might grow them for cheaper, that's why I am asking).

quanum nova pro is $330 and includes everything (you'll want more batteries). Going for a foam flying wing would be cool though, $98 for most of what you need from flitetest, $120 for 9xr pro + dsmx module + receiver / stabilizer, plus batteries

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Teal posted:

If you want to go the cheapest ready to fly method, a syma x8c will carry a GoPro.

The next step up would be an X380. Gearbest.com has the XK X380 for $209-$233 which is a nice gps quad with great battery life and lifting power.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's exactly what I needed to hear, fellas. Thanks a bunch!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I built a blunt-nose flite test versa for $4 of dollar store foam board and it carries a GoPro really well

https://youtu.be/9XtazoH_K5Q

Are you looking for something prebuilt or what?

I have very little experience with the entire shtick, but decent experience with electronics and stuff-construction and I wouldn't be shy to put something together, but I kinda presumed that all-finished deals would be cheaper, quadcopter wise.

And no I am glad you guys mentioned the flying wings as well, I was curious what are the options there. I think I will go with a quad for now, but maybe in the future I might get a wing, too.

Teal fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 13, 2016

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

dreesemonkey posted:

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Hobby-Ace-Bat...c77ad4f3dcbfdcf

As long as the batteries are the same type, e.g. 3S Lipo, and are at similar starting voltages (within 0.1 Volts). Then it's completely safe and they just average out the charge across all of them.

You can mix and match capacities, as long as the starting voltages are the same.
You can NOT mix and match cell counts, i.e. trying to para charge a 3S and 4S could explode :)

Some people say it's safer to parallel charge, Reading material: http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/parallel-lipo-charging.html

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Liquid tape is the best.

Also when soldering to a depinned board, run the wire through the hole and solder on the other side. Don't pre-fill the holes with solder and try and push them through as it melts, just push the tinned wire ends through first, then dab a tiny amount of solder on the other side. Much easier and more secure.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 14, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What are some good and light cameras to stick on a miniquad? I don't mean a FPV camera, but a GoPro style one to record higher quality videos, but without costing half a kidney.

I had almost settled on the Runcam 2, because you can also get rid of the battery and power it directly on a 4S battery, making things only weigh 35gr (plus 2gr for the cable and plug), but turns out it ain't as sharp as it could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

What are some good and light cameras to stick on a miniquad? I don't mean a FPV camera, but a GoPro style one to record higher quality videos, but without costing half a kidney.

I had almost settled on the Runcam 2, because you can also get rid of the battery and power it directly on a 4S battery, making things only weigh 35gr (plus 2gr for the cable and plug), but turns out it ain't as sharp as it could be.

I think the first batch of Runcam2's had focus issues, but that should have been sorted now?